Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > plenty of fish getting bad rep.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 virgogidget
Msg: 17
view profile
History
plenty of fish getting bad rep.Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
This is a good site compared to others.
 BikerBiker53
Msg: 18
view profile
History
plenty of fish getting bad rep.
Posted: 3/28/2008 10:13:31 AM

The only thing I have found bad about POF is that a lot of men are on here who play single who are in fact married.

Well,....Ponder on that for a moment,..and then realize thats exactly the way it is EVERYWHERE,...LOL

POF is exactly what,.."YOU",..make it.

"YOU",..have the choice of listing your preference of what your looking for,......

Very Few people list the preference as ,..."Intimate Encounter",........

BUT,.....You can,.....if thats what your looking for,........

So,...."YES",....POF,... is a,....." SWINGERS",......Site,........too.

If thats what you want.

And,....its also a nice place to make "Friends",..or an ,.."Activity Partner",......

So,...All in All,...it has a little something for everyone.

Includeing,...."YOU",...
 designingwoman
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2008 2:20:57 PM
I like POF because I can make friends with people from all over (I'm not looking for a dating relationship at this time but I am always open to meeting new people and to friendships with both men and women) and the Forums are very enjoyable. And you can't beat the price!

I don't even bother with any of the "pay" sites. I'd rather spend that money on chocolate
 lasser2
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/2/2008 3:39:50 PM
PISCESCODA ..... after reading your profile and essay I have come to the conclusion that you are a....total "B"--ch"..... and I love it ..... .....

"Oh ! shame!...what shame!! for the woman who has to "pay to get laid "...

you are a beautiful lady and it will be some time before you have to worry about poking your eyes out......put steel patches over them beautiful eyes of yours just in case......
 foreversnowwhite
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/3/2008 4:20:37 PM
I would imagine the POF is just like any other place, whether it be online or in real life. You have your general mix of people. People looking for: that quick hook-up, someone just to talk to, fun and companionship, dates, friendship, something more serious, someone to marry, someone to scam, and then there are your general pervs that lurk everywhere you go, looking for immorality (and they aren't tagged, they often look normal and might even be the local pastor or teacher, eww ), the ones I like to call your "Bottom of the Barrel Fish". What can you say. People are people no matter what the medium through which you meet. It looks to me like there is a wide array of people on here, be they good or bad.

I guess there are many reasons why someone would want to propagate the myth that this site is for those seeking sex. Perhaps that person had a bad experience on here. Or maybe the person wants to attract attention to this site for some personal reason, IE to create more fish to troll, or maybe it's a person that knows the guy that started the site and thinks this will boost it's popularity (not the fault of guy that created the site, no one can be held accountable for someone's poor actions) and possibly it was done simply to destroy the site or creator's reputation. Bad DJ, bad, bad, very bad.
 kemetian09
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/5/2008 6:46:50 PM
I find that POF is a very good site. It is as good if not better than some of the pay sites. The people that I have chatted with on here are down to earth, real people. I imagine those who are solely looking for a sex hook up on here can find it. One can also find nice friends and people to chat with on this site. If I had to grade POF, I'd give it an A.
The forums on here are excellent. Keep up the good work, POF!
 Super_Eve
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/7/2010 12:25:44 AM

The POF forums are just dandy...

where does that Dj get off suggesting that this is a "dating site" anyway?

Nice spin.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/7/2010 12:33:05 AM
A sex site ?!?! you gotta be kidding. Hell most of the women wont even answer their mail. or is that what settles for sex these days ?
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/7/2010 4:22:43 PM

I have been hearing from a few different people lately that rumors have been started saying that POF is a Sex site. By this I mean that people have told me that a well-known Connecticut DJ has been saying on the air that if you are looking for a dating website for a quick hook-up for sex, then go to POF.

why is that a "bad" rep specifically?

I mean if both parties are looking for sex, and they hook up for it, isn't that a 'good' thing?

is sex "bad"? is this the Victorian era? are we all Puritans?

are we all judgmental? does consensual sex "hurt" anyone?

usually it is very pleasurable to both parties -or at least it can be at its best!
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 26
Posted: 7/7/2010 6:43:53 PM

I know of some men that do this on pof,and my self have look...

Are you talking about looking for sex, or poor grammar?

...but afther reading all the reviews and so many are just bad. I have to say more truth to it.

That makes about as much sense as calling up the local weather man to find out what it is like out side as apposed to going outside yourself.

Do you understand that someone is not gong to go out of their way to say yep it was ok.

No, only someone that is not happy for what ever reason feels the need to blame a web site for their own failures is goign to post a negative review.

Then you must take into account bogus claims from ex-members who are jaded for some reason posting completely made up stuff.

So from that would you not assume that the number of negative reviews on random sites are going to be full of bad ones?

That should be just simple common sense to understand.
 TX9
Msg: 27
Posted: 7/8/2010 1:11:09 AM
People saying pof is a sex site obviously are close minded because any site can be a sex site. Its how a person uses the site determines what the site is for them. Also if pof was a sex site then no one would be looking to hang out, talk and what not.
 want to travel
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2010 6:07:32 AM
POF asex site, right, it has a section for hook ups, but the vast majority of people are not looking for that
POF rocks, it is a great site!
 valenciacityx
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/8/2010 11:28:32 PM
gonna change the profile to say that I am here only for the games and the hook ups, the booty calls, and dating girls half my age.
Since this is a 'sex' site, might as well just be honest about it !
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2010 9:11:50 AM
I think your DJ got his facts just slightly confused. What he probably MEANT to say was....that POF members who use AOL are searching for nothing but a quickie!!!
 lateā„¢
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/12/2010 9:02:31 PM

Did he honk his Aaaa-rrrruuuu-ggggaaahhhh horn and make some other funny sound effects as he said it?

Excellent clown reference

Or use his extensive background in social trends overlaid with current city-by-city data analysis?

Hmmm... only one person has access to the data, all others have to rely on is the anecdotal aspect of their own experience (of course there are the many and myriad website analytic resources, ...there's a pretty solid consensus there, but why let facts colour this?). One wonders if they really think their approach is that well perfected that the issue of lowest common denominator can be ignored.

In the very least, there must be some credence into some peoples expertise in repetitive operator error.

Or was this something he heard from a drunken friend at his monthly toga party?

Togas do evoke images of ancient philosphers....

My goodness. When DJs become trusted sources for information, CNN and FOX must feel pretty smug about their operations.

"The medium is the message"

- Marshall McLuhan, the other "eminem".
 Bella452
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/10/2012 11:24:22 PM
I wasn't too sure how to navigate this site at the beginning. It's true to the novice, she can easily get taken advantage of by the creeps that lurk everywhere. As women or men we need to weed the good from the bad. What I have not heard of is any long term relationships or marriages resulting from this site. I would love to hear some success stories on here. It might restore some of my faith on here.
 ontario_woman
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2012 4:28:08 AM
There have been a number of success stories here. You can check out the testimonials forum or just listen to the stories of some of the forum regulars who found their SO here and are sticking around for the forums.

There are lots of people here just looking for a ONS, but after a while, you learn how to sort through those to find the ones who are seriously looking for a LTR.
 kari135
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2012 10:10:06 PM
What exactly is a bad rep? There are plenty of sites dedicated to all kinds of sex, straight, bi, group, cross dressing, voyeurism, exhibitionism... you name it, it's out there. POF does have gay/lesbian/intimate encounters, but they aren't the largest part by any means.

What I really don't get are the ones who swear all they want is someone to hang out with - no sex whatsoever - or just want long distance pen pals, but still are too picky to respond. Or if they're looking for a LTR they won't consider meeting anyone who doesn't meet their personal blue print. Do they not realize that - at best - they aren't gong to find anyone at all without dating them first? I have met some neat people online and continue to keep in contact with them, but it's maybe one out of several hundred. And they haven't all been POF'ers, either.
 MondoVman
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 12:50:50 AM
IMO, POF has about a 5% success rate. That's also the generally accepted success rate of AA (Alcoholics Anonymous). I'm probably being too optimistic about POF. Though POF is 100% successful at allowing us to piss, moan and whine with or without our favorite cheese. The same can be said about AA.

Be sure to report back on this or another thread from time to time with any successes you have. thx.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 3:37:40 AM
C'mon, guys and gals, Markus pays people to broadcast that everywhere! He's very savvy about using media.
ED BEAR
 charlie_girl_2
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/12/2012 10:35:14 AM
Not so free anymore.
Gone: Knowing right away if emails were read or deleted
Gone: All profiles (that aren't hidden) being viewable... now, only the ones that don't exclude you. Thus, being able to add them as a favorite so that they can write to you if they chose too, isn't possible now. You can only view the profiles that don't exclude you.

Gone: Knowing who has viewed your profile (this one I will miss but I'm not going to pay for the privilege.)
 Casper66
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 2:33:15 PM
I've been on the site for awhile, mostly for the forums now, but I have met some good people from the site in the past, but I have to admit that it has gotten much harder to meet decent men who are not looking for just "fun" or sending IM/e-mails that are really vulgar and nasty as an initial message. It's gotten so bad over the last year that I've had to increase my mailing restrictions and turn off my chat feature, so I don't get sex requests from 20 somethings. Actually there was a thread that got deleted that showed a forum thread on another site where young men were posting conversations and pics of women coped from POF, trying to get them to sex talk and send nude pics which were then posted online and the guys could comment on. So yes it could be said that POF is getting a bad rep.
 friedar
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 2:58:11 PM
no longer free,you cannot any longer see who has looked at you without paying so I think they need to be challenged about advertising as a free site.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 11:38:55 AM
Frankly, I'd say PoF is getting a bad rep for constantly adding gouges... and it deserves it.

The site now advises that it wants to charge for features to get rid of advertising. Given the many millions that come to the enterprise from advertising, I can't imagine they'd get anywhere near as much from memberships - given that they attracted all the folks who DIDN'T want to pay for social contact. But if they're getting the numbers they want from "upgrades," they don't need people who don't want to pay. If you tell them you'll pay, they will charge you.

I am quite content to have ads on my television shows, and would never spring for Pay TV. Free, universally available TV is a cornerstone of a modern informed democracy.
ED BEAR
 pizzo66
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/13/2012 2:07:23 PM
POF is not a sex site.
its also not a free site.
It has gone from bad to worse this week.
Now that the weather is getting warm, I for one will get out of the house and meet real people the old fashioned way, in person at a local pub.
Poor planning and timing on POF part to change one of the fun features to a pay feature just when the weather warms up and people lose interest in sitting in front of the screen with the hopes of meeting someone. Wont be long before they go under or change it back to all free.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > plenty of fish getting bad rep.