Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RoxanneR
Msg: 89
PhotographyPage 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I don't have digital. I have a couple of older 35mm Minoltas, along with a bunch of lenses that I got at a pawn shop. I love photography, and since my cataract surgery last year, I can see much better to focus!
 Ultra_Hottie
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 1/14/2010 11:42:42 PM
I am a very avid photographer. I love to take pictures of anything. Babies are my favorite. Every summer I go down to Red Deer City Hall to take pictures of the new flowers in the garden.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 91
Photography
Posted: 1/19/2010 7:11:15 AM
QUIT POSTING LINKS TO YOUR WORK IN THIS THREAD ! NOT ALLOWED!

Cowboy
 incendiarylvr
Msg: 92
Photography
Posted: 1/22/2010 10:11:30 PM
I am a professional photographer. I mainly shoot weddings,but every now and then shoot concerts. I work with a Canon 50d...she's my baby. :)
 chris_in_SB
Msg: 93
Photography
Posted: 1/23/2010 3:19:41 AM
Its cause our eyes are amazing. Average photo film can record up to 5 stops(light intensity increment) and our eyes see over 12!! We see so many more frequencies of light whether in a deep shadow or a fullmoon.

There isn't a camera in the world that can replicate or reproduce what we see!!!
 chris_in_SB
Msg: 94
Photography
Posted: 1/23/2010 3:35:57 AM
Whoopdedoop:
Where u teach and how did u go from photog to teacher?(how much required schooling)
Incendiary: what's ur fav setup? Use flash? Fav lenses?

Personally I'm a 15mm whore lol
 K3VLAR
Msg: 95
Photography
Posted: 1/23/2010 9:24:32 AM
I do photography as a hobby!!
The photography market is so over-saturated, because there are so many dummies out there who think they are pro cuz they take macro shots of flowers.
With todays technology of digital camera's, it will be hard for any serious PRO to compete with the average dummy and their SLR they bought at Wal Mart
 1 shaman
Msg: 96
Photography
Posted: 1/28/2010 11:38:01 AM
You have to love the Canon cameras. I gave up my 30D to my son almost a year ago. I will replace it with a Canon EOS-7D. I do Landscapes & Wildlife Photography. I live outside of Jasper Park Alberta Camada. The photography here is outstanding I must say.
 candylady615
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 1/31/2010 7:36:05 AM
I have the canon powershot with 20 zoom! A wonderful camera. Can do many tricks on the camera itself! I love photography, a great hobby! I started another thread not knowing that this was here! Feel free to check my profile I have several photos there! Have a great shoot where ever you are!
Mary
 Cornbreadxd
Msg: 98
Photography
Posted: 2/4/2010 5:37:10 PM
I use a Nikon d90 myself but I also have an old school Canon AE-1, I love digital, film is nice but I've gotten so use to reviewing shots I can't go back and it simplifies speedlight usage.
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 99
Photography
Posted: 3/17/2010 1:44:37 AM
I wonder what the guys who are in film processing are going to do for a living. All the pros I see are using high end digital cameras. I don't know anyone who uses film any more.
 Tayfire
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 3/17/2010 5:43:12 AM
Yes apart from holiday photos im a member of the fire brigade society and visit different fire services in scotland 3 times a year and photograph appliances but theres vists from march to september all over britain. I bought myself a DSLR a Samsung GX 10 in 2007. The first visit in scotland is on April the 10th at Strathclyde fire@rescue at Hamilton, Cumbernauld and other places etc. Theres about 900 members in britain.
 ilovehistory
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 3/20/2010 11:47:13 AM

I wonder what the guys who are in film processing are going to do for a living. All the pros I see are using high end digital cameras. I don't know anyone who uses film any more.

Film is mostly used by artists rather than commercial photographers or portrait/wedding photographers. I shoot 200-300 rolls of film a year, which I process myself. Most of the decent photo labs have died off.
 Falcon91
Msg: 102
Photography
Posted: 11/10/2011 11:45:27 PM
Since I'm not going to make a new thread for fear of bannishment >.>

I do photography, since april I've sold 487 dollars worth of landscape photography.

I am just getting into portraits and I'm making my own lighting rigs since I don't have a lot of money to blow on lighting equipment. Any suggestions?

I have a Sony A-330 with the 18-55mm DT lens f/3.5-5.6
 ilovehistory
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 11/11/2011 12:29:53 AM

Since I'm not going to make a new thread for fear of bannishment >.>

I do photography, since april I've sold 487 dollars worth of landscape photography.

I am just getting into portraits and I'm making my own lighting rigs since I don't have a lot of money to blow on lighting equipment. Any suggestions?

I have a Sony A-330 with the 18-55mm DT lens f/3.5-5.6

The only cheap lighting is to use incandescent or hologen floodlights. Even if you buy a system like this (they're called photofloods or hot-lights) at a camera store, they're cheap. Problem is, as the name implies, they put out a LOT of heat and make your subjects sweat profusely. You need strobes, and you need at least 3 of them for most studio work at $500 or so EACH. If that sounds expensive, remember that your competition DOES have them. I have two complete sets, in case I have one fail on a shoot. That's happened, one strobe head exploded on a wedding shoot once! I unplugged it, put one of my backup units on the lightstand and kept shooting!
 Falcon91
Msg: 104
Photography
Posted: 11/11/2011 5:17:47 PM

The only cheap lighting is to use incandescent or hologen floodlights.

I have a 50 watt halogen...the thing works for ambient shots which is great for certain things.

Even if you buy a system like this (they're called photofloods or hot-lights) at a camera store, they're cheap.

I was looking at two spot lights, they take 500 watt lights.

You need strobes, and you need at least 3 of them for most studio work at $500 or so EACH. If that sounds expensive, remember that your competition DOES have them. I have two complete sets, in case I have one fail on a shoot. That's happened, one strobe head exploded on a wedding shoot once! I unplugged it, put one of my backup units on the lightstand and kept shooting!

Ya i realize how much the price is, I've been doing my shots in good lighting thank god. I am hoping to get some light stands and that after I sell some photo's off to the chamber of commerce here.

So another question since I'm right full of them.

What manual flashes would you recommend? I know they're cheap so I'm wanting to get a few of them with some tripods and etc...so that I can hook them up for senior portraits.
 ilovehistory
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 11/11/2011 5:43:41 PM
Ya i realize how much the price is, I've been doing my shots in good lighting thank god. I am hoping to get some light stands and that after I sell some photo's off to the chamber of commerce here.

So another question since I'm right full of them.

What manual flashes would you recommend? I know they're cheap so I'm wanting to get a few of them with some tripods and etc...so that I can hook them up for senior portraits.

If you want to buy studio strobes that go on lightstands, I'd go for either PhotoGenic Powerlight 1250 strobes or Alienbees B1600 strobes.

http://tinyurl.com/powerlight1250

http://www.paulcbuff.com/b1600.php

I have the Photogenic, but the Alienbees are good too. Both systems are American Made and relatively inexpensive for studio flashes. Both companies offer cheaper models, but they're less powerful and once you put on an umbrella or softbox to diffuse the light, the cheaper ones may not put out enough light. Lower-powered ones are fine for individual portraits but not for group portraits. The ones I recommended can be turned down to lower power when needed.

If you are looking for inexpensive shoe-mount flashes that you can buy several of and stick on tripods to use till you can afford a regular studio strobe system, I'd recommend the Vivitar 285. They're cheap, manual, powerful for their size, and very reliable. I have one I have had for 20 years. They've been made since the early 1970s and are still in production. Get new ones, not used ones. Old ones are reliable, but several yrs ago, they changed the design slightly because the flash-trigger voltage of the old ones was too high for modern electronic cameras, and could damage newer cameras like your digital camera. The newer 285 version is safe for your camera and you connect them to a sync cord to your camera for off-camera use. They cost $87 each.

http://tinyurl.com/vivitar285
 christyis4real
Msg: 106
Photography
Posted: 11/11/2011 9:01:46 PM
I'm a wannabe photographer lol.

Seriously though...photography is my passion and it makes me happy. I hope to one day move on up in the camera department.

Have a few pics in my profile. Nothing spectacular..just a hobby
 Falcon91
Msg: 107
Photography
Posted: 11/13/2011 1:41:42 PM
@ilovehistory

have you checked this thing out?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/659928-REG/Impact_Strobros_Portrait_Kit.html

I looked at them, and I'll have to think about it...money is tight at the moment and prints aren't selling.
 ilovehistory
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 11/13/2011 4:44:01 PM

have you checked this thing out?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/659928-REG/Impact_Strobros_Portrait_Kit.html

I looked at them, and I'll have to think about it...money is tight at the moment and prints aren't selling.

Problem with that stuff is that the reflector they're selling doesn't soften light much at all. They call it a 'beauty dish', but beauty dishes are generally 2-3 feet in diameter, because smaller reflectors give harsh light. I usually shoot my strobes through 3x4 foot softboxes to get that soft windowlight look. My Photogenic strobes came standard with little 9 inch reflectors, which are bigger than the ones that kit has, and they're really harsh.

You'd be better off getting umbrellas. There are inexpensive adapters you can buy that attach to the top of a tripod and which have a holder for the umbrella and a shoe for your flash. Umbrellas are cheap, $20 or so each (don't buy expensive ones, they are not better than cheap ones). I think the adapter to hold the umbrella is maybe $20 also.

At the most basic, you really need two flashes and an umbrella for each (30 inch works fine). One for the main light, one for the fill light (the fill light keeps the shadows from going too dark). A third light is nice to put a bright spot on the background, but is not required. I wouldn't bother using a hairlight until you can afford studio strobes, because shoe-mount flashes don't have modeling lights that show you how the light falls, they're hard to aim accurately enough to use for hair-lights (typically aimed through a snoot like the kit you asked about comes with).
 Falcon91
Msg: 109
Photography
Posted: 11/25/2011 1:45:27 PM
@ilovehistory

Ok I'm going to be shooting tomorrow night at an event in a building (I have no external flashes money went tight this month). So camera flash should be sufficient depending on my WB correct?

Camera is the Sony A-330 lens is the 18-55mm DT lens f/3.5-5.6
 ilovehistory
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 11/25/2011 5:41:53 PM

@ilovehistory

Ok I'm going to be shooting tomorrow night at an event in a building (I have no external flashes money went tight this month). So camera flash should be sufficient depending on my WB correct?

Camera is the Sony A-330 lens is the 18-55mm DT lens f/3.5-5.6

Are you using the little flash built into the camera, or do you have a flash in the hot shoe? Either will work, but be aware that the built-in flashes are usually not very strong, so they don't work well if the subject is far from the camera.

The fancy multi-flash setups are really only useful for portraits of people in front of a fixed background. The stuff isn't easily moved around, so if you're doing an event where they want photos of people all around the even doing things, then one flash on the camera is best because its easy to carry about.

If you do have a flash you can mount in the hot shoe, and if it has a tilting and swiveling head, you can bounce the light off the ceiling by tilting the flash head up. This gives VERY natural looking light; you often cannot tell a flash was used! The building you do it in needs to have relatively low ceilings (10 feet or under) because light from a flash gets dimmer with the distance it has to travel, and with high ceilings, the light will be too dim by the time it bounces back to the subject. The ceiling needs to be white too, colored ceilings will actually color the light as it bounces from the colored surface, making your picture look like it has a color cast!

Flash pointed direct at the subject, like you get with the built-in flash, tends to look harsh and unnatural, but it'll work if its all you have to start with.
 Falcon91
Msg: 111
Photography
Posted: 11/26/2011 11:06:31 AM
Photoshop is good for softening skin tones if needed :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/605930-REG/Bower_SFD926S_SFD926S_Digital_Shoe_Mount.html

That's the flash I'm looking at there is a diffuser on there it's 14 bucks. So currently I'm looking at 135 approx for my total order it's a good starter flash, and it would do me good. One thing I am thinking of doing is saving up 10 grand (by some miracle) and going off to a warzone to do photography.
 ilovehistory
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Photography
Posted: 11/26/2011 3:00:44 PM

Photoshop is good for softening skin tones if needed :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/605930-REG/Bower_SFD926S_SFD926S_Digital_Shoe_Mount.html

That's the flash I'm looking at there is a diffuser on there it's 14 bucks. So currently I'm looking at 135 approx for my total order it's a good starter flash, and it would do me good. One thing I am thinking of doing is saving up 10 grand (by some miracle) and going off to a warzone to do photography.

Photoshop can't fix the ugly harsh light you get by pointing a flash directly at the subject. Sorry, it won't. When you get your new flash, try it. Shoot a portrait with the flash directly at the subject and one with it bounced off the ceiling. You'll see.

Don't even think about doing war photography till you learn to be a photographer. You'll get yourself killed. You have to be able to operate your camera as an extension of your body, without thinking about what knob to turn or what button to press. You spend time on a battlefield doing that and you'll be too busy screwing with your gear to see the soldier pointing his Kalashnikov at you.
 Falcon91
Msg: 113
Photography
Posted: 11/26/2011 3:07:23 PM
The last part....you underestimate my SA, former military recruit. Anyways.

I've softened the lighting within a picture in photoshop before, your right you can't get everything done but alas that's not what we were talking about.

The flash that I posted there, what do you think of it? I think it's a good starter, I'm just looking for a few opinions before I actually purchase.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >