Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Mensa? anyone?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 browneyesboo
Msg: 76
Mensa? anyone?Page 4 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
I can't ever remember being uncomfortable in any conversation.
I can talk with anyone. If I don't know the subject in it's entirety, I
have no problem listening, asking questions and learning something new.

I know what my IQ is. I've never brought it up...never felt the need to.
Most smart people I know don't need to tell anyone they're smart, and
they can pretty much fit in any social situation.

Having a conversation about having a conversation with "retards"
is something that really speaks volumes about the person having
the conversation. IMO of course.

PirateJohn09
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 4/6/2010 9:48:24 AM

I know what my IQ is. I've never brought it up...never felt the need to. Most smart people I know don't need to tell anyone they're smart, and they can pretty much fit in any social situation.

This is a lot like another recent thread about those who talk about being "independent" in their profiles. The general idea is that if you feel the need to talk about being independent, you are probably not very independent at all.

I'm one of the tour guides in the building where I work. One of our former employees who retired a few years ago now teaches a class at a local community college. Every year he arranges a tour for his class.

So one year I happen to be the tour guide. For the most part, the class was pretty fun, except for one guy who, I am not exaggerating, could not stop talking to me about how he was soooo much smarter than his classmates. For an hour he went on...

It was all I could do to keep from shouting, "if you're so damn smart, how come you're too stupid to realize what a pompous douchebag you're being?!"
 Smarts and Heart
Msg: 78
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 5/4/2010 7:17:50 PM

it is amazing how much common sense is lost in the higher iq crowd.

Op...have you taken a Mensa Test?
A Mensa test in part is a test that measures common sense, spatial ability, language comprehension and mathematical skills.
Mensa is a group of ordinary people with higher IQ's, many of whom have never had a University or College Education. They can range from blue collar workers , to all types of professionals. They're people who have the ability to retain and pick up knowledge and apply it using a lot of common sense when and where necessary. It doesn't make them better or worse conversationist, or more or less socially functional or disfunctional than the ordinary person. If you ask a person in Mensa "how" they "Know" something, they'll probably say "I don't know, I just do".

They're some of the kids who either excelled in school and where ahead of everyone else or they were bored and unchallenged. Their brains just processed information more efficiently.
Someone who's really smart doesn't have to prove it, they just live it.
 Smarts and Heart
Msg: 79
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 5/5/2010 10:12:14 AM
Just because a person is brilliant in their own specific field of knowledge, it doesn't mean that they're in the "mensa" range. Mensa measures "overall" ability in different fields, like I mentioned above. It's comprised of relatively simple questions that anyone with a high school education should be able to answer if they have the ability to "retain", "apply" and "build" on everything that they were taught. Those 3 abilities to "apply" and "retain" and "build" on general knowledge, is the factor that differentiates most.

Most doctors and scientist aren't in the Mensa range. They may be genius' in their specific field but weak in some other field. Same as computer wizards and lawyers. A simple store clerk or a janitor may be in Mensa.
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 5/12/2010 9:07:24 AM
I never joined Mensa but I went to many events. They let me come even though I wasn't a member. The people there were pretty much like anybody else. They didn't look different, act different, or seem different. Most of them I wouldn't have known were highly intelligent except for being there. There were attractive women, unattractive women, people with manners, some with bad manners, good dressers, bad dressers, funny people, boring people. They are the same ones you meet every day, you just don't know it. I found something interesting just about every time I went. I would have kept going except they finally made me take the test and I didn't make it. :) I do have another test that sez I'm in the top 2% but I don't know where the paper is. Mensa is an international group. There are national groups, smaller groups, and even smaller local groups. And I think if there is no group near you you can start one up. There are many special interest groups in the Mensa group. One is a singles sig. That is where you want to go if you want to join mensa to meet somebody for a partner. I never got to go to any of the singles events but I would have liked to. If you want more info go to mensa.org (duh). So if you want to check it out, you should. I just looked at their home page real quick and they spelled "practice", "practise". I don't know if this is a mistake or who wrote it was English. Like people have said here, many highly intelligent people don't join Mensa, so you will have to find them other ways.
 A_wild _rose
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 5/23/2010 10:29:44 AM
I am a member of mensa and here on POF. I dont consider myself any different than anyone else. Just because my IQ falls above a some established guideline does not mean I feel, think or behave different from those that fall below an established guideline. I joined so that it would help me get funding for college. It looks good on a resume when your parents can't afford to pay for your college as they are on the lower economic side of the Pie. Yes there are some absolutely brillant people who have not common sense or social ability. But we all have the need to be love no matter what our IQ may or may not be. Mensa is more social than "egghead" oriented at times, which many believe it to be, so one could maybe find another there to become intimately involved with.
 Rob Roy1
Msg: 82
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 5/26/2010 4:36:46 AM
Eeeegads!! A club for people who think how much you know equivocates into intelligence. I think Einstein probably wouldn't have been able to pass their 'test'. And I'm sure he wouldn't have joined anyway.

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.” Albert Einstein.

I'd rather be in a room full or artists and/or musicians, poets or philosopher rather than a room full of Mensa members.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 83
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 5/26/2010 8:57:50 AM
This started out as a thread asking if joining a mensa club was a good way to
meet people. Of course I'm sure I'm not the only one that figured it was a not so
subtle attempt to say HEY LOOK AT ME....I HAVE A HUGE IQ.

So now it's turned into a thread where you can say, yeah my IQ is such and such
and yeah I could/I did/I wouldn't join mensa. The reality is, how often does anyone
get asked their IQ in real life and how often do people really say what it is.

Who knew there were so many mensas in fishes? I wonder where all the non-mensas
go? Do they hang out with all the bad exes? Because we know there aren't any of those
in fishes!

Insert IQ here _________

OT...It would stand to reason that a great place to meet people would be any place
that people congregate or get together on a regular basis. And in any group of people
you will find all types...some you'll get along with and some you won't, and the
reasons don't necesarily have to do with IQ.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 84
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 7/14/2010 10:22:38 AM
No... I haven't, No... I don't qualify ..but..

This says that I have an IQ of 181. Oh, I am holding it upside down.

Bull.

That is fing brilliant........

Unless..Wait..A mens club? lotsa mensa?

OK I'm in.
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 85
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 7/14/2010 11:42:11 AM
Duuur, umm...
I dunt tink i cun jion. eye-d like ta, butt my mawm sez i aint smrat enuff ta do it suh i didunt tak da tist
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 86
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 7/14/2010 4:01:52 PM
Just remember.....49.99% of all people on this earth are BELOW average.
 free_pizza
Msg: 87
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 7/14/2010 4:48:34 PM
And it seems like 98% of those 49.99% have profiles on this site.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 88
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 7/14/2010 5:47:09 PM
it appears that 98% posting here apparently have the necessary 'credentials' to gain admittance to Mensa...who'da thunk?

sweetness, wasn't that you I saw with your partner at that Mensa Happy Hour last month down at TGIF's?

Yes they are quite another mixed bag, but when most are not too drunk you can communicate on most any topic at many levels. The noise level can get quite high at M parties- still no guarantees... S
 anonymouslyme
Msg: 89
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 7/14/2010 6:22:42 PM
My stepdaughter once brought home a young mensa member. He had recently completed a degree in Quantum Physics at a very prestigious college. He also had his septum pierced, but he wanted to make a good impression on us, so he flipped the ring up into his nose, thinking no one would be able to see it. I spent one very uncomfortable conversation trying not to stare at whatever appeared to be suspended there in his nostril. Later that evening, my fourteen year old and some of his friends convinced mr mensa to take the nosering out, and place one of those spiral birthday candles through the hole, then light it. which he did, but unfortunately ended up badly singing his facial hair before he could figure out how to get the candle blown out. I also had to help him figure out how to start the shower in my bathroom, as the mechanism is slightly unusual. Still, he's working at some company now creating high-technology electronics and infra red systems for the military, making five times what I do. Genuis is genius, I suppose.
 .dej
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 7/15/2010 5:00:00 PM
I looked into the Mensa thing. Didn't interest me. Doubt you'd find it a good environment for dating.
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 91
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 7/15/2010 5:44:21 PM
The problem with plate-heads is they constantly have to REMIND you they're a plate-head!
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 92
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 7/17/2010 10:20:36 AM

Oh do not get me started on Mensans. A long time roommate of mine (she could be fun and "normal" at times) was one, and I met more than I have cared to over the years and have heard stories for they are a very strange bunch. I've been invited to several of their events, but have always refused for I am a "proud and happy idiot". Many of them do not have the social graces or common sense that the "average idiot"has and it is wonderful that these freaks have their own pool of "intellectual masturbation" and have found each other. A friend of mine and I have a joke when we meet someone without common sense, social graces

sounds like any club would be where people measure some 'quantity' about themselves and apparently feel 'proud' of it (especially one given largely by genetics, over which they have little control or input into the outcome) .

a club for physical characteristics? one in which you have to have red hair, or blue eyes, or be over 6'6" tall?

what about a club for guys with at least 9" dycks, the has to be approved by club pres. with a ruler?

though I could of course humbly qualify, I'd have no interest in a such a club - most likely egos too huge

(ever heard the expression "big swinging dycks"? )
 VivaciousVixen2010
Msg: 93
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 7/18/2010 12:37:37 AM
mensa is a natural gift.
some people are naturally smart and some are not.
i am 5 points off of meeting the mensa iq level
who is that to say anything about the person
who they are
their morals

if mensa floats your boat
do it
if it gives you the EGO BOOST
that you need

as far as i am concerned
i am sick of egos

i want a humble honest bloke
too hard to find, eh? i am protecting my childrens' hearts
i can't just be out there for
**ME**
my children always come first

i need honesty and integrity

not a show off
 wolftxusa
Msg: 94
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 7/19/2010 1:12:21 AM
"if it gives you the EGO BOOST
that you need
as far as i am concerned
i am sick of egos"

Hmm, how often have you been put down by a member of Mensa? How often have you heard somebody point out s/he is a member in order to brag? How often have you seen the Mensa logo compared to say the Longhorns logo of UT (or pick your favorite team instead)? Many people haven't even heard of it, and business experts do not advocate putting it on a resume. So if it does not help dating nor work nor general social acceptance, what 'ego boost' are you referring to? I am sure those members know their intellectual standing without membership - after all they are not stupid...

It's a bad idea to go there for dating as can be derived from the many answers, but it may be interesting for other reasons...
 wolftxusa
Msg: 95
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 7/19/2010 1:39:00 AM
"what about a club for guys with at least 9" dycks, the has to be approved by club pres. with a ruler?
though I could of course humbly qualify, I'd have no interest in a such a club - most likely egos too huge"
I would not mind such a club although I am far from qualifying. But who has a bigger ego - the person who is a member or the guy who 'humbly' points out his qualification and then points out THEIR egos? I am sure some ladies would like such a club, too, to get their needs met. And all the same could be said: it does not guarantee anything else.

As for dating, I'd say the two should be within intellectual range. The vast majority should therefore NOT be interested in dating within Mensa. If I ever date a woman who says she could be a member but doesn't want to, I'll drag her to a test. I'm not tired of egos, I'm tired of those who are above such a club but insist on being qualified. Or I'll establish a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy (STFU for short).
 mateo45
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/19/2011 5:03:34 PM
Yeah, "high IQ" is kind of a touchy subject in this culture. It's like it's OK to be naturally taller, stronger, faster, wealthier, more attractive, whatever. But mention someone's "smarter" in any way, and certain folks start getting a little "uncomfortable". And that's not even talking about our "political" friends who complain about the so-called "educated elites"!

But as a sometime Mensa dude myself, who first joined basically looking for some social opportunities in a city I had just moved to, my own experience has been kinda "mixed". As mentioned earlier, there's lotsa kinds of "intelligence", and my sense is that Mensa tends to attract an awful lot of Asperger's folks (aka "hi-functioning autism), who also frequently have very high IQ's. Naturally this is great for things like, say, "facts" or technology and computer programming (Bill Gates is generally thought to be an Aspie). But they also don't "do" some other things quite as well, like empathy, bonding, creativity, and "emotional" intelligence.

BTW, Salon.com had an interesting interview with Dr. Neil Warren, the founder of eHarmony. In the interview, Dr. Warren told the writer (a single woman) that the fact she was "bright", eliminated virtually 95% of her compatible online matches, right from the get-go!!

http://dir.salon.com/story/mwt/feature/2005/06/10/warren/index.html
 Laha Math
Msg: 97
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/20/2011 9:05:16 PM
I read that a sociological study was done on long term couples to see if there was anything common among them. The only thing they found that was statistically significant was IQ. So if you enter a relationship with someone who has a comparable IQ you are more likely to remain in the relationship according to the results of the study. If you score high enough for membership in Mensa you are more likely to meet someone with a comparable IQ with whom you can enter into a long term relationship.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 98
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/20/2011 9:13:12 PM
If you score high enough for membership in Mensa you are more likely to meet someone with a comparable IQ with whom you can enter into a long term relationship.

You mean IF you get OUT of the house and go WHERE THEY ARE.. In order to meet them..
Works for me..
 SylvanSwan
Msg: 99
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/20/2011 10:33:22 PM
Thank you mateo for the link to http://dir.salon.com/story/mwt/feature/2005/06/10/warren/index.html
(the FOX interview of John Stewart there was awesome, love John).
Interesting how he defends his views on matching gays/lesbians, I can't stand homophobia. He did tell his "bright interviewer" that she could be well matched with a man of asian descent....anyways
Mensa may appeal to a few folks who have a higher focus on one's high IQ.
 MST3k_fan
Msg: 100
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/21/2011 12:49:37 AM
I am an active Mensa member. I go to meetings and use the online forums. I don't think people join Mensa for an ego boost so much as out of curiosity.

There are plenty of rude people in Mensa, but there are a lot of amazing people too. Just as often as you will find intellectual bigotry, you will find great humor and fun. Courting certainly happens... but most of the members are 50+ years of age. It's usually after a failed first marriage that someone in Mensa finds love with an intellectual equal who they can relate to.

I haven't had much luck dating other Mensans, but that's because the few I did date turned out to be crazy. I think being smart also means a higher capacity for complex mental problems, but they occur in Mensans at a pretty normal frequency.

Anyway, somebody said it best earlier.... EQ means a lot more than IQ.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Mensa? anyone?