Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
Jealous of Couples?Page 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I agree with those that stipulated "envious".

Although I am content with my life, when I see a couple stop in the middle of a store or street to hug or kiss one another, I think first, "how happy they are together " and, "how sweet", but reflect on my own life. It isn't jealousy that we feel per se, I believe it is "wishful thinking" on our parts. Perhaps I clarified the scentiments of most here.

***Seeing an elderly couple still walking together (or hobbling together slowly) is still beautiful and reminds me of my grandparents that were married for 63 years. G-d bless them. They were lucky to have found one another and to have endured for such a long-term marriage happily and to set an example for others to follow suit.
 Mirage111
Msg: 9
Jealous of Couples?
Posted: 3/16/2008 8:44:59 PM
No Im quite frankly glad to see it.
 Mr Bain
Msg: 10
Jealous of Couples?
Posted: 3/16/2008 9:05:19 PM
One word answer: No
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 11
Jealous of Couples?
Posted: 3/16/2008 9:47:22 PM
Yes, I get seriously jealous. Not of them, in particular, but the situation. Am I not lovable, too?? And when I am with someone and happy, when I see two people together, I just smile and feel happy. UGH.
 Mr Bain
Msg: 12
Jealous of Couples?
Posted: 3/16/2008 10:24:56 PM
As a guy, I'm not really sure what it means for me to be jealous of a "couple".

I can certainly understand what it means to be jealous of the guy in the relationship if he's with a girl that I'd like to score with.

But, the notion that I am somehow jealous of both of them is a bit odd and actually pretty funny.
 labyrinths end
Msg: 14
Jealous of Couples?
Posted: 3/17/2008 2:57:01 AM
I LOVE when i see couples ! I almost stalk them! It is so nice to see people really getting on with each other. I like it when they are obviously comfortable and talking with each other - maybe have a couple of kids and i wonder if theyre an old established couple or a blended one
what pains me is when i see couples fighting or sulking in the queues at the stores

nothing nicer than an old couple holding hands -thats what im going to get me - someone to mourn- well for one day at least because im sure to follow my true love into the grave the very next day!
 Mr Bain
Msg: 15
Jealous of Couples?
Posted: 3/17/2008 10:53:39 AM
I think its kind of creepy and sinister to stalk couples.

Granted, I'm not pure, but I don't do that.
 tdimber
Msg: 18
Jealous of Couples?
Posted: 4/15/2008 10:24:54 PM
i do miss that chemistry /electricity ....you are right its more juat a lil sadness more than anything
 WanderingRain
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Jealous of Couples?
Posted: 12/21/2008 12:20:04 AM
I can relate to this.
Yep, felt not jealous or envious... As if their being together reminded me of my current state of affairs.
This was some years ago though and I finally got over the habit one day as I did this:
I went to the mall for no apparent reason than just to walk... Then as I saw couples, I would not allow the jealousy in my thoughts. Instead, I secretly wish them well and I actually smile in their general direction. I did this with everyone -- even people who usually got my ire for public displays of affection. I wished them all well and happiness...

And you know what happened? I felt happier as a result.
From then on, I would do that and it doesn't bother me anymore. Of course, what was said here also may be true: that it can all be a facade. Or worse, you may actually be seeing a spouse cheating right in front of you.

But such assumptions, I rarely make. I just wish them well. I once had what they have so I reckon I'll be given that again one day. It's no biggie now.
Meantime, nothing assuages a lonely heart than volunteering your time --especially to the less fortunate. It gets you thinking about how lucky you actually are -- being single notwithstanding...

Hope that helps.
 Cogie36
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Jealous of Couples?
Posted: 2/19/2009 3:08:03 PM
I'm not jealous of couples but I do think ..... how great would it be to find that one person to fall in love with and spend the rest of your life happy together........I say congratulations to the ones that are walking down that path together.....
 ladyc4
Msg: 23
Jealous of Couples?
Posted: 2/19/2009 3:42:06 PM

Nope .. I don't have a jealous bone in my body, not for couples or otherwise.

Although .. I am starting to wonder if wicked is gonna share those muffins!!

Same here...guess I'll tooter off and get a couple of biscuits, check on my sick kitty, and if all seems well, then tooter off to enjoy the company of other people and good music.
Cindy O
 Landra
Msg: 24
Jealous of Couples?
Posted: 2/19/2009 3:49:58 PM
I'm not jealous of other people. I'm happy with my life.
No one is perfect and neither is their relationship.
They found each other- great.
Though lately I've seen a lot of insta-couples break up after 6-7 months so perhaps I'm skeptical.

I think I'm more envious of couples who have truly made it work after 20+ years of marriage and raising kids.
 Ron9
Msg: 25
Jealous of Couples?
Posted: 2/19/2009 8:32:26 PM
I thought I already said this but - I don’t see it.

I have no idea why but - I have a soft spot for younger sincere people (male or female - say like under 30). Maybe because I have two daughters (step daughters) just turned 28 and almost 30. Both married to good guys.

When I see a young couple - esp if they are being nice to each other .....

I just smile internally and - wish them well.

---------

When I see a couple that are being inconsiderate of one another ....... ugg.
 parklabrea
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Jealous of Couples?
Posted: 2/20/2009 10:51:12 PM
I find that couples are often jealous of me. I get along well on my own and don't have disagreements, certainly not in public. I'm still holding my hand after 24 years (which makes it very hard to open bottles) and hope to stay together for another 20 years. Good communication and very powerful stimulants have brought me to this point. Envy me if you must.
 Puppydog54
Msg: 28
Jealous of Couples?
Posted: 2/21/2009 7:46:42 AM
I'm not sure "jealous" is the word I'd use. But yes, sometimes when I'm lonely, seeing happy couples together seems to bring home the longing to have someone special, and makes me realize again what is missing in my life.
 tam879
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Jealous of Couples?
Posted: 2/21/2009 9:39:27 PM
I feel that way when I go shopping sometimes and see couples. I use to be a couple ,going shopping and seeing single people. I felt like I had the world in my hands when I had someone in my life.
I remember I never felt jealous that way before I had a relationship. I`d go shopping and nothing bothered me at all when seeing couples. I hope to be in a relationship someday, but with my new pup I ain`t go to worry about that for sometime.
 GoneSailinBabe
Msg: 31
Jealous of Couples?
Posted: 2/21/2009 10:15:01 PM
Uhm I think I answered this question last Spring didn't I?
 farscapeprincess
Msg: 34
Jealous of Couples?
Posted: 12/21/2009 9:10:51 AM
I'll admit that I'm envious of couples whether they are in love or maybe just in lust. I agree that sometimes looks can be deceiving when you see couples. But I don't think a couple who are on their way to divorce would be out holding hands and displaying a lot of PDA. So the ones we see are obviously in love and love being close to one another.

I don't think it's a coincidence that this topic gets dragged out of mothballs at this time of year. The holidays do reinforce the feeling of loneliness...at least it does for me which is why if I had a time machine I'd fast forward to January 1st 2010.
 Virgo_Blue
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Jealous of Couples?
Posted: 12/21/2009 10:10:16 PM
jealous? no.

envy? yes.

both my causen and my best friend are in long term relationships, it sucks because they always ask me to hang out, so most of the time that i'm with them i end up being the 5'th(YES the 5'th)wheel when we all go out places like a night clube,the mall, or an amusment park, i dislike being a 5'th wheel, but i'm not going to all of a sudden make up excuses not to hang out with my two closest friends just because they have girlfriends.

but yea i do somewhat envy them because both the couples look so happy together while i'm still single, but there are ways not to think about it.

just keep yourself busy with other things, right now i'm working out trying to get that nice lean "surfer body" LOL. if you do things that will make you feel better about yourself, thus making you feel more attractive, you will start to lose the envy feeling and you won't think about being single so much. and before you know it you'll find yourself talking to more girls and who knows, you make hit a home run with one of them.
 Virgo_Blue
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Jealous of Couples?
Posted: 12/21/2009 10:21:53 PM
but yea, like i said, do anything to keep yourself busy, idle hands and an idle mind are the devils playground, and sitting around thinking about how lonely or single you are causes stress, and stress can lead to even more problems, like depression, but only if you let the thought of being single affect you in such a manner, but none the less, nobody needs sh*t like the thought of being sinlge or lonely affect them in such a manner, unless you truly have difficulty in holding down a relationship...
 farscapeprincess
Msg: 37
Jealous of Couples?
Posted: 12/22/2009 10:45:01 AM
Perhaps it's just a matter of the grass is always greener on the other side that makes us envious when we see truly happy couples. Of course, it's possible to make ones self happy while waiting for that special person to come along. The reason why we're here on POF is to find someone. Having lots or a few friends is great. We can laugh and hang out with our friends, but at the end of the day, they don't take the place of that one special person. I must be a true masochist because I went to the VERY place where couples abound, they were every where which is Maui. I knew what I was getting into and don't regret it. It was certainly a different vacation experience when you go alone.
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Jealous of Couples?
Posted: 1/15/2010 3:27:16 PM
I used to be envious of couples who seemed to be lucky in love. It was good to see happy couples though because it gives you hope but at the same time you can't help but be a little jealous. Now I am one of those couples.lol

I mean really, shouldn't that give us all hope that there are couples who can and do make it work?

One of the more beautiful things to see is an elderly couple who are still very much in love with each other.

I agree, it seems so rare for a couple to stay in love and is so sweet to see.
 read2009me
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Jealous of Couples?
Posted: 1/16/2010 9:45:44 PM
Nice_catch77- For me,jealous is not the emotion I would use to describe that feeling. When I see two people so happy that they seem to be in their own world, I feel longing. Everyone longs to have that special someone that completes them. The one that takes your breath away. The one that challenges you to be better, but loves you for who you are. Please keep in mind that your other half is out there. You will know it when you see her. You will get a feeling that you have met before, but you can't place from where. And then, you will be the one that is envied. Good luck in your search.
 *buzz*
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Jealous of Couples?
Posted: 1/17/2010 12:26:41 PM
Not an ounce of jealousy; au contraire actually. Seeing happy couples reinforces belief in me that there is a silver lining on horizon and maybe one a shiny star will shine on me too.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >