Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > When someone points out that "you're old"..      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 genegem
Msg: 26
When someone points out that you're old..Page 2 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
The Poor Tailor and the French Restaurant

Old Abraham was a poor tailor whose shop was next door to a very upscale French
restaurant. Every day at lunch time, Abraham would go out the back of his shop and
eat his black bread and herring while smelling the wonderful odors coming from the
restaurant's kitchen.

One day, Abraham was surprised to receive an invoice from the restaurant for 'enjoyment
of food'. So he went to the restaurant to point out that he had not bought anything from
them. The manager said, "You're enjoying our food, so you should pay us for it."

Abraham refused to pay and the restaurant sued him. At the hearing, the judge asked
the restaurant to present their side of the case. The manager said, "Every day, this man
comes and sits outside our kitchen and smells our food while eating his. It is clear that we
are providing added value to his poor food and we deserve to be compensated for it."

The judge turns to Abraham and said, "What do you have to say to that?"

Abraham didn't say anything but stuck his hand in his pocket and rattled the few coins
he had inside.

The judge asked him, "What is the meaning of that?"

Abraham replied, "I'm paying for the smell of his food with the sound of my money."
 softail_deluxe_f
Msg: 27
When someone points out that you're old..
Posted: 4/15/2008 8:10:19 AM
I AM old....but hey, sure beats the alternative. Actually 50's are the "new" 40's...sooo
 c_deacon
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2008 9:16:32 AM
I just hang around the "over 45" forum and feel very very young.......

OT........If someone points out how old I am, I just start pointing out all their flaws as well, and let them know that I can not change mine, but they sure can change theirs......

Just my opinion........
 The Artful Codger
Msg: 29
Too soon old and too late wise...
Posted: 4/16/2008 8:34:46 AM
I deal with this at work all the time.

I tell them to enjoy the planet we've trashed for them.

I describe a time of peace and prosperity - when housing, food and entertainment were affordable, when you could go to school without fear of being shot, when one or two terrorists might fly to Cuba every few years.

I ask them if they know how old is too old to be drafted for front line combat operations.

Or I simply reminisce about what having sex before it could kill you was like.

If none of that gets their attention, then ya...I grab my cane and beat them senseless.
 Jim in NB
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Too soon old and too late wise...
Posted: 4/16/2008 3:31:25 PM
Smile and laugh. Remember back when you were young and all the fun you had and how naive you were. Life is way too short not to see the humour in stuff and especially with kids. This is their time at that age, let them have some fun with it. Sorry so many people are worried about or at least a little concerned with their age. Smile - way too nice a day today to do anything else!!!
 Jim in NB
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2008 1:56:55 PM
What me Again? Read something today in the Globe that maybe relevant to why kids say the things they do ... From Daily Miscellany of Info by Micheal Kestrerton - taken from the Evening Press Scotland (must be good info) "Kids thinking differs from that of adults and people tend to view those differences as deficits that need to be overcome - the sooner the better. However David Bjorklund, author of Why Youth is Not Wasted on the Young. Some aspects of kid's immature cognition are actually adaptive, both in terms of preparing them for adulthood and allowing them to florish in childhood. .... may promote later social competence..."

I am not suggesting for a minute that anyone posting here is not competent at all.

And the column finishes up with Thought du Jour "if you can look back on your life with contentment, you have one of man's most precious gifts - a selective memory" Jim Biebig, author.

Hope you're having a great day that the sun is shining and that your smiling and laughing at and with life.
 tabithag503
Msg: 32
Posted: 4/17/2008 4:09:12 PM
I'm 26, and I don't think 50 is old at all. I've dated several men in their 50's.
 arwen52
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2008 7:40:48 PM
The only person who referred to me in that way made a comment that I was "older, smarter, and tougher" than someone else. I took it as a compliment! Now I brag about it. "I'm old, smart, and tough!" Nobody has "accused" me of being "old." If they did, I'd probably laugh at them for being so wet behind the ears.
 missangelmist
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2008 12:33:15 AM
LOL I tell them that age is in the mind and I have energy and zest for life then most 20's old. I tell that I'm at a place in life I don't worry about or fitting in, I have found me and that at 20 or 30 your still searching .. I tell them I live in bliss ... and that comes with age ... I may not have a the body that I had when I was 20 but I have more because I have lived through many many days to come to that place of peace.

Then I would smile walk away.....

Its all in the mind ....... Its a state of being......
 veloise
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2008 4:55:20 AM
Never happens to me. If it did, I would whip out my AARP card (visibly), and say, "hey, you're right."
 The Artful Codger
Msg: 36
Posted: 4/18/2008 9:47:34 AM
I don't know what this has to do with anything, but this thread reminds me of a story an uncle told me when I was a pup.
Two bulls, one young and one old, were munching grass on a hill one sunny spring morning.
The young bull suddenly gestured towards the herd down in the meadow below, snorted and said, "Let's run down there and hump us each a cow".
The old bull looked up. continued munching, and then, "Nah," he said, "let's walk down there and hump 'em all".
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2008 11:49:30 PM
I would respond with "For someone so inexperienced you have a wonderful grasp of the obvious."
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2008 12:01:23 AM
I see no evidence of thought behind the statement "you're old." Thinking went out of style in the '80s.
 HippyDippyWeatherman
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2008 4:38:25 AM
I just saw a bumper sticker that read " An Old person is just a Young person wondering WHAT HAPPENED!!
 fixitfred
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2008 9:28:03 PM
What I find interesting is that someone your age gave this enough thought to get opinions on it.

usually women in their mid-20s who I am NOT trying to pick-up, say to me "You're old"
You go out of your way to state this and I'm not sure why.
 RUFOREAL
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2008 9:43:55 PM
as many have posted, that comment doesnt really warrant an answer... you neednt make an excuse for the number of years you have been on the planet (you mentioned that these are women in their mid 20's who you are NOT trying to pick-up
sooooo what is their point??) pointless in my opinion

age is a matter of mind... if you dont mind... it doesnt matter!
 stevelfun
Msg: 42
Posted: 5/7/2008 4:46:58 AM
Ground them, send them to their room, no TV, internet access, cell phone and NO PROM.

You will have them begging for mercy in mere moments.

Rythmn
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2008 1:22:43 PM

i have two just turning into their early 20's and one still a teen. i'm almost 60. be happy you are "just" old. in middle school they would have you in a coffin by now. mine still cannot get over that anyone over 30 can still "have sex". my boy is very fearful that i will die any minute now that i'm "so old". i explained to them that us 60's people created all the "moves" and mtv is just cashing in on our glory. my eldest thought about it, grinned and said: gee thanks mom. i never thought about it thay way before! my youngest said: i still think it's disgusting! i told my son, i could still take him by the ear if i wanted to and make him sit still, despite my overall elderly frailty. i also told him to "wrap it" if you get my innuendo. he giggled.

sorry, you are old. so am i. according to them, so is everyone over 30. or at least until 40, you are middle aged. they are just born as far as i'm concerned and need a curfew.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2008 3:09:10 PM
Realistically, if some 20-something says to me "You're Old!" I would have to respond "What was your first clue?"

(You need to look at my profile pic to appreciate this.)
 bluenfree
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2008 6:27:11 AM
My answer? "Damn! And here I thought there was something wrong with the mirror!"

When the poster, calling you "Old man", attempts to divert the validity of your argument by bringing in personal attributes, it means she cannot refute on on merit. She might as well as said you were wrong because you were fat, skinny, short, tall, etc.

Remember, if you meet her in the forums again, to address her as "Young girl". It appears she is not mature enough to be called a woman, and she's certainly not a lady.
 fenderbender
Msg: 46
Posted: 5/11/2008 11:39:50 AM
tell them before you can be old and wise you first must be young and stupid
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/11/2008 12:44:12 PM
...Yeah it kinda felt odd the first time someone called me Ma'am instead of Miss...I thought, "my gosh, I'm getting old".... And at the time, I remember feeling a strange sense of sadness, like something lost.

...maelowers
 fixitfred
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2008 2:01:01 PM

... the proverbial nail on the head...
Wait, I thought you sprinkle the pixie dust on their head like Beatlgeuse and shrink them.
 fixitfred
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2008 6:26:15 PM
I just saw a “UBS” commercial about an old golfer telling the younger kid that when he was younger he hit the ball over a big tree to hit the green. So the kid tries it and smashes the ball and it hits the top of the tree and falls down short. The old guy laughs then tells the kid when he was younger the tree was only a few feet tall.
 packleader
Msg: 50
Posted: 5/11/2008 8:30:36 PM
""I will not make age an issue of this campaign. I am not going to exploit for political purposes my opponents youth and inexperience.? "'

The above was stated by Ronald Reagan in one of his debates with Walter Mondale when Mondale brought up the question of age.
Now with a little creativity you could change campaign for "discussion" and change political purposes to "personal reasons" and she would not be back..................
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > When someone points out that "you're old"..