Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Photography      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BroadwayGal88
Msg: 26
PhotographyPage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I do Photography... i've been at it for a couple years now and do mostly landscapes...i just got into Digital because its easier for my clients to see my work online but i prefer my good ol 35mm black and white photography.
 brakishblonde59
Msg: 27
Photography
Posted: 3/28/2008 2:32:54 PM
I also do photography but not professionaly. I'm more interested in the digital image processing aspects like color management, Raw processing and calibration among others.

What I don't understand is since digital camera's are everywhere and dirt cheap making it quite easy to take a decent photo of one's self, why are there so many bad photos posted in profiles? I'm mainly speaking about profiles in my local area of Texas.

Is there a section on this site that gives tips for taking better photos such as good lighting without using flash, proper incamera compression jpeg settings allowing a simple upload without post processing?

Or does another thread need to be created for that?
 kornbluth
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 3/29/2008 6:40:48 AM
"Is there a section on this site that gives tips for taking better photos such as good lighting without using flash, proper incamera compression jpeg settings allowing a simple upload without post processing?"
-----------------------
I would do compression and most all adjustments in a bitmap program like Photo-Paint or PhotoShop, and not in the camera. Let the camera capture as much data as it can, and work in TIF format rather than JPEG which is "lossy."

To upload a JPEG for a particular website, I would look for its guidelines. If these don't specify a maximum dimension—height or width—then I would look for good pix on the site and right-click for Properties. Then I would make my JPEG fit within those limits. If you find, say, 300 pixels to be the maximum height and you send a pic that's 400 pixels tall, then it will be compressed by somebody/something else, and not by you.
 LW2008
Msg: 29
Photography
Posted: 3/29/2008 8:07:21 PM
I've been taking photos for years, but had always been more into graphics than photography. Then I bought the Cannon S3, a low-end DSLR. Wow! I loved the freedom from film, & the quality was outstanding. Now I have both the Rebel XT & XTI. I shoot pretty much everything...weddings, portraits, landscapes, even E-Bay items. I have a green-screen setup, as well.
 Zeppolino
Msg: 30
Photography
Posted: 3/30/2008 3:03:46 PM
Up until the invention of affordable, photo-quality digital cameras and printers, I primarily used my photograps in the Printmaking world, Photo-silkscreens, Photo-lithograhy, Photo-intaglio.
Also did some work with Non-silver photography, cyanotypes and gum bichromate prints. If you've never tried these I urge you to give it a go. What's not to like about a print you develop in water?

The Digital realm rocked my world. Each year I would buy a larger and more advanced camera. I wrote up a course at the college I was teaching at, and eventually built it into a state of the art MAC lab with 60 students per year. It's a great course for non-art majors, because they have so many tools to tweak and improve their technical work. And being able to take limitless frames gives them a much better chance of arriving at something intriguing.
 Autumn Marie
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 3/31/2008 12:08:24 PM
kornbluth: Well sh*t. Cut myself off. Digital is easy until you post a pic on the 'Net and it's turned into a pud-pie, or see it on another monitor as a pixellated mess. Bitmaps get compressed, sharpened, expanded and otherwise distorted once they're out of your hands. So there's a lot to learn about prepping individual pix for specific venues.

Thank you so much for commenting, and pointing that out.
I refrained from my own, which was a good thing on my part, since I was slightly offended by "The "problem" with digital photo art is that it is just too easy -- " statement.
 Leib ben Yitshak
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 4/3/2008 8:23:41 PM
When my slides started fading and getting mold I scanned them into my computer. Being somewhat of a programmer, I created annotations for the important ones - those of the wife, children and the rest of the family and friends.
Hopefully, my children will look at them when they are my age and say that dad was really smart to do all this.
 Anoia
Msg: 33
Photography
Posted: 6/2/2008 9:48:59 PM
I think I'm in love with this thread. I have got so much good advice just from reading.

I'm a newbie at the photography thing, but I seem to have an eye for it. I just use a little Canon Powershot, but it has taken some wonderful photos.

With the photographs I have taken, an old high school chum saw them and decided she had to have me do her wedding.

Butterflies. I am not a professional. :P

Eventually I hope to get a DSLR and learn everything about the lenses and processing.
 that sam i am
Msg: 34
Photography
Posted: 6/3/2008 1:56:43 AM

Eventually I hope to get a DSLR and learn everything about the lenses and processing.

If you get a dSLR, you'll never learn a thing about processing *LOL*
 silentassumptions
Msg: 35
Photography
Posted: 6/3/2008 2:24:02 PM
If your photography is anywhere as bad as your profile picture, you have no hope =)
 urbanagain
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 6/3/2008 6:48:15 PM
I am a lover of photography also, photoshop has changed everything though..
feel free to check out my stuff and leave comments
http://www.myspace.com/urbanagain
 expat57
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 6/4/2008 8:13:00 AM
My late husband taught photography at the college level for 34 years, founded the program at the school he taught at. He was a social documentary, darkroom photographer specializing in urban subcultures. I've great respect for photographers who step outside their kids, pets, etc for subject matter and create something that will be of historical value in 150 years.

I carry an olympus digital and make pictures for personal pleasure. I just don't have the eye for excellence in telling the story in one frame that some do.
 Anoia
Msg: 38
Photography
Posted: 6/7/2008 10:25:50 PM
Of COURSE I would.

Post processing. :-P
 elisa in the city
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 7/18/2008 3:46:28 PM
I am...I have become obsessed by it in recent years, even moreso in the last year, as I finally conquered an old manual film SLR, and now a dSLR...which I have already shot about 15k frames, eeks!

On website I made(which is really only a home page with links to my flickr, and an about me section) I talk about what I like to shoot...and what it boils down to, is that I am looking for that something that grabs me...I love shooting people that are performing...concerts, parades, etc...there is passion there that grabs you.

That is the key I think in photography, even just as a hobby...to find out what speaks to you...the composition of subjects that pull you, then becomes more interesting...

That and I have a excessive clicker finger......
 dg1973
Msg: 40
Photography
Posted: 7/21/2008 10:02:44 AM
Hi OP,

Yes, photography has always been an interest of mine, however I have never turned it into a professional venture. I've most recently been working with scenery shots and spent time in Florida this year attempting to capture beach picutes that are outside the "normal". Just working with different lighting and different angles.

What are some of the examples of boundaries that you've worked on pushing?
 vtwordweaver
Msg: 41
Photography
Posted: 7/24/2008 4:37:16 PM
I'm going for my MFA in photography and writing. I love using my macro lens and looking for design, detail, color, patterns etc. I'd like to go pro one day but dislike portrait photography so I don't know. Guess I'll just have to settle on being an artist!
 r0natello
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 8/9/2008 9:14:20 PM
I'm an amateur at it. My main interest in photography is scenery and animals. I purchased a DSLR (Canon Rebel XSi) back a while ago and I'm still learning how to use it. It's a change from my old point and shoot camera. What I really like about DSLR's is that you can change lenses to suit your needs. Until I really learn how to work that camera, I won't splurge on some nice L lenses (but I would really like to! ). I also like the flexibility of setting shutter speed / aperture and of course, the "bulb" setting for nice nighttime shots of stars, lightning, and whatnot.
Have any of you experimented with HDR (High Dynamic Range) images?
 elisa in the city
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 8/18/2008 3:37:17 PM
I have not done HDR...I think there are software programs that can help you along with it...that and a tripod, so you can take a series of same compositional photos at a rapid(or not) series of settings...

On learning...I have only had my XTi since January, but have found that practice is my best teacher. I have recently signed up to volunteer shoot several events, and that has taught me a lot, and also basically been a motivator with the assignment(s) aspect.

I am not one that likes classes/school, but if it's a committment like a job/volunteer work, I do it!

That said, I might look into some formal training in the future, but for now, feel like practical shooting is pushing me down the learning path pretty well.
 Vintage Princess
Msg: 44
Photography
Posted: 8/18/2008 9:40:55 PM
I love cameras.
The idea that a moment can be captured is such a crazy thought to me, what a perfect invention. A lot of time i'll take a picture as refrence for a sketch, a painting or a poem for later....its a great tool.
 ssyzygystt
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 8/20/2008 8:51:07 AM
I've been interested in photography since junior high school where I learned to develop black and white (35 years ago or so). Since then I've shot 35mm, medium to large format Polaroid (though the film will soon be unavailable), digital and large format film. I do large format film (4x5) with a Speed Graphic that has some family history and a Graphic View camera. I've shot weddings that I got paid for and weddings that I didn't get paid for. I mostly like shooting landscapes, still lifes, nature and am interested in doing female figure studies but lack the modeling talent and an understanding GF. I don't see the commercial value of my work as I'm not a great salesman. I've always got a camera handy but the thought of freelance makes me think of all of the newspapers locally that print "Submitted" instead of giving you a byline if you're not on their staff. So I shoot what interests me and maybe when I'm dead it'll be worth something to who winds up with it.
 cowboy714
Msg: 46
Photography
Posted: 8/21/2008 11:10:07 AM
I have just started to take photos. And the thing that got me started was digital, yes it might look easy to somepeople but it still your eye, lighting the shot and what turns you on. And for me I tend to take a lot of shots of the same thing some black and white, angles you name it, and I could never pay for all of the shots that just don't come out.
 julianjenkins
Msg: 47
Photography
Posted: 11/24/2008 9:59:45 AM
Photography for me is more then just point and click....Its the one job that i can honestly say i enjoy doing....(Ok there was that time with the teenager and the pet rat). I seen a comment that Said "what make a Pro Photographer?" What makes a pro photographer is sooooo much more then point and shoot. It takes time, skill and know how in order to get your point across. From Iso to lighting being able to control the outcome is professional....Ok im done

::Sits Back in the Corner::
 eman27
Msg: 48
Photography
Posted: 11/25/2008 6:15:43 PM
i also just got into photography. if you're looking into this as more than just a hobby, i would suggest that you get a better camera. but u should definitely get a DSlR camera. the canon XSI is a good camera to start off with. its not TOO expensive (depending on ur budget) and its very good for the price.
 Windswept
Msg: 49
Photography
Posted: 11/28/2008 5:49:55 AM
While I love the digital camera, find I do miss the process of putting my hands in and out of the water waiting for an image to appear before my eyes. Actually shot some 35 mm black and whites a week or two ago of my grandsons and plan on pulling the trays out SOON! Don't have an actual darkroom, so one of the bathrooms serves the purpose - ha! Something else I think I have missed since using the digital camera is believe it or not the viewfinder. LOL The digital camera lets you hold it away from you and view through a screen - I'm finding my "eye" for a good shot is different. I used to see things in "frames" even when I didn't have a camera in my hands. Not so sure I do that so much anymore. Hmm. I think actually that made me a better person at the time, sometimes seeing things that others perhaps didn't see. Hmmm.
 irish tour
Msg: 50
Photography
Posted: 11/28/2008 3:51:40 PM
I am a sports photographer, and now-a-days the art of photography is VERY easy. The cameras are so fast, and they are so good. If you want to take sports images a good camera would be the Canon40D, not too bad....

(I take Tennis, Snooker, Ice Hockey images) and some art, TV/Film pics...
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Photography