Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Mensa? anyone?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dogs rule
Msg: 26
Mensa? anyone?Page 2 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
Anyway, my feeling is that we should treat everyone fairly and accept good and kind people, no matter their intellect level, with friendship and dignity.

Well of course but because someone can kick my butt on jeopardy doesn't make them better than me either. We need all makes and kinds of people on every level for just about every facet of life. But the some of the most intelligent people I know could figure out what size their tires are or why their car is making a knock noise when they never check their all and kept driving when the red light came on. Thats logic
I am not putting anyone down and I want to be with a smart woman. But my point still stands they might score high on a test about logic but every day logic is different or maybe I should say common sense
 NorseViking869
Msg: 27
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 3/25/2008 2:44:28 PM

Mensa members are like anyone else other than the inflated egos they get from reminding everyone they're mensa members.
\

What egos???
 sxyvirgo
Msg: 28
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 3/25/2008 3:09:06 PM
Ehhh - everybody says geniuses may be smart but they lack common sense....well - MOST people I know lack common sense, genius or not!

Just don't play the whole "sour grapes" card 'cuz you don't qualify for Mensa - failing Mensa doesn't mean you're automatically street smart, you know!
 jeepchix
Msg: 29
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 3/27/2008 2:22:57 PM
Sage actually there is quite a bit of research on children with high IQ's and the personality "type" that goes along with that....much of which is their brains are going so fast, that many times regular life alludes them and gives them the "appearance" of being an airhead......but I don't want to get into that too much.

I guess I will qualify my statement more in saying that many who feel they have to have the card to show off/flaunt are insecure...it's kind of like the "I've got a big one" guys that have to brag.
....I've known/tested people with HUGE IQ's who were incredibly secure, intellegent, personable, normal, regular people. I have two daughters who both have pretty high IQ's (both above 140) and they both have vastly different personalities just like any other sisters. One is the typical brainiac airhead with no common sense and the other is incredibly well-grounded yet they both have their "gifted" qualities and are great!!
 justin_mtl
Msg: 30
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 4/1/2008 10:54:24 PM
Do you think having a handicaped people club is to show the world how handicaped they are?

No

Same for this club. But it seems harder to understand for most people strangely enough.
 justin_mtl
Msg: 31
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 4/2/2008 4:06:42 PM

4. Average IQ scores for groups: Philosophers 160; Scientists 159; Fiction writers 152; Statesmen 150; Musicians 149; Artists 153; Soldiers 136.

None of that is true. It's not even close.
 AAuroraAA
Msg: 32
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 4/2/2008 4:41:11 PM
Descriptive Classifications of Intelligence Quotients

IQ Description % of Population
130+ Very superior 2.2%
120-129 Superior 6.7%
110-119 High average 16.1%
90-109 Average 50%
80-89 Low average 16.1%
70-79 Borderline 6.7%
Below 70 Extremely low 2.2%
 whitegold765
Msg: 33
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 4/2/2008 6:51:31 PM
I doubt I'd qualify for Mensa, I think I'm just slightly under their "standard". I have excellent language skills which make me SEEM to have a very high IQ, but my mathematics and pattern matching and problem solving skills are pretty average. I still in general am "above average", but not by enough for their requirements.

That being said, I could think of few things less exciting than hanging around with a bunch of people with whom I have nothing in common except "being rather smart".

I've only ever known one guy who was in Mensa and I wouldn't trust him to use the right end of a hammer. He might have been super-intelligent, but he just wasn't that "bright", if you know what I mean.

(Though by the same token my old nan was invited to join Mensa repeatedly, as her IQ is around 160, substantially above "genius".)
 justin_mtl
Msg: 34
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 4/2/2008 11:14:09 PM
ooo nevermind.
 Vyper┬«
Msg: 35
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 4/2/2008 11:51:12 PM
I'm a Mensa member and I admit, we generally aren't a very swank bunch , but if pontificating and engaging in wandering, philosophical dialogue is something that you can see as "fun," then you might find someone within our ranks with whom you share some common threads. And it's always a nice start to have at least a FEW things in common.
 matchlessm
Msg: 36
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 4/3/2008 12:16:38 AM
I was in that Mensa for a while, but I got out. Too many darn boneheads--bored hell outa me.
 jeepchix
Msg: 37
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 4/14/2008 4:54:14 AM
Nosey, since apparently you know it all (hence proving my previous statement about know it alls) then perhaps you can tell me about educational diagnostic testing utilized to determine elgibility for special education services which INCLUDE IQ tests.......go ahead and lay it out there since I am being promoted to that position next school year.
 CherylCake
Msg: 38
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 4/14/2008 7:16:18 AM
I just read a release where the MENSA people got awards for coming up with new words for the year. My fave is "Ignoranus" word for a stupid a$$hole.
 feedem
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 4/14/2008 7:22:33 AM
Ignoranus

As opposed to .......Intellianus? (smart ass hole)
 texerotic2
Msg: 40
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 4/14/2008 8:00:12 AM
As someone who has been "recruited" by the group, and who has attended their "gatherings," I can attest that such a group is no better nor no worse than any other "social gathering" - be it live, or online. Now, in my own personal experience, the mingling with these particular people was not very enlightening, but that is only because I found them to be far too Leftist-Elitist for my tastes. It was as if I were hanging out with a bunch of Liberal Arts professors, from a left-leaning university. Conversation was indeed on an intelligent level, but I found very little common ground, as for the most part...we could not even agree on the color of the sky (and whether or not it was the government's responsibility, through repressive over-taxation, to ensure it was a certain color, and regulate it...lol. **** ) Ahhh...give me the sanity and common-sense logic of the typical friend from "corporate America" or from the armed forces...or from the local "right-wing gun club"...lol.

**** A joke. An exercise in hyperbole. An editorial about the Left wanting to have the Government control all, and be financed by extorting even more money from the private sector. (Those who reside in "the Left" usually fail to grasp humor..too busy wringing their hands over all of the world's cruel injustices, I guess...)
 texerotic2
Msg: 41
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 4/14/2008 10:58:53 AM

Years ago I found myself idling in a "Left Turn Only" lane waiting for the light to go green.
In front of me was a car with a "Mensa" license plate holder.
Said car had his left blinker going as he waited.

Although the laws may vary state-by-state...I believe it is still pretty much "the law" to use the turn signal, even in that situation. The oncoming traffic, from the other direction, may not be aware that that lane is "Left Turn Only." (However, and this is a true story...I have known a Mensa member who actually went to the store, looking for a bottle of "Turn Signal Fluid" for his car...lol.)
 CherylCake
Msg: 42
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 4/19/2008 1:32:56 PM
Hipatitis...terminally cool. That's what they do in their spare time. Come up with new words. I can appreciate that, and I'm a blon...blo...oh, I don't know.
 CherylCake
Msg: 43
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 4/21/2008 7:41:38 AM
I never join any organization that would have me for a member.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 4/21/2008 8:45:11 AM
I don't need MENSA to help me find and intelligent woman.

I'll know she's intelligent because she'll want to spend the rest of her life with me.

Montreal_Guy
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 4/21/2008 8:50:40 AM
My definition of wisdom is knowing how stupid you can really be at times, and appreciating that fact.
 Fefe_FXDL
Msg: 46
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 4/21/2008 2:09:46 PM

I's don't no what this Mensa is, but i dang shur Nascar is faster. Doesn't mensa gots sumpin to du with 'That time a the month"?

Intelligence is one thing, it's what you do with it that is another. Some choose to use it to claim superiority over others. Others use it for entertainment.

Personally, I would prefer to date beershark before any self-proclaimed Mensa member...because a guy HAS to be pretty bright to be that funny! Smart AND funny is better than one or the other any day!
 sarasotagal76
Msg: 47
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 4/21/2008 3:16:52 PM
Mensa is discriminating. Many countries do not have it and in the US you have to take the test on English. It is not fair for immigrants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 littleaudrey
Msg: 48
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 4/24/2008 7:15:16 AM
Yes! This was once explained to me on one of these boards, actually. People with very high IQs are different by nature. They are not average, they think differently, define things differently. It affects your life and your way of relating to other people. Groups like MENSA are great because you'll get to know other people like yourself. I encourage you to do it; at one point, I considered joining it as a social club, but I felt that there wouldn't be enough people my age (I'm 24) to make it worthwhile. I should still join, even though I'm engaged. I just have this persistent alienation relating to intelligence levels that I think could only be fixed by me meeting others like me.
 abelian
Msg: 49
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 7/23/2008 11:44:57 PM
Both my brother and I qualified through some standardized test. My brother joined, told me not to waste my time and then quit. Basically, his opinion of the people he met there were that they were overly impressed with themselves without having much reason to be.
 circe 1
Msg: 50
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 7/24/2008 6:07:34 PM
I would say joining any club is a great way to meet a potential mate. But, just remember, having a high IQ is not necessarily an indication of HIGH CHARACTER, which is what any emotionally stable, rational person is looking for in a potential partner.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Mensa? anyone?