Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Mensa? anyone?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mateo45
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?Page 5 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
Come over to the Dark Side, Luke.... er, I mean "Blue"!
 BeckyRichfield
Msg: 102
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/22/2011 12:05:44 AM
Wow. This thread sure did threaten a lot of folks. I'm a member. during my 30's I was truly excited to find a bunch of people who got my jokes. I found I enjoyed almost anything more if it was with them. I'm normal as most folks, and the group had a full range of personalities and talents. I quickly formed a sub group that played bridge, volleyball, cooked, had beach parties. These folks gradually married each other and succeeded in their jobs, had kids and generally had mainstream lives. I'm still attracted to those that have a chance at "getting" me. Isn't that what everyone wants?
 mateo45
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/22/2011 1:10:09 PM
Hmmm.... dunno where you're seeing all these "threatened" posts here. But BTW, that is another thing that's kinda "discouraged" me from Mensa these days, is that an awful lot of members seem surprisingly "thin-skinned" and seriously lacking any sense of humor. For example, check out THEIR online forums, where the most active thread there is an ongoing debate over what kind of member avatar is "permissible" (aka "how many angels can fit on the head of a pin")!

Then again, maybe they just don't "get" me either!
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 104
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/22/2011 1:34:21 PM

I looked into the Mensa thing. Didn't interest me. Doubt you'd find it a good environment for dating.

This is the truest thing I've read in a while. I used to post in Mensa forums and I noticed that sense of humor is seriously lacking along with most's abilities to "talk." It was a slew of statistics, name-dropping and a LOT of ego. Personally, that really bores the hell out of me ~ so I dropped my "rights" to be in their presence and found POF. (Not sure if that's laughable or not, but I sure have laughed at more posts in here than I EVER did with the supposed mentally "elite.") May be that was just my experience, but one I don't intend to repeat. JMO
 charlie_girl_2
Msg: 105
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/22/2011 4:25:05 PM
You, "green eyez" always make this experience (forums on POF) such good fun and whether you want to admit it here, or not, a learning experience as well.

Thanks!
 mateo45
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/23/2011 5:23:08 PM
Luke... so you agree that "comparable intelligence" is important, yet you seem to object to high IQ folks just trying to identify & find others like themselves? How does that work? Remember, the Mensa requirement is being in the top 2% of the population on IQ scores, so it's not exactly like they're otherwise gonna run into each other a lot!
 mateo45
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/23/2011 6:07:57 PM
OK, but you still didn't answer my question. If your IQ wasn't just "high", but actually put you in a very small minority of the population, how else would you expect to find others "comparable" to yourself?

And BTW, what's wrong with measuring, or affiliating with, "similar intelligence" anyway? Folks sure get together for damn near everything else!
 pinkoleander
Msg: 108
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/24/2011 9:26:19 PM
What's advanced autism? I grew up with engineers, computer programmers, scientists (chemists mostly) doctors and medical researchers. Brilliant people. None of them were autistic. My brother is autistic and he is not intelligent, advanced or otherwise.
 kari135
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/25/2011 10:49:29 AM

I didn't read the entire thread, but skimming back a couple of pages, it appears that 98% posting here apparently have the necessary 'credentials' to gain admittance to Mensa...who'da thunk?

And there are a lot more out in the real world who have the 'credentials' but for whatever reasons didn't join. Back in the Dark Ages when I was in high school, quite a lot of us were extended invitations to join Mensa, but as far as I know, only one did. I have no idea why none of the others did, but as for me... well, it was one of the few ways I had to rebel against anything. Later on it became a non-issue.
 soicat
Msg: 110
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/25/2011 1:34:44 PM
I joined MENSA because I thought it would be a good place to meet intelligent women, but I never managed to actually attend a meeting. How stupid is that?
You may not have to take a test to join BTW - they'll accept tests you've taken in the past, like LSATs.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 111
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/26/2011 7:11:11 AM
IQ stats are like a speeding ticket
They have little to do with your real driving ability, less still to do with your actual performance at the time of the event, and you get judged by that one instance for the rest of your record.

mateo45
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/28/2011 9:22:29 AM
Well, you know you can also get ticketed for driving "too slow"..... !
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 113
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 6/28/2011 11:26:00 AM

If them Mensa dudes so damned clever? Why them single?

So they don't have to get divorced and troll online with fake profiles for attention like you do?
 HunterGathers
Msg: 114
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 7/2/2011 12:17:02 PM
Seems like a good majority of the people bashing Mensa admit themselves that they've never attended a meeting. One person even said he imagined it would be like going to a Star Trek convention.

So here's a bit of common sense from the mother of a Mensa: don't knock it til you try it. Were we all not raised with this little gem of wisdom, or did your parents fail you?

Now, I'm not saying that it's for everyone, or that it DOESN'T have it's share of socially inept members, but it's just like any other group; you'll meet people you can't stand, and people you love to death. I like what one member says: try it, and if you have fun, keep going, and if you don't, don't.

But don't make the mistake of either generalizing based on one person from that group you met, or stereotyping based on preconceived notions that you picked up in high school and haven't yet outgrown. Both of those actions, by definition, are forms of bigotry.
 mr_ultimo
Msg: 115
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 7/2/2011 12:32:19 PM
I've met several Mensa members who supposedly had high IQ's but performed in a sub-par manner when it came to applying their vast intellects to the real world. Not to say all mensa members can be lumped into the same pile. But they did share the same arrogant gene.

I would rather find a partner who actually can kick the can down the road instead of just mapping out its projected trajectory. Creativity trumps IQ any day of the week, anyway.

As far as dating a mensa member. I'm sure it looks good on paper.
 Another_Gal
Msg: 116
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 7/2/2011 3:23:59 PM
I am somewhat active in the St Louis group and it seems to me that mostly everyone is married. I have only been in this area (STL) for over a year and find it difficult to meet people. I wish there were more single members but I have fun with dinners, etc.

How is your search going?
 jeninejkk
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 7/3/2011 8:21:54 AM
Good Job!! I never mention that I am a member to any man for that exact reason. Great way to handle the snotty person!!
 jeninejkk
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 7/3/2011 8:23:00 AM
or say it, Aspergers Syndrome?
 jeninejkk
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 7/3/2011 8:25:33 AM
There are many levels to Autism Spectrum as I am sure you are aware. The autistic are special people who need love like the rest of us. Some of the lower functioning just do no know how to accept it due to their disability.
 mateo45
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 7/3/2011 8:45:45 AM
I hear 'ya re: "academic smarts", but I see no problem with folks "self-identifying" or seeking similar IQ's either. It's just the age-old instinct of trying to find "like-minds".

Regardless your "specialty", even if it's just collecting "performance cars", presumably you still wanna meet others like yourself (including the few who really know what they're talkin' about)!
 parroon2
Msg: 121
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 7/24/2011 3:16:11 PM
He deserved another response....but I can't say it here.
 NewToTN9
Msg: 122
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 7/25/2011 10:18:56 AM
IQ is a subjective interpretation in itself. What we often formally refer to IQ tests is nothing more than pattern recognition tests. They do not account for emotional IQ, wisdom, drive, expression, and self-awareness. To that end, I have always been perplexed about Mesas use of IQ tests as their barometer for admission as the mere usage (given an expanded definition of intelligence) defies logic assuming their aim is to assemble/enroll people with intelligence. But for each their own I guess.
 cashleys
Msg: 123
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 7/27/2011 9:55:07 PM
You should try all avenues. It is good to have the same interests what ever those might be. There are good and bad people everywhere, I am sure some it might have problems just like anywhere you go.
If you are a church goer you could meet there, but NOT all church goers are good people either. So I think you should try and see if it works out for you.
good luck.
 internetmeme
Msg: 124
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 8/6/2011 10:47:31 AM

Mensa members are like anyone else other than the inflated egos they get from reminding everyone they're mensa members.

As a Mensa member I take offense to that. First of all Mensa isn't the "top of the top" that everyone assumes. There's actually two organizations above Mensa. Secondly you make it sound like Mensa members are a group of people who compliment each other and spit on the 'lesser beings'. That couldn't be further from the truth.

I've been a member for 3 years but have never listed it on a resume or really even spoken about it outside of the infrequent organizational gathering. As with ANYTHING in life, it's not what you know- it's who you know. Mensa can open doors for some and do absolutely nothing for others. As someone who works in the medical field being a member of Mensa actually assisted me in getting in to med. Two members on the board of trustees and a dean at my college are Mensa members who I had met before. Didn't exactly "hurt" my chances when I was accepted.

Ignorance is bliss.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 125
Mensa? anyone?
Posted: 8/6/2011 11:46:55 AM

Two members on the board of trustees and a dean at my college are Mensa members who I had met before. Didn't exactly "hurt" my chances when I was accepted.

Glad to hear your positive results from previous social contacts.. THAT is what social organizations like Mensa can do for people, broaden their contacts which sometimes actually helps them IRL..
I joined when I was even younger than you, and have met SO many varied people over the many years.. So I recommend it to those smart people seeking more social contacts and even a smart mate.. There ARE some quality people there that may become friends over time..
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Mensa? anyone?