Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Dumpling-Girl
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Has anyone here gone on 100 online dates?Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
101st time's a charm...

Over several years, it's not really that many. Say, if it was 5 years, it would be less than one every two weeks. And they don't have to all be bad experiences either. Or emotionally draining. Try to have fun with your dates, people. It shouldn't be an ordeal.
 Discotrash
Msg: 15
Has anyone here gone on 100 online dates?
Posted: 3/21/2008 12:59:00 AM
I have met 200 or 300 some people off the internet. But I live in Las Vegas, lots of people to meet. and I USED to be a major slut, I have slept with 633 men...

seriously.
If you are REALLY looking for dates, date a LOT of people to find compatibility.
 victoriasnewsecret
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2008 6:42:12 AM
I haven't been counting exactly, but I've met a decent number of people.

When I first started the online thing, I was amazed at how quickly the dates flew in. It was overwhelming, at some points I'd have two or three dates a day (this was over summer break for me). I got to know people pretty quickly. When it comes to meeting people online, you usually know by the end of the first date if you are seriously interested enough in them to pursue a second date, so meeting so many people was a pretty great thing. Honestly though, I'm too damn lazy to go on that many dates all the time, and there are too many times where I'm just not looking at all and can't be bothered going on even one date.

That said, 100 dates is nothing to find the right person. One date a week and you've got that covered in 2 years, how is that a bad thing? Then again, I'm also college aged. If I stumble across someone who goes to my school I just meet them - chances are, I'd run into them sooner or later anyway, this just gives us an excuse to talk.

Anyway, the "juggling" wasn't my act, so I slowed it down. Fast forwarding to today, I haven't met anyone in months. In my experiences, I haven't met many people that were worth keeping touch with in the long run. Most meetings have lopsided interest - one person is interested and the other isn't. I've been on both sides of that equation. My advice to anyone is if you're interested in someone, meet them sooner rather than later. So much of attraction is based on a person's mannerisms, the way they carry themselves, and things you can't see in a picture. Everything before the meeting usually goes out the window, and after, it becomes clear quickly whether or not any interest that is present will be sustained.
 Phoenix The Wych
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/21/2008 7:01:56 AM
I've been a member of POF for about 3 years.....been on about 50 "dates"....if you count coffee meetings as dates......if you mean REAL dates, as in dinner, dancing, drinks.....then probably only about 30. But I've had two 6 month relationships in that time frame also.....and took a 3 month vacation last summer where I only met one guy. So.....I think the lady must be very active *LOL*.......I think I'd rather meet the man of my dreams and count that as my one date than to "count scalps" so to say *LOL*.
 txmary18
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 9/20/2008 10:41:10 PM
nah 4 they didnt work out ahaaaaaa
 whytwater
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/21/2008 5:18:38 AM

I have slept with 633 men...

Sooo, are you wealthy?
 bldrnnr67
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/21/2008 8:43:40 AM
I've been doing online dating since 1998. I've gone on more than 100, but I don't keep count. I'll probably be labeled a serial dater or some other silly nonsense. I had a 5 year relationship, with whom I married and later divorced, from online dating. I've had a couple of other relationships that have lasted 3 or more months from online dating.

I may not of had a high percentage of second dates, but I've had a good time getting out and meeting new people. As long as you do it a safe manner, I don't buy into the stigma of meeting a lot of people through online dating. Not all my dates have been great, but I believe that most the women that have met me do not regret having met me. I may not have been what they were looking for or vice versa, but as long as you are having fun, who cares?
 OutMind
Msg: 23
Posted: 9/22/2008 7:25:12 AM

100 dates doesn't mean 100 bad ones. I think you go on dates until you find someone with whom you are compatible and I hope I don't wind up dating long enough to believe I need to start counting.

I agree 100%. Some are great, some are bad, some you know right off the bad that you will never match. A successful date is one in which you have a good time, and had the change to get to know and incredible human being. If you match, that is a blessing, if you don't, you just had the chance to meet another person, that because you know is not what you want, takes you closer to the one that you will.

Went out with about 89 different women before I found the one. They make me appreciate what I found.
 Miss W
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/22/2008 9:48:30 AM

I'd rather drink raw sewage out of the hollow skull of a swine.

This particular act and crawl through glass and vomit and poke my eyes out with a fork.
 qu1nn
Msg: 26
Posted: 9/22/2008 10:43:19 AM
I have gone on at least 80... but I stopped counting. Mostly from match though,. not from this site. I have also been doing this for close to 3 years, so I would hope I would get my monies worth!

And with that, I think I might want to rethink my "guys should pay theory" LOL.
 ladyc4
Msg: 27
Posted: 9/22/2008 11:19:34 AM
Going off dogrox and sweetbabeblues posts...
You CANNOT "date" online. If I were to add up all the email contacts, phone conversations,IMs and call them "dates", I could easily over top the "100" mark.
All you can do online is to establish contact and a possible mutual attraction. Dating is what happens when 2 people agree to meet IN PERSON. If there's no chemistry, or there was a misrepresentation by either or both of the 2 people,then the first date is also the last date.
I'm guessing that the OP's friend had a lot of "first and last" dates, maybe some situations where it took several dates to determine that the chemistry wasn't strong enough or that the dating goals weren't shared.
But the bottom line is, you cannot date online. Emails,IMs,text messages, phone calls are NOT dates.
Cindy O
 ladyc4
Msg: 28
Posted: 9/22/2008 1:42:14 PM

Everyone was talking about ONLINE DATING..

And that's why I try to use the phrase "online personal ad sites" because this is not the first time that the phrase 'online dating' has been taken to mean that an exchange of emails, or an IM session, is a 'date'. IT ISN'T. A date is 2 people meeting in real time,whether they "met" online, or in a real life situation. I don't care how nekkid or graphic 2 people get with their webcams and mics via an instant messenger program, or over the phone, it's NOT 'dating.'
I'm guessing that what the OP was referring to was that her friend actually MET 100 men before she found the "connection" that evolved to a serious committed relationship. But maybe the OPs friend WAS considering every contact as a 'date'?
Cindy O
 GregFireman
Msg: 29
Posted: 9/22/2008 8:08:44 PM
I admit I have gone on probably about 25 online dates now. Like another poster said.... 1 in 10 are good. The rest... I should of stayed home and gotten Taco Bell and rented a movie.
 kokomogirl46902
Msg: 30
Posted: 9/22/2008 8:18:07 PM
I believe there is a distinction between how many "meet-n-greets" I've been on and how many "dates" I've been on. There is a VAST valley of difference between the two.....
 robfish
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/20/2008 3:55:00 PM
Online dates?? Well I have played a bit of online mini golf and texas holdem with a number of different women in an online gaming room so I guess that could make me a 'serial dater' in the cyber world. I also received a few kissing and hugging smileys during this time so i'm quite the charmer over a computer, its a shame that i'm a shy bumbling idiot in person!

As far as the face to face dates go, i've been on 2 since joining POF. While both dates went well and we got together regularly it didn't lead to anything meaningful. I don't see myself going anywhere near 100 dates, i'm after quality not quantity.
 ladyc4
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/20/2008 4:10:38 PM

And people who are on 300-500 favourites lists and supposedly looking for LONG TERM .. yeah... but it is more like LONG TERM POPULARITY.. hehe.. cause I dont think ALLl 400-500 of them live in the SAME state and are ALL applying for that LONG TERM POSITION! hehehe ..

So you resent an attractive/interesting person who is on a lot of "favorites" lists? How does being on a lot of favorites lists( being "popular", geez, I guess we are back in jr high?) refute that someone is looking for long term relationship? And not all online personal ad sites have such things as forums or chat rooms or 'favorites' lists. So how would one build up "popularity points"?
I don't know why some people get so knickerstwisted over this "favorites " thing....
Cindy O
 Cynderella
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2008 7:19:31 PM
100 dates...I haven't done that in a life time...hell I only ever dated 5 times my whole life!
 MelloDLyn
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2008 8:31:05 PM
I can say I have been on over 100 awful dates in the past year and 10 mos. Yeah it makes u shy away and u loose interest. When I meet someone we go out to dinner and drinks and talk. I call them meet and greets not dates because after meeting them they are not someone I would go on a date with. U can' t give up just be positive.
 whytwater
Msg: 36
Posted: 9/5/2009 8:44:06 PM

There needs to be some book about online dating and people's experiences and whether it worked. I think some people have written books on their experiences, but it should be a collection of different people

Multiple authors, all the answers in one place. The Bible!!! King James does internet dating. And it could be in all the hotel bedstand drawers. Lol
Kool idea!
 thwipp89
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2009 10:32:19 PM
this topic reminds me of the megadeth song, "99 ways to die"!!
 barbee1970
Msg: 38
Posted: 9/6/2009 1:26:38 AM
That's alot of dates. I haven't been on any I would really consider real dates here.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 39
Posted: 9/6/2009 3:44:08 PM

I'm probably close. That would mean an average of 9/10 a year. That's probably a little on the high side of quess-timation, but if I take into consideration I've been on at least 10 first dates/meetings since the beginning of this year, that would probably average out for the years I said, "Oh Hell No. I can't do this anymore." The eternal optimist I suppose, because I end up trying again eventually. It's definitely lost it's luster, however. Years ago ~ I frenzy and multi-dated. That passed long ago. Now it's usually just a quick one time deal to know: this isn't working!!
 TedJMill
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2009 5:00:25 PM
I'm 51 years old, and I haven't gone on 100 dates, online or not, with different people in my lifetime. Two or three a year is typical, and I've ranged from none in a number of years, to one year that I had five dates as the maximum.
 *ceej*
Msg: 41
Posted: 9/6/2009 5:16:33 PM
This is my second profile in 2 and a half years. I've probably met 50-60 men. Dates, no - meets, yup. From that group of men, I have dated 2. One of them was for 3 months and the other close to 7 months. I have had better luck with relationships from meeting men in my reality world.
 unsolvedmystery
Msg: 42
Posted: 9/7/2009 8:02:25 AM
100 different people is insane...but 100 total dates that include second/thirds and more is not that crazy if you're lucky enough to get alot of 2nd and 3rd dates.

I really don't even have a clue how many I've been on in total..I'd probably be shocked :P
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >