Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 junipermoon
Msg: 3
view profile
History
GET RID of the FLUE or COLD ; ---OVER NIGHT;Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
i totally agree with a good sweat, particularly for colds and other delightful experiences. but, before you bundle up, take a long hot bath in sea salts with chapparal, juniper and rosemary. these help to draw out the toxins.

and ~ cayenne! cayenne! cayenne! the absolute greatest herb for colds.
 London Lass 59
Msg: 4
GET RID of the FLUE or COLD ; ---OVER NIGHT;
Posted: 3/15/2008 8:48:40 PM
Influenza and the common cold are viruses , they do not respond to antibiotics.......Unless you have a fever of 102 or above, plus chills, fatigue and body aches, you do not have the flu! If you have a genuine case of the flu, you will be laid low for several days if not weeks. You will not feel better the next day that is for sure!

If you have not had a flu shot, but think you may have the flu, there are a few good med alternatives available, such as Tamiflu and Flumadine. These meds need to be taken at the onset of symptoms to have full effect..... Make sure you also keep yourselves well hydrated, do not let your temp spike, alternate Tylenol with Motrin , and just be ready to ride out the virus........
 Lil Brooker
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/16/2008 1:14:48 AM
Here's another.
Steep garlic in hot milk. Add honey and butter. Drink right before bed. Cover up well.
You will sweat to the point of making your sheets wet and wake up many notches closer to being well. Mostly for a cold.

This is a remedy used for three generations in my Ukrainian family. And it works!
 jabbar
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2008 8:16:41 AM
sorry sir flu is created by a virus, virus dont shy in blankets, nor they mind the the drins yoiu mentioned, i as a medical doctor totally disagree with you
 MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/17/2008 10:43:11 AM
I've got to agree with Motley. The claim that doing these things the OP suggests will get rid of the flu overnight just can't be reasonably considered realistic. For one, he admits not knowing what he had. Was the virus actually identified? No. Therefor the claim is not valid.

And as was eluded to earlier, a lot of people think they have the flu when they really just have a cold or some other ailment that is less severe. Getting actual influenza is a very different experience. When you the the real flu you understand why so many people die from it. You will feel bad for longer than a day and there will often be a period of time lasting days where you feel like your body is not making progress. On the upside, after that, colds will no longer seem like any kind of a big deal by comparison. The term "the flu" is thrown around so much that people don't really seem to consider it a "serious disease" anymore, but it is.

As suggested earlier, make sure you keep yourself well hydrated and contrary to what some people will advise, you never want to try and starve it out. It doesn't eat your food, it "eats" you, basically. Eat as well as you can so that your body has the resources to put up a fight. The flu kills tens of thousands of people in the U.S. yearly (see link below). The rate skyrockets when you get into underdeveloped countries due (to a great degree) to malnutrition.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/weekly/aa011303a.htm
 MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/17/2008 7:27:24 PM
I believe you did what you say you did and that you got better, but you're one person on the internet and there's no way of knowing (we'll come back to this word) what you had or what made you feel better.

In order to "know" what you had, real verification is needed. As we have seen, the presumed virus was never identified. On top of that, this was not an experiment in controlled conditions and involved an unknown but small sample (you and some people you know). And honestly, the vast majority of the time when I get a cold, it goes away without me doing anything special very quickly, so would you be okay with me telling everyone "don't worry, go on about your business, it'll be gone tomorrow"? Maybe your body is just fighting off these illnesses the way it would normally.

And we have every bit as much of a right to state our view of things as you do. This is a public forum, even in your thread.

But yes, people can try it for themselves. It doesn't sound harmful, so long as they don't neglect taking in fluids and good food while they try this.
 lexmarx
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2008 9:49:02 AM
If you really believe those flu vaccinations work I have some swamp land I would like to sell you. My wife and I were over the road truckers. So when we saw the Medical mobile unit at a truckstop up north saying free shots, okay why not. We rarely caught anything in those days. Let me tell you. THE ABSOLUTE WORST case of Flu that either of us have ever had lasted for THREE weeks. Since then we run the other way. And surprise surprise the worst case of flu since then has lasted a week. Just recently so called scientists are admitting that most flu shots are ineffective. Doesn't make sense to me to go spend $100. to get infected when a few tabs of zicam works just as well.
 lexmarx
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2008 9:52:46 AM
why does he get ill so frequently...hmmm... scientist... figures. Maybe because he has a weakened immune system? And I'm just a retired trucker.
 MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/18/2008 10:35:53 AM
The flu vaccination has never been an absolute preventative from getting the flu. The flu comes in a lot of varieties, caused by a lot of different viral strains. What they do is make a projection of the three (I believe it's three) strains most likely to be a problem during the flu season. They then make a vaccine that gives recipients a great degree protection from those particular strains and some residual protection against other strains. Can you still then get the flu? Absolutely, but it is less likely. Additionally, your immune system doesn't fully react to the vaccine for about two weeks, so it takes that long to really get the vaccine's benefits.
 pseudonymJay
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/18/2008 6:19:56 PM
Do any of you here agree in the placebo effect? It might have some bearing on OP's insistance that his remedy actually works.
 MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/18/2008 7:23:45 PM
I was going to suggest that, but figured it'd anger him further, resulting in much textual shouting...
 jabbar
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2008 7:56:38 AM
respected miss motley i am a qualified mbbs physician, but i am not a pratitioner, as i am nowadays in research
 MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/19/2008 9:43:49 AM
Re: Msg 30

Ah, the gay joke, the standard retreat position of those with a failed argument. Well done. The ultimate irony? Followed it with "people that spread thier hate". Unreal.

For the record, I do think your intentions in making this thread and giving this advice were good ones. But you gave medical advice that I don't think holds water, so I expressed my opinion. Still, as I said, people are free to try it for themselves and I doubt it'll do them harm. They may even get a beneficial placebo effect.
 MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/20/2008 4:32:57 PM
I suppose I should've said "health advice" rather than "medical advice". And you're right at least that doctors don't know everything. Nobody does. They still know far more about this sort of thing than the average person, though.

And yes, scientists do discover new ways of doing things, but they go about it using the scientific method, which was not employed here.

It's good to be open to new ideas when they're well-supported, but it's not good to be open to new ideas just because they're new. I know you have personal evidence that this seems to work, for you. I think our disagreement basically comes down to me believing it'd have been better for you to say "Here's something that has seemed to get rid of what I think have been colds and the flu, though I was never diagnosed." Qualification of claims is important, in my opinion.
 London Lass 59
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/25/2008 8:15:09 PM
Well jacel, your cures may one day put myself and my doc out of business, it would be a lot cheaper for my patients to boil up a pot of soup for their ailments, than for us to prescribe expensive meds that might actually cure them!!!

Not sure how many patients would survive this concoction, but at least their insurance deductables and medical bills would be lower, but their grocery bills would skyrocket!!........

fishbill
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/26/2008 7:04:24 AM
"""Cept Thurseday, --I stayed inside all day ; -----I had 3 colds --- in 3 days; --- Got rid of each --everytime-- overnight;----I do speak the truth; Why it works, I DON'T KNOW,----BUT IT WORKS; ---It might be,--- breathing the fumes? ? ?""

I really do have a flu! or Pneumonia right now I'm not sure. I do not have a sore throat, and I do not have headaches. Luckily, this type of thing only happens once or twice a year to me.

This has been going on since Saturday morning 4 days ago. My arms and calves ache like crazy (I just woke up and took 4 ibuprofens). If I breathe shallow there is little chest pain or "rasping", but if I "cough" volountarily or not, It's very coarse, and loosens thick dark phlegm. I am very weak, basically laying around the house all day.

I am going to call the Drs. Office here when they open.

I did use the Menthol salicylate muscle rub yesterday, and I think that does ease the symptoms of muscle pain.
 billymccool
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/26/2008 6:19:33 PM
I agree with motley maiden. I was the unfortunate victim of the flu for the first time of my life this past winter. I can honestly say it was one of the worst things ive been through. I had to go to the hospital because my fever wouldnt break. I was at 104 which i guess is very very high.

The doctor told me it takes about 10 days for the flue to completely leave your body. I have an over-active immune system so my body passed it in about 4-5 days. But id say that my energy took atleast 10 days to return to normal.

Colds are a different story.
 crazytimes1
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/27/2008 4:01:54 AM

-----I had 3 colds --- in 3 days; --- Got rid of each --everytime-- overnight;----

Chances are you just had one cold for three colds and your perception of the symptoms fluctuated throughout the day

I had the flu last year. Some days I was limited to several steps at a time, it took nearly a month to recover fully and I am a big strapping healthy lad. Although I really wish that your little trick worked with massive viral infections, I fear it does not. Thanks for the advice though.
 crazytimes1
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/27/2008 5:07:52 AM
Aside from the fact that your writing looks suspiciously like the contents of my spam filter, I am sure you are a nice person and all. That does not change the fact that your medical 'advice is not really based on any safe and sound reality.

I would indeed tend towards trying to sweat out a severe viral infection being harmful. Temperature extreme do not aid the immune system.

However, most people with common sense will not try your method. I do not plan on continuing this discussion either- your nonsensical writing and 'anecdotal' evidence pain me just to be near. I do encourage everyone else to seek medical advice rather than trying something silly like this.
 catabrie
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/27/2008 9:47:44 AM
As I've read through this thread I've cringed, laughed, applauded & shook my head in disbelief. All the disdain I see moves me to throw in my two cents.

There are too many things about the human body that no one - the medical profession included - understands. IMO, a medical doctor does nothing more than make an educated guess as to what might ail a person & save/fail people everyday with their guesses - I almost said the word kill because misdiagnoses are an every day event for them - the human body is far more tricky than those rascally, mutant virii ever dreamt of being.

The scientific method was brought up as if it is & has been the only means that cures or otherwise beneficial to humans has been discovered... Might I point out that the simple act of washing hands between treating patients proved to be a catalyst in saving more lives than can be counted but was discovered by serendipity, as was penicillen & a vast amount of other effectual treatments for the human body.

I owe my life to the medical community as well as a year + of agony & near death - a doctor treated me for a simple flu which turned out to be rhuematic fever - if you do not know of this virus then educate yourself - it might save your life some day because in my experience, doctors seem to know little of it & it must be treated with a particular antibiotic. The rhuematic fever itself was not lifethreatening but the resulting effects on my heart was & 8 years after said flu, I was treated for better than a year by a licensed doctor who watched me fall into the clutches of cardiac arrest yet was still at a loss as to what was wrong - despite my telling him of my chest pains & other symptoms. My ailment was discovered by trial & error - after all a 29 year old woman shouldn't have a heart condition don't you know. It was found by ruling out other possibilities, ergo educated guesses but once pinpointed corrected with significant ease.

In my experience, the mind & determination can do miraculous things to/for the body & I still practice those little things my mother/grandmother taught me regarding home remedies - so many do work without the benefit of the scientific method - if it works for you then more power, etc.

And btw, I give my trust to those in the medical profession after they earn it, not because they might have a nicely framed certificate on their wall. People acheive the "peter principal" everyday in the field of medicine, as in all walks of life.

cata
 catabrie
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/27/2008 6:15:21 PM
Jacel, please understand that I do not discount doctors for what they do, as I stated before, I owe my life to one, a very skillful heart surgeon. The great majority of doctors do one hell of a job making those correct guesses, as well as some who are not so good at it. My point was that the human body is a miraculous system that none of us fully understand , not even doctors or other medical professionals, & that not all effective medical practices are founded on that clinical scientific method.

Home remedies have a place & posters here should not ridicule you for what works for you but by the same token, you should not try to put yourself in a place where you do the same in return. If your remedy works for you, then by all means keep doing it but, sir, the best remedy I have discovered for either the flu or cold is a glass of water with lemon juice, cayenne pepper & black strap molasses along with zycam nasal swabs - the drink detoxifies my body (helps greatly with aches/pains) while the zycam enables me to breathe - this is my own self treatment & works for me but I certainly wouldn't espouse it as a great cure-all... I believe in NO cure-alls for anything - which smacks of the "snake oil" peddler.

As for aspertame poisoning, I know nothing of it. I do not intake it in any form of which I am aware as I do not eat or drink anything of a "diet" nature.

cata
 MrGuyCaballero
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/28/2008 8:20:57 PM
Just to clarify, I know that not all cures were arrived at using the scientific method. But it still stands that if you want to find out if what you believe is working is really the thing at play, the best way to do that is using the scientific method. The problem with ignoring that and saying "don't dismiss home remedy 1 or home remedy 2 until you've tried it" is that there are thousands (well, probably millions) of them out there. So, out of all the choices, which treatment should you go with? The one with the best evidence. That treatment right now is to get rest in a clean comfortable environment and eat and drink as well as you can.

To the thread starter: I'm not trying to get you to stop doing this. And anyone else who gets a cold, if you want to try it, by all means, I'm fine with that. However, if you get a high fever, as others have said, doing things that will boost your already high body temperature seems like a bad idea. If your temperature goes too high, things can get really bad for you: over 105 and you have increased risk of bacterial infection, over 108 and the fever will do damage itself.
 catabrie
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/29/2008 8:33:30 AM
I agree with you MrGuy - my post was not intended as an attack on your words. I was only trying to point out that science is not an end all to what works & we each react to things (medically) in different ways... & this is not to say that I think Jacel's cure is a good one, but it is his. In my second post, you will see that I view any type of "cure all" for anything just "snake oil" peddling. And my home remedies are just that, MY home remedies - no cure alls.

I certainly do not long for the days of early medicine but lets face it - its all about the $ & pharmeceutical companies are the engines running the medical field & there is no money in home remedies for them although there are many which have been scientifically proven to be effective. As certain as that there is no cure for the common cold & flu virii will continue to mutate to live - its all about the $.

On a sidenote to those who load up on antibiotics on a regular basis - you can develop an allergy to those as well as teach virii how to overcome their healing effects.

Peace to all & here's to staying healthy.

cata
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >