Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > When someone points out that "you're old"..      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Chocolatebrowne
Msg: 51
When someone points out that you're old..Page 3 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
I actually rather enjoy that, because I can just "shoo them away" by telling them to go play with the other kids, because the grown people have things to do that children shouldn't see or hear....I have brought more than one young whippersnapper to tears with that very kind/cutting remark....
 1_blonde
Msg: 52
When someone points out that you're old..
Posted: 4/7/2008 7:11:58 PM
I guess I must be pretty lucky, no one besides my grands have told me I'm old. lol.

Heck, I know I'm old. I just don't feel it !

But I sure have had some fun times getting here !!!!!!

Blonde
 WaywardSeeker
Msg: 53
Posted: 4/7/2008 8:35:07 PM
Taking my son back to college, we ate lunch at a restaurant and I went up to pay the check. When I pointed out that the amount was wrong, the cashier patiently explained that I had been given the senior citizen discount. She also complimented me on my handsome grandson! He laughed and called me Gramps all the way back to school!

One day at work one of my co-workers patiently explained that when I got to be his age I would understand things a little better. Turned out I was a freshman in high school the day he was born.

If someone pointed out that I was old, I would think them foolish for pointing out the obvious. If they were suggesting I lacked some capability or another I would adjust their attitude with a hard whack on the noggin with my walker, or just turn down my hearing aids until they went away.
 missdix
Msg: 54
Posted: 4/7/2008 11:31:53 PM
I agree that I am older than them , therefore have more life experiences, All that she has and even more. We live here in this world together and should be respectful of each other. If she lives well, she will someday get to be this age too, faster than she can ever imagine.
 missdix
Msg: 55
Posted: 4/7/2008 11:59:13 PM
Royalpain, I agree with Notabubbalover. Being a teenager is no excuse for rudeness and disrespect. I raise sons, they love to tease me but would never dream of being rude, insulting or hurtful to me, nor I to them. Teenagers grow into adults and need to learn to be respectful and caring fron the beginning.
 TLC_
Msg: 56
Posted: 4/8/2008 12:38:01 AM
well, as they could be telling the truth, what can one say?

age is relative, someone who is 20, could see 40 as old.
 outofthedesert
Msg: 57
Posted: 4/8/2008 12:59:23 AM
I have dealt with rude people on here half my age. When they deal the "old" card, my reply is simply, come back and post in 25 years (after you have lived them) and let's see if you feel the same way.

Granted, many 20 somethings are intelligent and have experienced a great deal in their short life times, but nothing can give them what a 25 year lead has given us.
 winterwarrior
Msg: 58
Posted: 4/8/2008 1:22:02 AM
The only time your too old is the day you cant get out of bed and that means your going home
 chelsea_hou
Msg: 59
Posted: 4/8/2008 4:50:01 AM
Old is 10 years older than you are.
 AgelessWonder
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/8/2008 4:59:49 AM
I have had men who were 2-5 years younger than me and say they like "older women" LOL

I have also contacted a man on here who was 5 years younger and he wrote back I was too old.

Go figure, I think I looked better than any of the men, but my eyesight isn't that good these days
 Blithe_Spirit
Msg: 61
Posted: 4/8/2008 5:42:29 AM
Royalpain, I agree with Notabubbalover. Being a teenager is no excuse for rudeness and disrespect. I raise sons, they love to tease me but would never dream of being rude, insulting or hurtful to me, nor I to them. Teenagers grow into adults and need to learn to be respectful and caring fron the beginning.

You're right. I'll take her out of college and put her back in Kindergarten and raise her all over again, the right way this time.

She has many strengths including empathy, creativity, intelligence, beauty, independence, self-discipline, and ambition. I'll accept her just the way she is, thank you, and you people just stop telling me how to raise my children. Guess what? It's too late! The ship has already left the harbor.
 MacKevinized
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2008 5:43:26 AM

I was debating someone in the forums when a girl in her late 20s not liking what I was saying started calling me "Old man". How do you respond to something like this? It apparently seems like a put-down but it really dosen't offend me. Am I expected to crawl away in embarrassment because of my age? I really cannot think of how to respond to someone who says this to me as it just seems childish and rude.

Seems the question is about how to deal with immature insults.

1. You can memorize immature counter insults and insult their inexperience.
2. you can ignore the immature insults
3. you can give longwinded lectures about manners and communication
4. you can make inappropriate sexual advances
 Blithe_Spirit
Msg: 63
Posted: 4/8/2008 5:46:33 AM
^^^ the correct answer is #2?
 galonthemt
Msg: 64
Posted: 4/8/2008 6:03:39 AM
royalpain.....When you posted the disrespect of your daughter did you not expect some criticism??????? Dont get defensive......If you think you raised her right thats all that matters ...........I am not trying to insult you but this is a forum and people will post an opinion...................
 missdix
Msg: 65
Posted: 4/8/2008 3:40:10 PM
Royalpain, it sounds like the apple didn't fall far from the tree.
 Blithe_Spirit
Msg: 66
Posted: 4/8/2008 3:59:43 PM
^^^ What do you mean by that, Missdix?
 notabubbalover
Msg: 67
Posted: 4/8/2008 4:04:36 PM
Missdix,
I always taught my kids that if they don't want to get what their parents are trying to teach them at home...the world will teach them......the hard way.

It's just like men and women that misbehave in relationships.....eventually,someone,somewhere will not put up with it and they will hopefully learn their lesson and be a better person for it.
 talkingmale39
Msg: 68
Posted: 4/8/2008 8:33:49 PM
Shoot back with experienced intelligent wit.

But I was watching a documentary on aging. Did you know 50 is the new 30? People our age are going
to live much longer than our parents. Some predict into the high 90's and low 100's. Assuming one
is active and eats right : )
 tml1958
Msg: 69
Posted: 4/8/2008 8:45:56 PM
Reply #1: Yes, young one, I may be older than you but not so old that I've forgotten my age or my manners.

In case that one goes over their head, try this one:

Reply #2: It's apparent the your Parents forgot to teach you to show respect to your elders and address them accordingly. That would be Mr. Old Man to you. HUGE grin
 AgelessWonder
Msg: 70
Posted: 4/8/2008 8:47:59 PM
If someone calls me an "old man" I would wonder if I had my hair cut too short!!

Now I have been called old woman, in a joking way... it doesn't bother me in the least.

I am pretty old!!
 RDtoo
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2008 9:56:44 PM
Talkingmale, we had better not live that long. They are predicting social security will run out in another 20 years. Nothing like a bunch of homeless centurians.
 Chocolatebrowne
Msg: 72
Posted: 4/9/2008 8:27:29 AM
Ageless Wonder, you are so right about men, not only on this site, but on others. They can be 5 years younger than you, and look (and act) 10 or 15 years older than you, and have the nerve to say that you are "too old...." for them!
 sam-spade
Msg: 73
Posted: 4/9/2008 9:03:37 AM
When my son was 13 he came home from the park and said "a geezer was giving us a hard time". I was laughing inside, amazed that the word had re-surfaced. "What's a geezer?" I asked. "Someone old" he said. "Am I a geezer?" "Yup".

I was 34 at the time!
 ny_lady_13601
Msg: 74
Posted: 4/9/2008 3:51:45 PM
Tell them "Welcome to the real world and that time will come for them as it has, and does, for all of us". And if they still don't get it, tell them to go play in the sandbox with the rest of the kiddies.
 clambroth
Msg: 75
Posted: 4/9/2008 4:41:26 PM
I'd say. Yo b**** the forums are for adults. If you want to talk to other children go to the myspace forums
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > When someone points out that "you're old"..