Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 scotlandforever
Msg: 94
Stop Buying Made in AmericaPage 3 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
nedlog, thats a pretty simplistic and ignorant statement to make. You are saying that the U.S. is more warlike thatn Nazi Germany, Stalins Russia, and several other regimes in the 20th Century alone? You know nothing about History if you really believe that or do you jus say what you hear U.S. Bashers from around the world say? And before you accuse me of being defensive or in denial because I am American; I was born and raised in Scotland and I have lived and traveled all over the world. The U.S. has it's faults like every Country but she is still a great country and the people are still the most generous that I have encountered.
 tableguy
Msg: 95
Stop Buying Made in China
Posted: 4/8/2008 3:36:43 PM
The consumer will never stop buying made in china goods as long as they are much cheaper.As SD said .I buy made in china tools at 50% of the price and use the rest for a date. Few are thinking of human rights, chinese military, use of more oil, pollution etc. Most are thinking of their pockets.The only way to alter the price structure of goods is by govn't tariffs.IF you want to live in a safer enviorment,there is a cost.Safety, regulations ,pension's wages, etc cost money. It is reflected in the price of goods.
 tableguy
Msg: 97
Posted: 4/8/2008 5:22:44 PM
an not everything is cheaper, only 99% of the things are cheaper, and they have to transport it across the ocean
 Lucky_Vet
Msg: 99
Posted: 4/8/2008 7:06:42 PM
op: Lol, line up outside an Walmart after a 500K Saturday in sales.

Realistically, there wouldn't be much left to buy.

And as a Chinese importer, wholesaler, retailer, I can honestly tell you 1 thing matters: The best stuff for the lowest price.

Just look at your import cars and tell me if I'm wrong.
 Lucky_Vet
Msg: 100
Posted: 4/8/2008 7:09:29 PM

It is purely corperate greed not want of cheaper items that have caused corperations to outsorce.

Bullshit, and 101 to everyone in this thread on reality:

2 Factors have rendered American companies innefficient: Excessive taxation and regulations, the same 2 things China dumped 5 years ago.

The media is in bed with the men who bankrupt your country, and they love it when you believe its the Evil CEO's.
 Lucky_Vet
Msg: 101
Posted: 4/8/2008 7:12:35 PM

that is a classic example. it is for that very reason that corporations need to be tightly regulated,

The above is 100% wrong. Regulations create inefficiency. The ultimate moderator of a company is competition. Everyone repeat this: There is Nothing the gov't does that helps companies, it only hinders productivity.
 Lucky_Vet
Msg: 102
Posted: 4/8/2008 7:18:01 PM

we also have new stores opening up who Only carry from Canadian designers and manufacturers.

And they probably won't last. You're buying into Darryl Junkin's Craftwork nonsense. Bottom line is and always will be most bang for the buck wins.

We send our technology & QC inspectors to China to build it as good or better than us, and they're quickly getting better.
Next couple of years, watch out for the Chinese Car on our roads.
 betterlate
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2008 7:30:26 PM
There is a rumor that china owns the only deep water port on the west coast, in San Diego, and that they are planning to open up several ports in Mexico and begin shipping in tons and tons and tons of crap, cheap crap designed to put every American, Canadian and Mexican owned companies out of business. The reason I say it is a rumor is because the same person that told me this also told me the Clinton and Bush administration sold all of our National Parks to the UN, and I posted that here and nobody believed it untill they started asking... yes it is true. It is very sad that very few Americans turn off the TV, get up off the leather sofa, push the plate of fried food away and do something with their lives. They only believe what they are told by the pretty shiny people on the TV, they hate who they are told to hate, like who they are told to like, vote for who they are told to vote for leaving a small group of people screaming until they are hoarse about waking up, the people are too complacent, the government and corporations too corrupt and we are powerless against the banks who run it all.

I wish people could see and believe the truth, I dont know what else could be done. I just dont know what is wrong with most people. Actually most of the people that donate to the forums seem informed and intelligent. Why dont we all get together and put the big dogs out of business, open up stores called Made in the usa, heck I am sure with this entire group putting their brains together we could really make a difference...

We will see,
 Lucky_Vet
Msg: 105
Posted: 4/8/2008 7:34:18 PM
Well betterlate, you got most of it right. The UN is really a big elitist front, and it will govern us one day.

As far as stopping Chinese imports, go to the root. Someone like America's Ron Paul would end corrupt income tax and regulations on companies, that within itself would skyrocket America's economy and foreign investment.

I'd move my companies down there in a millisecond.
Problem solved @ the root (but most don't get it.)
 Lucky_Vet
Msg: 106
Posted: 4/8/2008 7:36:05 PM

you feel that you need to attack and not just ad your 2 pennies worth

They're not pennies, they're millions, and their backed with the experience and knowledge that made them happen.

Lose the emotional reaction, sit back and listen to the smartest person in this forum.
 tableguy
Msg: 108
Posted: 4/8/2008 7:58:45 PM
Wake up, its not greed its the most profit, and companies are entitled to make the most profit.How they see these profits, is up to them.
As far as the lucky vet is concerned a)the chinese product today is much inferior.Five years from now i dont know 2)Govn't is needed to regulate , to have standards. l.Other wise we will see a lot of sh*t on the shelf that can do alot of harm.
 cuillerier
Msg: 109
Posted: 4/8/2008 8:02:03 PM
I agree we need in North America to stop buying Chinese made Junk.

I have shoes, that the rubber is falling off, a computer monitor junk after 1 year, scissors that are wore out, screws that strip easily, etc.

Theres not much quality in most of the stuff from there. I got a calculator that the number 5 was really a 9, etc. I had a shopping bag, made in China, that was ripped in about 2 weeks.

I hope in time we can make the stuff here, and forget that chinese stuff thats no good. What a waste of money if it last 5% as long as a north american made item.

Take Care Folks!
 tableguy
Msg: 111
Posted: 4/8/2008 8:26:21 PM
No matter what our infrastucture is we cannot compete with 5 or 6 billion chinese who work for minimal wages and almost have no regulation It is up to the government to change the way the chinese do business.Buy increasing tariffs until the chinese play on a level playing field.That means minimum wage vacation pay , pensions. Ican see the chinese govn't agreeing to all that.Or let them make it, and we will fix it.Increase the service sector
 gizmosellschickens
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2008 1:36:22 AM
We can get along without Chinese made imports but the purchasing power will be reduced in the west across the board. Still, maybe its 30% more for a computer or automotive component without Chinese trade, but at least we wont have to buy from companies that use politcal prisoners to build cheap imported goods.

Im a pragmagic and know that trade with China will not end, but the terms need to be based on among fair rules. For example, Chinese producer exports a dvd player that is sold at department store for $29.99, but the cost to produce the DVD player is $23.99 and the real cost is $28.99. The Chinese use export rebates, and yuan rigging export goods below the acutal cost to produce it. The Chinese are using merchantilism 101, and giving the West its opium of cheap electric goods. The cheap electronics wont last forever since Chinese producers will move up the food chain of production goods to export.

These politcains can stress more education. Yes, eduction is important but not every person is gonna be enigeer or highly skilled worker. Society and the economy should be conform to the confront level of society. The question is buying a computer from China worth savings of $200 if you see your fellow citizens in the west lose thier jobs . True, some jobs will never come back to Europe or North America, but should we the west devalue are working class to help the Chinese producers out. Not against trading with China, but China needs transpracy, human rights, civil freedoms so actual costs of the goods are transparent to society imported from China. Just against politcal prisoners building computers, or goverment denying workers basic safety, sanitation breaks, and the right to form independant trade unions, and not goverment run trade unions.
 Lucky_Vet
Msg: 114
Posted: 4/9/2008 7:37:18 AM
Good answer gizmo. little is known that prisons are actually factories (payoffs made to wardens) and otherwise free men are kept there.

RBM is deliberately devalued as well, amidst protest throughout the world.
Biggest problem is our own system that drove our companies over there.

Excessive taxation, regulation vs non of that in China. Our companies have little left for R&D necessary to stay 20 years ahead of the world as we once did. Much smarter to go over there, educated them, place your own QC inspectors, and make your product. America as we know is finished, soon it'll all be one world rule.

Most fail to realize Obama, Hillary, Bushes, McCains, etc are all in bed with the CFR (a david rockafeller original) aimed at eliminating sovernty. Buckle your seat belts.

You silly americans want to save your country? Boot out the elitists, vote in your Texas congressman. Anybody with a clue of economics, socio political systems gets it.
Rest is all bandaids, go to the root.
 Obsidius
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2008 6:46:41 PM
there's several stories floating around in the media these days about product recall due to lead found in these products:
stop the chinese poison train
http://consumerist.com/tag/chinese-poison-train/
 tableguy
Msg: 117
Posted: 4/9/2008 8:08:17 PM
Okay there may not be 5 or 6 billion chinese but there are at least 2 or 3 billion chinese and 1 billion plus in India.There are 300 million in the US and 30 million people in Canada.People (consumers) only care about the bottom line(esp. if you dont have much).The only way to stop or reduce the made in china products is to level the playing field.That is through our goverment.
 bob0colo
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2008 9:25:51 AM

Okay there may not be 5 or 6 billion chinese but there are at least 2 or 3 billion chinese

What's a few hundred million??

Mar 4 2008
With just over 1.3 billion people (1,321,851,888 as of mid-2007), China is the world's largest and most populous country.
http://geography.about.com/od/populationgeography/a/chinapopulation.htm

China is going to graduate 300 million english speakers......

Why is china growing by great leaps.....
Investment in infrastructure......
Government investment.....

We don’t get lower prices From Cheap crap made in China...

We gain Greater Corporate profit.....

When the jeans, shoes or waste basket is made in China did you notice a drop in price..........

With 85% of the Heparin coming from China your going to tell the Surgeon what???

What about your other medications???

No label of origin???

Are your Drugs a lot cheaper....... Many are made in China....

With no regulator oversight....

Wall Street Journal

In a small, damp factory here [in Yuanlou, China], blood-smeared men wring pulp from pig intestines, then heat it in concrete vats.

The activity at Yuan Intestine & Casing Factory is the first step in the poorly regulated process of making raw heparin, the main ingredient in a type of blood-thinning medicine that in recent days has come under suspicion in the deaths of four Americans.

More than half the world's heparin comes from China. The chemical is often extracted from pig entrails in small factories -- many as rudimentary as this one, which also manufactures sausage casings from intestines.

Heparin goes through extensive processing in its journey from abattoir to IV bag. Nevertheless, because some of it originates in tiny Chinese factories like these, if there's a problem with the final medication, it can be nearly impossible to trace the raw heparin back to the source, the pigs whose tissue was used to make it.

Heparin makers in China readily acknowledge the lack of oversight. Yuan Changkun, the owner of the small factory here, says health regulators don't visit his plant. Mr. Yuan doesn't keep records of where he acquires the intestines he uses. Nor is he sure who the end customers are.

The raw heparin made by China's myriad small producers ends up in the hands of about 50 export companies, which sell to customers overseas. In the first half of last year, more than 85% of these heparin exports went to the U.S., Austria, France, Italy and Germany, according to an industry trade group.

Could we build a Fighter a Tank A Humvee without China ?????

instride
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2008 10:03:20 AM
Even if it's not made directly in China, it is very possible it is made in a CFTA country.
Google China Free Trade Agreement. I bet you will be overwhelmed by the number of countries who not only trade with them but also do some or their outsourced work.
China has big plans to import more into Central, South America, Mexico, The US and to Canada. They are widening the Panama Canal, investing in the Trans Continental Corridor, investing in the Trans Texas Corridor and will be collecting tolls off the Superhighway 69.
 tableguy
Msg: 121
Posted: 4/10/2008 5:32:15 PM
Again the only way we can compete with chinese goods(after they perfect manuf. them)is a level playing field and and and government regulations.
The question was can we build a Tank without China,the answer is, not a cheaper one.If the question was (I feel like Jeopardy)can we build a much much better Tank without China, the answer is, a resounding yes.Can China make cheaper crap then us, the answer, a resounding yes.
 bob0colo
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2008 1:39:30 PM

so long as we can pay 50 cents less a tin of peaches.

Bet the price don't go down.... MORE PROFIT....

huixin
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Posted: 6/4/2008 7:29:34 PM
Not buying Made in China is a very good idea.
1.The education in Tibet is free.The govt of China supplies most sides for Tibetan.
2.Not buying made in China means that you will give none aid on the economy to China
3.Therefore the govt of China has less to Tibet.
4.Love Tibet Buy made in China.
5.Be hero -in -activity , don't be a false martyr.
 huixin
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2008 5:06:39 PM
Muslim_Jihadist knows China too much. with equal comment
 designingwoman
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2008 8:37:52 PM
Perhaps one of the advantages of the high gas prices is that American companies will be (finally!!!!!) forced to bring those jobs back home where they BELONG!!!
 Soul Union
Msg: 136
Posted: 1/2/2013 11:09:24 AM
You're boycott is an oversimplification. Lets say I need a toaster, go to any store and find me a toaster not made in China, good luck with that. Walk through a Wal-Mart lately? That's a fun game, trying to find things not made in China, very challenging.

And why the outrage at just China? If you want human rights abuses, look no further than what American is doing has done in the Middle East. Do I see you boycotting us for all the thousands of innocent people killed in Iraq? -- get_mad_baby

I agree with you.

I wouldn't purchase a plastic spoon from China if my life depended upon it. I go out of my way to avoid anything made in China or having anything to do with China. I won't even eat sushi or rice - and that's a fact, believe it or not. Everything I buy is bought with my home economy in mind. Why would I want to support China? They don't support us. I'd rather starve to death. I'd rather choke on fly-blown gruel for breakfast, lunch and supper than support China.

Unfortunately, here in New Zealand, where I live, the cataclysmic flood of made-in-China goods is overwhelming. Our jobs are being dismantled and sent to China at an alarming rate of knots. The trouble is, most people here cannot see what is happening right under their noses. If I were Prime Minister of this country, I wouldn't allow China to trade with us. I wouldn't allow their products anywhere near New Zealand. But our Prime Minister, John Key, the traitor, has other ideas. "We'd better all start learning Chinese," he said only two days into his premiership. I guess he knows something we don't. But we're all to politically correct to stand up for ourselves. Sheep. Easily penned. Easily stamped. "Not made in New Zealand anymore."

Now, where's my gruel?

Peter
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  >