Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 restless_native
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Fake profiles - what's the point?Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
But what's the point?? Why would someone do this?

Apparently some people just get a buzz from winding people up and leading them on, organising meetings and not turning up, that kind of thing. I don't know if it's true. But, that's what I heard.
 restless_native
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Fake profiles - what's the point?
Posted: 4/10/2008 2:27:10 AM

Ahh....I sense a victim of my friend's pranks...sorry to hear you were sucked in...or perhaps you might have enjoyed that....

No. I think I'm just a bit confused. I get a bit like that when someone asks a question to which they've already given me the answer.

Sorry. Did you want a different answer?

I know......hippopotamus.
 restless_native
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2008 3:24:48 AM
also,there seems to be a bit of the BTMHH in there too

OK. I'll bite. What's BTMHH?
 restless_native
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2008 3:33:27 AM
bitter twisted man hating harpy

Oh right. We usually just call them POFers on here.
 forum_moderator
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2008 5:10:20 AM

totally uncalled for and should be banned from pof

Here is how to report them, in order for that to happen

--> How To Report Members for Forum, Profile, POF eMail Abuse, SPAM or Scams

restless_native
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2008 5:21:00 AM
He/she also feels that the majority of people who ask a question "on behalf of a friend" are actually referring to themselves

Does your friend know what irony is?
 pantsonfire
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2008 5:29:00 AM
This site is rife with 'fake' profiles, there is even a group on another well known social networking site where these people openly confess to their fake profiles and even advise how to bypass the IP tracing the moderators use to permanently block an IP address..

I am me, take me or leave me but there is nothing fake about me and I don't ever have to hide behind fakery, those who do are cowards, if you have the courage of your convictions then have the balls to be who you really are..

As for using a fake profile to raise your ( the fake not you OP) cyber bed post notch tally... How utterly sad ..
 restless_native
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2008 6:05:23 AM
I actually decided to give this matter a little thought. Yes. I am a bit bored today.

It did occur to me that for some people using a fake profile can just be simply a form of escape from reality. Maybe they just enjoy having an alter ego who isn't constrained by what actually goes on in their usual every day lives. I'd mention Walter Mitty. But, that would probably make me sound like an old fart and I imagine most people won't know who he is anyway. So I won't.

Apparently people do this kind of thing all the time in places like Second Life. Although I know that a dating site probably isn't the appropriate place for it I think I can understand what might motivate some people to do it.

I also think I should come clean myself. After due consideration I have decided that I am actually a product of my own imagination. I'm very disappointed that I couldn't imagine someone better looking and a lot more interesting.
 Talk4England
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2008 4:29:52 PM
Put their profile on dishingthedirt*co*uk
 Talk4England
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2008 2:50:28 PM
Hey Gucci Girl
I'm a 6'4" international rugby playing (when not doing polo) mega billionaire.
You probably have heard of my cousins johnny depp & orlando bloom.
Fancy a date ?
 Lorri55
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2008 3:37:43 PM
she sounds like one sad lady.....and a cruel one at that.
People have feelings and she should remember that
 Lorri55
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2008 3:41:35 PM
oops.....am i being dim...whats the OP?
 Gut_Reaction
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2008 3:44:06 PM

oops.....am i being dim...whats the OP?

Old person.
 restless_native
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2008 9:39:08 AM

C'mon now people. Stop getting at the OP.

None of us 'perfect. We all have done something wrong/bad in our life. Have mercy. Her friend has deleted her account.

Cue that song by Duffy!
#Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrcy..#

Stop trying to be nice. You're not fooling anyone you know.
 restless_native
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2008 9:55:01 AM

I am not trying to be nice. I am nice through and through. I am a lovely person, a very caring, lovely and nice person.. etcs..
I am full of goodness.. etcs. And all things nice is me.

The only logical explanation is that someone else has obtained Fierce Fishs' password and is posting in her name

Fake!
 Gut_Reaction
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2008 10:10:54 AM
I do believe FF has sold a Lilliput Lane Village today and at top dollar cash and not 5% to the credit card company.

vvv or the company has faked them themselves, I saw a number of wanted adverts for dating site profiles recently, yes some rogues buy them in with pics (usually from sites in the States) and false details.
 aquaplane
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2010 5:14:20 PM
No such thing as a fake profile.

Someone may be looking for a short term shag in one profile, as most folk are, male and female, just to scratch an itch.

But if someone turns up that they can live with they will stick with them. That may not be likely if they apear too easy.

Long term thay may want to settle down with someone, if it seems right.

So long as they are only seeing one punter from either profile at once what's the problem, no one is being decieved.
 lenag
Msg: 87
Posted: 12/26/2010 5:29:11 AM
The whole thing is one of the reasons women on here are single! You have all these losers who play games, lie, stalk, cheat, use any means necessary to get what they WANT!! That screws the decent women on here, and that really bites! Hope karma pays her a visit.
 Strider886
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2011 2:55:42 AM
Something i've noticed recently...

I'll get a message and start chatting to some interested lady, then a week later I get a "sexy" message from another young lady who probably showing far too much flesh and is looking for "encounters" and all that.

The similar grammatical errors, similar use of words, similar locations, contradicting information, lack of more than one photo on the "sexy" profile, they all set alarm bells ringing.... But the icing on the cake is when the first lady casually asks "are you chatting to anyone else?".

Sometimes however I notice profiles that might be almost identical, but one will admit to having children and the other will not. One might say she's skinny, the other fat.
It's almost like some people feel the need to "test" the rest of us to see what puts us off!!!

Well, I'll give you a clue for free.... Fake profiles, lies and dishonesty put us off ;)
 badge73
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2011 3:24:27 AM
fake profiles on the internet? and of all places .... a dating site? nah would not believe it

just a shame someone off the tv could not do a documentry of a fake profiler, be even better if it was that louis bloke off bbc2, imagine his line of questioning when they are beating away at the keyboard and watch their face when he asks them why? and better would be the responces .....

"ooooo that nasty admin banned me for being an idiot, i will make up a false profile and really show them what an idiot can do!"

"she really gets on my tits with the amount of online attention, il show her and bring her down to earth"

"only want to see if they are cheating, but two wrongs do make a right, and after all im doing it as well, god help them if they chat to anyone in tescos without permission"

yes the internet has its fair share of fake profiles and scammers, but then again walking around our town centre so does the real world .......
 Marquis_de_Michaelmas
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2011 9:23:20 AM
I reckon I might be missing out here! Either I am waltzing around with rose tinted sunglasses or I have led a very sheltered life and don't know a rogue from a priest!
I haven't come across any so called fakes to my knowledge! What should I look for and how can I possibly tell and further more if they are any good where can I sign up for some?
 XOtamara
Msg: 127
Posted: 9/25/2012 6:54:00 AM
Mean selfish ****
people looking for love do not need her BS
 blakpearla
Msg: 133
Posted: 10/3/2012 9:22:30 AM
Whats the point indeed! Maybe you should ask the pedoes, perverts and weirdos like your friend, or the rapists, murderers, sadists, masochists and people who are up to no good who want to do bad things and get away with it, like your "friend" with a fake profile. She needs to get a life, she has very bad karma and no conscience, and let her know that what goes around comes around 10 fold. Makes me wonder why you would have such a friend??? Guess birds of a feather???
 Warren_Evans
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2012 12:55:04 PM
I'd say that's fine. There are a lot of players on here and she's just playing them at their own game.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >