Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Missouri  > ideas for next POF get together      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 imbelievn2ru
Msg: 26
view profile
History
ideas for next POF get togetherPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I would like to change the idea of get together topic here

My personal petpeeve is when you go to a bar you can't really talk for the sound bearings. Also there are numerous people that don't do the bar scene or don't like to leave their children behind.
My thought would be that we have a gathering at a park that has softball fields, waterpark, sandbeach volleyball, and other offerings so that if people want they can bring their family.
What says that we couldn't get together for such an event but at the same time do some good for a hidden secret in St Louis.....THE HAVEN HOUSE which parallels Ronald McDonalds focus.

What is your thought?
 frtnhnfloed
Msg: 27
ideas for next POF get together
Posted: 4/10/2008 10:18:02 AM
Ok, here is my thought on the matter. I know im probably gonna make a few of u angry but this is my opinion!! People keep talking about doing something so that children can be involved, and dont get me wrong, i love children, but isnt this a singles adult dating sight where u try to meet other single adults? I dont have a problem with getting together at a park (An adult picnic), it doesnt have to last all day, and u can come and leave at your own leisure, or a place that would hold a couple hundred people, if we could find such a place that we can get. My thought is , is an adult meeting ground somewhere where u really want to have a bunch of kids running around? and another question, if you're sitting trying to talk with someone, are you gonna wanna have to keep track of your kid or kids? I would find that really distracting if im just meeting someone possibly for the first time. Whether it was my kid(s) or theirs. Once we get to know each other i would be happy to do activities with the kids from that point on. Please dont take this personal, its just my thought and opinion!!!
 FatBottomGirlie
Msg: 28
Posted: 4/10/2008 1:07:50 PM
Well all I know is right now I'm hosting an event in July so at all you non-hosting fishies.

I've considered emailing the folks who host the Ren Faire in Wentzville and see if I can work something out for us as a group, but then again I'm feeling rather lazy of late.

butterflykisses31
Msg: 29
Posted: 4/10/2008 2:52:20 PM
I can say as a single mom i agree with tom/george on this one! Dating web site and a dating party no kids bad idea. Trust me i have been to them and when alchol involved you dont want kids around expecially if Kenny shows up....lol speaking of kenny where has he been!!!!!
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 30
Posted: 4/10/2008 3:06:28 PM
While my kids are adults, I gotta agree with TomFish...to an extent.

I think a gathering during the day that is kid-friendly is ok for a smaller group or a GNO, but who in their right mind would really want to drag their kidlets out to an online singles event?! What do you TELL them?! LOL And there is the very important point he made of, for those who are still single, meeting the kids on a first meet?! Yikes!

Shell...kudos to you for planning the July event! I know it is going to be a blast, and while it is not a freebie event, it will be a great time!

I love Quivre River State Park...but...seriously doubt I would be up for the drive for an overnight deal...though a weekend camp trip sounds awesome!

Personally, I think something like a Pig Roast would be kick azz! Anyone know of any places that put these on? I looked online...can only find places in other states!
 TheKidof72
Msg: 31
Posted: 4/10/2008 3:39:50 PM
We can do an all weekend event at Cuiver River State park, or if anyone is willing to drive, the place that I go canoeing in the summer has a great campsite and they have a family campsite as well as a late night party area campsite which doesn't have a quiet time till 3 AM (but even then it's not always quiet) It's down in Leesburg and if anyone is interested in it I can give them a call. Hope the late night area is not under water right now, but I am pretty sure it is with all this rain we have been having. I can also check into getting a piggy for a piggy roast. I bought a hog last year at the county fair from my goddaughter and had it processed, but we also have the option to have it roasted, which some friends of mine are doing this year for a float trip possibly. I can check into the prices for that as well.

As far as kids involved, I personally don't have kids so I am just speaking from having a little sister who is 11 that I am very protective of, but I don't think it's right to bring your kids around that many complete strangers. With that many people there, you don't know 3/4 of them and you don't know what kind of background they have so you don't know if there will be drugs, alcohol or even sexual predators there at the party (it's not like this website give background checks). Guess I am just too protective, but some things with a child you can't ever go back and fix.
 imbelievn2ru
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2008 7:21:22 PM
Okay, I will be the first one to say I dingbatted it.....

Guess what I didn't think about is the whole predator thing.
Nobody says that alcohol has to be involved for every event.

But I still say a picnic would be great. Do you think people would mind a potluck type event. Bring a dish/BYOB
 frtnhnfloed
Msg: 33
Posted: 4/10/2008 8:29:32 PM
You didnt dingbat it, it was a very good idea, but like kat said on a smaller scale where at least most of the people are already aquainted with one another, that would be fine.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 34
Posted: 4/10/2008 8:43:36 PM
Theresa....is the place you get your pigs, a butcher, or a place that actually does the roasting? Would love, love, love to do this! Problem would be that someone would have to fork out the funds...or in the very least, it would all have to be prepaid.

Donna...no dingbatting...lol...just...trusting! :O) Smallscale, like a GNO...most definitely! Heck...a few of us gals met up at the zoo once, with the kids (or grandkid in my case!) and had a wonderful time!

Another idea for a smaller scale thing to do...on I believe Friday nights, the City Museum has $5 admission after 5:00 and is open until 1:30 I believe...and they have a bar for those who prefer alcohol. My daughter does this often and says it is a total BLAST!
 TheKidof72
Msg: 35
Posted: 4/10/2008 10:01:00 PM
the place where I get my hog is the county fair, but then it gets put onto the truck to go to the processing company where they get it to no longer look like a pig but a piece of pork steak, bacon, sausage or a big huge ham. I can call them tomorrow and see what kind of price range we are looking at for one roasted. I don't think that they are that much difference. If we want to wait till August to do this sometime then I might be able to get us a pretty good price on a piggy. I think last year I paid 150 for the pig and 140 for the processing.
 imbelievn2ru
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2008 3:34:52 PM
City Museum is an awesome idea for it is could for children of all ages.

Plus the fact that you can talk. They also have an adult area that serves beer.
Grants Farm has free admission
Parking is $10
They have a location where you can actually reserve a picnic area for a large group.
www.grantsfarm.com

The Zoo has some of the same features too.
 Ms_Lookn4fun
Msg: 37
Posted: 4/11/2008 3:59:22 PM
Grants Farm not open until April 19; we attempted this one weekend with Jerry's daughter, we ended up at the zoo and had a great time.
 GiggleItsFun
Msg: 38
Posted: 4/12/2008 7:07:17 PM
I agree with you Tony...not every party has to hold 300 people. And everybody doesn't show up at the same time anyway. Plus, some people may not come to such a large gathering, but prefer something smaller.

If you green link it...they will come! ;-)

And TJ's does have great wings!! Last time I was there for a party...I had a German Chocolate Cake shot! Yummy...and I don't do shots!

Myra

imbelievn2ru
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2008 9:38:11 PM
Myra,

I might have to join you for that shot. Like you I don't even do shots but love German Chocolate cake.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 40
Posted: 4/13/2008 8:30:28 AM
Tony...what makes you think the Strat will not work with us any more?? This is news to me, and am just wondering why you say that??

I agree 100% though...not every party has to be intended to be one for 300+ peeps...just plan them and whomever gets there, gets there!
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 41
Posted: 4/13/2008 3:33:41 PM
Well, they did not renege on everything...there was just a communication problem regarding the times, somewhere along the lines. (Has happened before, trust me!!) And after a few choice words with Steve, he corrected the problem.

The bands will come back eventually...it's just not feasible for them now, to be forking out for bands and rennovations...and the figure that Steve told me that they forked out for bands over one year, was phenomenally high!

My Illinois honey informed me that he has access to everything it takes for a kick azz piggy roast...so he and I just might be planning that, sooner than you all think! ;o)
 frls74
Msg: 42
Posted: 4/13/2008 5:23:23 PM
Kat, they not only had "communications" problems, but then Steve refused to make it right and give the free hour as we had been promised, He also had promised $2.00 call it drinks, meaning well brands AND call brands, as well as bottled beer, and i was charged $2.75 for bottled Bud all night. Bud is hardly an exotic beer, so i can see no excuse for overcharging for it.

The menu was not what had been agreed on earlier, He unilaterally changed it to the St Patrick's fare, i can understand the thinking behind it on the surface, keeping with the theme of the party, but i tend to believe that he did it for his convenience, so his kitchen wouldn't have to make different foods, just larger quantities.

When we tried to talk to him about these issues, we were summarily turned down for any corrective measures. I for one, don't like being played with promises that i pass on to others, and then have them reneged on. I know that Cammie was very distressed by the treatment we received.

The same thing happened to a lesser degree at Side Pockets, with the "dollar shots" that turned out to be $2.00 each. That is one of the reasons why i haven't recommended returning there, even though they could accommodate a party as large as our's are.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 43
Posted: 4/13/2008 7:38:44 PM
Actually, Steve DID end up honoring the free hour...after I talked to you and Cammie, I went to talk to Steve and we had words...but he ended up honoring the free hour (and from that moment) made the domestic bottles not included. I told you this that evening, do you not recall?

Look, I agree...things were screwy...we experienced similar at the Mardi Gras party...but I still think it is one of the better places to host.

As far as Side Pockets go...I would approach them about such...remind them of the size of the group you brought in...and ask them what they will do to have us return?
 butterflykisses31
Msg: 44
Posted: 4/13/2008 8:09:22 PM
I can agree with Kat that Steve did end up giving us free drinks for at least an hour..... I took full advantage of it!!!!!! I liked the strat merly for the fact i had a place to crash... LOL
BUt i will party where ever you all go
 TheKidof72
Msg: 45
Posted: 4/14/2008 3:24:35 PM
I have to agree with Bill, I never got free drinks that night, even for an hour, but I heard that one bar was doing it in the ballroom while the other wasn't. I never got any of the $2.00 you call it specials either. If I did, then I would have been toasted even more so then when I was when I figured out how much I had spent that whole night cause that would have meant that I had about 50 drinks, and for those that know me, know that even on a bad night, I can't drink that much.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 46
Posted: 4/14/2008 4:45:20 PM
What happened was, there was confusion (miscommunication??) between the two bars and Steve, as to when the free hour was. The SMALL bar was honoring the original hour, the large bar was not. When it was brought to his attention, he initially acted like an ass, but then fixed it but said that the domestic bottles were NOT being included.

There were plenty of shot specials...but they were being doled out by the circulating waitresses...NOT at the bar.

Look...not saying it was not fvcked up...I was one ticked off kitty, and it was not even my party! But he DID attempt to make it right.

As far as the food change...I agree that sucked! Not to mention the cabbage made the entire ballroom SMELL! LOL BUT...I think it was a combination of him not thinking ahead to the "theme" of it...and just having the "well you cannot complain, it is free" attitude.

Point is...there are NOT a lot of places willing to GIVE much...take it or leave it...NO ONE IS FORCED TO ATTEND. But they sure do like to b1tch about it later! This is one of the main reasons I am tempted to NEVER host another party again!
 kenharleyride
Msg: 47
Posted: 4/14/2008 9:21:26 PM
Kat had a bad case of the GAS is why i smelled...
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 48
Posted: 4/14/2008 10:23:09 PM
Bite my gassy assy, Kenny!

You were not smelling MOI', that's for sure...I ate no cabbage! Maybe you smelled the nasty piece of sh1t that was hanging around there, that night??
 kenharleyride
Msg: 49
Posted: 4/14/2008 11:29:26 PM
omg . must have been a dingleberry....
 butterflykisses31
Msg: 50
Posted: 4/15/2008 9:14:40 AM
WEll Kat I think the strat is great!

I wish someone would just green link one already... I dont have funds to do it other wise i would do it myself.......
Show ALL Forums  > Missouri  > ideas for next POF get together