Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pantsonfire
Msg: 2
view profile
History
4x4 bashingPage 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I'm convinced this government is trying to get 4x4's off road......

Umm isn't that where they're meant to be though? ? Or did I mean off THE road ...

Seriously though, we have an old Mondeo S reg 1.8 diesel, it's rarely got less than 4 people in it and it's a proper workhorse, yet it's also taxed to death...
 pinkwolf
Msg: 38
view profile
History
4x4 bashing
Posted: 3/14/2008 2:27:08 AM

Some people goes for a small midget car because they could not afford the big car..

you can buy a 5 year old 4x4 (or large car) for less than a new smart car......so that blows that theory out of the water.

You can fit your average family of four in a citroen 2cv or a mini !

I get me and 3 teenagers and shopping in my corsa without any problems. I've had minis in the past too....because i like them, not because i cant afford anything else. bang goes that theory too.

but anyhowwwwww, each to their own. if people want to keep up with their american cousins (and we know how sensible thay are ) then why not?
 pinkwolf
Msg: 44
view profile
History
4x4 bashing
Posted: 3/14/2008 5:31:13 AM

you can buy a 5 year old 4x4 (or large car) for less than a new smart car......so that blows that theory out of the water.

Er not exactly, 18 mpg? £600.00 for a set of tyres?, £1000.00 for a major service? it's about affording to run the thing not just buy it.

you choose to waste....sorry, spend....all this money on your car. so why moan about a few more pounds?

and if its a free country, surely we can knock 4x4s if we want to?
 pinkwolf
Msg: 46
view profile
History
4x4 bashing
Posted: 3/14/2008 7:03:03 AM
i was going to say that 4x4s are more dangerous for others motorists and pedestrians but am losing the will to live. you'd probably say it was thier own fault for getting in the way.

i need a lie down
 pinkwolf
Msg: 48
view profile
History
4x4 bashing
Posted: 3/14/2008 7:46:31 AM

It's not the 4x4 that is dangerous for other motorists and pedestrians it's the person driving and their mistakes that is dangerous, regardless of the vehicle

isnt that the same arguement that guns dont kill people? sigh
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 50
view profile
History
4x4 bashing
Posted: 3/14/2008 8:37:36 AM
4x4's great for the countryside, not so great for the towns, especially when the women who seem to drive most of them only use them to take the kids 1/2 mile to school and to the local superkmarket

feel sorry for the farmers who need them to do their job

just glad that did not vote for nu labour :)
 oggers
Msg: 77
view profile
History
4x4 bashing
Posted: 3/14/2009 10:59:37 AM

I am referring to the likes of the BMW X5 and Porsche etc - just cars on a elevated running gear. So, yes, you are correct, many 4x4's are stronger.

Not exactly. Volvo estate 4 x 4 , Skoda Octavia 4 x 4 , Audi Allroad ... these are cars on elevated running gear.... X5, Porsche Cayenne , Q7, etc are rather bigger than " just cars ".......

Again, on the modern status symbol 4x4's , low profile high performance tyres are standard.

... which at a stroke destroys the so called advantages of these 4 x 4 cars , i.e. the ability of a 4x4 vehicle to tackle inhospitable environments - how many of these vehicles got stuck in recent snows, how many of these actually go off road ? These tyres are crap at anything other than tarmac.

I think that a lot of the anti "status symbol" 4 x 4 feeling stems from the fact that a lot are driven by arrogant , irresponsible, self important drivers, without a care for other road users or the rules of the road in many instances ... a bit like the drivers of black VW Passats and Audis (who have taken over from the BMW 5 series drivers ) who are equally irritating ...

And as for the size - have you tried driving behind one, and tried looking to see the road ahead ?! Impossible - its like driving behind a van !

Interestingly, we mere mortals dont even consider a working Land Rover Defender as one of those "damn 4 x 4 's " , there is a seperation in the mind of the average driver .
 Warrencraig
Msg: 84
view profile
History
4x4 bashing
Posted: 3/14/2009 9:53:57 PM
I dont see a problem with 4x4's in the country side.

I do see a problem with "chelsea tractors" and school run mums driving 4x4s on the school run. They take up more road space, people dont drive them with consideration for thier size and they are no more safer than your average family car yet more likely to roll over too. Oh and the number of 4x4 drivers who think thier car is 10 metres wide is annoying.

The one thing that really annoys me about chelsea tractors, is the day they finally do make it into the countryside, they block the road and force other road users into mud etc because they are afraid of getting thier 4x4 dirty! so many times on country lanes i come across chelsea tractors that refuse to move over at all. idiots!!!
 Lorri55
Msg: 92
view profile
History
4x4 bashing
Posted: 3/17/2009 6:28:13 AM
If I bashed a 4x4, my wee Rover would crumple!!!

Strider886
Msg: 102
view profile
History
4x4 bashing
Posted: 4/7/2010 1:27:52 AM
4x4's are just totally un-necessary for 99% of the year.

They're unsafe when compared to regular cars due to the high centre of gravity and the engine being mounted below and in front of the front bulkhead (equals missing legs) front, hitting a pedestrian or other road user is much more likely to result in life threatening injuries.

If your driving behind one that's travelling slowly, you cannot see past them to establish what the issue is.

On a school day they block the roads for miles and miles just so that one single child can jump out and go to school. What's wrong with the f*cking bus? or even just a smaller car!!!

On the 1 or 2 weeks of the year where 4 wheel drive is actually usefull (snow), they actually drive faster that normal and like complete twats.

A large number of them catch "god syndrome" behind the wheel, thinking they're totally invincible and that all other road users should kowtow in their presence.

NOW IT GETS PERSONAL

I've been innocently driving about in my Westfield Kitcar in the past and 4x4's nearly ALWAYS tried to make my life a misery, they'd overtake, race, cut me up and even try to run me off the road when they made themselves looked stupid by trying to beat a 280bhp per ton sports car off a set off traffic lights..... I mean come on..... I didn't even need to try, if id tried he'd have been left sat in a cloud of tyre smoke all the way up to 60mph......

I even had an old couple mouthing abuse at me from high up in their new Freelander JUST because my car ignites unburnt fuel in the hot exhaust on the "over run", basically making a loud popping sound when you come off the throttle. Well it's a 30 year old race tuned engine, they all do it!!!

While admittedly its unfair to tar all with the same brush, my life has been put in jeopardy enough times for me to have zero patience for all of them!!
Especially those who can't drive....
 Strider886
Msg: 104
view profile
History
4x4 bashing
Posted: 4/7/2010 7:57:28 AM

The only thing that should be taxed is the fuel you use! If you burn more then pay for it. The 'green issue' is ONLY a method to raise even more money from the public.

Now that is something we do agree on!!!

"Green issue" or "climate change" is the new "global warming"..... But because it's been proven that 1998 was the hottest year on record in the last 50 years, they had to call it something else. All a load of nonsense and all detracting our attention from the real issues affecting our planet!
 Strider886
Msg: 110
view profile
History
4x4 bashing
Posted: 4/8/2010 1:39:06 AM
--------Bah wrong video-----------

(seems that the manufacturer has pressured Youtube into removing the actuall video)

Without a full safety harness and helmet that is gonna hurt like a ****, you'd be thrown around like rag doll..... That car..... roof intact, but an insurance write off.

Feel free to search Youtube for any normal car doing the "moose test", you'll find that even a Toyota Prius can avoid barrel rolling down the track.

New set of tyres versus on a family saloon or a written off 60k motor and severe head injuries... I know my choice.

Unfortunately for as realistic as it is, the moose test is not a safety required test under the UK law, (they discussed this on Top Gear some years ago) if it were then most 4x4's would be an epic fail.

Oh and I have no issue with people who need a 4x4 for valid reasons. But as a "status symbol" to me it shouts twat.
 upupupupaway
Msg: 121
view profile
History
4x4 bashing
Posted: 4/11/2010 7:34:27 AM
Can't help but wonder of the against lobby how many have either owned or driven a 4x4. I have mine so my kids can get a holiday because as a single parent I have an old but sound caravan--oh just a mention when the ground is wet on sites I often help fellow caravaners get their cars onto tarmac. I also own one because I like safety on the road to a higher level than volvo's give. You can try stunts like cutting me up or sitting on my tail on a motorway but if push comes to shove who is like to walk away!
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >