Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Hozo
Msg: 647
view profile
History
Mr.Wright (Move On)Page 8 of 29    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29)
The race issue is like that, in many ways.
The only thing we owe one another is the chance to move on. When all those that experienced that past , that horrid reality that could/would/should scar anyone's soul (on both sides of the issue) [are gone], then we will be finally free of it.

If we choose it to be so, we can keep the memories of those things (as we must do) on record - but we can avoid passing the torch that will set our future together aflame.

These are not our battles, thanks to the sacrifices of others we are free of them.

But this will never go away. Prepare yourself for this for the rest of your life, and for the lives of your children. Blacks continue to rub salt into this very wound, and it will never heal, thanks to their legions of Rev. Wrights and the masses of their own kind who fuel his ilk.

Doing this is very convenient for Mr Wright and those blacks who wish to perpetuate the everlasting guilt trip of slavery and oppression - a trip only they seem entitled to embark on, especially at the expense of those who are not or have never been responsible for it.

This has been a most fascinating and eye opening last few pages of this thread for me.

The determined and repeated denial , dismissal, and invalidation of claims of similar oppression of those other than blacks , all whilst standing right beside them , is quite sickening for someone like me.

The philosophies of the collective Rev. Wrights and their legions of supporters have transformed this revisionist historical perspective into a warped one sided crusade that American blacks are the only ones divine enough to carry this staff. All others claims only serve to dilute or distract the limelight of this aura - in essence stealing the thunder that they believe is rightfully theirs alone.

All others are to be silenced, ignored, or discredited at all costs in order to preserve this long-term culmination of advantageous events that have led to this present day scenario.

Because of the Rev. Wrights of today, these are our battles today more than ever. You can meekly stand by, silently aknowleging and perpetuating a conveniently censored version of what is preached to you, or if you know better, you can fight back. Those are everybody's choices.
 fridayboo
Msg: 648
view profile
History
Mr.Wright (Move On)
Posted: 5/28/2008 11:15:18 AM
I live in the south, where red-necks, hippies, and "n*ggers" collide. Sure, African slavery came and went (replaced by Mexicans), but there's still the aftermath, the residue of racism. Slavery is the cause, and racism being the effect, alot of it has to do with classism. The difference with Blacks is that not only do some have to deal with the classism but we also have to sometimes deal with racism. So, it's like a double whammy. We also have to deal with perception. Reading this thread and others like it, you would think that only Black people are poor, only Black people are on welfare, only Black people are uneducated, only Black people do crime. This is the face that is placed out there. It seems that some people fall hard into believing the stereotype and cannot understand that this focus that is placed on the Black community is actually being placed on a sub-segment of the community and is being used to generalize a whole people.The generalization is there as if this is a Black issue and it does not occur anywhere else. The same when some people post about their Black friends as if these Black friends fall outside of the norm. They don't, they are the norm. No different then the majority of Blacks that are out there.

American Blacks have a unique set of circumstances. This is not an excuse, it is a fact. There are things that we have to deal with due to our heritage but, and I will stress but, it has nothing to do with our success in life.

The same things that are said about black people and how they should pull themselves up by their bootstraps, get a better education etc., can be said about segments in every race but nobody generalizes other races in that manner and that is a major problem. I mean there are more poor Whites in America then Blacks but I don't see people saying Whites need to get a better edcuation and pull themselves up. No, if it is talked about it will be prefaced so that you know exactly what Whites people are talking about and not generalized as if it is the whole white population. Where i'm from I see more Appalachin whites and Hispanics using food stamps.."walking around with full buggies of food" and with at least 2 to 4 kids at the local walmart more than I see blacks. It all disgusts me...but let's not get the symbolic black welfare mother that Ronald Reagan created twisted....Peoeple who don't shop in these areas are happy thinking it's all blacks....I mean if your shopping at Harris Teeter or whole foods you ain't gonna see this.

Are Blacks over slavery? Yes, Yes and Yes. We are not living in the past, we are living in the present, looking towards the future and fighting to ensure that the past does not slyly and creep back up under another name. Asking us to forget the past is asking us to forget our history and no one should forget their history. Because those who forget are destined to repeat it.

Hozo
Msg: 649
view profile
History
Mr.Wright (Move On)
Posted: 5/29/2008 9:21:28 AM
I mean there are more poor Whites in America then Blacks but I don't see people saying Whites need to get a better edcuation and pull themselves up. No, if it is talked about it will be prefaced so that you know exactly what Whites people are talking about and not generalized as if it is the whole white population. Where i'm from I see more Appalachin whites and Hispanics using food stamps.."walking around with full buggies of food" and with at least 2 to 4 kids at the local walmart more than I see blacks.

Thanks. This is a very good point that I have seen most of my life in this region, that is probably not even fathomed in the more densely populated centres of of North America. This is my personal microcosm as a non black minority, and is radically different than the stereotypical inner city or heavily black population centres for obvious reasons.

As I stated before, West Virginia is 94% white, so the roles of the poor folllow this racial trend as expected. But the main point in this unique region is, whites, blacks and other minorities have been and are far closer to eachother in opportunity than many other regions.

In other words, most anybody had the opportunity to labour in these steel mills for decades and decades. These were the higest paying jobs in this limited opportunity area. There always was barely enough eligible population to fill the tens of thousands of manual labour jobs, hence the migration and relocation of blacks and immigrants.

Considering white males make up the large majority of the workforce here, there was always a large segment of that group who did not take advantage of this opportunity. They were the ones who drifted from job to job, never owned a home, lived in poverty, and never made a decent living.

Why? Who knows. Some felt mill work was n i g g e r work, as they said, and it was beneath them. Others had no ambition, as their hillbilly heritage kept them in that 1800s fronteir mode of living on a shoestring in a ramshackle house on property handed down since their ancestors arrived here - in essence the Beverly Hillbillies BEFORE they struck oil.

Still, as astounding as it sounds, this very same toothless white cracker welfare junkie has a certain preconceived inherited notion that he is superior over someone like me, or you. They were here first, they were white, they farmed and hunted the land and they had the righteous ancestral edge.

On the other hand, minority immigrants and relocated southern blacks originally settled here FOR these newly developed steel jobs. They would do any type of work for virtually any wage, no matter how dangerous. They had no choice, no land, nothing. They started from scratch basically.

This is where my region, and therefore my experiences and beliefs, support the "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps". Most anybody of any persuasion was given some sort of tool at some time in their life to better themselves.

As witnessed, some groups did far better than others with roughly the same tools. Whether it was work ethic, personal choice, ambition, or differences of ethnic behavioural philosophies...who knows.

Are Blacks over slavery? Yes, Yes and Yes. We are not living in the past, we are living in the present, looking towards the future and fighting to ensure that the past does not slyly and creep back up under another name. Asking us to forget the past is asking us to forget our history and no one should forget their history. Because those who forget are destined to repeat it.

That is another valid point that rings somewhat true for this region:

West Virginia was born BECAUSE of the slavery issue. It 55 northwestern counties seceding from pro-slavery Virginia, becoming a newly formed state during the Civil War, and aligning itself with the North.

Slavery should never have been a real sticking point with blacks here, due to the fact that their grandfathers, like my grandfather, escaped the past and started anew in a "new world" so to speak, and bid a good riddance to the old way. They had tremendous advantage over the remaining majority southern blacks who could not escape this. There was no entrenched or traditional slave plilosophy here . That was about as level a playing field as one could get back then it seemed.

But I will repeat this again: from my grandfathers time, he worked side by side with these very same blacks, many of who witnessed its wrath before relocating from the south, both of their races combined into a non white bottom-of-the-barrel workforce that had the same severely limited opportunities vs. the majority white population.

Fast- forward to my generation. The grandchildren of these blacks are somehow entitled and given preferential treatment and opportunity over others. Their attitudes reflect this newly aquired power and act as though they have won some sort of military battle, taken prisoners, and commence kicking and humiliating these prisoners.

Somehow, it seemed the injustices of their ancestors were amplified, given special attention, and they themselves were given some type of compensation for it, even though they, nor their grandfathers suffered directly from it.

There is something fundamentally wrong with giving blanket advantage over a specific group of peoples, at the inevitable and unfair expense of another innocent group.

I have no control over any part of this process, and I wish the collectice Rev. Wrights would admit that THEY are over slavery and stop amplifying and perpetuating otherwise. They do not realise what a tremendous disservice they are doing to their own cause. They need to become part of this inclusive process, rather than causing distress, division and inflamation.

Here are a couple quotes from Mr. Wright that serve as perfect examples of what I am trying to say. I find them astoundingly ignorant, racist , and personally and ethnically offensive, amoung other reasons :

It just came to me, within the past few weeks, y'all, why so many folks are hatin' on Barack Obama: He doesn't fit the mold. He ain't white, he ain't rich, and he ain't privileged. Hillary fits the mold. Europeans fit the mold. Giuliani fits the mold. Rich white men fit the mold.

The Romans were rich, the Romans were Italian, which means they were European, which means they were white, and the Romans ran everything in Jesus' country.

These quotes speak for themselves. They obviously need no explanation, especially to someone like me. Therefore....

Historical perspectives aside, hammering everyone who is not black for something that happened 200 years ago has the same effect as hammering me for something the Romans did to Jesus 2000 years ago. This is what Mr. Wright does, and it is absurd. It only serves to rile those like me and cause these undermining but very legitimate amd well-deserved counter attacks.
 fridayboo
Msg: 650
view profile
History
Mr.Wright (Move On)
Posted: 5/30/2008 7:10:37 AM
[ have news for you all: We are NOT white, our ancestors did not enslave you, our ancestors did not oppress you, and we do not owe anybody an apology, explanation, or reparation of any kind. If anything, you all owe that to us.]

Generalizing seems to be the bigest problem on both sides......Because it makes it so much easier to prove a point. If most people who are considered to be white are comfortable in believing that all blacks are lazy, welfare driven burdens on this country why then is it not okay with blacks being comfortable that all whites were former slave owners, Klan members and white supremacists. We have to open our minds past the media driven generalizations that we're comfortable with. I grew up in predominantly white neighborhoods ....I mean so predominant that for every 1,000 white family you would find 1 black family. But they were in neighborhoods that were upper middle-class college educated areas. Not that racism doesn't exist there....but I didn't see it there as much as I would see in poorer more seperated neighborhoods. As a devout christian I know who my true enemy is and he is neither black nor white...but allows himself to use people like vessels who allow him in. Almost like the movie Fallen starring Denzel Washington...."TiiIIIIme is on our siIIIde, YES IT iiiiiS"....There are good people of all colors and bad people of all colors. Slavery was a BAD thing, I believe Rev. Wright like John Hagee, Jimmy Swaggart, Pat Robertson, Jim Bakker and a whole host of others are attention seeking pastors who at somepoint lost their way with the Lord. I'm sure if America can forgive these Pastors for some of their heinous statements then I"M SURE that America can forgive Rev. Wright...lol...if and when he decides to come around.

Does anyone out there even know why sunday is considered the most SEGREGATED hour in the week?
 fridayboo
Msg: 652
view profile
History
Mr.Wright (Move On)
Posted: 5/31/2008 4:33:10 PM
wooohooo it'll be wrapped up next week. 2,050...Time to focus on party unity.......People, he has dropped the church all together.......so (move on)...he is the Democratic Nominee....ooooooOOOOh happy daaaay
 faith2565
Msg: 655
view profile
History
Mr.Wright (Move On)
Posted: 6/1/2008 7:36:52 AM
Yes, Obama quit the church. Father Flannigan gave a very negative sermon about the Clintons and got in trouble with the Catholic church (Hagee's says they are the bride of satan).

We all know Obama was not there that Sunday (because of the campaign) so before people start looking at the tapes to see if he is in the audience he as LEFT THE CHURCH.

I was watching the Rules Commitee yesterday and Clintonites are starting to look like Ron Paul fanatics. I am just waiting for them to take the grape kool-aid (Jim Jones) or look for the space ship that will take them to planet Clinton.
 motownmaniax
Msg: 656
Mr.Wright (Move On)
Posted: 6/1/2008 8:18:53 AM
My own views on racism.

One thing I’ll never agree with is the argument that because of past injustices, a group of people is “owed” something. “Any” ethnic or racial community that uses history as a crutch to play the victim forever and allows it to poison their viewpoint is simply wrong, and will “always” demand extra help and government intervention to “fix” things.

Obama has repeatedly said his main goal is to bring “everyone” together and not favor one community over another. If I thought he had a secret agenda to do otherwise I wouldn’t vote for him. Furthermore, if the only reason many in the black community choose to support and vote for him is due to the expectation they’ll “get” something in return, that Obama will somehow right the wrongs of history and push for even more government welfare programs that only target and single out blacks, you’re not participating in this election for the right reasons.

Racism will always be with us; there is no utopia, no safe havens, no place to shelter from it anywhere on earth. It can’t be outlawed and wiped out simply by an election or the stroke of a pen. But as Obama has shown, people don’t have to be paralyzed by it. They don’t have to make it worse by harboring their own hate, sense of entitlement, and mindset of victimization forever.

THAT’S why I’ll never agree or support people like Wright or, just last week, Father Pfleger (which managed the rare feat of being both racist “and” sexist). If whites spouted their kind of “injustice”, blacks would be equally outraged, and they’d be 100% correct.
 fridayboo
Msg: 658
view profile
History
Mr.Wright (Move On)
Posted: 6/1/2008 9:09:08 AM
People who think it is just a matter of coincidence that the black community as a whole exist at the bottom of every social measure while white people dominate at the top operate in a vacuum void of any appreciation for our history together.
From the paintings and drawings as well as stories of the laziness, shiftiness, immoral character, and other negative examples of the character of black people back in the days of African enslavement to today’s modern caricatures who reinforce these age old stereotypes by appearing in videos and movies and magazines and television shows with bugging eyes, heavily slurred and colorful speech patterns, immoral and completely unsophisticated behaviors and the like.
Black people do not have the luxury of forgetting what happened in the past. It is helpful to learn from the past so that we can avoid making the same mistakes that keep us at the bottom of all the different social ladders. Black people should embrace their past and keep it at the forefront of our conscious. The history of racism in America is very indicative of America’s racial relationships today. People can claim that black people’s focus on the racism of white people is a crutch or an excuse for our condition. Are people who push for leaving the past in the past pushing to keep black people disassociated from the lessons of our ancestors so that we can forget and continue to learn what America as a whole thinks of us all over again?
It is very important to acknowledge the fundamental injustice, cruelty, brutality, and inhumanity of slavery in the United States and the 13 American colonies between 1619 and 1865 and to establish a commission to examine the institution of slavery. My Grandfather who died this year was profoundly affected by slavery and he was born in 1912. He literally had a fear of white people...in every manner.
Slavery in America tends to be overlooked in high schools. Of course they acknowledge that slavery existed, but most schools don’t go into great detail on the subject. Teachers say something along the lines of “A lot of Americans owned slaves,” and then go on to discuss in detail the Industrial Revolution or the Civil War.
It wasn’t until college that I learned that there were slave revolts. I had always assumed that there must have been uprisings but it wasn’t until college that I learned that slave revolts were common (though small and ineffective) and the primary reason Lincoln released the slaves was to punish Southerners. I should have entered college knowing that, but unfortunately, slavery doesn’t seem to be as high on the teaching agenda as it should be.
The issue of reparations for slavery has become a widely publicized topic in the past few years. This issue has been brought up mainly because of the reparations which were paid to the Jewish people after World War II, rights given to the Native Americans and the payments which were recently made to the Japanese-Americans for their wrongful imprisonment. We may not need reparations.....but nothing has been given to us....and EVERYTHING that we have fought for as a people in America has made America a better country. A country that can truly say that it is a democracy.
 _JAFO_
Msg: 659
Mr.Wright (Move On)
Posted: 6/1/2008 9:18:07 AM
RE: Post 657

I think that he should pick Governor Janet Napolitano (AZ), She took Arizona from a huge deficit to a surplus without raising taxes, …she is in lock step with Barrack on how to solve illegal immigration

I don’t know where you got your information fridayboo. You’re from Winston-Salem North Carolina.

I’m from Arizona. Let me clear the record about our Governor Janet Napolitano.

We are in the worst financial crisis to date with this state because of her. And if memory serves correct she took us from a surplus to a huge deficit.

Arizona has the worst budget deficit situation in the U.S., according to one group's figures.

Arizona's estimated $1.7 billion deficit is 16.2 percent of state spending, according to CBPP.

That is higher percentage than California (15.4 percent and a $16 billion deficit) and Nevada (7.8 percent and a $565 million deficit).

Napolitano, a Democrat, wants to use debt financing to pay for school construction instead of the usual state practice of paying for cash. She also wants to put traffic surveillance cameras on state highways and bring in $90 million in extra revenue from speeding fines. The idea of cameras is becoming a reality.

Now regarding immigration…

Her way of "dealing" with illegal immigration is to look the other way. Our governor has blocked a $1.5 M budget that was originally promised to Sheriff Joe Arpaio (the toughest sheriff in the country) in an effort to stop him from addressing illegal immagration head on in Maricopa county. Sheriff Joe is primarily the ONLY law enforcement agency actively trying to solve illegal immigration issues. She cut off his funding to try to rein him in. The other law enforcement agencies look the other way unless it slaps them in the face and they have no other option but pick an illegal up.

So yeah… she’s in line with Obama about immigration. And I guess while I’m thinking about it she’s in line fiscally with Obama also.
 fridayboo
Msg: 660
view profile
History
Mr.Wright (Move On)
Posted: 6/1/2008 11:46:46 AM
Chosen by Time Magazine as one of America’s Top Five Governors, Janet Napolitano’s hallmark is common sense – she does what makes sense and what works.

1983-1984 - Law clerk for the Honorable Mary Schroeder of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals

1984-1993 - Attorney with Lewis & Roca, a top Arizona law firm. Napolitano was made a firm partner in 1989.

1993-1998 - U.S. Attorney for District of Arizona, appointed by President Bill Clinton. As U.S. Attorney, she supervised the prosecution of more than 6,000 immigration cases.

1998-2002 - Attorney General of Arizona

Elected as Arizona Governor in 2002, and reelected in 2006. Gov. Napolitano

I don't have to live there to have the facts. She hasn't won two terms for doin nothin.

Additionally, attitudes about local and state officials were examined in the poll, and the result is a strong feeling of support for Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon, who was rated favorably among 65 percent of respondents who had an opinion. Among those same respondents, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio found support by 69 percent of them and MC Attorney Andrew Thomas had a 70 percent favorable rating.

Gov. Janet Napolitano was the biggest winner, however, earning good or excellent marks from 76 percent of those surveyed.

She has a higher rating than McCain does in your state....lol
 _JAFO_
Msg: 661
Mr.Wright (Move On)
Posted: 6/1/2008 12:05:51 PM
Additionally, attitudes about local and state officials were examined in the poll, and the result is a strong feeling of support for Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon, who was rated favorably among 65 percent of respondents who had an opinion. Among those same respondents, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio found support by 69 percent of them and MC Attorney Andrew Thomas had a 70 percent favorable rating.

A group called "American Citizens United" is going to attempt to recall Phoenix mayor Phil Gordon over his support for illegal immigration. This is the current "support" in our community for Phil Gordon who interestingly enough was born in Chicago.

There is a huge backlash in our area right now over illegal immigration and funding in our state. Something your article didn't address for whatever reason. I guess the people who are trying to recall our Mayor were the ones who had "no opinion" in the poll.

I heard an interesting interview with Andrew Thomas a few days ago. According to him he went to Harvard alongside Obama.

You are entitled to take your information from that great resume Time Magazine offered up. I'll draw my information right here while sitting within the community. What would I know?

There are people who have a need to be right at all costs regardless of the facts.

I don't have to live there to have the facts. She hasn't won two terms for doin nothin.

So has Bush.
Now can we get back on topic? I don't care what you believe. I just wanted to clear the air about our governor to others.
 fridayboo
Msg: 662
view profile
History
Mr.Wright (Move On)
Posted: 6/1/2008 12:39:01 PM
Facts: Sooo she hasn't won two terms? and your saying she doesn't have a overall favorable oppinion in your state. Whatever...sorry that I don't agree with you. I guess the only people according to you allowed to have an oppinion or even speak on Arizonans are Arizonans. Let's try not to be so partisan that we can't even admit when someone is doing a good job. Just because you live there doesn't mean that your not hugly biased against all things democratic. What's Mr. Bush's approval rating now? 17%? Anyway this argument belongs on another forum...and would be more than happy to take it else where Back to topic: Mr. Wright (Move On)...Looks like Barrack has...will you guys move on to something else or will you try to continue with "Gotcha" politics?
 motownmaniax
Msg: 663
Mr.Wright (Move On)
Posted: 6/1/2008 3:58:17 PM
Friday, no one is recommending America sweep slavery under the rug or minimize its effects. MLK was one of our greatest leaders and is honored as such, and not just in the black community.

I also don’t agree that slavery has been “overlooked” in our schools. It never was when I was educated 30 yrs ago (I’m part of the generation that came of age when the TV series “Roots” came out, and that certainly stimulated attention).

There’s a fine line between education over past wrongs and obsession with victimhood.

Probably the only example of racial injustice as bad, and in some ways worse, than slavery in American history (it actually predates the founding of America) is what happened to North American indigenous peoples. When white European colonizers landed on American shores, the native Indians were not enslaved but wholly exterminated from one end of the nation to the other, their land stolen. Those that were left were herded into reservations and basically given a choice, either integrate themselves into American society (and put up with all the attendant ridicule, resistance, and racism) or stay on reservations.

If you favor some form of financial “reparations” for present-day blacks, how much are we talking about here? We’d also have to delineate just exactly who gets what, since everyone’s DNA is so diluted (case in point, Obama himself)? Constituting total “blackness” would be difficult; would the amount of reparations be based on how “black” one is? Would it be 80%, 60%, 50% of one’s genetic heritage? And just who decides?

You mean if the US government cuts a check and gives out a few hundred or thousands of dollars in specifically “targeted” compensation for racial injustices, the country will NEVER hear any more on the subject of slavery from the black community, forever and ever? Hardly. If anything, some people will always want more and tie up our court system for decades.

What about the American Indian example I used above? What compensation would you think fair to address the taking of their land and extermination of whole peoples? Maybe not only financial redress, but give them back huge swaths of land to boot? Are you willing to hand over the land you live on to the ancestors of native Americans in order to “make things right”?

I'm of Mexican heritage, and many Mexicans to this day believe giant parts of the southwest were "stolen" and should still be considered part of Mexico. If you investigate history they certainly have a argument. Do you support giving the disputed land back to Mexico and paying billions, maybe trillions, in "reparations" (we're talking "our" tax dollars here)?

The examples I could use are endless.

No, I'm sorry. I will NEVER support the mindset of victimization because it only furthers it and never gives closure.
 fridayboo
Msg: 664
view profile
History
Mr.Wright (Move On)
Posted: 6/1/2008 4:23:08 PM
Motown,, we probally agree on more areas concerning this subject than we disagree. I'm a direct decendant of slaves...but I don't think money is the answer....I think that there has to be recognation by the U.S. government verbally on how wrong it was and the damage that it caused. Actions and words could do so much more than any amount of money. Things that help Americans and the world know that the days of the good ol boy networks and white supremacy is something that no longer exists in the main stream of This Great country. That hardwork alone will get you there...that glass ceilings are a thing of the past.
 motownmaniax
Msg: 665
Mr.Wright (Move On)
Posted: 6/1/2008 4:53:21 PM
Yes, Friday, based on your posts in this thread we probably do agree more than disagree. In many ways forums or message boards are poor substitutes for in-depth, face-to-face discussions.

I do think America is getting past the white-dominated, good ole boy networks. I live in metropolitan Detroit, and we've had black city administrations for decades now, something that many would have thought impossible just 40 years ago. We've also had blacks in the highest levels of government (Colin Powell, Condi Rice). Obama's candidacy is the best proof of all that America is ready for a black president.

Obama in 08!
 motownmaniax
Msg: 669
Mr.Wright (Move On)
Posted: 6/1/2008 6:44:04 PM
Simmah, in my view, the core issues revolving around Wright and Obama have "everything" to do with race in this country, so any discussion "must" incorporate it. To avoid it is like trying to ignore a two-thousand pound elephant in the corner of a room.

motownmaniax
Msg: 674
Mr.Wright (Move On)
Posted: 6/2/2008 3:49:33 AM
There are still a lot of text messages that haven't been released to the public, so I'm still holding out hope, Vyp.
 fridayboo
Msg: 676
view profile
History
Mr.Wright (Move On)
Posted: 6/2/2008 6:28:28 AM
Motown? Do you think Kwame should go? Is he being railroaded or is everything that is coming out about him now? His mom seemed like a good woman...but I guess you never know.
Jmarquis...damn you don't read...since you were all in my thread to motown....take the time to actually read it PleasE. An apology in words...from the American government...not cash, coins, gold or any kind of bounty. You like to argue for arguments sake. I don't...if my mind can be changed i'm always open to it which is why I come onto these forums. I give or respond to an oppinion hoping for feedback that if I deem valid I may change my stance on certain issues. Key point being that I read carefully...try it
 fridayboo
Msg: 682
view profile
History
Mr.Wright (Move On)
Posted: 6/2/2008 2:32:35 PM
Jedi Girl....what is wrong with you. How much hate in your heart do you have to have to say something that rediculous. My GOD, I truly wonder about some of you guys childhood....It's almost like you enjoy being hateful. I'll pray for you regardless.
There were more than 10-12 million slaves brought to America, this doesn't account for the ones that were killed during capture or died on the ships . These people did not voluntarily come over here contrary to anything you may believe. I think if you really wanted to know this you wouldn't spout such ignorance. The civil war was fought so that sothern whites(the Confederacy) could maintain their slaves and their way of life in the south. They were willing to split this country up over it. How patriotic. No one wants anything from you guys. But as an American citizen who has just as much right as you....I reserve the right to ask this from my government without recieving hate speech. Jedi girl do you really want us to all believe that you were actually behind Obama in the first place and that this reverend wright thing so upset you that your now on a rampage.....It seems like more of a stunt to rile up racial hatred and to galvanize support for your own agendas. Don't assume that all blacks or even Obama for that matter thinks like either of those bafoon Reverends. Don't be so naive to think that all african american Reverends are like Wright. I'm not so naive to believe that All Caucasian Reverends are Like Hagee, Roberts, Bakker or swaggert. I've actually been to multiethnic churches before. My Church readily excepts all races...does yours?
 motownmaniax
Msg: 684
Mr.Wright (Move On)
Posted: 6/2/2008 4:45:20 PM
Motown? Do you think Kwame should go? Is he being railroaded or is everything that is coming out about him now?

Friday, when I think of Kwame I'm equal parts sad and angry that someone so obviously intelligent, charismatic, and politically skilled could squander his prodigious gifts (the man is a born communicator) and ruin a bright political future over something so frivolous and stupid.

If he just would have come clean at the start about his affair with his Chief of Staff, Christine Beatty, the scandal would have died quickly with little damage to his and the city's reputation. But instead he lied and tried to cover up the truth, wrongfully firing two investigating police officers (both black), which took him to court and won a settlement that cost city taxpayers almost nine million dollars. The reason he settled so abruptly was because the former officer's attorneys got a hold of very incriminating text messages he had with Beatty, all but proving his guilt, and as part of the settlement the messages were never to be released.

However, after the messages "were" released by court order in a freedom of information suit, he then compounded matters even further by using the race card and charging the media was "out to get him", both patently absurd (as the thousands of text messages he had with Beatty, very sexually explicit, and his scheming to get rid of the officers before they could uncover the truth, confirm).

To this day he has not accepted full responsibility for the debacle and continues to deflect all criticism, so yes, I think he should step down.

Very sad over what could have been (he was considered a rising star and even governorship material).
 fridayboo
Msg: 685
view profile
History
Mr.Wright (Move On)
Posted: 6/2/2008 6:07:03 PM
Thanx for the clarification. The fact that he cheated on his wife and lied about it is frustrating enough. If the governor of NY should step down then so should he. Does he have a lot of people there backing him...or is it becoming racially divided? I saw that the lead prosecutor was black. Which makes it not appear to be a black whit issue...more of just an abuse of power issue.
 exodusi1
Msg: 686
view profile
History
Mr.Wright (Move On)
Posted: 6/2/2008 6:16:37 PM
Man, what is it with all the nutty preachers in this country?
 motownmaniax
Msg: 687
Mr.Wright (Move On)
Posted: 6/2/2008 7:06:04 PM
Friday, almost all the principals in the case are black, so his charges of racism holds no water with me. Yes, definitely an abuse of power case.

Kwame has both very vocal supporters and critics; it's hard to figure the ratio, though. I do know Detroit City Council (all black) asked him to step down voluntarily, and when he didn't voted to remove him by using some mechanism in the city charter. The problem is the impeachment clause was removed years ago and never reinstated, so they don't have too much legal basis to force him out if he wants to serve the rest of his term. He could be recalled, but so far I haven't seen any serious petition drive to do so.

The current push is for the Michigan governor, Jennifer Granholm, to step in and remove him by executive action, but so far she's declined to get involved in such a politically-charged issue.
 faith2565
Msg: 689
view profile
History
Mr.Wright (Move On)
Posted: 6/4/2008 4:54:47 PM
HISTORY HAS BEEN MADE!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >