Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 OutMind
Msg: 63
Does plenty of fish really work for you compared to other dating sites?Page 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
This is what many women have said to me. In here you get like 300 emails in one weekend. They say that is overwhelming and the quality is not that good. They do get a lot of emails on the Paying site, but the quality is better.

In my experience I would say it's 3 to 1 in favor of the paying site. Yet I have had responses from this site.

Another difference is that in some other sites you actually develop a conversation, but perhaps because the women are so inundated with emails most women's answers tend to be less than two paragraphs.
 starzgirl72
Msg: 64
Does plenty of fish really work for you compared to other dating sites?
Posted: 4/6/2011 1:00:42 PM

That was part of what was so interesting - the site I was on was a free site, not a paid site. And, there are a lot of the same people from here on there as well.

I was on eHarmony and I've recognized several guys on here that're also on that site. I didn't care for it as I'd say 95% of the matches they sent to me I either had no physical attraction to or their interests/lifestyle was vastly different from mine (for instance, they were into macrobiotic diets or were very religious...I'm the total opposite, etc.) I'm not sure that any one of these dating sites is necessarily any better than another since you see a lot of the same exact people on all of the sites at one time or other.
 Genuine_guy_
Msg: 65
Posted: 3/26/2013 10:38:53 PM
Hey OP I used a few different dating sites (OK cupid, Lavalife, and perhaps 1 other I don't remember) before using POF. Lavalife sucked. It was expensive and the number of people signed up was low in my city (Toronto), I never got a single date out of it and probably blew 80-100 bucks. I don't remember doing much on . POF has been different. The sheer volume of people on here is insane. There are literally thousands upon thousands of women in my demographic and city and I've gone on a lot of dates off POF. While most of them didn't turn into a relationship I still met interesting people and had a good time.
As other people said, the people on POF are just like people in real life, so you run into the same kinds of things. If you're just an average joe and you only message the absolute hottest girls on POF and don't get a reply, well, that should't be surprising. If you went up to those same girls at a bar or club do you expect they would flirt with you? Probably not.
There are a few differences with internet dating, though. People can definitely be more picky. Many women, for example, will claim they will only date a man 5'10'' and taller but then they meet a great guy who's 5'7'' and fall for him - in real life. I've seen that happen. But on a dating site that same women is extremely likely to simply look at a guy's profile and say "nope, he's 5'7'', not even going to talk to him". I'm guilty of this too I suppose. On POF I will never message a woman who claims she's religious, as I'm an athiest, but then in real life I have definitely fallen for women who are religious. So I guess I'm saying that yes, people are more picky. But you can compensate for that by the fact that yo ucan interact with people much more quickly on the internet and if you put in the time you can find someone who meets your criteria.
 Truth556
Msg: 66
Posted: 3/27/2013 12:03:50 AM
A lot less single moms on OK cupid and match than on pof. Maybe I should try those 2 sites more instead of wasting my time on this shithole.
 i_ski_do_u
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/27/2013 8:42:25 PM
An internet dating site is an internet dating site and they are all the same, even including the same people on them. If it wasn't for the forums to entertain myself with, I would be one any dating sites. I meet more dating prospects out in the real world than I do here.

At least you don't have shills here sending you emails just as your subscription is expiring trying to get you to renew your membership and spend more money.
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 68
Posted: 3/27/2013 8:45:25 PM
I've said this before on a similar topic... I found it easier to find smarter men on OKC, and easier to find nicer ones on POF.

So on this return trip, I went with the one that has better forums!
 sigungq
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2013 9:23:09 PM
OP, like you, I have emailed hundreds of women since i have been on here. Now, I just come for the forums. I think what you have to realize, is that most women who join dating sites are not serious. They are here only for validation. The feeling that they can actually be attractive to members of the opposite sex, but nothing more. Most are probably married or have SOs.

Even the payed sites are the same. Many women are so desperate for validation, they will pay for it. Also, with the payed sites, so many of them set up thousands of fake profiles using photo models to lure people to part with their money.

I've learned not to take women online seriously. Now, I just come for the forums. If I ever actually get a date, I'm sure it will be in the real world, and not in some virtual matrix.
 jpwrnglrwmn_forumsonly
Msg: 70
Posted: 3/28/2013 10:22:58 PM
I have said this before on other related threads, but I had the worst luck on this site compared to other sites. Most of the relationships I had were from ok cupid, and I agree with Helen on the smarter comment. With this site. .the men that I did end up meeting.. .let's just say I didn't get the honesty vibe from either of them upon meeting. On match..ugh, not much luck there, with much older (20+, don't need a dad, thank you) men contacting, even though, like here, my age range was specified clearly.
But yes, it does work for me in terms of the forums, though!
 FirstDateKit
Msg: 71
Posted: 3/29/2013 12:54:52 AM
That's true buddy, I like to think I am pretty level headed in my expectations with this experience but the amount of people that message me with either something totally drab like "Hi" or "How r u?" or something of equivilent boredom is ridiculous. I just delete them because that creates a first impression that the other person has no communication skills.

As for looks, well. think of this site as a concentrated version of the real world except you know everyone is single. Like idiot man said, everybody has different tastes and if you're not my cup of tea there's no point in pursuing it. Having said that, you should reflect upon why you think you're just average and if you need to maybe bite the bullet in order to offer someone a new an improved version of you, do it! No one should want to make you change but yourself. Go get that "style cut", pay attention to the way people dress and make sure you are putting in some effort. But don't go over the top and make yourself look like you're trying to hard either. Lol! Get that balance and be confident!
 MRGETITTOGO
Msg: 72
Posted: 3/29/2013 5:36:13 PM
pros and cons with everything.

POF pros: free....duh.
POF cons: there are no cons...its free.

there are no guarantees with this site so its what u make it. all u can do is give it your best shot. work on writing better messages and work on your humor and conversation skills. work on your outer appearance and put up the best pictures of yourself that you can. keep rewriting your profile and see how much info you release determines what response you got. Its free so go hard and dont give up so fast buddy.
 bottleguy
Msg: 73
Posted: 3/30/2013 6:42:41 AM
I only send messages to women active in the last week anyway, because I assume if they have not been on in a while then they have found someone. Solves that problem. My problem is that nobody every messages me back. On this site and all the other ones. But on the rare occasion they do, at least I can read it for free.
 LatticeMatrix
Msg: 74
Posted: 3/30/2013 6:46:41 AM
Pof has gotten lots of people laid.
ENDQUOTE
 John255317
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/30/2013 6:57:41 AM
All paying and non paying sites are the same, there is no difference between them.
 LatticeMatrix
Msg: 76
Posted: 3/30/2013 6:59:55 AM
Except that several women have been raped on plenty of fish...and this creepy got away with it...
http://ozarksfirst.com/fulltext?nxd_id=746002
 _FishingForAMermaid_
Msg: 77
Posted: 3/30/2013 7:48:30 AM
GentleHeart said it well. POF is a place for dreamers. Not that it is bad to dream. But the dream world and reality are two different places.

POF compared to other dating sites is no comparison. POF is free. Other dating sites like your money. They are two different things. In terms of bringing people together, no one is better or worse than any other. It all boils down to "luck" when two people get together - always has; always will.

Be lucky !!
 AthenaMarina
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2013 4:30:58 AM
there's IMHO cuter guys on here than & I've managed to have 3 dates here none there but that's over 5 months! And mostly the guys here are more articulate too.

"OP, like you, I have emailed hundreds of women since i have been on here. Now, I just come for the forums. I think what you have to realize, is that most women who join dating sites are not serious. They are here only for validation."

I AM serious.
Sometimes the interest gets annoying though it's nice overall cos I'm not attracted to them (just like the guys I've initiated contact with here are usually not interested in me) so sometimes it makes me feel LESS attractive!!! And like why can't I get interest from people I DO find compatible & attractive (a question a lot of us ask ourselves here!)
 Glenoran1
Msg: 79
Posted: 4/1/2013 11:36:16 AM
Add me to the roster of folks who have been on here for a l-o-n-g time (and occasionally -- including now -- on a paid site), but the only contacts I get are from men too far away to make dating viable, or 20+ years older than me. Local men I contact (in my age group) do not reply. Result: None.
 liftnw8z2
Msg: 80
Posted: 4/1/2013 1:34:17 PM
Haven't met "ms right" here but met a few in initial meets that didn't pan out. That's how it goes. I try and invest in real world dating anyhow.
 ohenryx
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2013 2:19:39 PM

AthenaMarina
Sometimes the interest gets annoying though it's nice overall cos I'm not attracted to them (just like the guys I've initiated contact with here are usually not interested in me) so sometimes it makes me feel LESS attractive!!! And like why can't I get interest from people I DO find compatible & attractive (a question a lot of us ask ourselves here!)

The answer to this is really quite simple. Everyone wants to “date up”, no one wants to “date down”.

gentleheart40
The men that say it does work for them are either above average good-looking (they won't admit to that generally) or are writing in their forum posts that it is going very well and having lots of dates as they know that women will be looking at their postings in the forums when checking them out and forum postings are NEVER DELETED, just as are user profiles NEVER DELETED without a court order.

Say what? You trying to call me “good looking”? Well, cut it out, I’m strictly heterosexual!

Seriously, I am far from good looking, but I have enjoyed success here and over on the other free dating site. That is, if you define success as meeting women and going out on dates. I have even came close to finding a real long term relationship, but not quite. Not yet, anyway, though I remain hopeful.

Anyone who thinks their forum posts have any connection to their meeting women and getting dates is delusional. I have had something like 150 initial meetings, and only one of those women even knew of the forums.
 sigungq
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2013 4:40:49 PM
OP, all of the dating sites work the same for me........... No dates.
 35brock
Msg: 83
Posted: 4/2/2013 8:41:05 PM
There are flakes, cheaters, losers etc on any dating site. Having said that, I do think ( in general ) Match has relatively better quality of people than POF. I had much more success on Match than POF in terms of getting emails and dates.
 THEMEPACK
Msg: 84
Posted: 4/3/2013 2:46:35 AM
POF is great....I have never used another site. Why buy the cow! Some people spewing that there are better matches, more intelligent and better people on other sites yet here they are...
Why would you keep going to a used car lot if you are looking for something brand new!
 35brock
Msg: 85
Posted: 4/3/2013 6:23:49 AM

POF is great....I have never used another site. Why buy the cow! Some people spewing that there are better matches, more intelligent and better people on other sites yet here they are...
Why would you keep going to a used car lot if you are looking for something brand new!

I can't speak for the others. But I am POF for the forums.
 abmccray
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2013 6:56:56 AM

For the forums, duh. I haven't done a single search on here in like a year and ignore all of my email (just from the quality of the email itself).
 rod1919us
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2013 7:38:07 PM
Whateva....

I utilize it from time to time. I just write a simple 3 line message to any profile I'm attracted to. I don't expect anything in return. A lot of the times I forget about the message. Sometimes they hit me back and if I'm lucky we meet and if I'm extremely lucky...well nuff said. lol

Point is..POF works, but don't put your heart and soul into it. Now compared to other sites I don't know...this site was free.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >