Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > 2012 & astronomical facts?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 susan_cd
Msg: 164
2012 & astronomical facts?Page 9 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

The Mayan Elders who have the information you seek are available. They were not allowed to share it for 500 years. They are sharing it now.

And your point is??? Just because information is old ( or just because large numbers of people believe something), doesn't automatically grant it factuality. Look at astrology; it's an old belief system, lots of people believe in it, but it's all bee ess.
 sophia animae
Msg: 165
2012 & astronomical facts?
Posted: 9/24/2009 9:43:36 AM
For your information non sequitur is the proper spelling.
Your desire to compartmentalize information into simple little pieces keeps you from seeing the whole and
will not lead you to wisdom.
Philosophy comes from the Greek φιλοσοφία [philosophia], which literally translates to "love of wisdom".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy
The Mayan Elders and Yogis don't care if you don't want to know the truth, they will share information with
anyone who desires it. If you want to bury your head in the sand, it's of no concern to me.
 msquared
Msg: 166
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2009 9:57:32 AM

The Mayan Elders and Yogis don't care if you don't want to know the truth, they will share information with
anyone who desires it. If you want to bury your head in the sand, it's of no concern to me.

The Mayan elders and Yogis know no more about the future than I do.
 late™
Msg: 167
Posted: 9/24/2009 10:16:39 AM
<div class="quote">For your information non sequitur is the proper spelling.
By the same token, pointing out a typo does nothing to refute the argument, on the other hand, playing the spelling card is usually the sign of a weak position.
<div class="quote"> Your desire to compartmentalize information into simple little pieces keeps you from seeing the whole and
will not lead you to wisdom
Again, any such personal desires are moot, the concept of "on-topic" and what is and isn't a valid post is explicitly outlined by the site.

<div class="quote">The Mayan Elders and Yogis don't care if you don't want to know the truth, they will share information with

Burying one's head in the sand is an appropriate analogy to ignoring the empirical, if the Mayan Elders and Yogis have said anything on this subject in regards to independently verifiable astronomical facts (see; OP), then by all means, post a sourced cite.
 quietcowboy
Msg: 168
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2009 5:40:52 PM

The Mayan Elders and Yogis don't care if you don't want to know the truth, they will share information with anyone who desires it. If you want to bury your head in the sand, it's of no concern to me.

Everybody else here is willing to "share information with anyone who desires it". The internet is full of information from sharing individuals. What it isn't full of is data that backs up the information that they are willing to share. People predicting the end of time is as old as people and the beginning of time, just don't ask them to tell you how they know what they know, they just do.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 169
Posted: 9/25/2009 7:37:11 PM

Your desire to compartmentalize information into simple little pieces keeps you from seeing the whole and will not lead you to wisdom.

A tad presumptuous of a statement since it assumes that people who have a more "metaphysical" bent in this context "get" the big picture.

However, it's been my experience that many scientists "get" the big picture on a level not even conceivable to those who rely strictly on what they "feel" is right and true. Science is a far more intimate relationship with the universe, if you will, since it actually involves interacting with it, studying it, learning its ways and whys.

You're going to be more efficient at doing that 10,000-piece puzzle if you have an idea that the picture is a tree-lined castle, no?
 stargazer1000
Msg: 170
Posted: 9/28/2009 6:22:38 PM
the astromical facts of Sirius is that it has only one companion, Sirius B which is several many factors fainter than Sirius A. There is no Sirius C. However, new age literature frequently refers to the Dogon tribe of Mali having "knowledge" of a companion that can only be had either by having a telescope or being told.

The problem is, westerners have been visiting that tribe for years since it's presence was first deduced in 1834. However, if you actually know the constellation of Canis Major, you do notice that Sirius is "accompanied" across the sky by two stars on either side...Beta Sirius and Gamma Sirius. There's also Epsilon and Beta nearby. So "companion" stars might be interpreted fairly loosely.

As for NASA's IR telescope, it has nothing to do with monitoring "Planet X" as the conspiracy aficionados would have you believe. It is a long term project for observing the infrared sky that makes use of the unusually dry air at the antarctic. Also, a giant planet, as has been explained several times in these forums already, would be easily visible in even backyard telescopes at this point.

As for calendars, there's one on my wall that ends Dec. 31, 2009. Weird, eh?
 Juste moi Danielle
Msg: 171
Posted: 9/28/2009 6:25:33 PM
Just curious, what exactly is coming to an end in 2012?

^ I think he meant age = the end of (an) age, the beginning of a new (age)...haha...I thought AGe was an acronym also:)

RocketMan_Len
Msg: 172
Posted: 9/28/2009 7:44:04 PM

As for calendars, there's one on my wall that ends Dec. 31, 2009. Weird, eh?

My desk calendar ends on January 31, 2010.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 173
Posted: 10/17/2009 9:20:29 PM
I'm surprised we're not seeing references to Quoar, or Sedna, etc. I'm sure we will. but, since Chiron is a Centaur asteroid (with comet-like characteristics) out beyond Saturn, I don't think we have much to worry about. It's been known about for years.
 Martin D Martian
Msg: 174
Posted: 10/24/2009 11:59:18 AM
You know. I posted a question on here if anyone else has had a strange experience with the number 23. MY post was delerted for no reason. But, I did see the movie the number 23 and I did go to Washington and I bought a bottle of Milk and on the lid it had ; " Expires July 23 ". Since, 2012 - 20+1+2=23. Then, Im wondering if it was an encoded message. I wonder if it means that something Washington, USA,the world ?will expire ( be destroyed) on July 23 2012.
 Juste moi Danielle
Msg: 175
Posted: 10/24/2009 12:38:46 PM

Then, Im wondering if it was an encoded message.

Yes, it was.

I wonder if it means that something Washington, USA,the world ?will expire ( be destroyed) on July 23 2012.

Yes, it does. That's it. Poof. The world...gone.

All because of a bottle of milk.

Juste moi Danielle
Msg: 176
Posted: 10/24/2009 1:35:31 PM
^ http://zapatopi.net/afdb/

stargazer1000
Msg: 177
Posted: 10/24/2009 2:14:14 PM
martin, you've just been contacted by the alien lizard Mason Illuminati cabal...and you have been warned. Start digging the shelter, my friend. You will have a chance at survival. As for the rest of us...well...I think I hear that pizza box in my recycling bin talking to me. I'm going to have to get back to you on what it says.
 Twister239
Msg: 178
Posted: 10/24/2009 5:31:57 PM

martin, you've just been contacted by the alien lizard Mason Illuminati cabal...and you have been warned. Start digging the shelter, my friend. You will have a chance at survival. As for the rest of us...well...I think I hear that pizza box in my recycling bin talking to me. I'm going to have to get back to you on what it says.

Kinda sad when a person with so much knowledge about astronomy
stoops to this type of insulting behaviour
instead of using their time on here
to educate others and leave the insults to people
with no real knowledge of the subject.

2012 is full of interesting myths..
some true...some false
I hope this type of um ....' post ' ..
doesnt discourage those with questions or comments
from particapating in the forum
just ignore the troll..

desertrhino
Msg: 179
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2009 5:43:02 PM

some true...some false
just ignore the troll..

Laughter!

You're kidding, right? Or are you just so pissed at a certain poster's general disagreement that you didn't even read the schlock that martin posted? Quite aside from it being just one of many such "forum rules" complaints on multiple threads, it's ludicrous on its face.
 Juste moi Danielle
Msg: 180
Posted: 10/24/2009 5:56:18 PM

some true...some false
just ignore the troll..

Excuse me, but someone asks if an expiry date on a milk jug is in any way shape or form related to some catastrophic end of the world scenario on a science and philosophy forum nonetheless and you expect people to respond HOW exactly??

Um let's see...let me consult my bible...no wait, wrong book...ummm...how about my "milk jug expiry dates and what they reaaaaaally mean scientific true facts no word of a lie cross my heart hope to die" book???

just ignore the troll..

Oh the irony.

stargazer1000
Msg: 181
Posted: 10/24/2009 6:07:45 PM

Ummm....milk carton expiry date....end of the world...sounds completely reasonable to me. Oh wait. No, it's the very definition of "unreasonable." Roughly along the lines of "secret code in my Alphagetti."

Besides, it's my experience that those who actually want to learn, don't post. Those who are inclined to believe in every kind of pseudoscience nonsense will post it ad nauseum, no matter how much actual real information you offer.

just ignore the troll..

Why thank you.
 FrogO_Oeyes
Msg: 182
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2009 7:00:58 PM

Excuse me, but someone asks if an expiry date on a milk jug is in any way shape or form related to some catastrophic end of the world scenario on a science and philosophy forum nonetheless and you expect people to respond HOW exactly??

I'd take it as a joke.
 Twister239
Msg: 183
Posted: 10/24/2009 7:02:21 PM
umm...its easy...if someone post something so stupid then dont respond to the post.
No one is forcing anyone to comment here...
its easy...just click past it.
what if that person who asked a stupid question is a retard ?
would you laugh at them to their face..ridicule them in public ?
your answer is obvious....
I just think its a sad reflection is all
hope I grow up to be like you folks one day.
NOT .
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 184
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2009 7:20:59 PM

umm...its easy...if someone post something so stupid then dont respond to the post.
No one is forcing anyone to comment here...
its easy...just click past it.
what if that person who asked a stupid question is a retard ?
would you laugh at them to their face..ridicule them in public ?
your answer is obvious....
I just think its a sad reflection is all
hope I grow up to be like you folks one day.
NOT .

Twister- life is a tough here on a open forum.

Maybe the lesson that can be learned here is - try to keep your posts relevant to the topic and maybe do a little work to add to the points discussed.

My own off topic questions- why are these people drawn to this forum? Can they not learn some humility and listen rather than speak themselves? We can all learn from being humbled by another if we step outside the boundaries of normal conversation.
 Twister239
Msg: 185
Posted: 10/24/2009 7:51:01 PM

Twister- life is a tough here on a open forum.

Amen to that brother !

I just cant justify belittling someone for ANY reason
even on the internet .
Even if they say something sooooo stupid that its laughable
my personal feeling is ...it gives me NO right to put them down
thats abusive...period.
abusive people are bullies.
I dont like bullies...period..at any time.
I have been suspended from this site 2 times for argueing this point
and next time I wont be allowed back..but yet...I just feel its THAT wrong
but you know what......
I learned something years ago
from a very special young lady who stood by her beliefs as well
her beliefs were so strong that she claimed...
" SOME THINGS ARE WORTH DIEING FOR"

her name was Christian French .

If I get booted a 3rd time .. oh well... ya know what ?
"somethings are worth getting booted off of pof for "

Please folks..stop ridiculing people .
is that really too much to ask for these days ?
If you feel it is... then by all means lets keep rolling
I will be out of your way soon
I am standing my ground on this when I see it happening.
Same as I would if I seen someone doing that to your sister or mother
as I was walking down the street.
I see there are many in here that are the type
to walk past abuse, and pretend they didnt see it.
I aint that guy....not then...not now...not ever
for indeed...."Some things are worth dieing for "
bahh...I said enuff
 stargazer1000
Msg: 186
Posted: 10/24/2009 8:25:44 PM
I'd take it as a joke.

Sadly, I don't think it was, FrogO.

Okay, twister, let me make this point. Back in 1996 or 97, someone photographed comet Hale Bopp and captured a star nearby. However, due to diffraction effects, the image of the star smeared out into a "saturn-like" object.

In California, some whack job convinced a bunch of people that this was the "mother ship come to take their souls" who knows where. And they all killed themselves.

Extreme example, yes, but has it ever occurred to you that a little more critical thinking by these people might have actually saved a few lives? Think it can't happen again? Well, look at it. We've got people believing that 2012 is THE END OF THE FREAKIN' WORLD. The thing is, people convinced that "the End" is about to come, tend to find a way to make it come true, if only for themselves. Yeah, I remember the Jim Jones coverage from when it happened. Made a bit of an impression to my then young mind.

So if we come across as a little harsh, well rather than defending their rights, maybe you might want to worry about where that line of reasoning can take one.
 Twister239
Msg: 187
Posted: 10/24/2009 9:18:20 PM
Stargazer

You know I admire your knowledge of astronomy
I have publicly admitted that saveral times.
But I just dont see how ridicule can educate anyone
its facts that educate people...not ridicule my friend .
I might not have your formal education
but I have learned a few life lessons .

There are always going to be stupid posts on here
as the world is full of stupid people.
I dont think you are one of them.
and perhaps that it why it bothers me
when I see certain people on here do that .

I think Frogo is the most classy guy on here,
harsh words and ridicule never come out of that man.
yet time after time he responds politely to those with less knowledge
I remember admiring your responses the same way not long ago
dont blend into the crowd Stargazer..

anyways I said what I had to say in this thread for now..
thanks for hearing me out sir.
 arwen52
Msg: 188
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2010 3:15:05 PM
"Innoculating you against the charlatans out there who will exploit you."

There is no Planet X and the alignment happens *every*single*year* on Dec. 21.

Most people don't care about facts.

Neil de Grasse Tyson, astrophysicist, on 2012:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJjQMwEjC1I
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > 2012 & astronomical facts?