Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Angela_Amazing
Msg: 29
Is there a limit that you would spend on your pet for surgery??Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Yes, I would spend a months salary to save my cat and even more so to bring him back if it was possible. Still miss him each and every day, and it's been 7 years since he passed away. RIP Tager.
 jojoaus
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Is there a limit that you would spend on your pet for surgery??
Posted: 3/17/2012 10:28:41 PM
When we get a dog I will be getting pet insurance. I will know up front the gap fee so I can be prepared.

I had a pet rat.. Ratatouille. She got sick with a UTI... I took her to the vet, he gave her antibiotics and kept her all day, rehydrating her. He charged me $20

Sadly 10 days ater I had to get her put down as the infection was killing her. I NEVER expected a pet rat to need veterinary intervention. She was a cutie
 asianpeachqTea
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2012 11:05:17 PM
All creatures require good health etc There is no difference in having vet
care for'regular pets'like canines & rodents right down to fish & all. There are ppl who do see it as weird etc.Its not.&It will differ the expertise in locations..& it is expensive & maybe not even available in an area.However ppl travel where they must to get their human families best of medical care They do anything.Same goes for creatures.I think vets should learn on all animal health care etc.Its
vital,necessary.Thankfully there is insurance covering pets too..we must cont.do more. Btw Adorable Name for your rat.Sorry that happened though.Best of fortunes when you have a dog.If I have one,a mouse he will be named Desperauex Witch(from the Book& Film Witches) lol & I would make him gourmet chocolat & make lamice et Les Rat parfume(all safe & natural).Hey they deserve luxuries as well.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2012 12:34:23 AM
original poster posted the following questions:

1. would there be a limit that you would spend to save your pet's life?

2. would it matter how old they were?

3. would you spend a month's salary to save your pet?

4. do you think some vets are out there to save the pet 2nd and to make money 1st?

ok ... those questions were asked about 4 years ago and I suspect the OP is long gone ... however ...

1. yes ... I would have to be able to afford the vet care ... I wouldn't go into debt ... I've done that when I was younger but I wouldn't go into debt now ...

2. I don't know ... a puppy would have more years ahead of it ... but I'd be more attached to the older dog ...

3. I have been known to spend that kind of money on a pet in the past ... but I think I wouldn't do that now ... I spent almost $2,000 in vet bills the first year I had my current pest, the real Miss Molly Maude ... she was a royal pain! I wouldn't have gotten her in the first place if I hadn't been willing to pay her medical bills!

4. no ... I want to think that most vets are there to SAVE THE PET FIRST and foremost ... I've known some vets who have gone ahead and saved the pet's life, even when the owner said to put them down ... then gave the pet to a new family ... I knew one vet who cared for all the wild animals at a small local zoo ... and never charged anything at all!

... ya gotta love people like that ...
 MondoVman
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2012 2:02:36 AM
I would gladly spend up to $10 US each to lobotomize every forumite who DOES NOT
1) follow every comma with a space, or
2) end every sentence with a single period only and not the double or more numerous, "look at me", contemptuous tripe style periods, or
3) follow every sentence with 1 or 2 spaces, or
4) capitalize every sentence.
If we're going to insist on perfection toward all pets, should we not demand all forumites employ what they were taught from the third grade on? Especially those who regale us with how "humanely" (sic) they treat their own?
 IronBelle
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/18/2012 2:12:30 AM
I would rather spend 20K on my dog than meet another liar off here.....: )
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/18/2012 7:56:06 AM
Almost 12 years ago I spent about 2K for liver surgery for my young Kitty Brownie. He was worth every cent. At the time I was broke, but I HAD MASTERCARD.

To each his own, as long as there is no animal abuse or neglect. Only responsible people should be allowed to adopt animals, there should be no more puppy mills & the US should be a no-kill nation.

I would love, love, love to see Bill Bruce come from Calgary to NYC to work @ the NYC ACC to turn it around in about 1 years time. It would be a huge humanitarian act & he would deserve the $200,000 salary that the currently evil incompetent Julie Banks gets.
 judydentures
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/18/2012 4:40:34 PM
At one time I had a pet that I loved a lot, BUT....
now I look at people who are pet gaga and think they're just a bit nuts.
Let me elaborate. My last GF was from Africa. I was with her for many years, and began to look at pets through her eyes. She was always astonished at the way we treat our pets. In her country, the people don't have enough food, so from her perspective it's absolutely crazy to dote on animals.
I now look at the issue from that perspective, that there are billions of people on this earth who don't have food and medical care, while our pets are treated like kings. You have to admit that it's kind of weird.
So....if you ask me if you should spend 5 grand on your dog's surgery, I'll tell you just to get a new dog.
Let the hate begin!
 MondoVman
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2012 7:02:23 PM
^^^You suck at giving pet advise. It is NONE of your business as to other people's decisions about their pets. Do you also suck at giving advise on other subjects as well and all because you never learned the complete sufficiency of just being thoroughly honest about YOUR experiences?

The actual truth is always completely sufficient AND will set you free. Try it some time.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2012 7:55:46 PM
I used to chat in an MSN chat site ... there was an "ignore" button ... you just highlighted the person whose insipid rambling you were sick of listening to and press the "ignore" button ... shrug ... pity ...

on topic ... I sometimes also wonder at our priorities when I see signs that there are CHILDREN starving ... homeless people who could use our help ... and yet we continue to spend excessive amounts of money on our pets ... there's an ad about starving and abused animals that just sickens me ... I'd rather spend my disposable income on hungry or abandoned children ... (and I do) ...

but then I give myself a shake and realize we're all different ... we're all coming from different backgrounds, different places and I have no right criticizing others for their choices ... we do what makes us feel good ...

(here's where we break into song and dance ... "let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me!") ...

MondoVman
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2012 10:28:35 PM
^^^What in the world does your post state other than contempt for how others spend money on their pets, when the topic ONLY asks YOU quote is there a limit that YOU would spend end quote?

...we continue to spend excessive amounts on our pets ...
[followed later by] I have no right criticizing others for their choices ...

Wow. Do you even have a pet, but can't find any words to answer the topic?
Regardless your answer, again, what business other than none do you have criticizing others' spending?
Do you think you only partially failed to understand my previous post critical of another's post?

Can't promise you'll understand any further explanation, but if you don't understand any of the above questions, feel free to ask for clarification or describe your confusion.
 FrancoisVillon
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/19/2012 4:05:02 PM
I have 2 dogs and one cat, I spend few $2000 when they are in need to see the vet.And do it again if I have to. If people are starving and need better unsurance , do like one OP mentioned, like most civilized countries do, and have an health care worth some thing. As fare as how much I spend, it is my money, my dogs, and my cat. No need to be rude , because frankly I have no problem shooting and SOB, but can't kill a dogs, or cat. And if some of y'all have a problem with what I do with my money, you need to start to learn how to respect other people opinion, and mind you own business for change like it or not.
If you don't like to see kids starving fine, then pass a law to castrated the one who make them, and the one who have them. You can drive a car unless you are able to, don't have kids if you can't take care of them, that simple.
 junipermoon
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2012 5:33:18 AM
i recently lost my 12-year-old maine coon. he had a tumor in his sinus cavity, and to treat it would have caused more stress to him than it would have helped him. so i just let him go until it became obvious that he didn't enjoy his life any longer. he never really suffered, thank goodness. for the last 2 days of his life, he couldn't eat much. but he still wanted to play, cuddle watch birds and do all the stuff he loved to do. i watched him carefully to make certain that he didn't have any discomfort.

so, it's been over 2 months since he passed. i've never gone this long without roommates/pets/family or anyone else living with me. anyway, i'm getting a cat this weekend. this cat was a stray, taken in by an associate when the cat got shot in the jaw. the vets around here call him a 'medical miracle' because the jaw healed itself, and no one can figure out why. they left the bullet in there and he has no problems eating. he does have one major problem, however. he's fiv+. so he can't live with other cats. his caretakers spent a fortune on him, i'm sure. and they've offered to pay any medical expenses for him. so i have an ideal situation for him.

i would only spend a lot of money on an animal if i knew that the procedure or treatment would result in a quality of life the animal would enjoy. i see no reason to case an animal stress if it won't help the animal in the end.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/20/2012 6:05:47 AM

Well, that's all sweet and nice and all, but not realistic. People come first, animals last.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. ALL animals are part of the earth's ecosystem. ALL animals are valuable.

What good is to to ONLY save people, if you allow all animals to die, people wont be able to survive here without animals. We all need each other to survive.

On topic...I would spend what I could afford, so long as I was assured my pet would have a good quality of life afterwards. I would not for instance, have tumours surgically removed, as I know enough to know, they always come back anyways, so all I would be doing is to buying extra time, at my pets suffering. I would arrange for my pet to be put down peacefully in that example. But, if I knew the surgery would remove pain so they could enjoy walking and they still had a few good years left, Id consider it for sure.

There are plenty examples of 'human beings' I would never spend a single penny to help out, as they bring on thier own problems, while our pets are innocent living beings that count on humans to make good choices, as they have no choices.
 daynadaze
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2012 12:13:50 PM
It would depend on if I had the money, most vets won't do the work if you can't pay and not everyone has a credit card. It would depend on what the quality of life is for my pet and what the difference would be after surgery. I would not put the poor thing through more than it was worth to the pet. Sometimes ending the suffering is more important than my need to have my pet a while longer.
 lotustemple
Msg: 47
Posted: 3/20/2012 1:34:48 PM
I would love to understand the mindset of those who dismiss spending money on pets for the reason it should go to humans in need.

Is spending on T.V.'s also wrong because the money should go to human suffering or only the money spent on pets? What about cars and vacations? Are they O.K. or should that money go to a human need based charity too? Designer clothes? Why are you so covetous of that particular very small slice of the spending pie....money to keep pets healthy and fed? Surely there are more extravagant spendings that you could target?

Are these people jealous of the love that pets receive? What other explantion could there be?

I was on an obscure island in SE Asia feeding the starving dogs and cats in the street one day and got harshly criticized, by the locals for not feeding the hungry people instead. I said your attitude is precisely why i am feeding the animals. And i have donated money for your people.....supporting a birth control clinic.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/20/2012 4:14:30 PM
he's fiv+. so he can't live with other cats.
wrong...u may mean FELV positive, which is feline leukemia... in that case the cat must be alone or w/ other FELV pos. cats ONLY. FIV+ in cats is 99% non transmitable as long as they r fixed. I have 5, one is FIV+ & I work w/ cats on a voluntary basis, I do not want anyone to get wrong info in case they ever consider adopting a special needs cat...

When I made the commitment to own my pets I also made the commitment to take care of them and keep them warm, healthy and safe until their lives ended. I've spent thousands of dollars in the past to treat some of my cats that had kidney failure or contracted diabetes and wouldn't consider putting them down unless I knew they would otherwise suffer if kept alive.

It's usually the people that question how strong a bond is between a pet and its owner that are the same people that will walk away from a marriage or a long-term relationship because their mate 'got sick' and they didn't want to deal with the cost or the inconvenience of an illness.

As long as my animals live with me there's no question they'll receive proper care including any surgeries needed in order to give them a better quality of life and money means nothing compared to the unconditional love these guys have bestowed on me for so long
agreed- i love them dearly- like little children! XOX
 junipermoon
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2012 6:10:54 PM
several vets have informed me that an fiv+ cat should not live with other cats. apparently the virus can pass through saliva. also, the fiv+ cat can pick up other infections easily. my parents have one with fiv. they kept him separated from their other cats until those cats passed. now he's an only cat. the one i'm getting will also be an only cat. the vets have instructed his current caretakers to keep him away from their other cats. so he has his own 'apartment' on the ground floor of their home.

i'm really looking forward to getting to know him. and with the assurance of his medical expenses being covered, it takes some of the anxiety out of having a cat with a bullet in his jaw.
 coderedjulia1
Msg: 51
Posted: 3/21/2012 1:08:05 AM
Sadly, yes. My german shepard had kidney failure, and the vet offered surgery, but it wouldn't cure him. Just make him alittle more comfortable for a little while till it gets bad again. We had no choice and got him euthanized.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 52
Posted: 3/21/2012 5:22:12 AM
FIV: Catching a Bad Case of Rumors
By Kristi Littrell
http://www.bestfriends.org/theanimals/petcare/cats_fiv.cfm
FIV Facts

1. The Feline Immuno-deficiency Virus is a slow virus that affects a cat's immune system over a period of years.

2. FIV is a cat-only disease and cannot be spread to humans or other non-felines.

3. FIV cats most often live long, healthy, and relatively normal lives with no symptoms at all.

4. FIV is not easily passed between cats. It cannot be spread casually - like in litter boxes, water and food bowls, or when snuggling and playing. It is rarely spread from a mother to her kittens.

5. The virus can be spread through blood transfusions, badly infected gums, or serious, penetrating bite wounds. (Bite wounds of this kind are extremely rare, except in free-roaming, unneutered tomcats.)

6. A neutered cat, in a home, is extremely unlikely to infect other cats, if properly introduced.

7. Many vets are not educated about FIV since the virus was only discovered 15 years ago.

8. FIV-positive cats should be kept as healthy as possible. Keep them indoors and free from stress, feed them a high-quality diet, keep and treat any secondary problems as soon as they arise.

Despite what many people think, cats with this condition can live perfectly long, happy, healthy lives.

I was on my way back to the sanctuary after a family visit in Colorado. Curled up beside me, purring contentedly, was Reggie, the cat nobody dared take in. You'd think he was an unexploded bomb or an X-rated movie.

Make that FIV-rated.

FIV stands for Feline Immunodeficiency Virus. It's a lentivirus, meaning that it progresses very slowly, gradually affecting a cat's immune system. It is passed through blood transfusions and through serious, penetrating bite wounds - mainly by stray, intact tom cats. The most well-known lentivirus in humans is HIV. But the two are not at all the same, and you can't get FIV from a cat. In fact, the only thing about FIV that you can catch is a bad case of the rumors.

Deconstructing Reggie

Reggie is six years old. "I fell in love with him at the shelter and decided to try to find him a home," said Connie, who had rescued him, but then became infected by the rumors. "When my vet diagnosed him with FIV, nobody wanted him."

"How does he get on with other cats?" I asked, innocently.

"My cats have NOT been exposed to him," Connie replied. "So I don't know how he reacts to other cats."

I started to explain that a friend of mine, Karen Green, has had her FIV cat, Bentley, living with her other cats for five years, but Connie was already glazing over. She didn't even want to listen, even though she wanted the best for Reggie.

Reggie stretched and snoozed some more in the car. And I spent the 12-hour drive thinking about finding Reggie - and other cats like him - a good home. When I got back, I went straight to visit Karen.

Bentley - like a Rolls

"I once got a desperate e-mail from an 80-year-old woman," she told me. "Her only cat had just been diagnosed with FIV. The cat was perfectly normal and healthy, but her veterinarian had suggested euthanizing him. The woman was desolated. She asked if we would take him at Best Friends. I said she should keep him. But it was my word against the vet's."

(While Karen is talking, Bentley jumps onto her lap. He's a big cat, with a purr like a Rolls Royce - or maybe a Bentley.)

"He was a stray cat who a woman had been putting out food for until she became incapacitated I took him home myself. He has such personality. I wasn't surprised when he tested positive for FIV. He fit the standard high-risk profile - he'd been a large, roaming, unneutered male."

Bentley continues to be the most mellow and affectionate cat. Kids love him. So do other cats. Men admire his macho good looks, and with his paternal instincts, he has helped Karen foster 12 kittens in the past five years. All of them tested negative for FIV, of course.

"I had a roommate," Karen tells me, "whose vet told her to euthanize her 12-year-old cat when he was diagnosed with FIV! Big John is now 20 years old and completely blind, but otherwise perfectly healthy! People are always surprised to see how healthy Bentley is. But that's the way most of them are!"

She has some happy-ending stories, too, like the letter from a woman who wrote: "After reading about FIV, I realized that much of the fear is simply unfounded. So I've decided to keep this cat and raise him with my other cat, Jasmine."

As long as cats with FIV are not exposed to diseases that their immune system can't handle, they can live perfectly normal lives. And they can only pass the virus on to other cats through a serious, penetrating bite wound. So unless your cats at home routinely tear each other to pieces, it's not a problem. (And if your cats are tearing each other up, that's probably a bigger problem!)

What's in a name?

Faith Maloney, our director of animal care, has two FIV kitties. "I'd had Chevalier for four years before I moved house and decided to test all of my other cats for FIV at the same time. Since they don't fight, none of the others was FIV positive. I even took in another FIV kitty last year."

Here at Best Friends, we have two rooms exclusively for FIV kitties. "They're some of the most gentle and affectionate cats here at the sanctuary," says Judah Battista, who's in charge of all the cats here. Judah thinks the discovery of FIV, about 15 years ago, was a very mixed blessing. "If you go back 15 years, before anybody tested for FIV, all of these little guys would be in homes living long, normal lives. But we've discovered something we can put a name to - even if the cats never get sick!"

Adopting an FIV cat

Dennis Cook and Anne Tatom live near Seattle, Washington with 17 kitties, seven of whom are FIV positive. Four of those seven came from Best Friends, and all of them live happily together. Anne enjoys e-mailing people who are interested in learning more about living with FIV kitties. "I have been a Best Friends member for years, and I understand that FIV kitties need a home, too. Sure, you have to be careful and introduce the new cat properly to the others. But the cats we adopted from Best Friends - Simon, Malcolm, Sir Lancelot, and Wink - have blended into my home just fine."

For Anne, it began when she took in a stray kitty she had been feeding and the vet told her he had FIV. Anne did some research and chose a veterinarian who was up to date on FIV. Surprisingly, many are not. When FIV was first discovered, the HIV scare was in high gear. A lot of vets didn't want to take any chances, so the rule of thumb was: "FIV cats should immediately be separated from non-infected cats. If you can't do this in your home, then find a place that will take them or have them euthanized." No wonder so many wonderful kitties were coming to Best Friends!

Dissolving old fears

Dr. Susan Cotter, professor of hematology and oncology at Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine, is one of those who have helped dissolve these old fears. "I wouldn't advise getting rid of a cat that tests positive for FIV," she says. "If the cat is young and healthy, it could be years before anything changes."

Best Friends veterinarian Dr. Virginia Clemans says the one important thing is to keep your FIV cat healthy. (That, of course, is good advice for all your cats!)

"The virus affects the immune system," she explains. "So keep FIV cats indoors. Make sure they get regular vaccinations. And give them a high-quality diet. Keep an eye on them, and take them to the veterinarian at the first sign of illness."

Am I in the wrong room?

A couple of weeks after I had brought Reggie to the sanctuary, I went to visit him at the TLC Cat Club. Lezlie Sage, our cat adoption person, was there, too, trying to decide whom to take on a weekend mobile adoption trip. "When I first came to work at Best Friends, I walked into one of our FIV rooms, and I thought I must be in the wrong room. I didn't know very much back then, and I expected to see sick cats. But all I saw were healthy ones. Now I know about FIV, and I know there's absolutely no reason for these wonderful kitties not to be in good homes."

As Lezlie was talking, sweet Reggie had curled up in my lap and gone to sleep. I looked around and saw some of the most handsome, healthy cats you could imagine. A bunch of them were all curled up in a basket together, grooming each other and purring. The most comfortable kitties in the world, I thought.
I volunteer weekly in the FIV room of a local no kill shelter- I adopted one FIV cat & fostered another. The shelter has adopted out 12 FIV cats in the last year, which left onlt 3-4 in the FIV room. If I didn't already have my crew, I'd take them all in, they look & act healthy, it's just basically a result on a blood test!
 HIV_STRAIGHT_GUY
Msg: 54
Posted: 4/12/2012 7:24:04 AM
Absolutely not!!! We were given these creatures to enjoy!!! They show, give and feel love and other emotions just like humans!!! When you look into your pet's eyes ... you can see true sincerity ... no judgement!!! You can see their soul and feel their heart, just like what you should find on POF for a prospective mate. If I had to starve to fix my pet/s ... IT WOULD BE DONE !!!
 tuloa942
Msg: 55
Posted: 4/12/2012 2:39:03 PM
I would love to be able to say that I would not set a limit. My heart agrees that there should not be a limit.

But... I have to be practical. I would have to take into account the age of the pet, the amount it is suffering, if the surgery will give it a much longer life or just make it comfortable for a little while longer, and the state of my finances. I would give up any number of things to make it happen but there is a limit. I will not lose my house over it, or put myself into financial straits either.

If someone else feels it is right for them and their pet to spend thousands on procedures, then more power to them. I just can't do it.
 click4love
Msg: 56
Posted: 4/12/2012 7:41:53 PM
Yes, there is a limit. They are animals, and as much as I love my animals, I know they'd eat me if I died in the house LOL The human attributes we give them are just that -- HUMAN attributes we're projecting. They are not humans. They are awesome furry friends, companions, that I slavishly take care of and lavish affection upon, but 10K for a dog surgery? no.
 BrockLee74
Msg: 57
Posted: 4/13/2012 8:10:47 AM

They are animals, and as much as I love my animals, I know they'd eat me if I died in the house LOL

Too funny! But true!
 soicat
Msg: 58
Posted: 4/13/2012 12:26:44 PM

as much as I love my animals, I know they'd eat me if I died in the house

There are countless examples of dogs who have guarded the corpses of their masters for extended periods, and have even laid down and died alongside them. The general rule with dogs is that they will starve before they'll eat their owners.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >