Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > When someone points out that "you're old"..      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SRQManaMan
Msg: 101
When someone points out that you're old..Page 5 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
I usually don't hear that......................I have sense enough not to pursue a

woman that is much much younger than me......for example, a woman that is 20 years my

Junior.............I'm usually the man who asks a woman 45-50 that she's too old to

attempt to 'look like' a woman in her 20's, or adopt the trappings of a woman 20

years her Junior............lots of women doing that are in fact 'too OLD' but refuse to

acknowledge it, like man in his 50's making overtures to a 29 year old woman.....

it generally doesn't work, and looks completely out of place and out of character.
 dragonrider1776
Msg: 102
When someone points out that you're old..
Posted: 1/7/2009 7:40:35 AM
When some one says that to me I just say...."thank you very much and in a few years you will be where I am"...........

Seriously, I think "old" should be a "four letter" word, like Oold, or olld or what ever.......

There seem such a negative perception with that word. As for me I love this time in my life. No more trying to climb the corporate ladder crap.........been there done that. No more taking crap from a boss that has the IQ of a rat. No thank you......done that also.

Yes I am a senior citizen and I've paid my dues so I can enjoy life...........but I'm not "old"........

Dragonrider
 kbodley
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 1/20/2009 11:27:42 PM
This thread brings to mind a day several years ago when my grandson was spending the day with me. He was not quite 3 at the time.

I had spent the day working in the flowerbeds, cleaning house, and playing with my grandson. That evening as I was hoisting myself out of the chair to take my young guest off to bed, I moaned and said, "Oh, sweetie Grandma is getting old!"

He sweetly smiled up at me and confidently offered, "Youse not old Grandma, youse just fat." He then toddled off down the hall to bed, completely confident that he had totally lifted my spirits!
 Avalon96
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2009 6:30:54 AM
I tell them that I am very fortunate to have gotten older,
many don't make it, and if they are lucky they may get to be old as well.
Really don't see the problem with getting old, it's just the progression of time, a date on a calender celebrating us being dragged kicking and screaming into the world.
We weren't any different when we were young.
How many remember the saying? "never trust anybody over 30."
Look at us now. LOL
 dustyknight
Msg: 105
Posted: 1/22/2009 6:05:28 AM
ahh... we may be old to some that are younger..but the memories we have..:)
one point ..you can be old at 30 or old at 70..it's your choice..
I've seem many profiles where the lady is over 60, looking way sexier and much more beautiful than many of the 30 yr olds.
A wise older man once told me, I was in my 20s..when I had a date choice of a pretty 25 yr old or a sexy 45 year old..he was wise beyond his years...he said.."you know those jeans that are worn in just right..they feel so good and comfortable and your stride is easy wearing them? I said yes....he said.."would ya rather have a stiff, bright blue pair of designer levi's that looked new, scratched your thighs and changed your pace? " Think about it..
So..being old doesn't necessarily define or describe wisdom..it simply means we avoided most of lifes pitfalls and survived...

dusty...
 Puppydog54
Msg: 106
Posted: 1/24/2009 11:29:58 AM
Slightly off the topic perhaps but I'm reminded of what Mark Twain once said... "When I was 16 I thought my father was stupid. Then when I was 21 I couldn't believe how much the old man had learned in five years."
 painter0070
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2009 2:05:38 PM
I say...yes I am and loving it....
 Twilightslove
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2009 9:50:55 PM
I think the only one who has called me old was my youngest son because I wouldn't give him his way.

Personally I have always looked to older people as having wisdom. When my parents died I felt so lost as I had lost the people I always called for advice then this amazing transformation occurred and my phone was being flooded with calls. The calls were from my grown children asking me my advice on many, many things and today it seems to be a daily ritual.

I'm proud to be old especially if I've gained the wisdom that my parents had.

If a 20 year old tells me I'm old I won't be putting much stock in their observation. I will silently be reflecting on my past and how at times I thought I knew it all and how silly that was of me.

It's good to grow older. Someday those 20 year olds will look back and realize how silly they were too.
 TOMic bomb
Msg: 109
Posted: 5/29/2009 6:13:53 PM
growing older sure beats the alternative.
 kbodley
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2009 7:09:05 PM
Reminds me of a day a number of years ago when my grandson (age 3 at the time) was spending the weekend. It was early in the summer and we had spent the day digging up flower beds, weeding the strawberry patch, raking, and mowing, and generally getting the yard in shape for the summer. After dinner that evening I moaned when standing up from my chair and said to him, "Austin, Grandma's gettin' old!"

He smiled brightly and replied, "Youse not old grandma, youse just fat!"

Out of the mouths of babes!!!
 NotGorshkovAgain
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2009 6:33:52 AM

How would you respond?

One more word, sunshine, and I'll beat you about the head & shoulders with my walker.
 karma1160
Msg: 112
Posted: 5/30/2009 8:27:17 AM
Well I have never had someone call me old yet but I am sure my day is comming .
But I prefer to think of it as aged wine or a pearl.
The thing about a pearl is that it get abraised and sanded down overtime till it is the most beautiful Glowing form that it can possibly be.... This is age to me...
 abelian
Msg: 113
Posted: 5/31/2009 10:24:12 AM

Every once in a while I will have a younger person, usually women in their mid-20s who I am NOT trying to pick-up, say to me "You're old". It happened here on POF.

I had that happen on pof too, except that it was from a 26 year old I was trying to ``pick up.''

How would you respond?

I told her I'd be 10 years younger in a week. We never went on a date, but we've become friends and we call each other a couple time a week and text. I'm still trying to get her to bake me some cookies. I see no reason to take offense. Face it, if you're talking to women half your age, some will think you're trying to pick them up and if you are, some will think you're too old for them. They're just calling it as they see it.
 Happily Ever...maybe
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2009 12:06:36 PM
Its funny, when I was 20 or 25, people in their 40s seemed old to me too. Now that I'm in my late 40s, 50 doesn't seem like nearly such a big deal. I subscribe to the theory that "old" is about 15 years more that whatever age you currently are! The bottom line, if someone is ever rude enough to say I'm old, I counter with I'm OLD "ER", not OLD.
 wacowboy3
Msg: 115
Posted: 6/27/2009 12:17:27 PM
OP I have had the same experience. I do not hit on the 20 somethings, I believe you are only as old as you feel. I will admit that my mind and body disagree at times lol
 moraima
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2009 2:55:19 PM
I had a man tell me that I would look younger/better without my glasses. I told me "no, you would look younger/better without my glasses.............
 stevelfun
Msg: 117
Posted: 6/27/2009 6:10:17 PM
Just tell them to go to their room or they will get a spanking.
 ringo17
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2009 5:15:41 PM
I'm not old, just well defined.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2009 4:03:15 AM
The topic's not that we think ourselves old - it's "When someone points out that you're old.."
ED BEAR
 ringo17
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2009 1:17:29 PM
My twenty year old son was telling me a story about an old guy last night. Upon questioning, it turned out the fellow was the same age as me. I simply said " f%#k you" and left it at that.
 Vannili
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2009 9:18:32 PM

"You're old"

If some would say that to me ,> I will tell the person ,she is lucky if s/he reach my age of success,contentment and wisdom....

amalefriend
Msg: 122
Posted: 2/26/2012 6:15:52 AM
It is highly rude and immature. I don't know that you need to respond as anyone who reads her post can see that she is mean. However, a lot of our society, particularly younger people, are disrespectful these days. I am sorry that happened to you.
 icefishingrl
Msg: 123
Posted: 2/26/2012 6:37:47 AM
"How do you respond to something like this?"

There can be a lot of disrespect on here. In another post I read, a young woman was asking for some opinions on a 'twenty-something' type issue. Someone posted "come back when you've both had your diapers changed".

I don't take anything personally on here, anymore.

I say, consider the source. It's too easy for people to vent their anger at others online.
 Paderic
Msg: 124
Posted: 2/26/2012 7:10:51 AM

I was debating someone in the forums when a girl in her late 20s not liking what I was saying started calling me "Old man". How do you respond to something like this?

Report it to the moderators.
 SpittyKitty
Msg: 125
Posted: 2/27/2012 8:26:43 PM

started calling me "Old man". How do you respond to something like this?

Do what I do. Say, "Yep, one foot in the grave"!
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > When someone points out that "you're old"..