Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 I_Am_Con_S_Tip_ated
Msg: 113
Does plenty of fish really work for you compared to other dating sites?Page 4 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
^^
Don't be so modest, I seen your recent shot. A damn good looking woman, if you don't mind me saying so.

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.
 prettybrwneyedone
Msg: 114
Does plenty of fish really work for you compared to other dating sites?
Posted: 4/8/2018 10:41:53 PM
I think since living down south, when I've actively updated my photos and stayed on the dating side for more than five minutes - I've had some luck. I think more luck than match, which did not have a lot of quality matches in my town or even in the next closest city. And, match had way more married guys - some were upfront about it and some were not until about a dozen of messages back and forth.

Being that I know understand some of my plight with the guys that I tend to attract and give a chance to, they've either been insecure and clingy or egotistical and selfish or both, yet in both cases, they've wanted to rush things. I know to continue to go with my instincts, meet or go on a date sooner than later to assess things.
 julystorm7
Msg: 115
Posted: 4/9/2018 12:06:13 AM
Yeah, I've found that to be a big problem with guys that I give a decent chance to that I'm not necessarily super attracted to. As soon as we've had a great conversation they start to get clingy and before I know it they want to have deep conversations about marriage, children, the works. They start to kind of freak me out and then they text me frantically wondering why I didn't text back if I don't text back immediately so I tell them I'm just not interested anymore. I feel bad because I know they are just trying way to hard because I've given them some hope. I've actually done the same thing myself. I like a guy alot and then I turn into a crazy person because then my insecurities start to rear their ugly head. I really wish texting didn't exist at times because its in the texting phase that things can really go haywire. Most people always have their phones on them (except at work) so when you text them during non-work hours you know they got your text but aren't texting back. Or someone texts me and I'm too busy to send a reply but then they start to go crazy because they are worried about why I didn't reply.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2018 1:02:03 AM
I_am, I do appreciate compliments, just didn't want to misrepresent myself. I've got to switch that pic out with something else.

To the ladies, many of these guys get no play, so when they get a response, I think they're super excited. I actually like enthusiasm, but too many messages/calls/texts is intrusive. I do believe it's a means to an end sometimes, to fast forward the relationship. Some guys may just be excited.

I think women handle lack of dating better. It could be that women are more social, where men may tend to stay alone at home.
 BombayBeach
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2018 8:26:35 AM
The OK site has committed suicide by changing it's format. It used to be one of the better sites, then suddenly over the past year they put it in a stranglehold.

Actually, all said and done, I never had good luck on any site, paid or not. You end up seeing the same people on all the sites after a while, and paying to be on one wasnt any better than the free ones.

I downloaded and tried Bumble once, it was strange. As a woman I dont always want to "make the first move." It felt awkward. It's nice to be "approached" sometimes. Flipping thru men's faces like playing cards just doesnt work for me.
 Canelas19
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2018 8:59:58 AM
For dating in general if I like someone he doesn't like me, if he likes me I don't like him, or he lives too far, or doesn't like women, or he has a wife/girlfriend, is not over his ex, or just wants to play. Dating is hard. However OLD gives you the chance to meet more people that you wouldn't meet in other circumstances. Although you need to be very extra careful and weed out the liar, cheaters, players and wolves in sheep's clothing. I've met some very good guys, then that elusive chemistry ruins everything, but I never expected to be easy.
 julystorm7
Msg: 119
Posted: 4/9/2018 9:18:37 AM
Canelas19, I completely agree with you word for word.

I would honestly love to try speed-dating. I think chances of meeting someone would be much better because you are presented with looks, chemistry and personality right up front. Rather than this online nonsense of trying to find someone to talk to, developing a rapore but then knowing two minutes into meeting them in person you just aren't attracted.
 blackbeauty744
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2018 4:48:45 PM
I have tried:

Tinder
Match
OKC
POF
eHarmony

I received the most activity on POF and it was the most user friendly.
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2018 6:50:42 PM

However OLD gives you the chance to meet more people that you wouldn't meet in other circumstances.

Only if those involved (especially women nowadays) actually participate in the process as fully as they used to years ago.

I've met some very good guys, then that elusive chemistry ruins everything,

What, exactly, about the "chemistry" is not good enough, if these are such "very good guys"?

Do you mean they are intelligent, personable, kind, chivalrous, etc. , but they LOOK like Quasimodo?
 purplerider1200
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2018 7:35:57 PM
None really. I got more off of Our Time, but I found out fast very few ever wanted to meet. The cost was too prohibitive, and I wasn't interested in paying for a lot messages, but no meets. Most were too far away, anyway.
 Kissfromarose77
Msg: 123
Posted: 4/9/2018 7:42:21 PM
No ways, it doesn’t work. I just got a message on my Bumble account, but the lady stopped responding when I told her I’m a blue collar worker.
 hey_suze
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2018 11:18:07 AM
What, exactly, about the "chemistry" is not good enough, if these are such "very good guys"?

Do you mean they are intelligent, personable, kind, chivalrous, etc. , but they LOOK like Quasimodo?

fullmoon.....surely chemistry doesn’t need to be explained. Iv had dates with plenty of nice normal witty good looking blokes, but there is no chemistry, no little pull, no something to say that this man is different from all the other nice men and I know I want something to come of this....
 HanoverFella
Msg: 125
Posted: 4/10/2018 11:37:54 AM
Is Match and OurTime basically the same site, I almost bought a subscription to OurTime, but per normal I googled the reviews of the site, and decided against...anyone on here have anything good to say on certain paid sites??
Thanks in advance
 mikeparkin2
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2018 1:28:21 PM
You have only sent out 100 emails in a year ?
I probably send out 10,000 in a year and rarely get replies.

Unless you look like Brad Pitt, are 6 foot, full head of hair and lean they just aren't interested in you on here.
I blame TV where the female always gets the best looking bloke.
I would suggest its time for people to get real and settle or you will die old and very lonely.
 Canelas19
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2018 3:37:59 PM
I agree. There are some things, qualities, features, characteristics about people that just can't be seen in pictures or described with words. I've been with guys that objectively were not "my type" but was attracted to them due to other characteristics that grabbed my attention.

Canelas19, I completely agree with you word for word.

I would honestly love to try speed-dating. I think chances of meeting someone would be much better because you are presented with looks, chemistry and personality right up front. Rather than this online nonsense of trying to find someone to talk to, developing a rapore but then knowing two minutes into meeting them in person you just aren't attracted.

Sexual attraction and/or personal compatibility. Met some good lucking guys with nice personalities, with whom I just didn't connect. Different ideas, goals, life style, intentions, etc...

This exactly >>>

fullmoon.....surely chemistry doesn’t need to be explained. Iv had dates with plenty of nice normal witty good looking blokes, but there is no chemistry, no little pull, no something to say that this man is different from all the other nice men and I know I want something to come of this....
 julystorm7
Msg: 128
Posted: 4/10/2018 8:38:48 PM
I've explained the concept of attraction on another thread so I'll skip that here. Let me explain chemistry. It's that feeling you get when you just like someone. You might get a little nervous. You might start to daydream about them when they aren't around. For those who have felt it with someone, you just know. Its just like when you were in high school and developed a crush on someone.

I am constantly around guys in real life that I feel attracted to. Probably half of guys from 20 to 45 I would definitely say that is the case for. Just walking around Wal-Mart you don't want to know my thoughts. My mind is pretty boy crazy these days. I wish I could get into an environment where I could actually get to hang around men in real life.
 south_city
Msg: 129
Posted: 4/10/2018 9:50:34 PM
I have mostly used Match and POF. With a little bit of Tinder and Bumble. Although there are jerks, flakes, liars, cheaters etc on every OLD website/app, I had relatively better success on Match. I got more emails and dates along with a couple of short term relationships on Match.

I had some matches on Tinder and Bumble. But most of my matches wouldn't contact me or they will do the disappearing act after a few emails. POF was somewhat similar. Whenever I did get emails from women, the majority of them also did the disappearing act after a few emails.
 sundress1
Msg: 130
Posted: 4/11/2018 6:54:28 AM
I'm not a fan of internet dating in general. I prefer meeting and dating people the traditional ways.
 CBGB77
Msg: 131
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2018 7:45:04 AM

Posted By: julystorm7 on 4/10/2018 1048 PM
Subject: Does plenty of fish really work for you compared to other dating sites?
Message: I've explained the concept of attraction on another thread so I'll skip that here. Let me explain chemistry. It's that feeling you get when you just like someone. You might get a little nervous. You might start to daydream about them when they aren't around. For those who have felt it with someone, you just know. Its just like when you were in high school and developed a crush on someone.

That is just how I feel about the girl I am dating now. I met her her on POF in February and I have a real crush on her. We have gone on 6 dates since then,always on a Friday night. At the end of each date we just hug before we say good night.Haven't tried to kiss her yet but yesterday I asked her what she wanted to do this Friday and she said "How about something low key,gets some take-out and watch a movie at my house?" Oh! be still my beating Heart.
 julystorm7
Msg: 132
Posted: 4/11/2018 1:22:10 PM
Aw CBGB77, I'm happy for you. That's such a great stage of dating to be in. Good luck with it.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2018 6:33:18 PM
CBG, I don't want to be crude with this beautiful developing relationship, but to play it safe, put on your best skivvies☺ Maybe get new ones. I'm glad things are going great! There is something to be said for taking your time and building excitement and enjoying anticipation. Have you two decided on a movie?

It sure is nice to see someone from here dating and enjoying themselves❤
 CBGB77
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2018 7:47:10 AM

Posted By: julystorm7 on 4/11/2018 310 PM
Subject: Does plenty of fish really work for you compared to other dating sites?
Message: Aw CBGB77, I'm happy for you. That's such a great stage of dating to be in. Good luck with it.

Posted By: Newyorker58 on 4/11/2018 818 PM
Message: CBG, I don't want to be crude with this beautiful developing relationship, but to play it safe, put on your best skivvies☺ Maybe get new ones. I'm glad things are going great! There is something to be said for taking your time and building excitement and enjoying anticipation. Have you two decided on a movie?

Thanks so much! We haven't decided on a movie yet. She said I could bring one or watch watch one of her DVDs. Any suggestions? She doesn't like horror movies.Films we watched together at theater were:The Post,Wonder and Ready Player One.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2018 4:55:00 PM
"The Imitation Game" was excellent, drama, biography, Benedict Cumberbatch: http://www.imdb.com/title/ttc08497

"Captain Phillips", drama, Tom Hanks: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1535109/?ref_=nv_sr_1

"Identity Thief", comedy, Jason Bateman, Melissa McCarthy, : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2024432/?ref_=nv_sr_1

"Bad Words", comedy, Jason Bateman: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2170299/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_16

You may not want to watch something you'd love to see, because at this stage, you may end up doing a bit of chatting and canoodling during the movie. Could be why she's mentioning watching one of her dvds she's seen already.

A nice touch would be to bring a bag of popcorn or a container of ice cream or if you know her (& your) preferred movie candy or any combination there of.
 CBGB77
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2018 5:43:30 PM

Posted By: Newyorker58 on 4/12/2018 600 PM
Message: "The Imitation Game" was excellent, drama, biography, Benedict Cumberbatch: http://www.imdb.com/title/ttc08497

"Captain Phillips", drama, Tom Hanks: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1535109/?ref_=nv_sr_1

"Identity Thief", comedy, Jason Bateman, Melissa McCarthy, : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2024432/?ref_=nv_sr_1

"Bad Words", comedy, Jason Bateman: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2170299/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_16

You may not want to watch something you'd love to see, because at this stage, you may end up doing a bit of chatting and canoodling during the movie. Could be why she's mentioning watching one of her dvds she's seen already.

A nice touch would be to bring a bag of popcorn or a container of ice cream or if you know her (& your) preferred movie candy or any combination there of.

Thanks for all the suggestions NY58! I will look for those movies at the library near my house tomorrow. Good idea about popcorn,we always share a tub at the theater and I have some bags at home. Only things I have to worry about now are:
1)Tomorrow is Friday The 13th and 2) there is a "Winter Storm Warning" for Minneapolis which begins at 10pm tomorrow night. 8-12 inches of Ice and Snow are expected. I wouldn't mind getting snowed in but I have to get back to feed the cats.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2018 6:43:39 PM
I chose movies that don't contain topics to argue over, and with little sexuality. You can go online for your library and see what they have, and put whatever on hold, just like with books. But also like with books, some are at other libraries and have to be ordered in advance to be transported. The most current movies can be a 3 month wait. If things don't pan out with the library, there's always Redbox or it sounds like she has a lot of choices at her home.

The 13th is my lucky number, and it may end up being yours too!☺

Personally, I don't think I'd want to get snowed in, because the next day may be too hazardous for driving. If you don't mind driving in it, you can leave out extra food and water. It would work unless you have cats that would eat it all at one time. Mention the weather, and thinking to start the night early, like 7pm or so, giving you 5 hrs to hang out. Snow shouldn't be too bad until after midnight. If you do leave before it gets too nasty, it's okay to leave her wanting more☺
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >