Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Mensa? anyone?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 151
Mensa? anyone?Page 11 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
* I passed the test, by the way - comfortably, from that I remember. Then they said "congratulations, pay whatever to join for a year!" or something and I basically just said "ok, that was fun."

There has never been an on-line unproctored test that would qualify one for entrance to Mensa.

However, there are MANY standardized tests that can be used to qualify. I used the Graduate Record Exam. My score also qualified for Intertel (99%).

http://www.us.mensa.org/AML/?LinkServID=005EB3F7-B83A-44BA-B4FFD5114A1AC31D

it was too education biased as compared to the psychologist administered tests I took in the past ... This creates a selection bias within Mensa, not just of intelligent people, but intelligent people with similar backgrounds and/or ages (as many forget or confuse formulas for things like area over the years - I don't even think I remember how to get a radius since I haven't done it in 20 years or something). This would exclude many higher IQ people farther removed from academia or not formally educated, which is actually very limiting.

Wrong. There are a number of Psychological Tests which are accepted for qualifying test scores:

Tests administered by private psychologists
California Test of Mental Maturity (CTMM) IQ 132
Cattell IQ 148
Differential Ability Scales (DAS) GCA 132
Reynolds Intellectual Assessment Scales IQ 132
Stanford Binet IQ 132
Stanford Binet 5 IQ 130

Please note that the Home Test is not mandatory for membership, cannot be used as qualifying evidence of prior testing, and will only be scored for those age 14 and older. An English-based verbal section is included in this test. We understand this section might not show a true indication of the abilities of some applicants who might qualify for a culture fair test. We do offer a culture fair, language-free test for admission into Mensa. Please contact your local testing coordinator about culture fair testing.
Their mission is to INCLUDE as many qualifying people as possible, from any type of background.

As far as not accommodating people who lack the resources to test and join, that is not true, either. Mensa has funding to help out those who are sincere in their desires to join and support its tenets.

High IQ societies are simply that - based on an IQ score from a standardized exam.
Not subjective/ soft assessments (Artistic skills, Emotional IQ, etc.). Some High IQ societies require a High IQ as well as an artistic bent. There is one for poets, for example. Yes. People with high IQs often "recognize" each other. They may or may not have social, debating, listening, communication or other skills, but they are different.

An "intelligent" conversation may be where an exchange goes, but it is really prejudicial to categorize them as being socially inept.
Many DO tend to be overly analytical and not as interested in socializing as other people.

Oh, well. Sometimes it's just an exercise in vanity to join a group like this, but my chapter has some good topics and cool people.
Many high IQ clubs are trying not to "age out" and struggling to attract a younger demographic that "socializes" in cyberspace.
Don't let it bug you when there are clubs like this. It's just a measurement.

There are clubs for people who have achieved a certain height, been to a certain number of foreign countries, etc.
 sassyscorpiochick
Msg: 152
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/15/2014 12:39:50 AM
Why would someone with that high of an IQ want to be with someone who is of normal intelligence? MENSA claims to have the top 2% of people with the highest IQs in the world.

People have told me I'm smart, I'm good with people , bla bla but it feels strange to me that the man I'm seeing is so much more intelligent or has a much higher IQ.
 AddHomonym
Msg: 153
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/16/2014 11:37:05 AM
Mensa? Every time I have ever considered joining Mensa I took a moment to weigh the pros of membership against the cons of the costs and hassles involved. At no point, has this ever worked out to being even something worthy of a passing consideration.

Mensa can kiss my ass, I have been weighed and measured by far better people already...lol

When Mensa is willing to pay me for joining and hand-deliver a membership card, I might consider it.
 sigungq
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/16/2014 6:36:08 PM

strangerstill wrote:

Mensa members are like anyone else other than the inflated egos they get from reminding everyone they're mensa members.

Not all Mensa members are like that. And I've never found Mensa to be a dating club.
 Ainen
Msg: 155
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/16/2014 8:06:42 PM
Msg 279 shows typical illogic and dysfunction by Mensa members.

"Unless you're a member..."

Replace "Mensa" with "Westboro Baptist Church" or "Ku Klux Klan" and you might see how some (most) people can know they don't want to be a member without joining.

You don't have to consume excrement to know it doesn't taste good.
 ohenryx
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/16/2014 8:25:17 PM

Mensa can kiss my ass…, I have been weighed and measured by far better people already...lol

Msg 279 shows typical illogic and dysfunction by Mensa members.

Mensa members are like anyone else other than the inflated egos they get from reminding everyone they're mensa members.

Do I detect an odor of “sour grapes”?
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 157
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/16/2014 9:42:42 PM
I think it's a curse.

Being smart just means I'm more aware of problems which means more stress.

I've only met 4 women smarter then me and they were a fvcked up bunch!
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 158
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/17/2014 6:36:53 AM
Strange as this sounds, this first time I heard of mensa.....I was like "menses?" Seriously, that was my first thought when I heard of this term.....go figure.....
 AddHomonym
Msg: 159
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/17/2014 12:03:46 PM

Do I detect an odor of “sour grapes”?

I can see why you might think so but it's not like that. My problem has more to do with the inherent arrogance and self-importance of having people pay good money to line-up and wait around to be tested by a group that does nothing, contributes nothing, produces nothing, etc.

What is the point other than having a card in your wallet to brag about? Who could you hope to impress with such a thing? Certainly not intelligent and accomplished people.

Imagine a group that sells memberships to a club that is exclusively for rich people. Do you whip out your gold card to impress some girl at a bar? Would anyone with money care one whit about your membership card? Would anyone with sense be impressed by such a thing? Or would people make their minds up about you based on other things that have absolutely nothing to do with it?

The smartest and most talented people I know never speak about I.Q. scores and I've never even seen a Mensa membership card. There is a sickly odour of desperation and insecurity about the whole thing.

From my perspective, Mensa's requirements actively discourage intelligent people while attracting those who want the instant recognition of being intelligent, without having to do any work.
 sigungq
Msg: 160
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/17/2014 2:06:48 PM

drivingharmony2 wrote:

Strange as this sounds, this first time I heard of mensa.....I was like "menses?" Seriously, that was my first thought when I heard of this term.....go figure.....

Were you having a "blonde mensa moment" there Mz. Harmony?........
 roch64
Msg: 161
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/17/2014 3:01:39 PM

Sigungg, as a Mensan, you ought to know that this sort of sexist attitude is not what Mensa promotes, or approves of, or, to be frank, tolerates.

As a lapsed yet loyal M, I implore you to apologize to DrivingHarmony, and to all female persons who are now or who may in future become blonde, and further to give us your assurance that this conduct will not be repeated.

I expect some prompt contrition on your part, Sigungg, or further action may be taken.

Cute blondes are just too hard to come by.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 162
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/17/2014 6:56:16 PM

I guess I should have added that I was 12 when I first heard of Mensa.....so there....

Sigungg, as a Mensan, you ought to know that this sort of sexist attitude is not what Mensa promotes, or approves of, or, to be frank, tolerates.
As a lapsed yet loyal M, I implore you to apologize to DrivingHarmony, and to all female persons who are now or who may in future become blonde, and further to give us your assurance that this conduct will not be repeated.
I expect some prompt contrition on your part, Sigungg, or further action may be taken.
Cute blondes are just too hard to come by.

^^^No apology necessary.......and your last statement is soooo true. LOL :)
 PrettyPonyGirl
Msg: 163
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/17/2014 8:13:14 PM
I am a Mensa member. Trust me it doesn't make you any more successful in finding Love. I so wish it did :)
 Coma_White
Msg: 164
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/18/2014 2:22:37 AM

Not all of us have inflated egos, especially when you have never been able to get a date. If anything, there is no ego left after so many years of being turned down.

I guess a Mensa membership isn't all it's cracked up to be. People of "average" intelligence have figured out how to get dates, even if they're not tall, dark and handsome. They've also realized that it's silly to take it personally if someone turns down a date with you. The irony is that it's your ego that causes you to take it personally. It doesn't destroy your ego, it feeds it. People sit around and think: "How could she turn ME down?" Once people get over themselves and start having fun, they get a lot more dates.
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/19/2014 9:25:20 AM
OK, you take a test and then you are gifted with the Mensa title. Big deal. The several Mensa men I've encountered were arrogant and rude. Nothing beats good old common sense and knowing how to deal with real life.
 Ainen
Msg: 166
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/23/2014 12:36:34 PM
When Mensa or Mensa members get criticized, they typically respond with "sour grapes" as shown in this thread. At least the guy here was concise. Usually they're wordy, spewing a long sentence or paragraph assuming the other person didn't score high enough to get in.

Then we who are not members reveal we DID score in the top 2% on tests, but chose not to join.

I was National Merit Commended which means the PSAT test I took at age 15, doubling the Verbal and adding the Math, was in the top 2% of all who took the test. Most of us could get in but have no desire to be in.

As Groucho says, I would not want to be in a group that would have me as a member.

As to Mensans being sexist, they have considered lowering the standards to get in for female applicants.

One of the easiest Usenet newsgroups to troll was rec.org.mensa because they're not very bright. I never trolled them because it would be too easy, not "sporting". I did ridicule a Mensa member who used my city's .general group to advertise the regional chapter. The URL in her post was wrong! When someone pointed this out, the poster tried to claim the errant link was an IQ test to figure out the correct one. Never admitting they're wrong is characteristic of Mensa members. One troll trolled rec.org.mensa with "The pen is mightier than the sword". It drove them crazy. People with Assburgers and HFA often see anagrams and put letters and words together.
 roch64
Msg: 167
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/23/2014 2:03:31 PM

As to Mensans being sexist, they have considered lowering the standards to get in for female applicants.

If you think that Mensa has a problem with a paucity of the lesser I mean fairer sex, I can tell you that the problem is worse in TNS, and presumably the other higher IQ societies.

My own solution - conscription - while unarguably effective, has been nixed by our attorneys.
 not_single_x
Msg: 168
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/24/2014 11:07:09 AM

wolvesatthedoor: I have always viewed Mensa people as just being less retarded than the norm. Real intellect CANT be measured with their easy tests

I'm going to wager a guess that you haven't taken "their easy tests".
 Coma_White
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/24/2014 11:11:40 AM

I'm going to wager a guess that you haven't taken "their easy tests".

Have you taken them? It sounds like you're attacking the person saying the argument instead of actually addressing the topic.
 sigungq
Msg: 170
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/24/2014 2:16:28 PM

PrettyPonyGirl wrote:

I am a Mensa member. Trust me it doesn't make you any more successful in finding Love. I so wish it did :)

If anything, I believe a high IQ is a burden when it comes to dating.
 Coma_White
Msg: 171
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/25/2014 10:13:08 AM

If anything, I believe a high IQ is a burden when it comes to dating.

Why would it be? You would think intelligence would help a person understand and master social dynamics and interactions. Maybe we need to question how we measure intelligence. It shouldn't be that hard to learn the basics of dating and attraction.
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 172
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/25/2014 2:48:52 PM
Mensa has recently partnered with Match to create a dating site that focuses on high IQ:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/06/25/mensa-match-online-dating-geniuses/11348115/
 whippedboi
Msg: 173
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/25/2014 4:27:11 PM

You would think intelligence would help a person understand and master social dynamics and interactions.

but dating dynamics does not succumb to logic.

"logically", perhaps kissing a woman's butt and treating her like gold would make her like you

in reality it makes most women judge you as lesser that you have to do that to be with her

it's like a supply and demand, if you demand her that much it lowers your own value
 not_single_x
Msg: 174
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/25/2014 4:54:52 PM

Coma_White: Have you taken them? It sounds like you're attacking the person saying the argument instead of actually addressing the topic.

Yes. I've taken them and I've got the Mensa certificate hanging on my wall.
 Coma_White
Msg: 175
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/25/2014 7:29:05 PM

but dating dynamics does not succumb to logic.

"logically", perhaps kissing a woman's butt and treating her like gold would make her like you

in reality it makes most women judge you as lesser that you have to do that to be with her

it's like a supply and demand, if you demand her that much it lowers your own value

It's actually very logical. There is no logic in thinking that kissing a woman's butt will make her like you. That's approval seeking behaviour. There's no reason why it would trigger attraction in anyone. If "average" people that aren't in mensa can figure out these basics, you would think that highly intelligent people could learn the same things.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Mensa? anyone?