Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > what if your "soul mate" is NOT financial stable      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aPamela
Msg: 101
what if your soul mate is NOT financial stablePage 5 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
IF the person is TRULY a soulmate, then you are absolutely in touch.
Right?
Which means to me that it is an act of faith in each other that you can make things work. You can trust each other enough and believe in each other enough that you will work TOGETHER to make things work.
Right?
 tigerlily1
Msg: 102
what if your soul mate is NOT financial stable
Posted: 4/9/2008 1:44:18 AM
Presumably all the people responding to this post are single right, including me, so I have to wonder who we listen to as none of you have go it right, right......

What this post is doing is shedding light on the misuse of the word soulmate and is also pointing out the people who use the word soulmate have no meaning or concept of the word, the person who started the post made an intelligent point and to those who have joined and tried to make an intelligent point

You have failed, and will continue to fail, not only on this post but in your quest for the perfect patner who will put up with your me me selfish ,material traits..........

did I mention lack of depth.....

I agree with some that the best we can hope for is a suitable partner, we as humans have drifted far from our own spirituality and no longer see our spiritual needs as needing to be fullfilled, most people dont even believe they have any spriritual needs.

Perhaps that is why society is on a downward spiral and so many single unhappy depressed people craving perfection in physical and material things now exsist.

Perahps if we responded to our spiritual needs and waited for our spiritual partner to cross our paths then we would all be much happier and society may well become something it defiantley is not......... Balanced

I simply have no criteria, all my past relationships have been a prelude to the next, and their will be another one or perhaps few, but all the time I ma being moved forward and am able to appreciate the benefit of relationship in the human life.

I will know at the end of my life and recoginse the soul mate, but at this point of exsistance I can not possibily know this, and certainly cant advertise for it, and this is the point the poster is making.
not a lot of point making a spiritual statement to such materialistic people
 TheEmeraldTeardrop
Msg: 103
Posted: 4/9/2008 1:44:25 AM
I own my own business and I'm financially stable.

But it doesn't really matter for me because I'm a woman. All that matters is whether I'm young or not, pretty or not, fat or not, childless or not and crazy or not. What I do for a living isn't such a big deal. I could be the most successful person in a huge company and if I was ugly, fat, old, nuts with a bunch of kids, it doesn't matter how much money I make.

Unfortunately the same does not apply in reverse. If most men find me pretty, then I get many suitors. If I have a wide range of suitors, odds are I will pick someone who has a lot going for them, including a good career and financial stability. People will say, "What about a great personality? What about a sense of humor? What about charm?" Well if you have enough suitors, you can find a range of financially stable men and find a few who are funny and have good personalities and are full of charm. Being financially stable doesn't preclude you from being a good catch or a good date.

The more attractive men find me, the more financially stable a man I can pick because my options go up. The less attractive men find me, the less financially stable a man I can pick because my options go down.

Men with lousy jobs who are blessed with good looks will get women that the men with great jobs and good looks don't want anymore. Men with lousy jobs, who aren't blessed with good looks, usually end up with ugly women. Women with lousy jobs who are blessed with good looks usually end up with financially stable men. Women with lousy jobs and not blessed with good looks are pretty much screwed because all men want from them is sex. The few men that want to marry them have little to nothing going for them in life.
 aPamela
Msg: 104
Posted: 4/9/2008 1:48:10 AM
So, you girls are telling the poster that the concept of a Soulmate is a myth?

We are all so wrapped up in ourselves that the entire concept is dead????
 tigerlily1
Msg: 105
Posted: 4/9/2008 2:02:30 AM
The relationships you people are talking about hardly sound like a soul mate relationship, you have all obviously had expereinces with people who were not suitable and if you examine those relationships will find you have made many errors in judgement and at some point your own spirit or gut feelings have told you to get out or break away anyway.......

your all missing the point and it just confirms the lack of understanding of the spiritual based relationship and pursuits that some people seek, and as you are confined to this way of living and choosign then by all means ask for the bank statement do your checks and get P I 's to investigate any potential partner becuase none of you are able to rely on your own gut (spiritual) feelings to make choices of any kind,

dont use the word soul mate incorrectly, it belittles the whole subject and that is the poster's point.

The world is full of imperfect human beings searching for perfection in their partners and not prepared to settle for anythign less, your searching for material fullfillment and security instead of spiritual fullment and perfection and that is why this planet is what it is today............

Chances are the soul mate who is poverty stricken at one chance meeting or union may well return across your path in the future stable and secure, but you will never know if you are not open and free of judgement and conditional love......

The only consequence is you will a life that lacks the spritiual contentment and fullfillment you may be missing in other relationships and will not find peace with anyone, and will never find the peice that is missing.

Good luck in finding a perfect partner and creating wealth, I amsure you will all live long and happy fullfilled lives.......

and you wonder you why you make bad choices,

The end
 tigerlily1
Msg: 106
Posted: 4/9/2008 2:13:04 AM
Some of you women who think you can pick and choose because of your looks, go ahead, because you will find yourself traded in at a very young age on a newer and hotter model,

The more money a man has the more material minded he becomes, a man keeps is vintage car in the garage, jsut the same as he keeps the old wife in the house, and if your lucky you may get some attention every other weekend, but usually they forget your there.........

I would liek to meet jsut one wealthy man or woman who is content and fullfilled and I have not met one yet, and I have met many wealthy people, I have walked out on more money thatn most people will ever see in a life time.

I will never regret it, their is such a thing as too much money
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 107
Posted: 4/9/2008 3:20:52 AM

Such salient commentary! Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Damn. Now I have to clean that coffee off my shiny new monitor.
 carolann0308
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2008 3:31:23 AM
Somehow I do not see myself having a 'soulmate' that cannot pay his Visa bill.
Call me shallow, but although I do believe you do not need to be in a high income bracket to be happy, I do know that when you can't pay your bills you're usually miserable.
 ComefromAway
Msg: 109
Posted: 4/9/2008 3:46:42 AM

The Bible states "money is the root of all evil"

insert irritating buzzer sound

The Bible says " the love of money is the root of all eveil."

1 Timothy 6:10 >

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New American Standard Bible
For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
King James Bible
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2008 7:49:05 AM
Tiger, I wonder if your attitude would be different if you had children under the age of 18. You have the luxury of doing whatever you want in a relationship, my decisions affect three other people that are currently incapable of taking care of themselves.

I also think it is interesting that you feel considering finances to be ridiculous and yet on another thread that clearly suggests that a young girl is working through leftover feelings from an X, you recommend that the guy run without even finding out the nature of the comment the girl made.

I assume that if it is the appropriate time for me to hook up with my soul mate, whom I assume would be adding to my life rather than detracting, we will not only find each other but be situated in such a way during THIS life that we compliment each other rather than one taking while the other does all the giving. I guess if your notion of a soul mate is correct that person who is the taker, the financially unstable one, is not a soul mate.

There is no way around the fact that I live in the real world where financial problems can eat away at even good relationships so no, I am not intentionally going into a relationship with someone that I know is going to make my life miserable. This is not a soul mate. Now, if I meet someone that is down on his luck and he wants to get his act together to illustrate that he cares enough about himself and me to add to instead of take away from my life, I will certainly maintain a friendship until he is in a place at which time he is actually ready for a relationship.

And OP, what do the monks eat? And who owns the land the monks live on? Do they not live off the largesse of others? When I find someone that is willing to support me while I pursue my spirituality I will then have the luxury of considering only someone's spiritual nature when I make decisions about being involved with someone.

And something totally off-topic, but isn't it a smidge materialistic to post photos of your vehicle on your profile? Or maybe that is just the sin of pride.
 MIman01
Msg: 111
Posted: 4/9/2008 8:07:04 AM

I have had more material wealth than most people, and at the end the day it means nothing and doesnt replace the comfort and security you have of knowing someone else is their with you.......

now THAT is the kind of woman I want :)
 Bloom10
Msg: 112
Posted: 4/9/2008 9:51:12 AM
For me it would be a problem. Love is everywhere and with everybody. Planning a long term relationship requires more than love.
 Capitano_Blaugh
Msg: 113
Posted: 4/9/2008 6:13:48 PM

Unfortunately the same does not apply in reverse. If most men find me pretty, then I get many suitors. If I have a wide range of suitors, odds are I will pick someone who has a lot going for them, including a good career and financial stability. People will say, "What about a great personality? What about a sense of humor? What about charm?" Well if you have enough suitors, you can find a range of financially stable men and find a few who are funny and have good personalities and are full of charm. Being financially stable doesn't preclude you from being a good catch or a good date.

Simple, beautiful truth.

I wish you well. Just remember to cash the chips in early enough to snag the best guy with the most assets in every respect just in case it doesn't work out, which is just as likely as not.

Cheers and, contrary to most of my posts, I mean everything in the best way because I like your honesty.

CoolBreezez
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2008 6:58:14 PM
Being financially stable doesn't preclude you from being a good catch or a good date.

Yes- to say someone is bad for being responsible ( calling them materialistic) is not right either.

You have to at least be on the same page- how you spend your money, how much you save and what your future plans are are important. If you both don't care if you live in a box, if you both want a house and to be debt free, if you both want to live in a mansion- then its good. But if two people have different expectations- then you have a problem.

I have a good job but don't need a large house, fancy car or toys to make me happy- they can be kind of a burden and do not really bring true happiness. At the same time I do not plan on being a burden to someone else- it's my way of being considerate and proof that I don't want someone for their money.

Soul mates should enhance each others lives- and showing true independence is a sign of strength- not weakness. It's something to bring to the party and contribute.

yokefellow2
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2008 7:10:01 PM
I am totally on board with you. What if you are with your "soulmate" in the midst of the dpression or war or a major health crisis? Isnt that what "for better or worse" is all about....whether financially, physically stable or not you would be there? Sheesh..this culture never ceases to amaze me with their self-centered, piggish behavior
 LawGirlVix
Msg: 116
Posted: 4/9/2008 8:18:04 PM
Financial - pertaining to monetary receipts and expenditures; pertaining or relating to money matters; pecuniary: financial operations

Stability - steadfastness; constancy, as of character or purpose:

I don’t see mention anywhere in either of those two definitions “must make a net income of $375,000.00 a year” - it’s not about the dollar amount, it’s what the person DOES with the income.

I’ve worked hard for my house, car, vacations, etc. I would expect that the person I chose to live the rest of my life with (“soul mate” for those of you who chose to use that terminology) would have the same goals and thoughts about financial planning and stability that I do. I chose to live within my means, save and invest part of my income every month, and know that if something horrible happens, I have planned for that day and can live comfortably off of part of my savings. Just as I would not lower my expectations or standards for behavior, I would not lower them pertaining to financial issues either.

Just my $0.02.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2008 9:47:07 PM
Not sure why I keep coming back to this thread; must reveal my own unfinished business with the notion of soulmates.

If there is a soulmate, it has everything to do with a meeting of spirit.
Most will not find a soulmate, their soulmate? in this lifetime.

In making finances front and centre, what most in this thread are speaking of is "a good partner" even perhaps, "a great partner"
Which is completely acceptable and wonderful, but is not a "soulmate"

It is like speaking of reincarnation (now I'm really getting hoo-hoo here) and everyone thinks they were Joan of Arc or King James (well, given his stance on witchcraft...) in a previous incarnation rather than a simple barmaid or stableboy.

Maybe people are completely resistant to giving up their dream of finding a soulmate who is everything to them - this one perfect person, with money, and life will be perfect forever more?

I dunno... I do know that when you get hooked by something, there's an inner message you can listen to if you're willing.
 Evenor
Msg: 118
Posted: 4/9/2008 10:21:31 PM
You know if everyone waited until the other person had the right amount of money, hardly anyone would be in any serious relationship. Spending time focusing on what you can get out of a relationship, instead of what you can put into it, quickly ends any relationship. Plus a true soulmate wouldn't care what happens, they will love you and be with you reguardless of what troubles life brings and not trying to bail out the first sign of trouble. Life is about change, it's the basis of our very being. Society these days has deemed it nessessary for people to look for financial stability and other things as a basis of relationships and spend all that time wondering why 50% of marriages in the US end in devorce, 49% of marriages have at least one of them cheating at least once... We are not even 100% feeling/thinking/saying/doing the same things exactly like the day before. So to place values in such changing things such as how much money someone has, or good looks as even movie stars don't look like that off the set, you are not going to have any serious successful relationship of any kind. So all people can really do to figure it out is either take advice from others who have been down that road, or learn the hard way for themself...
 ~SpiffyKat~
Msg: 119
Posted: 4/10/2008 1:57:36 AM
Ive really enjoyed perusing this thread.Everyone has their own defnition of what they think a soulmate is,and I completely respect everyones opinion.Who are we to decide what or whom makes someone elses soul feel complete regardless of how Websters chooses to define it?I believe we all have more than one soul mate.I think a persons child,parent,romantic partner,friend,(whether opposite or same sex:)or even a teacher can be a soulmate.There is a certain interconnectedness of souls , a kindredness you feel,and a level of understanding shared between two people who are soulmates that is beyond an average relationship connection.It isnt about just being able to finish one anothers sentences,or sharing the same interests,but a validation of soul and existance that is beyond the everyday.It transcends everything and cant be ignored.I do,however believe that a person who is your soulmate neednt be a romantic parnter in order for that person to have a significant impact and a great and inherent importance in your life.It is definately a spiritual connection.:)The thing is though,I work very hard to pay the bills and take care of myself and my daughter,so in order for me to be in a romantic relationship with someone longterm,soulmate or not,it would be incredibly important they are able to stand on their own two feet financially as well.Practicality does take the romance out of it doesnt it? While I strongly value soulmate connections,I also value my own survival and my daughters as well. I wouldnt want to take on anyone elses financial burdens in a longterm relationship.If a person falls on hard times,then shows the drive and tenacity it takes to rectify the situation,and does so in a timely fashion,then that would be someone I would consider being with,especially if the soulmate connection was there.:)Kat
 BelieveTheHype
Msg: 120
Posted: 4/10/2008 6:45:02 AM
I personally am someone who wants a financially stable companion. I married a woman who was not, to the fault of my own poor judgment -- of the woman, not her financial situation. She was down on her luck and hat hit some snags in the road, which is why I didn't let it bother me. I myself say that I want a woman who is emotino-soci0-economically stable -- which in my definition means in part that she can support herself without the requirement of having me help her live the lifestyle she wants at present. I have met too many women who are just getting by, lying in wait until they get the man who is going to elevate them from the borderline to what they should be able to achieve on their own. A woman who is a good steward over her own finances is going to bring those habits to our finances -- consequently, economic issues notwithstanding, the barometer for a person's financial prowess has been their 'stability' if you will. This is FAR different from someone saying that they are looking for someone well off to help them pay for lipo and the sort, and it is different from being with your true love and sticking it through with them in richer and poorer...
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2008 7:28:31 AM
Isn't the very definition of a "soul mate" one who shares your points of view, goals, ideals, etc? I don't think that the problem is that

at least 50 percent or more are looking for their soulmate who is financial stable.
I think the problem is that YOU'RE looking for your "sole mate"....and want THEM to be financially stable.(otherwise you wouldn't be looking a people who fit that criteria) That would seem to automatically exclude them from actually being a soul mate....because the 2 of you would start off by having totally different views on financial matters.

First of all, you're going to have to find someone who agrees with you that Michigan's financial woes began with the Bush administration....and quite frankly....well, I just don't know if there are that many cave dwellers out here. Michigan's downfall began in the early 1970's with the first "oil crisis" (circa 1973)....remember....that was when gasoline prices jumped from 23 CENTS a gallon to 75 cents a gallon overnight...and people were terrified that it was going to reach as high as an outrageous $1.50 a gallon and the whole country would collapse! Michigan officials (as far as I know, Bush was always in Texas) lived in denial (an still are) thinking that the American auto industry would regain it's 84% market share. Add to that, the state officials (Michigan) who refused to budge an inch with some tax incentives when the industry which made up 90% of the states tax base was struggling not only with re-designing and retooling for smaller more fuel efficient autos, but also dealing with facilities that were falling apart from age. The industry simply "moved out", and relocated in places that were willing to give them some tax breaks in exchange for the creation of thousands of good paying jobs for people with few or no skills.

It's perfectly fine for a state to decide that they don't want one type of economic base, but I'd think that perhaps they might want to have some other options FIRST. Even so, it's 40 YEARS....come on!!! What's taking you guys so long to decide what you want to be when you grow up? Make a plan, stick with it.....I'm sorry, but the South will NOT rise again, and Michigan is never going to be the industrial capital of the World again. It was nice while it lasted...but it's over.

Just stop looking for a "soul mate" who accept's these realities in life. The fact that they will understand certain facts of history will automatically disqualify them as a "soul mate" for you. You need someone who will similarly bury their head in the dirt and cry about spilled milk.....which...dude...was spilled right around the time you were getting born! I think it's a little sour by now!

Another suggestion might be to LEAVE Michigan....but....nahhhh, unthinkable.

And by the way, please quote correctly ! NO, the Bible does NOT say that "money is the root of all evil". It says......
For the LOVE of money is the root of all evil; which while some have coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
1 Timothy 6:10
 Merrylass
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2008 8:03:24 AM
i dont care about someones finances. If you truly LOVE someone then it shouldnt matter, should it?! ... heck, I could be stranded on a deserted island with my soulmate and i would be happy as a lark... I am NOT materialistic!

Ah - another person who has not actually tried to live the 'soul mate' existence. The concept of an idealized life of love and butterflies in which money doesn't matter is just a fantasy. When you live with someone, real life cannot help but intrude and no matter how much you think 'love is everything', you will soon find that the details of living in this world trump love very often.

If you think you'd be fine on a deserted island, go do it. Learn to hunt and fish and how to make a shelter for yourself and to take care of yourself medically should a crisis arise. People who make such statements have little grasp of reality - that in itself would preclude them from being a 'soul mate' of mine.

Most people described marriage as a partnership of equals and maybe in this earthly game if your interested only in survival of your body and dont care about spiritual things or matters pertaining to the soul, then that would be the correct approach but to a buddhist the soul has much more significance than the body and their earthly lives are devoted to matters of the soul.

Well, here's a bulletin for you. The man who was a Buddhist monk who was the Dalai Lama's translator for many years is now married. I heard him speak. Life, he says, when married with a family, is very different from living in a Buddhist monastery. He has children to feed and shelter - no amount of 'soulmate love' can put bread in you kid's mouths, no matter how badly you want to believe that Tinkerbell really exists and Fantasyland is real (clap your hands!).

The Material shallow world is closing around in around us and the population can't figure out what is wrong with society.

Oh hogwash. It's not about being 'materialistic'. It's about being responsible with your funds so that you aren't struggling to maintain the basic necessities of life.

I think it's hilarious that the OP brags of his Firebird - a gas-guzzling, high insurance piece of ego boost. Right there that shows that he's pretty darn materialistic and, if he's poor, that he hasn't realized that selling that thing and getting a fuel economy car and not buying beer might help him get out of his financial morass.

See, OP, that's the point. There are things you could be doing to become more financially stable, but rather than pursuing ways to get yourself out of the rut, you dream of a woman who'll love you 'just the way you are' even if that happens to be 'irresponsible with money'. Good luck with that.

What if you are with your "soulmate" in the midst of the dpression or war or a major health crisis?

Not the point and not what's being discussed here.
 MIman01
Msg: 123
Posted: 4/10/2008 6:48:44 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs

Maslows's Heierarchy of needs. Look at the Pyrmaid. It tells what point each person is at in their lives. You start at level ONE and work your way to the top.

Level 1 is basic primal needs, like ANIMALS.

* Physiological needs
These are the basic animal needs for such things as food, warmth, sex, water, and other body needs. If a person is hungry or thirsty or his body is chemically unbalanced, all of his energies turn toward remedying these deficiencies, and other needs remain inactive. Maslow explains that, "Anyone who attempts to make an emergency picture into a typical one, and who will measure all of man's goals and desires by his behavior during extreme physiological deprivation, is certainly blind to many things. It is quite true that man lives by bread alone — when there is no bread".[1]

The physiological needs of the organism (those enabling homeostasis) take first precedence. These consist mainly of (in opposite order of importance):

Excretion
Eating
Drinking
Breathing
If some needs are not fulfilled, a human's physiological needs take the highest priority. Physiological needs can control thoughts and behaviors, and can cause people to feel sickness, pain, and discomfort.

Most of you sons a ****es are at LEVEL 1, your so worried about feeding your face you cant be concerned about the higher levels in the pyrmaid. The concept of a Soulmate is out of reach for ya'll for at least a few more pay raises.

LOL
 MIman01
Msg: 124
Posted: 4/10/2008 7:30:55 PM
Now some of you sluts fall into level 2 but if your not getting LAID your still in level 1 suprise ****ING suprise, predicatable muth a ****ers.

Level 2

Safety needs
With his physical needs relatively satisfied, the individual's safety needs take over and dominate his behavior. These needs have to do with man's yearning for a predictable, orderly world in which injustice and inconsistency are under control, the familiar frequent, and the unfamiliar rare. In the world of work, these safety needs manifest themselves in such things as a preference for job security, grievance procedures for protecting the individual from unilateral authority, savings accounts, insurance policies, and the like.

For the most part physiological and safety needs are reasonably well satisfied in our affluent and relatively lawful society. The obvious exceptions, of course, are people outside the mainstream — the poor, the disadvantaged, and members of minority groups. If frustration has not led to apathy and weakness, such people still struggle to satisfy the basic physiological and safety needs. They are primarily concerned with survival: obtaining adequate food, clothing, shelter, and seeking justice from the dominant societal groups.

Safety needs include:

Personal security from crime
Financial security
Health and well-being
Safety net against accidents/illness and the adverse impacts

Still not ready for the concept of a SOULMATE yet, even at level 2

But at least you sorry beatches are getting laid, so the man at level 2 isnt going to be exploiting the dating pool for sexual gratification to satisfy his PRIMAL, animal needs.

Only problem is, I dont think there is many people on ANY dating site AT level 2 and certainly very few beyond level 2. Most Americans on any dating site are sexually repressed and are basically looking for SEX, LEVEL 1
 Spitfire1956
Msg: 125
Posted: 4/10/2008 7:57:21 PM
My soul mate was far from rich monetary wise..but he was much richer in every other way. We were perfect for each other on every level....but we were also opposites. Opposites attract..and I believe it. He was the one who worked in law firms, police departments..and I always worked mostly as a waitress. But, he never looked down on me because of where I worked, or anything. He was a special man...in every sense of the word!! Soul mates compliment each other, and their love is unconditional. When I met him..we lived in the back of a van for 2 weeks, and I went almost a month with nothing to eat, telling him I wasn't hungry and let him eat what we had..because he needed the strength for work. At that time I wasn't working. In the long run..it worked out, and every trial and tribulation we went through only brought us that much closer together. We were never rich, or had much money..but we were wealthy in every other way..
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > what if your "soul mate" is NOT financial stable