Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jaytee7
Msg: 143
Should we, over 30, continue to wait for the one or adapt to what little is available?Page 5 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Honestly be yourself 100% of the time, and the universe will provide. The fates are always at work, but keep in mind they are busy....... I believe in this, but no the "one", until fate brought us together....
 Agnostiker
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Should we, over 30, continue to wait for the one or adapt to what little is available?
Posted: 1/12/2012 4:45:39 PM
"Settle" as in "Marry the first girl that is not taken and stop looking"? I think that would lead to a divorce sooner or later. A family and children is serious bussines. As a teacher I see enough results of failed single parenting or patch-work backgrounds.

I rather stay single than settle with someone I really want to spent the rest of my life with. Marriage for the sake of marriage is astupid idea in my eyes.
 cinsav
Msg: 145
Should we, over 30, continue to wait for the one or adapt to what little is available?
Posted: 1/18/2012 9:17:58 PM
What is with 30 somethings so scared of settling?

Why do we insist on "holding out" and turning away perfectly good candidates because we're afraid of missing out on something better?

You see the problem is we think we're more valuable and special that we really are. We are arrogant and narcissistic... and it shows in our dating habits.

Granted we all have our preferences, but when we're rejected perfectly good matches because we're so full of ourselves that we think we're "settling" - that's why we're single.
 cooldog65
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2012 9:52:00 PM
Last 2 posts absolutely nailed it. I put the blame on Hollywood.
 Agnostiker
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2012 7:01:47 AM
oh there is a "do not" missing in my reply. Wanted to say:

"I rather stay single than settle with someone I do not really want to spent the rest of my life with. Marriage for the sake of marriage is astupid idea in my eyes."

Not really afraid of settling here. The question simply never came up ^^.
 NYQT4U
Msg: 148
Posted: 1/19/2012 9:57:12 PM
I agree 100% with everything u wrote Virgilskid

Definitely do not settle!
 Capn_America
Msg: 149
Posted: 1/20/2012 10:10:39 AM

I guess us over 40 guys without kids are beyond gay! Are you kidding me?

46? No kids, no wife, no nothing? Oh, you are so gay dude
Seriously, I dunno. Age is just the number, and life is like a box of chocolates; everytime you see one, don't raid the store, just wait for the right one to come. And if it never does? "C'est la vie" as they say in my much loved french.
Its just my opinion, but I never felt pressured. And although like anyone else single, I feel lonely, I wouldnt inflict myself on a woman just to satisfy that craving. I want to make sure I find someone who can stand me, and me being able to stand her (oh my GOD, good luck )
 Capn_America
Msg: 150
Posted: 1/20/2012 10:12:49 AM

Granted we all have our preferences, but when we're rejected perfectly good matches because we're so full of ourselves that we think we're "settling" - that's why we're single.

Granted. But its worse than that; were single cos were IDIOTS lol. Sometimes I feel life is like a Seinfeld episode; were single because we went through her bathroom cabinet and found a cream for herpes... ;-)
We become so sure of what we want, we stay single as soon as we find something we dont agree with. We should all be more open minded. All of us
 cooldog65
Msg: 151
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2012 4:20:52 PM
@Capn_America: Touche'! Excellent points as always. Greetings to Montreal (Epic Mealtime...bacon! ) Where's the trademark middle digit?

I would like to get the good matches...damn picker of mine.
 WanderingRain
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2012 4:18:36 AM
Lately, I feel that "the one" for me... is ME.
Unless we are happy with ourselves, we cannot make others happy.
 Capn_America
Msg: 154
Posted: 1/23/2012 6:34:56 AM

Where's the trademark middle digit?

Deleted my pics, and well, with all the restrictions at my workplace on the net, can't put up new ones. And I promised myself I wouldnt get online when I'm at home, so voila lol. Besides, one of the mods said she'd close my account, if I left it up, so I figure what the hell.

Unless we are happy with ourselves, we cannot make others happy

You must have swollen wrists...
Just kidding, your right. But everyone deserves someone. They might not get what they want but like the great philosopher once said..."You can't always get what you want, but when you try sometimes, you might find, you get what you need"
 Bottleneckblooz
Msg: 155
Posted: 1/23/2012 8:43:14 AM
The way I feel is this....if I don't meet anyone that I feel will improve the happiness and quality of my life, then I would rather be single. So no, I will never settle for someone that does not make me happy.
 Capn_America
Msg: 157
Posted: 1/23/2012 9:55:10 AM

Id rather be alone than be with someone I dont want or isnt my type

I agree! In the meantime...want to roll in the hay?
 Capn_America
Msg: 159
Posted: 1/23/2012 10:04:47 AM

lmao naaah im good lol

Awww, okay. But just cos I respect you as a person. (Actually, I'm more scared you'd gethooked. It's like snorting coke; at first you just want a taste, then you can't really stop yourself )
 oldposters
Msg: 160
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2012 9:33:49 PM
Ummm......there is no such thing as "The one". That logic is in fairy tales people. If you find someone you can enjoy life with, grap it quick and make her the happiest person on earth!!!
 apurfectmeow
Msg: 161
Posted: 1/25/2012 4:23:13 AM
^ heard that..... Life really is too short and most people dont get it. Before we know it everything changes. Thats life.
 legnakrad
Msg: 162
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2012 5:30:39 AM
Don't give up, better to be single than unhappy.
 bobi74
Msg: 163
Posted: 1/25/2012 7:45:58 AM
Dating in your 30's is a lot harder than it was for us when we were in our 20's but rest assured there are still lots of options out there for us. You are not going to find that 100% perfect woman, but you should not settle for someone that you are not crazy for. There are plenty of 85% perfect women out there for you, you just have to be patient. There is an advantage to dating in our 30's and that is that we are more aware of who we are and have a better idea of the type of person that would best compliment our characteristics and make our lives happier sharing with them. Don't settle for someone who has dealbreaker qualities because in the long run you would have been happier on your own than sharing your life with someone you felt you had to settle for. Be patient, it may take some time; but it WILL happen.
 Capn_America
Msg: 166
Posted: 1/30/2012 9:59:30 AM
Hey, I think they deleted Mike's post. So out of solidarity....

Should we, over 30, continue to wait for "the One" or adapt to what little is available?

Well, we could, but it REALLY isnt one of Jet Li's better movies......
 Real_Brunette
Msg: 167
Posted: 1/30/2012 7:15:27 PM
I don't think anyone should settle...ever.
we should be open to dating outside our usual ”type”.
Let's face it, where has that gotten us, lately?
 WinterIsComing80
Msg: 169
Posted: 1/31/2012 11:26:59 AM
Yeah I've noticed that too. I don't know if they just feel they have to prove they are still top dog in their circle or what. It was old when I was 21 and its even older now I'm in my 30s. For the most part it serves the purpose they are trying to accomplish but they never have lasting relationships because its rinse and repeat on their behavior and nobody in their right mind would put up with it for an extended period of time.
 cinsav
Msg: 171
Posted: 1/31/2012 7:00:05 PM

Who the hell do you think you are? Bradly Cooper? You're not Johnny Depp dude. You're an average guy, with average looks, with an average life.

Get over yourself - you're not awesome, you're average like the rest of us.

Get over this "perfect woman" ideal and find someone who you match with... Hell I thought it was only 30 something women who were complete screwed up in the head.... men too?
 imathkinkin
Msg: 172
Posted: 2/1/2012 6:32:34 AM
I settled in my first marriage...huge mistake. There is no such thing as a soulmate (please do a search), but finding someone much more compatible in the areas most important...is essential and wise, don't you think? Make a list of deal-breakers, then be tolerant of the other things (we're all flawed)...that's my plan at least.
 Serendipity_76
Msg: 173
Posted: 2/3/2012 9:51:37 PM
Girls have the same issue. I was in a marriage that I settled. Don't get me wrong. The guy was a great person. However, he wasn't the one that I was head over heels in love with. Relationships are difficult. However, if the other person is "the one" for you, it won't feel like you're sacrificing the world for nothing. When you're in love (not lust), you'll be happy that you didn't settle. I still believe in the one and I'm willing to wait. No need to waste my energy on a relationship that I think is mediocre.
 wildlifelover1979
Msg: 174
Posted: 2/4/2012 8:25:13 AM
I know I am not settling. I deserve better! If I die a lonely hermit then so be it! I won't compromise just to make a woman happy while I am in a relationship doing things that make me unhappy or comfortable. That is why I am still single, never married or engaged and never had a relationship last more than 3 dates.

Yes I am picky!

Qualities I want include

Thin, Slendar, Model, or Athletic type of body
Must be rural/country woman. I won't live in the city.
No smoking, drinking, or drugs!
No tattoos or piercings!
No kids!
No STD's!
I will not go to clubs,bars, or parties!
I don't do out of state vacations or travel!

Women must fit those qualities or I won't get married. I tried dating women that didn't fit those qualities. Never worked!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >