Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Another BC Mountie caught in online dating      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 winterfall10
Msg: 51
Another BC Mountie caught in online datingPage 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Read the article, it is still there.

This was not a new officer, by the accounts provided in the article. They asked him to remove any images of himself in RCMP gear and he did.

The RCMP’s chief concern for members revealing their jobs in online dating and social interaction sites such as Facebook and Myspace is operational, Ward said.

“That’s the bigger concern. You might be telling people where you work, who you are, what you are doing,” he said.

I have heard this from RCMP officers I have as friends previously. RCMP officers get targeted for blackmailing, frivolous lawsuits and other nonsense all the time. It is more for the protection of the officer than the RCMP to address these types of issues.

Espavo you made two comments that I am intrigued by. First, you assume that RCMP recruitment and training is not good. This officer was more of a veteran by all accounts, so this appears to be a bad judgment call rather than a rookie mistake, or something overlooked from entrance. Beyond that though, knowing several people who have tried to be officers and failed (and several who completed the training) it is by no means easy. There area great many people who try to become RCMP officers and don't, so I can't imagine them reducing the quality to attract more potential candidates.

Secondly, your comment about him not looking for a LTR at all. The guy was 49 at the time, most men at that age are more likely to want a LTR than a cheap fling. Beyond that though, you continue with your thoughts of lying in online profiles. You haven't read his profile, I don't even know if you read the article with some juicy quotes for the readers. Suggesting that something you know very little about is him "lying" would be like my suggesting you are here just to have some "fun".

Sometimes, things are exactly as they seem, no major conspiracies or anything else. I read this as a guy who was looking to meet someone to share his life with him, had some specific wants, and made a mistake by putting up a picture of himself in work attire. His boss objected and he corrected the mistake.

This isn't really even newsworthy.
 VeganCat
Msg: 52
Another BC Mountie caught in online dating
Posted: 2/24/2010 11:44:14 AM

Espavo you made two comments that I am intrigued by. First, you assume that RCMP recruitment and training is not good.

It was a general comment that had nothing to do with the thread. My error in putting that comment in the wrong place.

You have your view, I have mine. Im 53 so I've been around the block a few times and am not as 'gullable' as some younger people or older people for that matter. Some people never learn. You can't say people don't lie on their profiles, whether he is an rcmp officer or not, people lie.

Maybe things are exactly as they seem but the odds are, they're not. Prove me wrong.
 white_flag
Msg: 53
Posted: 2/24/2010 12:15:02 PM
Ummm, do you believe every ad on a website for some form or other for a relationship is really that persons truth? He 'may' have said he's looking for LT but, even with my slip of the 'pen' believe he was looking for sex. Thats my truth of the matter. I don't believe he was looking for LT at all.

You really want to brush stroke everyone like that? Wow, you're even more cynical than I am; and that's incredibly sad.

You have your view, I have mine. Im 53 so I've been around the block a few times and am not as 'gullable' as some younger people or older people for that matter. Some people never learn. You can't say people don't lie on their profiles, whether he is an rcmp officer or not, people lie.

And you throw in the age thing? Awesome. Just because you've "been around the block a few times" doesn't mean you've actually learned anything. Declaring those of us younger than you as "gullable(sic)" is a rather cheap shot. You manage to discredit any wisdom those of us younger than you possess; wisdom that in your years may have not formed due to being in a clearly different generation. You can say people lie in their profiles, and yes people -do- lie, but I have to wonder what has made you be so prepared to strike everyone off as a liar when, in essence, you know next to nothing about this man and only what a media, lusting after possible controversy, will say about him.

Again, I wonder what's made you so cynical in your life; maybe I'm just young and gullible, but while I am cautious of people, I also try not to interject past experiences on people I don't even know.
 Entzauberung
Msg: 54
Posted: 2/24/2010 12:42:41 PM
^^^ Msg 53

Well said Stenoslave, well said!!

I think you speak for many of us.
 winterfall10
Msg: 55
Posted: 2/25/2010 12:38:33 AM

Prove me wrong.

I appreciate your attempt to cut this conversation short by creating a situation with virtually impossible criteria. You seem to be inflexible to the idea that there are many possible situations here, which is unfortunate.

Neither you nor I know all the facts, and it would be just as easy to suggest you "prove me wrong" as well. However, I haven't the need to be right or wrong. What I would like to say though is this.

Your suggesting people lie on profiles may be mis-worded, but it reads to myself that all people lie on their profiles. This is really not fair to everyone who uses these services, yourself included. Should we then, the populace of PoF and perhaps other dating sites not trust that the profiles of people we meet are not 100% accurate? Why should I limit the scope that people lie to just a website? Should I expect people to lie all the time? Should I distrust the words of my own mother or father, as they too are likely liars?

You see, this line of thought degenerates quickly.

You resurrected this thread and a few people got interested. If you had stopped after the first sentence in your first post, it would have been fine. You however decided to read into the situation beyond the facts provided and make assumptions which appear to be completely baseless.

I guess it comes down to a question. Why is your opinion in this situation as such? Why do you believe that people are liars, and to what capacity?

I won't fault you if don't reply, but I am always interested the reasoning behind people standing by such negative ideas.
 VeganCat
Msg: 56
Posted: 3/4/2010 8:58:58 AM

You really want to brush stroke everyone like that? Wow, you're even more cynical than I am; and that's incredibly sad.

Look who's calling the kettle black. lol

Assumptions are made but I talk from experience. I maybe cynical but it is based on, again, on experience. I ALWAYS give a person a benefit of the doubt, but I've been let down time and time again; its just the way it has been going.

I don't disagree that there are great people out there, ones that don't lie and I am certainly not painting everyone with the same brush as I've been accused of, yet you make assumptions, hence my statement "Look who's calling the kettle black".

Really good people are few and far between.

Life makes you less gullable.

Why is your opinion in this situation as such? Why do you believe that people are liars, and to what capacity?

Life.

As far as to 'what capacity' .... lol .... to the capacity of what is ever presented to me.
 barefootkitten
Msg: 57
Posted: 3/4/2010 10:58:42 AM
Are you saying then, espavo, that everything in your profile is a lie?

You call it life experience, I call it cynicism. You know, if you look for the bad in people you will surely find it. Call me naive, but personally, I'd rather look for the good.
 VeganCat
Msg: 58
Posted: 3/4/2010 1:25:25 PM
I don't know kitten, maybe everything in my profile is a lie...then again, maybe it isn't. How would you know? How would I know if everything you say in your profile is true or not? Proof is in the pudding...isn't it?

LOL!!!! How does a person get cynical? By living a few years on this planet. Thats called life experience. You go from not knowing about life and people to having some life experiences that would rattle your very core. It will change you from being trusting and gullable to cynical and cautious. Meet a few real evil people on this planet and your outlook becomes changed.... forever. Do I really have to explain it? LOL!!!!!

Did I say I was looking for bad? No........ I can spot it much easier than I did when I was in my 20's and 30's. Yes, naivety seems to be true about you; I don't mean that in a derogatory way. Some days I wish I was that innocent naive girl of my 20's and 30's...but I'm not anymore; just more wiser. Maybe that is what I am, not so much a cynic, just wiser. I always look for the good but you know, you can't be blind to the bad. It can bite you real hard.

A person can be a wise and a positive person at the same time.

Frankly, I find much of the comments very funny and defensive when it need not be. Its just my opinion, if you don't like it, thats OK. Im not going to rain on your parade because you take exception. I'll save arguments for something more worthy to argue about.
 white_flag
Msg: 59
Posted: 3/4/2010 1:51:18 PM
I feel sorry for you, Espavo. I feel sorry that life has handed you such a bad hand that you are forced to be on the look out for the bad eggs. It must be very exhausting to do so. I won't waste any more time on this because clearly, your mind has been made up as to the reasons behind many things, whether your logic is sound or not, and I have no desire to argue with someone who believes that no matter what, they are right and have earned that 'rightness' by being older.

Best wishes.
 Gourmand123
Msg: 60
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:15:42 PM

I think you speak for many of us.

Please don't speak for me. Yes, I know you aren't BE, but it sounds like
it. My silence then can be taken for my agreement with anyone's statement, and I would rather that was not the case. After all, we All only have one opinion...unless there are multiple personalities involved
And to be fair, you are not the only one who has made this suggestion to someone in a thread, so this is not just directed at you personally.
 barefootkitten
Msg: 61
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:20:03 PM
Espavo, you are assuming an awful lot about people. Just because I'm younger than you doesn't mean I haven't experienced many bad things in life. I have, I just choose to look for the positive. It's not a matter of being gullible or necessarily even naive, it's a matter of choosing not to let the bad things run your life. It's a matter of choosing not to see oneself as a victim and instead as a survivor. Yep, bad things happen to good people. However, I learn from the bad things and let them go so I can go on with my life.

Of course some people are going to be more cautious if they've been burned. But just because one person does something doesn't mean all do. Painting all people as inherently bad is quite prejudiced. Look up the word: It means PRE-judging. I don't judge a person's character until I know the person and only then, base my view of them on their actions. If you choose to be so negative in your viewpoints, that's your choice, but I feel very sorry for you.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 62
Posted: 3/5/2010 8:44:19 AM
You don't have to be naive to look for and expect good things to happen - just optimistic. I believe that people usually get what they expect and what they are looking for - so why not look for the good - the worst thing that can happen is people will think you are naive. Smile and the whole world wonders what you are up to!!

As for Mounties being caught abusing the priviledges of thier position I think they should be held accountable just like the rest us.
 Runs With Wolves
Msg: 63
Posted: 3/5/2010 10:02:34 AM

ESpavo
I don’t think that your assessment of the police’s intention and lies he or others put into profiles is a general opinion that I agree with and I am 52.

Espavo, you suggest that this belief and its wisdom comes with age and experience. I believe that your opinion and what you feel is significant turning it to being cynical is a personal observation based on your experience. How you interpret the intentions of others asserting they are living a lie is also a perspective you hold to be true. It is very individual.

I think with age, one becomes more focussed and is able to decipher what is right or wrong with each given scenario. I also think with age and coming to understand what makes each individual do what one might do or say in profiles is as individual as the lines on the faces.

To give yourself permission to speak on behalf of us older ones asserting that based on your age wisdom takes over – I have to disagree. This does less for your credibility Espavo only because you assume it as a right. To contend or affirm a general stance that all older people are wiser is also a lie.

to having some life experiences that would rattle your very core. It will change you from being trusting and gullable to cynical and cautious. Meet a few real evil people on this planet and your outlook becomes changed.... forever. Do I really have to explain it? LOL!!!!!

That is a lot of weight to carry Espavo. I have met a lot of ‘evil’ people as well as evil police officers with wrongful intentions – I don’t give myself permission to condemn all human beings based on my age and wisdom.
 ritawayward
Msg: 64
Posted: 3/5/2010 10:11:03 AM

That is a lot of weight to carry Espavo. I have met a lot of ‘evil’ people as well as evil police officers with wrongful intentions – I don’t give myself permission to condemn all human beings based on my age and wisdom.

Ditto! To literally every word of that and well put, RWW!
 rockondon
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2010 11:43:04 AM

Ummm, do you believe every ad on a website for some form or other for a relationship is really that persons truth? He 'may' have said he's looking for LT but, even with my slip of the 'pen' believe he was looking for sex. Thats my truth of the matter. I don't believe he was looking for LT at all.

Your profile also says that you are looking for long term.
But apparently, the truth of the matter is that you are not looking for LT at all, you are merely looking for sex.

Don't bother denying it because if you do, I'll just make irrelevant comments about my age, how 'other' people are gullible, how I've been around the block, and so on. Then I'll demand that you prove me wrong and since that's impossible, I win.

Love your aguing tactic btw. Hope you didn't mind that I took it out for a spin.

I ALWAYS give a person a benefit of the doubt, but I've been let down time and time again; its just the way it has been going.
This is laughable after you immediately assumed the worst about someone you've never met.
Presenting opinion as fact is foolish, but trying to justify it by saying how old you are is even more so.
 gitty--UP
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2010 12:16:19 PM
If this mounty was promoting the RCMP by simply wearing his uniform in a public domain not sanctioned by the mounties, then yes he should be fired right away, stripped of his retirement and any bonuses. That unlikely to happen, it is normal for them to hold a hearing years down the line, while these punks get paid leave, then the punk delays it as long as possible. Its the RED CODE, for rc's sticking together.

Fire him
Dont pay him
Say bye bye to any cushy government job in the future, or any company that gets government bids.

This punk should have known better. Let him hang out to dry.
 rockondon
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2010 2:31:09 PM
OMG a mountie wanted a relationship just like everyone else - that's MADNESS! And that's just the first step - next thing you know there'll be things like cats and dogs living under the same roof and the world will be in chaos.

Seriously, so what if the guy took a pic of himself in uniform and made a profile. I see profiles filled with people using their occupations and possessions to sell themselves to others and nobody says anything about them. I don't see why this guy is the exception.
 Mountain Lion 1
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2010 3:56:29 PM
Oh my people????????????

A Mountie looking for some action...if it is a real person (Mountie)

everybody pooh-pooh on the poor thing....

Seems Y'All have forgotten the four Mounties who in plain view and in front of a video camera jumped on and in cold blood murdered the exhausted and disorientated but otherwise harmless Polish immigrant at YVR

I don't think any of them has been discharged, convicted and sentenced for murder

but I hear they are now suing the province for the embarrassment and slander they suffered
 -Horrible/Brazen-
Msg: 69
Posted: 3/5/2010 5:19:07 PM
It shows how the RCMP's selection in new recruits have lost their edge. No longer, I believe do the RCMP train their new recruits nor do they go through the rigid selection process for psycological assessment.

As former RCMP, I can assure you that new recruits as well as civilian members and temporary civilian employees are put through rigorous training and psychological testing so it's best to become informed before posting, as it clearly shows your ignorance in the matter.

As for the RCMP Member in question... when you go through the initial hiring process you are asked many questions regarding your conduct outside of your potential employment and you are NOT allowed to engage in anything that would bring the RCMP into disrepute. That involves who you hang out with, whether or not your family members have been convicted of an offence, any secondary employment, to the clubs and associations you belong to.

Belonging to the RCMP is a way of life, it's a full time commitment to uphold the morals and values that they set out for you, and they have the right to demand that as an organization that represents our National Police Force.
 VeganCat
Msg: 70
Posted: 3/5/2010 5:23:12 PM
LOL!!!!!! Sanctimonious tripe is so funny from people that call the kettle black. I guess people are that gullible and are proud of it.

Do you really think I'm going to buy into the condescending drival you spout? LOL!!!!!!! You really crack me up!!!!!!!
 Mountain Lion 1
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2010 7:58:56 PM

Do you really think I'm going to buy into the condescending drival you spout? LOL!!!!!!!

You really do believe the world turns around you, don't you?

The way S/B phrased herself I take it that is a very general written opinion based on a personal experience.
Nothing there to justify your thinly veiled attempt to sarcasm, your words aren't even funny, they reek of narcissism if anything.
 Daisey Duke ..
Msg: 72
Posted: 3/5/2010 9:21:02 PM
isnt this thread suppost to be about what an RCMP member may or may not have done ?

lady youve twised and turned it into a pissing match !

this is why i dont post much any more .... but i do enjoy reading what uneducated , self centered ppl have to say , makes for a good laugh

now back to our reg program
 Runs With Wolves
Msg: 73
Posted: 3/6/2010 12:57:11 PM

The same rights of privacy regarding personal life should apply to to all equally.

In contrast to your following comments:

Seems Y'All have forgotten the four Mounties who in plain view and in front of a video camera jumped on and in cold blood murdered the exhausted and disorientated but otherwise harmless Polish immigrant at YVR
I don't think any of them has been discharged, convicted and sentenced for murder
but I hear they are now suing the province for the embarrassment and slander they suffered

What was the point of posting the above to the story of the OP ML?

Are you suggesting that a a sexually charged transgendered Mountie looking for some action should be less charged than a man being tazered?

Or are you suggesting what the OP’s post is minor compared to the tazering causing an innocent man to die?

you are working at hooters wearing a red cop uniform????
when and where????? oh, pssst ... do tell privately, we don't want to start civil unrest

As long as it is legal huh? What happens when sexually charged posts reflect impulsivity and incoherent notions seeing as the blood that should be in your upper head has now disappeared and has gone to the gonads? lol

sorry rose, I do find some of the above commentary unbecoming, sort of a stereotyping of professionals based on conduct of a very few exceptions or some kink trash magazine/porn peep show. Plain bad taste. It has the same ring as the propaganda slurs of past dictatorships religious fanatics or out southern neighbors, all intended to create some general distrust and paranoia. I, as many others have lived though enough shyt in our lives that there is no need for the "national Inquirer" style bullshit aimed at the mentally challenged.

How ironic even in jest!
 Gourmand123
Msg: 74
Posted: 3/6/2010 3:10:59 PM
Seems fairly simple...don't do it on company time, and don't wear your dress clothes while doing it :) Some jobs require more discretion than others, and your employer is well within their rights to insist that you adhere to those rules....don't like it....shouldn't have signed the paperwork.

However, there are a number of emergency response people on this site. I have seen pictures with uniforms and firetrucks etc..... said professionals do have those lovely calendars as well

The article suggests that the last police person reprimanded was engaging in social site acitivity during work hours. How much this reprimand had to do with Transgender bias is not possible to tell, as not posting in the red serge seems a valid request.

What exactly is the discussion? He made an error in judgement, he has been reprimanded. That was two years ago.....

Perhaps someone thinks the RCMP were not sufficiently punitive in their reaction??
I think it was all handled appropriately as far as we can see ....sitting on the outside.

The taZer story ...... yes, what they sometimes do in public, on duty is cause for far greater concern. Yes, I know there are probably many amazing police, fire and ambulance....unfortunately, we don't reward with media attention all the good that is done in society.
 Wind Doe
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/6/2010 4:27:02 PM
To heck with the uniform! Personally I prefer a man in leathers and on a harley...
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Another BC Mountie caught in online dating