Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jlynn1955
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Does plenty of fish really work for you compared to other dating sites?Page 3 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I've been on several sites, including match.com and eharmony. POF is the only site where things ahave progressed to having a date. I have not even gotten one message on some of the other sites.
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 89
Does plenty of fish really work for you compared to other dating sites?
Posted: 4/4/2013 4:44:12 PM
^^ There's definitely a Trash Factor, but I wouldn't say "most." That might be a locational thing.

Off-topic addendum for tnt, below: Love the new picture! You look great!
 tnt144
Msg: 90
Posted: 4/4/2013 4:49:21 PM
This site is scraping the bottom of the barrel. But there are some good ones and you only need to find one.
 SweetSun13
Msg: 91
Posted: 4/4/2013 5:12:31 PM
I have no expectations from anyone. I have no problem with meeting and greeting, its filtering the one night stand guys, or the married ones.
 NewYorkFan1
Msg: 92
Posted: 9/2/2013 2:35:11 PM
My response rate on POF sucks, I think I might have a had a couple meets off of this site. My response rate on Cupid, which is also totally free, is much better.
I have met a lot of people off of that site as well as had a couple relationships off of there.
And as for so many people saying it is the pics and the profile that we have on here that make it so tough, I have the same pics and profile on the other site..But with much better results!!!
I believe POF is way too saturated.
 elmuchoburrito
Msg: 93
Posted: 9/4/2013 5:36:46 AM
It is as affective as Monster for getting a job.

surely somebody must be getting hired from it; none of my friends nor me , nor none I have ever met
same same here.
surely somebody must be getting dates, meeting fun people, launching a relationship -
none of my friends, not for any I have met, and certainly not for me.
 Whisky_River
Msg: 94
Posted: 9/4/2013 7:23:17 AM
Yes...It can work...I know of quite a few that met their mates from on line dating....a few have married.
Plus...isn't there a thread for all the people who have met here.?
When I first signed on...I myself had quite a few dates....sure, there were some liars...about age/height...whatever.
But for the most part...I never had a bad meet. It's all about attitude and perserverance.
I left and had a relationship with someone I met in real life...(see no guarantees)...now just taking my time...to get back into it.

I also use to go to the "meet and greets" in my city.... open gatherings...met women friends...as well.
People are right.....men/women want to see "nice" profiles and hopefully some insight into the real you.
If your profile consists of whining about ...how crappy women/men/life is....odds are it's a pass for most....people
I know...I don't want to deal with "drama"...
 abmccray
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2013 11:56:35 AM
It is as affective as Monster for getting a job.

Monster is used to get noticed by headhunters, which do get high skillset people jobs all the time (and I know tons of people who have gotten jobs from sites - they're just all highly skilled people).

So I guess it is analagous - if you're a prime candidate, you get dates or jobs. Although Monster (or actually linkedin, which is more useful for direct hire now) seems to be closer to match or something, this is more like craigslist or something where you can't get QUALITY careers - just low income or entry level.
 ryuoki
Msg: 96
Posted: 9/4/2013 12:48:16 PM
"When you go fishing for real fish, and they arent biting, do you blame the fish for having high expectations or do you change your bait?"

For starters you go at the right time and make sure you are at the right location. Any experienced fisherman will tell you this. To further increase chances throw out chum or some other bloody tasty mix to lure them into the area. Of course this is not possible when on a dating site. The dating site is in actuality more of a meat market, with all the packages and fish or what not laid out for examination. Those intent on getting meat for dinner are going to buy something while many others are just browsing and IF something looks tasty a purchase will be made. The latter seems to be the mass majority of the ladies on the site. No real intention of getting anything out of the site, just browsing for 'personal' interest.

I know all to well how you feel. I too am just an average guy. I am not Lou Ferrigno in the body department, nor overly good looking like male superstars and models. I can run 3+ miles, bench press 300lbs, and weigh 195-200 and am just under 6'. Sadly though it seems that if you are not 6' or taller you get filtered out as fodder and tossed back into the pond. Being an average ordinary guy just isn't enough this day and age of instant gratification. The ladies have an imaginary 'prince' in their mind and measure each up to that baseline. Unfortunately no one ever really comes close to matching up to imagination.

But if all you have sent out were about a hundred messages you are not yet in too bad of shape. I live in a town of barely 5000 people and within a 75 mile radius of ladies profiles have sent out well over 500 messages. I have gotten maybe a 2% response rate, and as for meetings.... maybe 4 in the past 2+ years I have had an open profile on the site.

So don't get entirely discouraged, visit the profile review if you haven't (and even then they can only make suggestions from their perspective so it is likely not to work either). Pay for professional photographer to take your pictures, airbrush away any flaws, and make sure they give you the sparta 6pack package for any pictures that might have your shirt off, even if you have a keg instead. It definitely will not work if you do not try.
 35brock
Msg: 97
Posted: 9/10/2013 7:03:36 AM

Yes POF can work.

People can also win the lottery or get struck by lightning. But I think the percentages of these happening are fairly low.
 MartyBrodeurFan30
Msg: 98
Posted: 9/11/2013 1:34:46 PM
I prefer POF over because I get more second meets(1st or 2nd depending how first meet goes) and my response rate on here is better than any site I've been on. Match and Zoosk are my least favorite not because they are pay sites but Match is the only site where women who aren't interested feels the need to give me a message saying that I seem like a nice guy but they don't feel the connection.....ummm okay and I care because......and Zoosk I feel have the most amount of scammers and women with mental instability.....yikes!!! So take your pick.
 35brock
Msg: 99
Posted: 9/12/2013 9:28:08 AM
Match is the only site where women who aren't interested feels the need to give me a message saying that I seem like a nice guy but they don't feel the connection

I would prefer that over women that suddenly do the disappearing act or keep making excuses about why they aren't available or lead you on and pretend to be interested when they aren't.
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2013 5:24:31 PM
POF is probably as good as it gets. I've been on about half a dozen paid sites and found most of the guys there were on POF...why waste the money? I've had a handful of meets and one relationship that lasted a year. Other than that, what can you say? However, I will say that POF was much better when I first started...a lot more to it and more fun.
 MartyBrodeurFan30
Msg: 101
Posted: 9/15/2013 8:37:11 AM
35brock- I forgot to mention those messages on Match were first messages that I sent to them.....Normally if women weren't interested they won't reply then(no response is a response). But I do agree with disappearing act and the excuses on here, i've been getting it a lot lately.....guess we all have our bad times on here every now and then
 Maleman999
Msg: 102
Posted: 9/15/2013 8:51:03 AM
I find POF a little bit better than standing on a street corner with a sign that says "Will date for food".
 patchman1313
Msg: 103
Posted: 9/15/2013 10:16:41 PM
I disagree, more people would drive by and read your sign than looking at a profile on this site. That I know is a fact.
 emilyrosly
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2018 11:05:46 PM
Well what I've noticed is looking for a decnet man at least in the town I live in they all just want one thing its a real bummer lol
 MeramecRiverRat
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2018 8:18:25 AM

I really don't want to go back to the bar scene as I really don't drink and to be honest most of the people you meet there are just drunks and not looking for a relationship either just one night stands.

The above has not changed in the 10 years since the OP started this thread. Finding LTR when you're not an "alcoholic" is not easy if you're a man in the Western world who isn't in a top percentile of appeal. Difficult online, difficult in real life.

All indications are POF was better 10 years ago when users had better photos and longer, more interesting profile text showing personality. If the OP didn't like it here then, he would probably hate it now with boring selfies and near empty text saying the same boring clichés as in most other profiles.

Not on any paid sites so don't know how well they work. POF arguably works the best of the 4 free sites I've been on. Tinder probably has the most people, but has a lower match rate than the POF message response rate. POF has an advantage over Tinder for those who want to weed out incompatible people via profile settings. The OK site allows even more information with the questions and prodding the users with profile text categories.

My most recent girlfriend was from the OK site. The most recent girl I met in person was from Tinder. Shortly after getting back on POF, met two girls and saw each "many" times, and a few months later met one more without seeing her again. POF has a good response rate but not an enormous rate of taking things to real life. Tinder matches might progress to texting or phone calls, but you might find out something you don't like. She might suddenly mention offspring (or grandchildren).

Tinder has quite a few poly / married people. Tinder also has trans users. The OK site also has many "alternative" people (poly, trans, etc). POF has a lot of married people who put "separated". Not aware of many LGBT on POF; the forums certainly don't seem to have many openly gay posters.

By far the worst site was Bumble. All the negatives of Tinder, and not better than other sites in any way. If you want a one night stand with a limousine liberal, and don't want to worry about her pestering you to have a relationship or to see you again, you might like Bumble. The other sites are also ideal for players who don't mind one night stands, but have more diverse demographics, except for the OK site, which has the same type women as Bumble. The vast majority of profile text there has shallow demands for height and profession / income. First messages from women on that site are usually lame. Most matches expire within 24 hours. The site also bombards users (in email and push notifications directly to the phone) with political BS, usually about "empowering women". I think negatively of any woman just for being on that site. Bumble tries to bash the Match Group sites. They deserve the low ratings and bad reviews they get. Met some girls there, but saw only one from there more than once, and she disappeared after cancelling a planned 4th date. Am in contact with one gal from there who we matched just before I left, but so far we have not met in real life. Could be a time vampire. Even if she becomes a relationship, it would be an anomaly for that site.

POF seems to have a large pool of users, but many have not been online in a long time (and many of the ones who seem to have been online recently might just be the phone app, not actually online). It might be easy to message all the most compatible ones quickly, then you run out with few to no new prospects appearing. The OK site seems to be nearly a ghost town. Tinder, I almost never reach the "no new matches" status.

POF seems quite good at removing fake / spam accounts quickly. Most Tinder photos don't look fake because they don't look good enough. Many Bumble photos look like fakes. The OK site doesn't seem to have many fakes.
 I_Am_Con_S_Tip_ated
Msg: 106
Posted: 4/8/2018 8:47:08 AM
The problem is us, not the sites.

However, I will say that you will find (generally) a more educated and liberal demographic on O K Cupid

POF is the "Wal-Mart" of dating sites.

Lucky for me, I do shop at Wal-mart.
 CBGB77
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2018 10:57:09 AM
I see most of the same people on both websites(OKC and POF) OKC is pretty useless now that they have changed the messaging so that you can no longer direct message someone unless the other person has already pre-approved(liked) you.
 ohenryx
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2018 11:08:50 AM

MeramacRiverRat
By far the worst site was Bumble.

Bumble advertises itself as run by women, for the benefit of women. And they certainly have slanted things in the woman’s favor. But then, what do I care as long as I get a date with an attractive woman, what difference does it make? If she has to send the initial message, then okay, fine, I’ll wait for that. But while I’m waiting, I’m using Tinder and Ok*Cupid and POF and a few adult sites.

This is a numbers game. Use all of the free sites, and maybe a few paid (if you can easily afford it, why not?)

CBGB77
I see most of the same people on both websites(OKC and POF) OKC is pretty useless now that they have changed the messaging so that you can no longer direct message someone unless the other person has already pre-approved(liked) you.

Agreed. OKC has really gone downhill as far as being useful to me in meeting women and getting dates. They seem to want to be Tinder or something. We already have Tinder (and their imitator Bumble), why wouldn’t they (OKC) just stay in their own niche?

The main thing is, work as many angles as you have time for. Different OLD sites, and real life, and Meetup groups, and whatever else you can think of.
 I_Am_Con_S_Tip_ated
Msg: 109
Posted: 4/8/2018 12:34:49 PM
This site is pretty good because it's free... I've used a few of the bigger pay dating sites before and I noticed that after a while ... i.e., just as my account would go inactive (if I'd not logged in a while) I'd get a "x has added you their favorites!" email. Or I'd even get a message from them.

But then when I pay to actually read the message and then reply, that would be it, I'd never hear anything back. The first time I thought maybe they didn't like my email so I didn't get a response. But it happened quite a few times... account just about goes to sleep, a message out of the blue, renew the membership and then nothing.

Then I heard there was actually a huge lawsuit about it. Match.com was scamming people by paying workers to message people whose accounts were almost expired.

After the people would reapply to view the message the person who contacted them would disappear.

PS- I just got a message from a nice lady I added to my "favorite" list, so I have high hopes for POF.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2018 12:48:12 PM
I've met guys in bars that weren't alcoholics and just used them to meet women like I have to meet men.

OkC sucks. That's where I get all the scammers contacting me. I do see a few men from there on pof, but surprisingly, not many. I don't know what their new deal is. They tell you someone likes you, then maybe you're supposed to click on profiles to see which one it is, then that probably let's those people know you looked at their profile, making them think you're interested, creating more activity at OkC. To me, it's a mess, and I'm not participating in their games.

I_am, I hope Match gets the pants sued off of them for playing those games with scamming users.
 I_Am_Con_S_Tip_ated
Msg: 111
Posted: 4/8/2018 12:58:43 PM
^Not meaning to be forward, you're gorgeous. Why are you here? Are the men around you blind?

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread
 NewYorker58
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2018 1:33:07 PM
^^^^^thank you, but.....that's an older pic of me☺ I'm not dating for a while now, because my dog needs too much care for me to get into the LTR I'm seeking. She needs to be medicated every several hours, and is not in great shape to take her on the road. For a guy, I would be the equivalent of someone with small kids with the care she requires. I noted in my profile that I'm not dating at the moment. Since I decided not to date, I started posting older pics of what I like to do outdoors and took newer pics down. Actually, that profile pic is more of an FU to whoever reported me for having a main profile pic where my head was tilted down. So I thought I'd post this somewhat obnoxious big face in your face photo☺ I do still have a new pic up from 2017 with the camo shirt on.

I did date some guys from here. I like the concept of OLD, that you can see if you have anything in common. That's really important to me. I'm in a state where it is somewhat easy to find activity compatibility, because of WA being a Mecca for outdoor activities. In N.Y. where I moved from, most just list movies and dinner.

P.S. - Charmin Essentials. It's like wiping your butt with a thick luxurious cloth
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >