Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
What would you give up for true love?Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
^^^ ROFLMAO..!!!
 bucsgirl
Msg: 6
What would you give up for true love?
Posted: 3/28/2008 3:31:45 PM
I tried giving up my sanity and common sense. Since that didn't work out too well, not gonna do that again!

The right love would not ask me to give anything up.
There's a real answer.

Love should add to your life, not take away.
 ShadowLands
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2008 3:35:32 PM
I shouldn't have to give up anything. If she really loves me she will accept me and everything about me. And vice-versa.
 qriosity
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2008 3:53:05 PM
Hmm...I'd give up:

Rico Suave, Carlos, Antwon, "H"oratio with the "H"urricane tongue, Jim, Bob, Dyk (they CENSORED the other spelling), Whack-Jack, Sue (yes, even her), Candie (not the one with the 'y'), Big Bubba, Henrietta-formerly-known-as-Henry, Peter's pecker, Enrique, Frederique, Alexandros, Chan-da-Man, Dilbert (although, I'd tax his pocket-protector), Raj(whose tongue can roll the 'r' like no other), !Xobile....and to all the ones I've missed, and, for true love, will continue to miss.

[psst! call me...Holla!]
 kensar
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/28/2008 5:29:04 PM
There shouldn't have to be anything you have to give up for true love. It should come naturally.
 outlawtomboy
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/29/2008 5:57:16 AM
give up??? certainly not one of my toesies (i really like sandals) or much of anything else. what would be the point if both parties aren't gaining?

now......working together for a common goal? that's just a natural process
 ~rain~
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2008 8:02:07 AM
I wouldnt give up anything...

The person who falls in love with me..will accept me for who I am now. (faults and all)
Just as I will accept them! We will grow together..withouth having to give anything up.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2008 8:23:59 AM
I suspect MrSnapHappy meant otherwise x_file.
I think he meant love is in you and is expressed outwards to other people. Not that it comes from someone outside of you and is expressed inward to you.
That would be in alignment with his other posts.

What would I give up? My solitude.
What would I give? Everything and nothing. And it is usually the bits of nothing that are everything.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 51
Posted: 3/29/2008 10:40:23 AM
The idea of someone giving up their ego (as in self esteem) is disturbing.

The concept of love your neighbor as you love yourself, even the Golden Rule, is based on self love first. We learn to love and care for others by loving ourselves first.

If you give that up, then you lose yourself and that's never a healthy thing and will not lead to a healthy relationship. If you can't maintain an intact self esteem in a relationship what is it of yourself you have to give? If you have no self esteem you are empty and have nothing to offer.

If I can't be with someone and still be 100% myself, then I won't go there. And same for the other person. That is part of what leads to dependency, clingyness and neediness. I will only be with another whole person, not a shell.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2008 10:52:29 AM

The idea of someone giving up their ego (as in self esteem) is disturbing.

How did I manage to self-appoint myself to explaining other people's words today?
(Forgive me people, I am trying extra hard to avoid my work today.)

Bucs, I think it was Lavinia10 who said this earlier in the thread. I don't think she meant it as losing self-esteem. More along the lines of giving up self-importance, the need to be right, the self-protective posturing we do out of fear - the ego related stuff that gets in the way of really relating with someone.

Self esteem is related to self love rather than ego or importance.

The idea of giving up one's ego to love is not anywhere near the idea of low self-esteem. Ego being that part of us which keeps us separate, you would naturally let yours lapse when in love. It is like taking off your clothes to have sex.

Brilliant. Dayum, I am never concise. I have concise-envy.
 plainguy
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2008 11:34:57 AM
If you are getting 'True Love" you are not giving up anything worth while. What more could one want than true love? If you can have that, then there is nothing in your life that you could miss. Not a very hard answer to have huh?
 Black velvet 46
Msg: 61
Posted: 3/29/2008 11:41:08 AM
I would give up jello. Yep i would give up eating jello once every 20 or so years.
 dojero
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2008 1:02:52 PM
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

There is only one happiness in life; to love and to be loved: George Sand

Therefore my friends...love should not cost nor should love be bought...
 betterlate
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2008 3:53:06 PM
That is a great statement by Sir Barrie, and very true.
I would give up Ben & Jerrys Ice Cream, (current source of seratonin, normally supplied by being in love) then I would lose all excess poundages, then I would please my new love by becoming (physically) who I was before some of the hardtimes in my life, I would also give up material things, as I did find out that they have little importance and bring little joy without someone wonderful to expierence it with.

BL
 mr.amoree
Msg: 98
Posted: 4/7/2008 5:22:59 PM
if it's true love, never ending love then.... it is priceless and no amount of sacrifice is too much. how i would love to feel that.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >