Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Mensa? anyone?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Rythmn
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?Page 3 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
like any other organization, not specifically for singles, every area is different and people are all different. the nice thing about mensa is that you don't have to pretend a piece of you doesn't exist, in order to make everyone happy. however, not all kinds of smarts will qualify you for membership. i will never know, because i came down with my lymes shortly after my friends and one employee had convinced me to try to qualify for it. they were already members and the chapter activities back east were supposedly great back then.

you can get many of the mensa publications however. furthermore, there are a number of pof'ers in mensa. not sure, but you can search the threads and the interest section and if any findings, just ask the people themselves, or better still, contact your local chapter. and, start practicing for the test!!!

well, some will argue either you have it or you don't--but, i disagree. tests are (wo)manmade and tailored to certain market segments, plus (as with asberger's) some individuals have highly developed aspects of their brain, sitting right next to the "other" not so highly functioning aspects.

at any rate, go fishing wherever you can find other than just "virtual" bodies. online is not enough. you won't really know,until you've tried it.
 REDDRAGON.
Msg: 52
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 3/29/2010 2:44:30 AM

We talk about what it's like to deal with a high IQ sometimes, but mostly, we have tons of fun. I joined Mensa because my IQ is about 50 points above average. The average retarded person is 30 points below average. To put things in perspective, my talking to an average person, is like an average person talking to someone who is severely retarded. I wanted to spend time with others who know what that is like. No harm in that. However, I think so many of these spiteful, (and ignorant,) assumptions about Mensa come from jealousy and insecurity.

I have no desire to hang out with any group that has to convince me they belong on a pedestal.

I'd have much more fun with the retards.
 EdwardPartSix
Msg: 53
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 3/29/2010 9:16:40 AM

The average retarded person is 30 points below average. To put things in perspective, my talking to an average person, is like an average person talking to someone who is severely retarded.

LOL. I hope that was a joke.
 Super_Eve
Msg: 54
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 3/29/2010 9:35:45 AM
My only response to this:

Unlike pretty much everyone who has posted in this thread, I actually am a Mensa member, and you can't even imagine how far most of these stereotypes vary from the truth.

Is this:

Mensa members are like anyone else other than the inflated egos they get from reminding everyone they're mensa members.

late™
Msg: 55
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 3/29/2010 10:42:13 AM
To put things in perspective, my talking to an average person, is like an average person talking to someone who is severely retarded.[1]

Illustrates very succinctly that being a mensa member doesn't make one immune to employing fallacious reasoning or *having terrible math skills.

*Even if your analogy wasn't flawed; in order for this to be true --> "my talking to an average person, is like an average person talking to someone who is severely retarded"; you would have to have an IQ of 200+ points (Stanford-Binet) as "severely retarded" is an IQ of +/- 25 points (Standard, lower on the Stanford-Binet scale) , of course, you can be forgiven this math mistake because you moved the goal-posts in your own analogy when you made it personal.

I hope that anyone who does qualify for Mensa will reconsider based on the truth and that **those who don't qualify would stop being so ***jealous.

** I'm not one of them (snicker)
***Ha ha ha... you spelled "indifferent" wrong.

Edit:

Maybe the term doesn't offend many people, but it certainly offends me.

It all depends on context,

[1]...in this case I'm inclined to agree with you.
 GotAHubCapDiamondStarHalo
Msg: 56
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 3/29/2010 5:29:57 PM
There have been some "pairings" in the Colorado Mensa groups. I remember one meeting that was heavily attended by men who lived in cabins having no electricity or running water (sort of Unabomber style). People are from all walks of life, but I never saw it as primarily dating opp.
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 3/29/2010 5:55:47 PM
^^^^ Definitely sounds like way more fun than when I went to something they were putting on once down here in The Springs.

I met a hermit who lived in a cave way back in the mountains when I was about ten. Now you've got me wondering if he was a Mensa member...
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 58
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 3/29/2010 6:00:38 PM
I qualified for it about 30 years ago but after I went to one so-called "party" held by the group where I was living at the time, I never went back, and never renewed my dues. I joined to meet people on a social and business networking basis, but the people whom I met at the time really weren't worth meeting. And I don't say that about too many people.

So, since I've probably killed a few brain cells by then, I never went back.
 RoadWarriorPrincess
Msg: 59
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 3/29/2010 6:01:22 PM
“I'd never join a club that would allow a person like me to become a member.” - Woody Allen
 junipermoon
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 3/29/2010 6:19:16 PM

I see your Woody and raise you a Groucho...

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." ~ Groucho Marx

both of you go back to page one, message 13.
 EdwardPartSix
Msg: 61
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 3/30/2010 9:05:24 AM
Why wouldn't this turn into a flame war? People on this thread had a perception of Mensa members that they are pretentious jerks, then a Mensa member comes onto the thread a year later and sounds like a pretentious jerk. And you expect people not to have fun with that?
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 3/30/2010 10:09:16 AM
then a Mensa member comes onto the thread a year later and sounds like a pretentious jerk.

Well, I'm a Mensa member and I'm not a pretentious jerk. I'm an *obnoxious* jerk. There's a difference.
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 63
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 3/30/2010 10:28:07 AM
There is a huge difference between knowledge and wisdom. The lady making the comments about retarded people may in fact have knowledge however her statement clearly shows she lacks the wisdom to use that knowledge.

Her post smacks of superiority. Her lack of compassion and her haughtiness is a reflection of that.

In grade school I had the privilege of knowing a boy that was considered retarded. While his thoughts were simple his ability to love and connect were far above average.
He and I became friends, one day some bullies decided that I would be a easy target, they started pushing me around and my friend saw what was happening.
He rushed over and before I could even think about what was going on had knocked all three of the bullies on there butts.

Helped me up and asked if I was ok. When the dust settled with the teachers and they found out what had happened we were sent back to class.
Needless to say after that the bullies stayed away from us.

I said all that to say this. People with learning disabilities may not be able to do complex math problems, however they excel in the really important things in life. Such as knowing that all people should be shown respect and honor.

Seems to me the poster here may be capable of grand thoughts however her ability to engage her brain before her mouth or in this case fingers is severely retarded!!!
 late™
Msg: 64
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 3/30/2010 10:48:51 AM

There is a huge difference between knowledge and wisdom.

And a corresponding difference between intelligence and knowledge, as there is even with "IQ" and intelligence.

IQ really is meaningless when it comes to the quality of a person's character, or even their ability to contribute to society.

It's just a number, and not one that has much use, ...if you really think about it.
 REDDRAGON.
Msg: 65
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 3/30/2010 11:20:16 AM
http://crime.about.com/od/deathrow/ig/Florida-Death-Row-Inmates/George-Trepal.htm

One Mensa member who wasn't very smart after all.

He thretened to kill the family because they were "loud"

interesting read.
 REDDRAGON.
Msg: 66
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 3/30/2010 8:41:34 PM
Once again, swirlman ^^^has made an excellent point.

some of it very is rhetorical.

That is the problem I see with brainiac's 30 points above and below contention; the facts, which many people have observed first-hand, do not fully support her statement. Apparently several other people see that problem as well, and have commented on it. It had the effect of weakening her argument, and seems to have in fact bolstered the arguments made by others.

part of being truly intelligent is not having to prove it to others.

Mensa is just another group created for people to hang out together because they are the only ones who will tolerate each other .
 GotAHubCapDiamondStarHalo
Msg: 67
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 3/31/2010 4:26:37 AM
I think a lot of people get worked up about IQ like it was some kind of class distinction. Our society has a democratic bent, so some people feel it is necessary to point out failings in "smart" people to reassure themselves that the smart people are not better off. Sort of like how we middle class people like to try to convince ourselves that money can't buy happiness. There is a club for tall people called the Timberline Club. These types of clubs are just "Affiliations" for those who have a common and discernable characteristic.
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 3/31/2010 11:01:39 AM
^^^^ Uhm, but the OP was asking for anecdotes.

Obviously it would not be strictly Mensa-esque to draw sweeping and rigid generalizations from these, though certain trends due tend to emerge, whether or not they're flattering or entertaining or whatever.
 JeepHammer
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 3/31/2010 12:15:20 PM
I took the tests with a friend of mine, I got in, he didn't.
That created a rift between us.

I actually never thought I would come anywhere close to getting in, but it happened.
I paid the dues for 3 years, attended meetings, engaged in several conversations that were esoteric at best, mostly pointless and endless...
After 3 years I quite paying dues, so I guess I'm out now.

I'm much happier with my 'Dumb' friends!
At least they can laugh at a joke without trying to analyze it to death!

I did meet a few people I'm still friends with...
Most were pompous asses arguing over who had the best eduction,
All the while not realizing education only makes you more knowledgeable, not a better person... You have to do that on your own!

For an organization that states it's existence is for the betterment of mankind,
They didn't do ANYTHING but debate/argue about stuff all the time,
Never actually came up with an idea or picked up a shovel and DID anything the three years I was a member.

Big Brothers & Big Sisters, the Mentor Programs, ect. are a MUCH better use of my time in my opinion,
And I meet a better class of people there!
 sweetest
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 3/31/2010 12:52:46 PM

....the point was that nobody seems to complain until it's about intelligence. Then a bunch of feathers get ruffled.

^^^Topics and criteria/preferences on weight also seem to have a similar effect.

These types of clubs are just "Affiliations" for those who have a common and discernable characteristic.

Would people be as upset if there was a club of people with 5"+ noses? I don't think anybody would care.

^^^Nope. That's because this particular affiliation offers no inherent perceived benefit or advantage...

IQ gives us an advantage....

^^^And that I think is the nugget imo.
Perceived advantage... To some any perceived advantage in great big playing field of life (and of course dating)...is what this issue is about.

Whether it's a completely irrational thought process doesn't matter; some people will see anything that enhances advantage when compared to what they have to offer to be patently unfair. That could explain some of the derision...although, to be honest...I've not seen much here.

Anyway, that's my take on it...and that imo, is also why weight criterion and preferences get people's hackles up, it seems an unfair advantage to some to be dismissed for something that seems to them anyway.. luck ; both groups believing that there is no opportunity to even the playing field and change the odds. jmo
 REDDRAGON.
Msg: 71
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 3/31/2010 12:53:06 PM

For an organization that states it's existence is for the betterment of mankind,
Never actually came up with an idea or picked up a shovel and DID anything the three years I was a member.

too much knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

thank you for your post jeephammer.
 Kranck
Msg: 72
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 3/31/2010 5:25:29 PM
part of being truly intelligent is not having to prove it to others

OK, I joined. But I didn’t tell anyone. Honest.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 73
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 3/31/2010 6:40:19 PM

I paid the dues for 3 years, attended meetings, engaged in several conversations that were esoteric at best, mostly pointless and endless...
After 3 years I quite paying dues, so I guess I'm out now.

I'm much happier with my 'Dumb' friends!
At least they can laugh at a joke without trying to analyze it to death!

...Most were pompous asses arguing over who had the best education,
All the while not realizing education only makes you more knowledgeable, not a better person... You have to do that on your own!

I agree with the above, though I didn't waste three years on Mensa (and it was in a very large city, so there was a sizable group). I joined to meet people and learn something. What I learned was that that group, at that time (mid-80's) was not a good use of my time nor dues money. I've never really thought about trying another group here, because I forgot all about Mensa until I saw this thread.
 BentonHarbor
Msg: 74
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 4/1/2010 4:06:01 AM

Has anyone ever tried Mensa to meet new people? I feel it's like a dating thing more than anything else. Am I right? Do you think it would be a good idea? What are members like?

Thanks

If you’re a candidate for membership in MENSA wouldn’t you already know the answer to this? LOL

The main complaint I heard from the men was that the women were only concerned with marriage and family. The women complained that the males were only concerned with getting la1d. I guess no matter what your IQ Mars and Venus are the same.

This would be a universal in any universe let alone ours with the Mars and Venus thing! Best retort here!!
 junipermoon
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 4/6/2010 5:47:18 AM

First of all, Mensa isn't that special, it's 98th percentile, or 1 in every 50 people. Second, there are many kinds of intelligence and ability, all of which are just as important and useful as IQ.

My experience with Mensa, and my BF's too, is that it's great if you're into Star Trek, speaking Esperanto, and making bad puns.

thank you for the most accurate assessment i've seen on this thread. years ago, i took the test and qualified. i never pursued membership because i knew some local people involved, and didn't want to associate with them.

i much prefer my 'special interest' groups ~ the bird club, the horsey set, writing groups, the native botanicals society, etc.

and i manage to find something of value when conversing with individuals regardless of their i.q. if you get bored or frustrated and need to compare the average i.q. individual with a retarded person, it merely reveals a lack of imagination and curiosity on your part.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Mensa? anyone?