Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating within' your "League"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Countryboy_toronto
Msg: 101
Dating within' your LeaguePage 5 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)
Hmm interesting question really.

Do 'leagues' exist? I think they do to an extend, but most are self-imposed. I think there are certain minimum 'bars' or 'standards' that you ultimately have to clear but other than that it's pretty much open season.

I am definitely not a 10 but have certainly pursued, dated and 'had' women who were over the past few years. I think that for the most part you have to clear a certain minimum standard of looks, education, and professional success to have a shot with someone. I don't think that only university educated people date other university educated people, only 10's date 10's, and only the wealthy date the wealthy.

For the most part if you have a decent job, are relatively intelligent, aren't a troll in terms of looks, healthy / fit and can hold reasonable conversation with someone only have a shot with pretty much anyone. Of the above criteria the only thing that you can't control are your looks, and even then you can through hygeine, clothes, and a few reasonably priced consumer products make yourself look better.
 pandusvenator
Msg: 102
Dating within' your League
Posted: 12/2/2009 3:06:32 PM
I'm sure leagues exist as personal perceptions.

Nothing is out of my league.
 Defensor Fortis
Msg: 103
Posted: 12/2/2009 3:06:48 PM
How do you know what "league" your in? haha I was trying to figure out what "league" to classify myself into, but came up blank.
 DarkKent
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2009 3:12:11 PM
I don't really think about leagues...I hang out with some REALLY attractive women...I go out with some average...some meh, just depends. I used to think that it mattered until I realized exactly who I was getting attention from. Strangely i've had better luck with women I at one point would have seen as out of my league and ignored by a few well fed trolls, go figure. You have to be a realist though, most people act for personal gain, it does well to use yourself as bait, pretend to be aloof and watch their actions.
 DarkKent
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2009 3:13:56 PM
Best way to get the attention of the most attractive woman in the office...say "excuse me" and politely/professionally move past her to get to something or continue working. Be friendly without giving her the time of day, once she realizes you're not gay and if you actually have something to talk about...boom.
 Countryboy_toronto
Msg: 106
Posted: 12/2/2009 3:17:28 PM

Best way to get the attention of the most attractive woman in the office...say "excuse me" and politely/professionally move past her to get to something or continue working. Be friendly without giving her the time of day, once she realizes you're not gay and if you actually have something to talk about...boom.

Dude. Does the phrase "Don't shit where you eat" mean anything to you? I mean, I'm all for the tactic that you're using but IMO work is completely off limits.
 DarkKent
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2009 3:19:33 PM

Trust me there are and they DO exist. Can you see ME approaching say Jennifer Aniston and her actually saying "yes, I'd love to go out with you" I think not, would never happen even if I DID have a sh*t load of cash. She's simply out of my league.

Wasn't she dating that one actor that looks like if he goes to sleep "THEY" will come and get him..the restless looking dude. Argh, whats his name....looks had nothing to do with that. As far as the actresses....i can't judge men that well but most male actors don't look like models at all. And in their own defense..ok some of the women look better but I still see better when out regularly. Some of the ladies are as crazy as cat sh*t but they're out there. LoL!
 DarkKent
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2009 3:22:34 PM
No not really...it did for a while but to be honest. You meet people WHERE YOU CAN MEET PEOPLE. I'm more into being the perfect partner instead of meeting the perfect partner. I don't block my emotions in any way but if it doesn't work...it's as simple as that...i cringe for a day or two, then you're dismissed. Whether I dump her or she dumps me...i can guarantee that I won't be the one bringing a malicious wrong to the relationship. If it's her doing....fine, leave me alone. If its something she FELT I did...I can only ask her "really..." a few times and they tend to just drop it.

But if you must know my parents worked at the same place for some 30 years. =)
 Leagueofextraordinarymen
Msg: 109
Posted: 12/2/2009 3:56:41 PM
There are leagues; Social status, Professions(not as much), Money; I'm sure all of us on here attend the local bar in the Hammond's, 100$ cover charge and a round of drinks for 300$ for 6 . It's more about social status. You see it on here in the forums, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but "social status" is well lets just say "out of some peoples league". I'm sure everyone is running around looking to date a person who is unemployed for what ever reason.
Not knocking people on welfare,but there are bars known just for that status, and there are bars, that most people would not want to put on a suit to get into, just because, yet some people wear a suit everyday and wouldn't think twice about it. Your average joe or jane, would not stand a chance with the social elitists, sure they might be attracted to you, but your not getting in unless your shoes are worth as much as your car.
The Arab Emirates is a class (league) of its own ,no one on this site would crack that code.
 DarkKent
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2009 4:37:35 PM
With that said, i'll say i'm middle class and at the same time I have some very rich friends and I'm around people with a lot of money, it depends. Some carry an eliteness to them, some...are very calm and just look for cool people that won't screw them over and aren't after their money. With that said Ive seen very rich people date 'bum's all the time. In HS my buddys gfs house cost about $10mil, and this is in north carolina, you can imagine the size and structure of that house, ridiculous. He's probably upper middle class, but her dad....yeah. Really really old money.

Sigh...must I get in to ultra shape, draw attention on the internet and seduce Oprah just to prove a point. Joking, I can't prove it...but i have a strong suspicion that that woman likes the softer softer halfs.
 sweetlikesugarcane
Msg: 111
Posted: 12/2/2009 4:48:44 PM
I don't think people understand what people mean by "leagues".

It has nothing to do with a hot girl dating a not-so-hot guy. That is normal! Look at all of the pretty celebrities. What percentage of them have been with average looking men like Angelina Jolie and Billy Bob. Or Beyonce and Jay Z.

Even much older men or overweight men can get a "hot" girl if the guy has what she wants- usually money, but sometimes just someone who treats her well.
 DarkKent
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 12/2/2009 5:05:17 PM
Well break it down a little....i've read every post but I might be missing something.

Maybe Beyonce has a thing for soup coolers Dunno, I don't think I could use money to bring an attractive woman to me. There would have to be a lot of tests, hoop jumping and i'd probably lose respect.

So good looks to money doesn't necessarily = a league to me. More so desperation meet greed. I'd say i'd have to look for chemistry but women become such d*mn good actors once they see something they want.
 Countryboy_toronto
Msg: 113
Posted: 12/2/2009 5:26:24 PM
Haha, @DarkKent

Interesting that your parents work at the same place for 30 years. That's impressive. I think that it can work -- but for the most part every work place relationship I've seen has ended in some kind of relative 'disaster' at the end of it. I just think there are enough decent places to meet women offline without having to meet someone at work. But hey, if you meet the person you want to spend the rest of your life with there, great! You just better be damn sure haha.

As for 'leagues' -- I think someone correctly identified that socio-economic status is the biggest one. And I don't think someone who is upper middle class (150G+ household incomeish) is in a different league that someone who is 'lower-class rich' -- 500G + / year.

There may a few strata that are hard to breach (likely not too many millionaires hanging out in the trailer park) but for the most part I think that the vast majority of the people on this site will fall into the lower-middle class to upper-middle class range for the most part. I have absolutely no data to prove this, but just my sense from my own personal interactions on here so far.
 Defensor Fortis
Msg: 114
Posted: 12/2/2009 5:42:34 PM

Dude. Does the phrase "Don't shit where you eat" mean anything to you? I mean, I'm all for the tactic that you're using but IMO work is completely off limits

My parents worked at the same place for 20ish years its where they met. A lot of people meet at work or work related events. I'm definitely with Darkkent on this one. Take "Don't shit where you eat" as a phrase, because that's only what it is.
 flowersof
Msg: 115
Posted: 12/2/2009 6:18:39 PM
I'm not superficial, but they're leagues. If you're not used to talking to insanely beautiful, intelligent women, it's going to show when you talk to her. She's going to think to herself, does that guy date women like me? If her answer is no, then you could say that you're not in her league. Girls will pretty much only date guys they think date women like them. Why would she want to lower her "status" when she can get equal or higher. I mean guys, when you see some huge women, is she on the same social level as you? Likely not. As unfortunate as that is, it's just what it is. On a were all created equal sense (as merely human beings), yes of course we are all on the same level. One thing I should mention is that there are many ways to achieve a higher status and many types of status. It's not all about the benjamin's.
 sugania
Msg: 116
Posted: 12/2/2009 6:33:51 PM
Personnally men who beleive this stuff is pure crapola:) u never know what girls are going to be attracted to ..one of my closest friends is a model who actually dated a paralyzed man for a good period of time...he had the guts to ask her and she actually liked him alot...another girl i know is like barbie beautiful then u meet her husband lumpy short balding ,...we could do this all night ... i also know women who have better jobs thn their signifigant other ...it happens all the time just take assertive men who are willing to try it out:)
 Technical Buddha
Msg: 117
Posted: 12/3/2009 2:24:44 AM

Visualize a male chihuahua. Okay, now try to visualize him attempting to mount a full grown female great dane in heat.

that great dane is out of his league, but got to give him kudos for trying !
 Kiddo_Kam
Msg: 118
Posted: 12/3/2009 5:28:51 AM
From what I know, when people say things like that they are referring to physical looks or social status as you put it, in which case your'e exactly right. The idea of "leagues" is completely retarded and anyone who would say something like you're friend did, "...don't bother; she's waaay out of your league" obviously has self esteem issues. The idea of "leagues" or social echelons or whatever the **** you want to call it lol, is an invented social hierarchy imposed by "society". It's perpetuated by those who are insecure, both those who feel inferior and those who "want to feel" superior (who are also in fact insecure lol)
 isaidit
Msg: 119
Posted: 12/18/2009 7:13:22 PM
Well, after losing out an opportunity for two great guys in my life because of my fear of not being in their "league", I've stopped that BS. Now that I'm single again, I don't care what the guys public status is, his looks, family, etc. I deserve a great guy as much as the next gal does. Those two guys both ended up marrying gals just like me...they weren't beauty queens, rich or anything special about them. I will not fear rejection because if i don't even try then I've already lost, eh?
 Backlolz
Msg: 120
Posted: 12/18/2009 7:38:00 PM
league is defined by the men/women they are getting. if britney spears become a total wash up you could be in her league.
 -Darkfall+
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2009 7:41:33 PM

if britney spears become a total wash up you could be in her league.

She already got there through Kevin Federline.
 VF102
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2009 5:00:15 AM
Around here (DC Metro) league is $ and education.

My league is 80+K a year and a 4 year degree.

Jason the Fed
 **Old_Soul**
Msg: 123
Posted: 12/19/2009 6:04:58 AM
are we in school again?? all these leagues and status' reminds me of having categories like in school popular neutral geeks. sheesh i thought when you finished highschool we got rid of these tags but it seems some people (both genders ) still act like highschoolers than adults. one last thing you cant help who you fall for, you might not have liked that nerd and said " i will never be with that!" . Then one day you fall for the thing that you were avoiding, ahh life.
 EmotionallyDetached
Msg: 124
Posted: 12/19/2009 8:36:37 AM
Stay away from snobs and high maintenance peeps.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 125
Posted: 12/19/2009 9:49:53 AM
I agree totally. "League" for me is actually the criteria I list in my profile. For instance, I want a man who like myself, has at least a bachelor's degree. If a man has a high school education, I don't consider him to be "in my league" even if he makes more money than I do. I would never expect a man who is interested in me to meet any criteria that I haven't met myself, so in that respect, I stay within my own "league".
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating within' your "League"