Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 feeltobefree
Msg: 8
Zeitgeist: The MoviePage 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Of course this just goes back at pointing fingers and rather than finding out the truth, digging facts and checking references we resort to the unbelievable and passing anything offered as fairy tale stories.

I read the review prior to watching the movie and as it stands the review hardly offers anything other than opinion. Shall we rest the entire validity of Zeitgeist from this review on boingo boingo. UH NO!

However should we use Zeitgeist as the bible for a mass revolt? Of course not.

I watched it and I was amused and even if a part of it were true, its scary enough.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Zeitgeist: The Movie
Posted: 3/31/2008 7:20:41 PM

Anytime a "documentary" makes huge world changing claims you have to ask yourself some questions about the authenticity of its research.
I have to agree with CharlesEdm on this one. I've watched it all. Although there is much to be claimed, it would be much more authentic if someone had just posted it all into Wikipedia, and provided proper sources on all of it, which we could all research.

When you look at the claims, in order, it starts to build up a clear picture:
1) Religion is just a form of social control.
2) 9/11 and other such disasters were engineered, also as a form of social control.
3) The ones who are engineering such social controls, are the International Bankers, the "capitalists".

Considering that Karl Marx wrote that religion was "invented" as the tool of the "capitalists", and for that reason, religion must be abolished in order to remove such tools of oppressive capitalists, it really starts to sound like Zeitgeist is a movie that seems to go in the same direction as Marx, that being Communism, and a Communism that must be enforced on others, because we are too sheepish to challenge the status quo.

I don't know about you, but I don't want the UK to become a regime like the U.S.S.R. It wasn't that nice when it was around for the Russians. I doubt it would be that nice for us Brits.

But I might have felt differently if it was separate films, with good sources, and positive conclusions about the world.
 Singlemaltgirl
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/1/2008 12:13:07 AM
i have to confess i couldn't watch the movie as it wouldn't play. all i got was a message on my screen that said something to the effect that "google" was blocking it somehow and the web site guys were working on a work around.

however, based on the review and what other people are saying, it sounds like a lot of re-hashed rheoteric that isn't new b/c people have been writing and talking about this stuff for quite some time. modern financial systems? read noam chomsky. want to know that christianity is just a re-working of pagan traditions and that christ was really the new incarnation of the son of the sun god? read tom harpur's the pagan christ. 9/11 conspiracies? i think michael moore asked a lot of the relevant questions even if you don't buy all of his conclusions.

there's no doubt that most of western civilisation is built on some level of complicity - we're often comfortable with traditions and some sort of social order and dislike the idea of chaos.

while conspiracy theorists raise great questions, i think we have to be careful about throwing the baby out with the bathwater. religion does serve a purpose when taken with the view that we have a social responsibility to care for each other. modern financial systems can and do help a capitalist system continue to churn and like it or not, our economic system is based on social capitalism...and as for 9/11?? who knows other than there are plenty of questions about what happened on that fateful day.

i don't dismiss ct's since i think healthy skepticism is a good thing and you should question what you believe and why you believe it. but they are simply theories and until proven are simply that....
 CountIbli
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/1/2008 7:52:37 PM

Well I can tell you it's theology sucks, and I'm an Atheist, so I have no attachment to any aspect of the bible.

The movie does make some interesting observations on Christianity and astrotheology, but most of the claims in it are pure bunk. I've seen numerous Atheists use it as a basis for attacks against Christian dogma and theology, but the claims in the film are so easily demolished that it makes Atheists look bad.
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2008 12:32:14 AM
will download the torrent sometime soon and have a look at it and make up my own mind, not need people to do it for me :)
 flyguy51
Msg: 30
Posted: 4/21/2008 10:44:49 AM
I watched this engaging film quite awhile ago. World events make so much more sense now, but I found it dissappointing for these reasons:

1. It did not show how to construct an effective tinfoil hat
2. It did not show which guns are best to use against Jews

Worst of all, for the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" argument:

3. It did not show how one can join this well-documented "elite" to get a cut of the action
 silvertoneFTW!
Msg: 32
Posted: 4/23/2008 11:51:56 PM
I believe conspiracy theorists think they are way smarter than they actually are.
 acm007
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2008 5:08:03 PM

Even without the religious overtones and anti-Christian aspect, the conspiracy angle (world bankers/elites etc.) is the same as other videos and different authors have expressed similar content. When the same thing is being expressed by different authors, you have to consider it's accurate especially considering varying sources.

Ever heard "tell a lie long enough and big enough and it will become the truth...", or some such thing as that. That was, like, Heinrik Himler or Rudolph Hess or one of those nice Nazi fellas... Anyone ever heard of Josef Stalin? Big time liar and butcher...

Believing whatever you want doesn't make it right or true.

pr0x
Msg: 36
Posted: 4/24/2008 5:49:46 PM
Zeitgeist..... it most literally means 'time ghost', or as commonly used 'spirit of the generation'
Whenever I see someone post a thread about that waste of hard drive space I want to claw my eyes out. It seems to be the banner of those who would claim to be independent thinkers while all the while sucking the electric teat of Alex Jones' disinformation and conspiracy agenda.
The movie in and of itself is not dangerous as anyone with half a brain can see it for all of it's flawed arguments, circular logic, and self supporting statements, what makes it such a problem is the fact that most who watch it are teenagers in the peak of that rebellious phase most of us try to forget. For the record, I am agnostic, I find the religious section to be hilariously fictional reconstructionism posing as a documentary. I could give two squirts of piss about the 9/11 or banker stuff as neither are of any concern to anyone. When you weigh the arguments for 9/11 or "the elite" against the sword of logic and reason, they are found much wanting. If I ever meet the guy who made that movie I am going to beat him to within an inch of his grandchildren's life. It should be illegal to propagate ignorance.

Sic Semper Inscitia
 natural energy
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2008 8:42:38 PM
Yes, this movie has been the centre of many threads here on POF ..... but, I see these thread have been deleted ........... I guess there is no archival access of threads here on POF!

As I said in the previous threads on this topic ..........

The conspiracy theory outlined in the film criticizes the propaganda of the "state" and "money kings", yet uses an extreme propogandish style to deliver its message ........

I found it very distasteful and unbelievable simply in the method of delivery of its message, let alone the absurd theories outlined in the film.

Yes, somehow I lasted to view the whole film over a year ago ....... curiosity .... at how far the film would go.

Where were the credits for its sources of information?

.. I am amazed at how many believe what they see in this film in the manner it was delivered.

..... It certainly does show how easy it is to lead the blind!
Ironic given the message the film was trying to reveal!
 natural energy
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2008 1:43:24 PM
Comments about the media .........
.... and was it not the media who created the Zeitgeist movie? wow!

... and the film is about as propogandish as any form of communication can be!

... and yes, it is difficult to discern the truth ....... but I will not use propoganish sources ...... that is one thing for sure!

..... And now for my favourite statistical quotes ....... by Mark Twain .....
... and some of you have heard them already ........

"Get the facts first. You can distort them later." Mark Twain.
"Figures don't lie, but liars figure!" Mark Twain.

Remember ....... anything you want can be proven!
It merely is the gift of gab ...... and leading the blind!
 OneBlend
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2008 8:59:40 PM

What would we do without you Charles?

Hoop, you'd have nothing to laugh about ...

I give no opinion on the movie however, I will say the "coincidence" theorists always have it out for the "conspiracy" theorists who are connecting the dots and asking, isn't there too many coincidences here to rule out a conspiracy?
 CountIbli
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/28/2008 11:12:09 PM
Wow, I like how everybody denies the truth in this film by propagating all the things WRONG with the first part.

WTF.

It really pisses me off that NO ONE talks about the 9/11 truth part.

Instead of pointing fingers and TRYING to prove it wrong, do some research yourself.

Here's the problem. The first part is riddled with errors and sloppy research. Why should we believe a word of the second part?
 gentalltheway
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2008 9:42:51 AM
Personally, I find this documentary quite interesting as it is rather forward at pointing fingers on many different issues that affects us all. Surely, I will not argue with anyone in here as I can form my own ideas from what I can see and learn from which is probably why I am also also a non-believer/Atheist.

But a part of it did stuck with me and it’s the one about the interview on 60 Minutes with Attorney General Janet Reno when she said:

<div class="quote"> "A cultist is one who has a strong belief in the Bible and the Second Coming of Christ; who frequently attends Bible studies; who has a high level of financial giving to a Christian cause; who home schools for their children; who has accumulated survival foods and has a strong belief in the Second Amendment; and who distrusts big government.

Even though the narrator followed with his own evaluation, I think it would’ve been better by actually sticking to the rest of Janet Reno’s answer following the quote above which was:

<div class="quote"> Any of these may qualify a person as a cultist but certainly more than one of these would cause us to look at this person as a threat, and his family as being in a risk situation that qualified for government interference.

So according to her (and quite obviously a shitload of other governmental representatives), if you are a threat to the government, you are therefore a terrorist.

I wonder what would be the % of American citizens who fit the description of “Cultist”? 50%? 60%?

Another quote that hit me is this one:

<div class="quote">For a seemingly hopeless battle, the solution to all of these problems is simple. They only weapon they have against us is keeping the knowledge of OUR TRUE NATURE from us.

So true!

And finally, another AMAZING quote by another leader…George Bush senior.

<div class="quote">No, I don’t know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered as patriots. This is one nation under God!

What a dumbass! No wonder his son can talk with God!!! He is a perfect example as of why anyone with strong open religious belief should never be appointed as a leader of a country.
 GOD.IS.A.BULLET
Msg: 86
Posted: 6/7/2008 9:22:37 PM
I was outraged when I saw this film but also when I saw others and started to take a look at things , If you look at the following picture I have added you will see that the core columns of the building had been cut to cause the building to fall. so who did this ? I work in the industry and I can't believe that people could have hidden these facts from the public for so long. We all believed it was Ossama but how did he get into the buildings ahead of time to set charges. I watched the buildings fall that morning and I knew it was a rig . It's what I do. But who did it ? the owner Silverstein ? I've been calling around to friends in the demolitions business and noone seems to know but they all have the same questions, We do know that their was an israeli demo team in New york that month and they had the qualifications to do a top down which is quite complicated on such a large building. It would have taken weeks to do each one. And there was I understand Three that were demolished that day.
http://www.911lies.org/images2/thermite_thermate_explosives_wtc_911.jpg
 -Michiel-
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2008 1:53:36 PM
It is fine to question the authenticity of Zeitgeist, however it is not necessary:

- This movie was conducted from the idea that we are all humans and all the same, which means that his/her point of view can only be sincere and apply to all of us.

- If you look at the details, you won't see the big picture. Look at the big picture, and you will see that even if half of the movie is true the big picture still stands. I don't know if you can, but I can see all kinds of links with history and present now through this movie. And I accept and agree with the explanation of these links, and with he solution as being given in the beginning of the movie. The matter is "now". Not so much the authenticity of things, but what is really happening.

- Conspiracy theories explain AT LEAST that there is some sort of problem which the "conspiracy writer" has taken time for to write about, either correctly described or only partial. Critics often say things such as "this and this and this is wrong and this guy is a retard". EXACTLY these things are fears that result in no solutions and an on-going problem full of lies.

You see 2 kids fighting for a stupid reason, so you take one apart and tell him not to do it again and the other one you reward with a lollypop? Oh come on! You know why those wars are there. You have the truth in you. And it will set you free once you know it.
 GOD.IS.A.BULLET
Msg: 88
Posted: 6/9/2008 2:00:45 PM
I'm personally not a very religious person and the first bit to me seemed a bit far fetched but the rest of it seemed very plausible. I did however enjoy the comedy routine from george carlin God needs money ? he can create the universe but he can't seem to handle money !
 specialfxgirl
Msg: 95
Zeitgeist: The NEW Movie
Posted: 10/7/2008 11:23:29 PM
OK.............. so there is a totally new zeitgeist movie...................Zeitgeist: Addendum.

http://video.google.com:80/videoplay?docid=7065205277695921912&hl=en

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/
 RDtoo
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2008 10:26:15 PM
I fianally got around to seeing this. I thought the first section on religion was absolutely absurd, then I come on here and see that Charles and Countbli think so too. I am not even sure why they put the religion section in there as using religion to control people does not figure into the rest of the film.

I did find the rest of the film interesting and in the DVD copy I borrowed from someone the sources are cited in the end credits. I found the banking part especially interesting as I was watching this at a time when the U.S. government was basically taking over control of the banks. Hmmmm.

Can anyone recommend the Alex Jones film "Endgame"? I am thinking of buying this one off of Amazon.
 RDtoo
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 10/14/2008 10:36:56 PM
I never bought much into the powers that be using religion to control the masses as Christianity teaches civil disobediance if necessary. On the other hand I am puzzled that during the 70s, most Churches were struggling to get by and now we have Mega Churches as big as shopping malls. I have been wondering lately if these places are entirely funded by the congregation or has had help from outside sources?

I'm curious as to what is the problem with Alex Jones. I have been to his site prisonplanet.com and it seemed pretty eyeopening. Is it all B.S.?
 wisguyingb
Msg: 115
Posted: 5/29/2009 10:13:09 AM
"Fiat Empire" is the best movie for discussion about Central Banking, Fractional Reserve Banking and the Federal Reserve.

"Money as Debt" (by Paul Grignon) is also another good movie if you want to learn about banking 101.

Both can be watched on youtube
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  >