Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 breath~
Msg: 22
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBARPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I think you meant "most murders are committed by a spouse"!
Most people in Canada are murdered by their spouse.

To go by your statement, it would be very unwise to marry in Canada!
Thanks for the giggle.
 Miss W
Msg: 23
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
Posted: 3/25/2008 10:46:08 AM
I have a vague recollection of reading the book a bazillion years ago...but never saw the movie. I also had a girlfriend who thought nothing about going home with someone she just met in bars. She is lucky to be alive today.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 24
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
Posted: 3/25/2008 12:56:54 PM

People who are unhappy with themselves and on a course of self-destruction do not need Internet dating or anything else in particular to hasten their doom. They will find a way to put themselves in danger's way and fail to take measures to protect themselves. So, this scenario certainly isn't unique to the Internet dating, blind dates, or even dating in general.

Funny, the best sum up so far by someone who neither read the book nor saw the movie!

I only read the book. But right during that time period answered an ad in the Saturday Review (best personals, evah!), corresponded for six months, then flew to SF for two weeks. All my friends were goin' nuts because of Goodbar, lol! It wasn't a take romantically, but I had a good time. Bonus was I met a woman on the redeye out who became a very good friend for many years.

itechman63
Msg: 26
view profile
History
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
Posted: 3/26/2008 7:59:23 AM
I just can't stop thinking about peanuts and chocolate.
 PurpleCrayon~
Msg: 27
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
Posted: 3/26/2008 8:35:10 AM
It was deja vu for me to read this topic heading.

I've been told for many years that I am a ringer for Diane Keaton. I use to get kidded about 'looking for Mr. Goodbar'. Now, I'm being told I look like her in the movie 'Something's Gotta Give'. If only I had a Keanu Reeves waiting in the wings.

Saw the Mr. Goodbar movie once and once was enough.

Give me Princess Leia, Hans Solo and light sabers.
 LanSir
Msg: 28
view profile
History
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
Posted: 3/26/2008 9:55:02 AM
ghostwind
Yep, I have a female friend who will date any person on the net who will give her the time of day.
What's her name and phone number?

breath~
I think you meant "most murders are committed by a spouse"!
Most people in Canada are murdered by their spouse.

To go by your statement, it would be very unwise to marry in Canada!
When we say "till death do us part", we really mean it.

Gossip Girl
Give me Princess Leia, Hans Solo and light sabers.
Okay, but I want to watch.
 ALMOSTABLONDE
Msg: 29
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
Posted: 4/23/2011 9:21:14 AM
now it is like "looking for mr/ms online"
same sh!t, just a new locale
 northwoods57
Msg: 30
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
Posted: 4/27/2011 4:58:08 PM
most women on this site, seem to be seeking a goodbar man. Its no different than a girl looking for a mate, there are plenty of bad mates out there, its shopping around, finding someone you are comfortable with.
 OutMind
Msg: 31
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
Posted: 4/28/2011 1:53:53 PM
I've had to deal more with a GOOD SALADBAR. That would be more what people I know are into it since most want to be healthy, want to run some event, want to race bikes, want to then engage in encounters with decadent cuisine.
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 32
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
Posted: 7/18/2012 10:58:13 AM
So many people on here keep telling me they can't meet anyone, ot anyone sane or normal or attractive- what does that say for the rest of us? I think going to a bar at least cuts out all the emails & photoshopped pics, etc.
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 33
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
Posted: 7/18/2012 1:19:38 PM
I'm not real sure what you mean Angel.

So many people here is not everyone here. Same as in the newspaper you tend to hear the bad news on the front page and the good news in the inside of the back page.

I would not come out and announce a great date that I had last night. Nor would I talk about it after the second or third. Why would I when I might have to retract it next week after things didn't work out. I meet sane, normal and attractive all of the time. It just takes a lot more than that to make it work between 2 people. When all the factors come into play it's almost a miracle that people even get together.

Miracles do happen though. We just shouldn't expect them to.

So tell me. What does some people having no luck have to do with the rest of us?

And where does going to a bar fit into this.... ohhhh I get it now. GOODBAR. Been to any good bars lately? Maybe I still don't get it.
 tbicon
Msg: 34
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
Posted: 7/18/2012 1:37:50 PM

So many people on here keep telling me they can't meet anyone, ot anyone sane or normal or attractive

I suspect if people can not meet anyone sane or normal or attractive it is because they are not sane or normal or attractive themselves. Cleary there are a number of misfits on these boards. But there are plenty of normal people too. Normal begets normal. Misfit begets misfit. Now that doesn't mean there will be chemistry between people who meet, but it is a lame excuse to blame lack of success on the people here. If people cannot find people they are attracted too here, or who are attracted to them, that is becuase this board is a microcosm of real life. That's the way it is in the real world also, which is why so many people are on these boards.
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 35
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
Posted: 7/18/2012 1:46:51 PM
Seriously, both men & women who I correspond with say they have a hard time finding a normal, attractive, available person. When they meet abnormal, they do not get into relationships w/ them...
 tbicon
Msg: 36
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
Posted: 7/18/2012 1:48:29 PM
Right Blone Angel, but most people apparently do not get into relationships with "normal" people either. And I think that many people are probably more demanding of what they want than is realistic under the circumstances. When we are younger, desirable people generally are not on the market very long. At our old ages, perhaps it is much harder to find somebody desirable because our standards don't change from when we were younger, but as the vast majority of people age, they simply become less desirable. They carry more baggage, more weight, more health problems etc. Aging is not for the timid.
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 37
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
Posted: 7/18/2012 2:22:25 PM
I believe you BA. I hear the stories too. Maybe it's demographics. I don't have an explanation.

I can tell you this. I know at least 20 to 25 people that I knew IRL previously, that are on POF. I have relatives on POF. The girl who lives across the street is on POF. All of these people are normal, available and some are attractive some of the others, not so much.

Since joining POF 3 years ago I have also met hundreds of people. Mostly from the parties that I host, but also some here and there. Just because I haven't met my match doesn't mean the people weren't nice and/or attractive people. Most of them were.

The point is that normal, available and attractive people do exist. People have the same complaint about meeting people at bars. They make it sound like you don't find quality people in a bar. Yet THEY are in a bar. I go to bars a couple of times a week. I don't drink. I go for league night and a couple of times for practice. I also go when a good band is playing. So not everyone is a drunk at a bar either.

There are those that will waste your time if you allow it. Don't get bogged down with them and you leave yourself open to something good.
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 38
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
Posted: 7/18/2012 2:26:03 PM
Oh, I haven't met someone from online I think since 2007! No I would not get bogged down. I met some men IRL after 2007, not normal or unattractive or too much baggage is not limited to the internet either LOL.
 Spence56
Msg: 39
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
Posted: 7/29/2012 10:20:12 AM
Personally, I try to avoid using some Hollywood impression of reality when it comes to my personal life. Hollywood is always fake, they tell nice stories but they are not real. Even the "real" stories are not real. So besides entertainment, I prefer to ignore anything about life that comes from movies. My experience is much more interesting than theirs.
 missmermaid4u
Msg: 40
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
Posted: 7/29/2012 6:00:41 PM
I like this distinction...".Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully'.."You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here."~ Desiderata
I like that comparison more bc although they kinda go together..love is more of a forever thing ~at least we want it to b
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 41
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
Posted: 7/30/2012 7:09:49 AM
And the horny old broads make it too easy for many men...BUT said men will dump the easy chick for a pickier one...
 Wonder5750
Msg: 42
view profile
History
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
Posted: 7/30/2012 8:15:24 AM
Maybe you all are just too sane? Or your area has that mind control stuff in the water. Or they are hiding the fact that they were abducted by aliens, or they talk to ghosts. Oh wait.. you all aren't all from California ... are ya. hahaha
 HiHeelsLover
Msg: 43
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
Posted: 7/30/2012 9:00:20 AM
The movie was a way of swaying women from having sex out side of a relationship. That was something men did and bad things happen when to women who attempt to be like men. And only women with low self esteem even self hate wish to have sex with random men. It was a movie that fed into the myths about women's sexuality and the social morals of the day. They expected men to sleep around but they were not comfortable with women doing the same.

The thought is that a woman who feels good about herself will fore go sex unless it resembles a fairy tale, white dress and all. BUT women who do not wait until they get this then they are sick and could end up dead. Now where it he movie that speaks on the fact that men who sleep around are sick and need help. What bad things happen to single men sleeping with random women? The movie was to impression upon the viewing and reading public that double standard of the day.
 Lestino
Msg: 44
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
Posted: 7/31/2012 8:06:01 PM
Jeeeeez you all are lame. Products of a dysfunctional society in denial. The movie is a story about alcoholism and drug addiction. The situations, choices and consequences depicted are diseased. Healthy, happy, secure and whole people don't have to worry, don't have to be alone, and don't have to die. If you see yourself in there, well, there is a solution. Good luck.
 meowkatt2012
Msg: 45
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
Posted: 8/3/2012 12:37:43 AM
Something about Richard Gere banging against the pinball machine sticks in my mind mmm
 Beminetonight
Msg: 46
view profile
History
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
Posted: 8/6/2012 5:07:22 PM
When I saw this thread with a recent date I was thinking "Someone must have made the connection with 50 Shades of Grey" but evidently not. (That's just a book at this point, but I'm sure the movie is being made at this very moment.) And what puzzles me is why these horrible stories appeal to women? I'm not saying women are generally wanting to be in sado-masochistic relationships, but it seems as if there's some kind of fantasy out there that has an appeal. I'm just a guy and it seems bizarre to me.
 HiHeelsLover
Msg: 47
LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR
Posted: 8/6/2012 8:02:46 PM
^^^^^^ Totally agree. The idea of reading about sex just does not make sense to me. Try it. But I guess the safe thing to do it read about it. And MR good bar was NOT about drugs it was about what negative things will happen to women who choose to have sex outside a relationship.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >