Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Black velvet 46
Msg: 10
How do you evaluate other people?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I have never really look at other as a numbe. There really is too many other factors involved in deciding just how attractive the opposite sex is.

People that judge others like that are pretty shallow and usually are not all that themselves.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 13
How do you evaluate other people?
Posted: 3/26/2008 1:48:41 PM
I remember when I lived in China there was pretty much a Rule of 2 -- mates shouldn't be more than 2 years apart, their parents shouldn't be more than 2 pay scales apart, looks shouldn't be 2 far apart. etc.

One day on Chang An Jie, there was some construction, and we all got herded into this two foot wide area been the road and the construction, and going was very slow. Just in front of me was an obvious couple, and I was struck how very odd they were: he was tall and very good looking, she was short, homely, and dumpy. When we finally cleared the bottleneck and could walk normally again, I realized what the pair off had been: he was badly crippled. Didn't seem to matter to them: they were clearly in love! Everybody there was a 10. . . .

And, oh yeah, I'm in love with a 10, who at me like I'm a 12. . . .

ItsMargo
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2008 2:32:32 PM
So, let me see... if you're a 7 when you're single, you'd be what a 7.5 if you're with someone? So, a B to a B+
Do we bell curve this?

I evaluate on Artistic Merit and Technical Prowess.
But I'm kinda partial to the freestyle events.

My brother started dating a while back... I suggested he use a numeric system.
...Lick the back of his credit card and slap it on his forehead.

I hand them a questionnaire and ask them to return it to me by the end of the night.

oh my no, you need to set a time limit on it to even up the odds.
 StraTegicCHef
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2008 10:48:42 PM

I tie them up and throw them in the river. If they float, they are evil and must be burned at the stake. If they drown, oh well, they were innocent. I learned this technique from witch trials.

Lol...there is an easier method- if they float they are witches, so they would weigh the same as wood; since wood floats. Wood is expensive, but ducks float as well so the girl, if she is a witch, and wood should weigh the same as a duck. So throw the girl on a scale with a duck on the other side- if they weigh the same- then she is a witch...Now you just need to burn her before she escapes. ;)
 Green Sangha
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2008 6:36:50 AM
I don't give people a number to rate their looks or personality. When I look at a photo, either something about the person draws me in or not. It sure isn't about some ideal of attractiveness, although each of us finds people attractive-enough or not, but that isn't about some ideal. It is about the peculiar and unique set of cues that each of us respond to. Some of it is learned by our culture, a lot of it is learned as we are growing up based on the people we encounter, and, sure, some of it is biological. But in the end, I am drawn to a wide variety of men, different body styles, different types of faces and expressions.

After the initial impression from a photo something else kicks in: how I feel when I am sitting in a room with a man; the sound of his voice and how it resonates with me; the flow of the conversation and whether it is easy, forced, competitive, or stimulating; the way my body reacts chemically which isn't really under my control; whether his face is animated when he talks or placid; whether he seems to have a certain energy a sense of self. Lots of things go into my evaluation of whether I want to continue a conversation with a man.
 YingKissesYang
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2008 7:49:02 AM
what do you think when you hear other people use The Scale, as an objective measure of the person?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I only use the numerical 1-10 scale tongue in cheek, and never to compare them to me because most women are 3-4 digits ahead. I'm still looking for that "PERFECT 4".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: Starhuhuh? I clicked on your your rate my picture profile link, but it says 'no'. If you are shy, post some more pics, and blot out your eyes with big red spots, and show more cleavage the guys at work won't know its you. Then I'LL VOTE YOU TEN! And if you had a paypal clink...You would be rich! Who ever said being superficial was easy doesn't know what they are talking about...
 packagedealx3
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2008 3:24:33 PM
I am too much a people person to use a scale for several reasons. It is highly subjective. I imagine that you have to assign someone a number when you do not even know them, so can you reassign their value if you find that though they may be a 6 in looks they are a 9 in personality? Do you have multiple scales and have to find the median, mean and mode in order to determine the person's overall datability?

Here is my scale. If they are reasonably attractive they get to stay in the running. If their intelligence, wit, kindness and other character traits are engaging and keep me interested, they stay in my dating pool. If they show no signs of crap I don't want to deal with like jealousy, off the charts insecurity, emotional neediness out the kazoo, they stay in my dating pool.

I don't think I would want to be around someone that assigns others numbers and I can't imagine anyone appreciating being thought of as a commodity to that degree. It is insulting and I think generally indicative of a really jaded view about life because even if someone includes attributes in their ranking, it is just retarded and seems geared toward those that see someone and think he or she is out of my league.

The problem with your hypothetical Deuce, is that you are told they are exactly the same and one looks better than the other. Now, if I am interviewing an employee and everything appears the same and one has a better command of the English language, that one is getting the job. The only problem with that is that I might find later that this person may speak well but be a real bitch to work with. Perhaps the other person would have worked better with others.

I'm sure that most people would pick the good looking person everything else the same but your post also said that you are told they are the same in all other ways. Each individual interacts with other individuals uniquely. That is why you and a friend may meet a third person at exactly the same time and one of you thinks he/she is great the other, not so much. Are they different people? They probably do act somewhat differently and the person they are interacting with is different too. I have also found that rarely do you find people that do not do something or many things to take them from the regard you first held them in to the I don't want them in my life or I'll love them anyway point.

The scale system is stupid because it could never be static and from that respect, how helpful is it and do you keep using it because you get your rocks off if you think you are with a 9? No personal slight intended but why do you require a numeric system to decide whether a person's good qualities outweigh the bad?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >