Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sweetsue49
Msg: 6
Reverend Wright slurs ItaliansPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Interesting topic. Double standards have existed, well, forever. And I'm afraid, will be around forever.

My father was Italian and Irish. My mother is half African American and half Polish..

Does that make me a "nappy headed, garlic nosed, beer swilling, potatoe eater who can't tell up from down?

Sure would look good on a resume.
 RadioFreeSpike
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Reverend Wright slurs Italians
Posted: 3/30/2008 11:52:20 AM
"I think that all those people on welfare and "Benefits Checks" should have to do a drug test before getting their check"

Only if this includes CORPORATE welfare.
("I don't care if you ARE the Chairman of General Electric,
('') you still have to whiz in this cup!")
 oddandy
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/30/2008 3:16:26 PM
I'm curious as to how his defenders are going to explain that talking about Italians and their "garlic noses" is really just the good Reverend venting frustration over inequality for blacks in America, and how it's not at all racist or hateful.
 oddandy
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/30/2008 3:33:38 PM
^^Yes. Just google "garlic noses."
 IndigoPanda
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Reverend Wright hates America?
Posted: 4/28/2008 9:22:40 PM
The Rev Wright hates America. Why? Because there is money and power to be made in that kind of thinking. What the Rev Wright says may sound crazy, like the HIV virus was introduced by the US government to kill blacks. Now if you know your history, you would know when this virus(disease) first appeared it was called GRIDS, for Gay Related Immunity Disease Syndrome, but the truth never sells well.

Did you hear his Detriot NCAAP speech or his comments yesterday in Washington defending that speech? Well if not, the Rev Wright re-enforces negative racial sterotypes. One would think he is sometimes either part of the KKK (close your eyes and listen to him talk), or a terrorist leader (his church does support Hamas) or part of the white men can not jump crowd. If I was in his church, I would be shocked by what he has said, and would have left it long ago.

The Rev Wright is a gifted speaker, but the message he preaches is one of hate and conspiracy. In the 1930's there was another gifted speaker like this, who led the world to ruin. What the world needs is another preacher like Martin Luther King, Jr, who preached about unity, love, justice, individual and societial greatness. The world lost a great man, and we are stuck with a flim-flam hate-monger like the Rev Wright.

Okay quick joke I heard: The Rev Wright suffers from Compulsive Talking. He needs to join the support group Onandon..
 IndigoPanda
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Reverend Wright hates America?
Posted: 4/28/2008 10:07:00 PM
I listened to the speech, twice...as well as his comments today. I think you must have been listening to something else....cuz I don't see how it could have been the same speech

Did you miss the part about how the Rev Wrights says Blacks and Whites have different Brain structures, so Black students can not control themselves or learn from books? I would have thought in this day and age, a learned scholar and preacher like the Rev Wright would not use old worn racist sterotypes and say that blacks are not as good as white. This sounds like something the KKK would say.

Did you miss the Rev Wright saying(singing) Glory Glory Hallelujah, that white people clap differently than black people to this song because white people got no rhythm?

All it is, is one negative racial sterotype after another. I do not see how people put up with this guy??? How do you explain his support of Hamas. Hamas is a terrorist group. Terrorists like to kill innocent people.
 Rythmn
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2008 12:22:30 AM
before the 60's civil rights amendments, our federal legislation allowed mortgages to be given to "white" people. thus people of color were not allowed after WW II to get the thirty year low interest mortages that their white fellow soldiers were granted. what was interesting was that white varied by state. many states tried to stop sicilians and eastern europeans from getting these mortgages by saying they were not white, therefore "colored". an asian man in CA tried to prove he was "white" in the courts, because you either were white or you were not, as per the mortgage qualifications.

over time, to prove they were white, many of the darker italians turned against the african americans. you know, divide and conquer. in areas where there is now mixed ethnicity and where both groups have thrived (new jersey comes to mind), many italian and african american politicians and leaders, whose grandparents fought this divide, will sit and talk about it. time healed. some areas are still evolving and have not gotten to experience this sort of healing. i consulted for one hospital that was traditionally jewish, with a quietly regarded ex mob boss on the board, that was trying very hard to reach it's african american constituency and address the health issues of all three diverse cultures. it was a great project and i'm told it is still thriving. again, time heals.

i am also not politically correct. if i were back home, the comment would have been loudly put down by all three groups as out of the boonies! but then again, so many white churches where no black face dares to tread and that worries no one? here where i live one of the african american churches has reached out to bi-racial families (we are one) and the other has not. kind of like the few remaining jews, in comparison to other ethnic groups, some struggle to remain whole and hang onto tradition, whereas others seek to unite. but, being a member of a church that is all white and christian to date, has not seemed to bother anyone, whereas obama does? i can wince every time i think of the remarks i've heard in all white christian churches against non christians and also in supposed liberal churches against traditional christian churches. so? i get over it. i know politics and economics would not fare well, if an elected official only advocated for his/her church!

as to obama's minister, my bet is he's now working for hilary! politics knows no boundaries.
 darjeeling
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2008 9:11:31 AM
EDIT: Formatting Error. I'll try this again in a bit.

But while I'm here ... Good Post (immediately above) ... Nomad.
There is no thumbs up in edit ... but if there were, you would have gotten one.
 darjeeling
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2008 9:27:19 AM
Oh Lord.
I watched Reverend Wright's NAACP speech and I agree he is condescending, and I didn't think the 'different is not deficient' theme was all that edifying, and instinctively knew it would not play well to the American mainstream.

Frankly, I would hope that his spiritual themes as pastor have reached loftier plateaus than this, otherwise I might be inclined to disqualify Obama for sitting in a UCC pew, on the grounds of being intellectually unchallenged while bored.

But in due regard, and equally pedantic, for someone who calls themselves MikeTheWriter ... one might expect a more careful reverence and regard for words.

It blows my mind how the same people who condemn others for racist speech will blow off what others say because of their agenda. This quote from Wright was not an endearing quote. It was using a racial stereotype to insult an entire ethnic group. It is the equivalent of nappy headed hose. If we are going to condemn people for what they say then it should be ALL people or NONE. I'm very tired of the ad hominem argument of checking who said it before we go on the attack or choose to ignore a person's statements.

First off, judging by the content of your statements on this issue Mike, I think you might consider dropping the 'W' and adding 'gh' ... as an exercise of truth in advertising: MikeTheRighter. Because at bottom, all you are really doing with the similar bombastic style of Jeremiah Wright himself, is making an appeal that we all might become strict adherents to Political Correctness in speech.

And that MikeTheWriter, is something I abhor ... well, abhor might be a tad too strong, but with you being a wordsmith and all, I'm guessing you will get what I mean.

If you are scratching your head Mike, which I suspect you might be due your inexact articulation to words, is that absent all your bombast and the faux injured stance; like a basketball player hamming it up for the ref; is that the whole of your opening statement might only apply if a racist statement has actually occurred.

You say: " It is the equivalent of nappy headed hose." (being a nitpicker by nature, that should be 'hoes' Mike)

So then, NO. It is NOT.

Allow me to illustrate. 'Nappy headed' is indeed equivalent to 'garlic noses' ... generalizations yes, stereotypes both, and perhaps inappropriate, but not actually racist observations unless one wants to get all PC about such things, which I don't.

It's in the second part where you go way off the rails ... because: 'looked down their garlic noses' is not actually an insult but an observation, perhaps not a particularly kind observation, but still an observation that might be challenged, or debated as to factual accuracy; to wit, xNerox has done admirably well in attesting to a historical truth.

Whereas: 'Nappy headed hoes' by Imus was specifically insulting to the women on the Rutger's basketball team, as it suggested: By defnition ... is corrupted by lewd intercourse, prostitutes: women who engage in sex for money or other consideration.

So, until we start hearing a bunch-a-gangsta-rapping-thugs rhyming about 'Those hoes, they was looking down they nose' ... and it somehow becoming commonly understood as a lascivious invitation to some 'jungle love' ... well I don't believe we have any basis to argue equivalence. Not at all.

Understanding the distinction though, requires one to have a rudimentary understanding, appreciation, and respect for, an exactness of words. Unless, of course, ones purpose is merely to feign injury, and you know, 'ham it all up' for the crowd.

Caw
 darjeeling
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2008 3:11:47 PM
Regarding Louis Farakan and the Nation of Islam ... it will be quite unpopular to say so, but I have a huge respect for them actually, even though I might disagree strongly with some of their analysis and or specifics of their platform, they have accomplished a tremendous amount of good within the black community.

What's funny though is that the folks that will condemn them the most are the very ones that will then in the next breath complain about welfare and lack of personal responsibility within the black community, and then see no discongruence in their position.

And if we're going to base things on fact, Farakan has been right a lot more, than wrong.

I remember back around the time of the Million Man March, I was working on a job where they all had their radios tuned to Rush Limbaugh everyday, anyway for about a week Rush went on and on about what a nut case he thought Farakan was, based on a speech that Farakan had given somewhere. In which Farakan maintained that the layout and the architecture of the Nation's capital, its monuments and buildings were designed under, and influenced by Masonic principals, and made commentaries about the connections between the Founders and the Masons, and what that all implied.

Anyway, as I said Limbaugh went on and on about it for days, playing clips of the speech and then mocking it all, very much like how the media is acting now in regard to Rev Wright, and laughing about it all, and frequently pointing out how ridiculous Farakan was, in comparison to how clever and perceptive he, himself, Rush, was.

By the end of the week I thought Farakan was a wack job too; then years later I discovered that all the symbolism in the architecture and the street lay out, that Farakan had talked about, it was all true, it had been heavily influenced by Masonic concept and design, and there was a strong connection between the Masons and the Founding Fathers, because many of them were Masons.

Caw
 Hozo
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2008 6:46:27 PM
It's in the second part where you go way off the rails ... because: 'looked down their garlic noses' is not actually an insult but an observation, perhaps not a particularly kind observation, but still an observation that might be challenged, or debated as to factual accuracy; .....

Well, then, using your logic, my observation is that this sorry-assed flat-nosed racist should stop flapping his big niqqer lips.

Hey!! its an observation...not a racist insult, remember??

It is funny how you cannot type the "N" word, but you can type almost every Italian slur on here. Amazing.

You are obviously not Italian, or even remotely Mediterranean. Please do NOT speak for us.
Vada dormire`.
 Mr. Raitano
Msg: 39
Posted: 5/15/2008 5:32:56 PM
Rev Wright plus many other groups of people must think it is open season on Italians. Making comments towards us...most likely out of pure jealously. Hilary Clinton is also anti Italian with the comments she makes yet goes and makes a commercial just like the ending from the show the Sopranos. Um ok.

And sorry, no.....the only time it is acceptable is when it is said by other Italians. Just because some people love to eat at Italian restaurants seems to make them think they have the go ahead to use our words and call us names. Unacceptable.

Italians should take up a national class action law suit with the help of the NIAF and the Sons of Italy against him on the grounds of hate speech, not that the courts would hear it.
 darjeeling
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2008 7:29:26 PM
Look Mike, I'll repeat myself, one more time.

Your whole post is merely one of feigned injury, and your argument is lame.

To infer that Itallians like garlic, use garlic, and eat garlic, OMG lets call out the thought police.

Italians have been insulted by a black man, what an outrage, and what a hypocrisy, that society allows such blatant racism by enforcing the vile stereotype that Italians are garlic eaters.

Vile, I say, vile.

There, is that better Mike, was I sufficiently outraged?

darjy
 Mr. Raitano
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/21/2008 1:40:43 PM
Ok here is a video of the Clintons who are Anti Italian this video is good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ93RPoNZss

He didn't mention some of the other comments that Hillary made years ago back in NYC to some Italian America senator calling him an offensive name yet she was allowed to get away with it.

Yeah but see like goombah, I think that goes for the East Coast that means a good friend among Italian Americans but considered a slur when used by non Italian Americans.

Anyway. I don't like the Clintons, even before their remarks came out, just watch the video.
 italone1
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/12/2008 6:40:14 PM
As a first generation American-Italian, I was offended by Rev Wrights comments, but more offended by the double standard in the media. I will say that statements like this are usually from uncultured and bigoted people. Black liberal theology is not Christ centered with forgiving your enemy...but mainly on anti-rich whites and the oppression they hold over the black race. They believe that Christ was a champion for the poor and oppressed which he is but they have taken that to mold into "their" theology. Having said all that, Obama was a very close friend of this man for 20 years. This leads me to believe the liberal media is willing to look the other way to Obama's choices on character. I can assure you, if McCain's spiritual leader made such comments, it would still be on the front page. Take it for what its worth, Wrights comments were hateful, and it shows an even greater sadness coming from a so called man of the cloth.
 eeeo4U
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2008 8:46:45 AM
McCain refused the endorsement of Hagee around the same time that Obama disavowed Wright. I guess the truth is that the Roman Empire did order the crucifixion of Christ, who was a Judean Jew and not a black man, I say again, but offered the Jews a choice between him and the murderer/thief Barabbas. The Jews chose to free Barabbas and Pontius Pilate declared that he had executed an innocent man. Black Liberation Theology is wrong in just so many ways that a little prejudice against those of Italian descent (and Italian is no more a race than Hispanic) is only par for the course...perhaps on the level of Jesse Jackson's "Hymie" comments...
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  >