Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BombayBeach
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Dating Musicians??????Page 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Been there done that regarding musicians....never ever again. Unfaithful, narcissistic, self absorbed alley cats. Ugh.
 Coma_White
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Dating Musicians??????
Posted: 6/20/2018 6:47:05 PM

Been there done that regarding musicians....never ever again. Unfaithful, narcissistic, self absorbed alley cats. Ugh.

Your personal experience must mean every musician is exactly the same. Thank you for your insightful post.

Yep, the only thing you'll be feeding is your ego.

I've played in many cover bands and in general, I found that the audience hardly gives a crap about who's in the band. Doing original music seemed to pay off a lot more.
 reverendswine
Msg: 114
Dating Musicians??????
Posted: 6/21/2018 6:37:39 AM

I've played in many cover bands and in general, I found that the audience hardly gives a crap about who's in the band. Doing original music seemed to pay off a lot more.

It's very different here. The only reason any of the men bother with the cover band bar gigs is because they can count on the "rockstar treatment'' from women. It's the only incentive. It has to be 70s-90s rock, though. Most won't book anything current. I and many others I know grew out of it long ago to move on to greener pastures.

We do have one venue that books mostly original prog-metal and djent style bands most of the others won't touch, though.
 siisaa
Msg: 115
Dating Musicians??????
Posted: 6/21/2018 6:50:09 PM
I've dated a couple of musicians and had no issue. However.....I would NOT date a musician who was on the road for weeks, months, etc. at a time. It's the same reason I wouldn't date an NFL, NBA or MLB player. That on-the-road lifestyle is rife with too much temptation (thirsty-ass groupies, drugs and alcohol).
 Coma_White
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Dating Musicians??????
Posted: 6/21/2018 7:12:53 PM

It's very different here. The only reason any of the men bother with the cover band bar gigs is because they can count on the "rockstar treatment'' from women. It's the only incentive. It has to be 70s-90s rock, though. Most won't book anything current. I and many others I know grew out of it long ago to move on to greener pastures.

We do have one venue that books mostly original prog-metal and djent style bands most of the others won't touch, though.

Where is that exactly? You probably won't believe me, but I've played in many Canadian cities in cover bands and the audience does not care about who's in the band. At most, I'll get some dude asking me what kind of distortion pedal I use. I even approached women in the audience after the concert and hardly any of them wanted to chat. I'm not sure why the scene is so different here.

I've dated a couple of musicians and had no issue. However.....I would NOT date a musician who was on the road for weeks, months, etc. at a time. It's the same reason I wouldn't date an NFL, NBA or MLB player. That on-the-road lifestyle is rife with too much temptation (thirsty-ass groupies, drugs and alcohol).

That's understandable. I wouldn't really want to tour all the time unless I could afford to take my significant other with me.
 reverendswine
Msg: 117
Dating Musicians??????
Posted: 6/22/2018 10:14:58 AM

Where is that exactly?

Orlando, Florida.

I can definitely believe the differences. I've seen how things vary from just state to state, so variance between two countries is easily fathomable. The reasoning? I can only guess social status is simply overvalued in some places.

I cut my teeth in the late 80's scene when the "groupie" phenomenon was even more prevalent. I'm not exaggerating in the least when I say being in a cover band back then in this area could have you living the life of a Motley Crue member in terms of women. My old bandmates and I used to always ask ourselves why we even needed to become famous. I'm still friends with a lot of people from that era, and they're still out there today.

Two of those friends are in open marriages and their wives are at every gig scoping out other women to take home for 3-way play.
 sun_water
Msg: 118
Dating Musicians??????
Posted: 6/22/2018 12:19:05 PM

Same here although it's not just about possible sex and drugs. I would be wary of dating a man that I couldn't see that much because he travels often for his job. That could also apply to other jobs like some long distance truck drivers.
 zsuzsa62
Msg: 119
Dating Musicians??????
Posted: 7/6/2018 11:23:11 AM
COMA WHITE
"Where is that exactly? You probably won't believe me, but I've played in many Canadian cities in cover bands and the audience does not care about who's in the band. At most, I'll get some dude asking me what kind of distortion pedal I use. I even approached women in the audience after the concert and hardly any of them wanted to chat. I'm not sure why the scene is so different here. "

I hear you fellow Canadian -(Hungarian!). Basically the interaction I get is some curiosity about my instrument and at times funny comments. The other night a fellow did try to insert a 20 dollar bill into my bellows. I was pulling out... LOL...good for a laugh anyway.
 Coma_White
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Dating Musicians??????
Posted: 7/6/2018 11:50:51 AM

I hear you fellow Canadian -(Hungarian!). Basically the interaction I get is some curiosity about my instrument and at times funny comments. The other night a fellow did try to insert a 20 dollar bill into my bellows. I was pulling out... LOL...good for a laugh anyway.

Hungarians are awesome. I can understand some Hungarian and I listen to some of the pop/rap/rock singers from there. I was even contemplating dating a Hungarian girl I met online but the distance is a bit much! I've been looking for one of those old school accordions for a while, the really small ones. I used to get more recognition doing original music. I was even signing autographs in Dryden of all places lol. I've written about 20 songs that need to be recorded so I figure I'll work on that over the summer. Do you do your own music?
 zsuzsa62
Msg: 121
Dating Musicians??????
Posted: 7/6/2018 9:30:49 PM
Tried to p.m. you but I guess our ages are too far apart. I do love to hear original music over anything else and often go to places that support that, which are not easy to find. I have some original and have to arrange almost everything I do with a couple guitar players as there are relatively few vocal/accordion arrangements available. Even for myself as a soloist, when I find something I like, I have to arrange it.

I have a Roland fx1 which is small and light, somewhat limiting at 25 keys but I use it mostly when I play out, as I stand. It has many different accordion sounds and you can get the nice "old" sound, or musette plus many other choices. Not as many as the larger models of course. My favourite is the fx4 which I use a lot too and at 22 lbs it's still manageable with a greater range. I know some die hard acoustic players really don't care for the these digital models but they just fit so easily into a band, can plug in without feedback, can play in any key and it doubles as a synthesizer with so many orchestral sounds. I have several acoustics of varying sizes as well. Keep an eye out at auction sales. I just picked up a nice medium sized accordion for 70 bucks...very old, in great shape, lovely wet musette sounds.

For some reason, maybe some earlier post...I thought you were Hungarian.
 Coma_White
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Dating Musicians??????
Posted: 7/7/2018 11:27:29 AM

Tried to p.m. you but I guess our ages are too far apart. I do love to hear original music over anything else and often go to places that support that, which are not easy to find. I have some original and have to arrange almost everything I do with a couple guitar players as there are relatively few vocal/accordion arrangements available. Even for myself as a soloist, when I find something I like, I have to arrange it.

I have a Roland fx1 which is small and light, somewhat limiting at 25 keys but I use it mostly when I play out, as I stand. It has many different accordion sounds and you can get the nice "old" sound, or musette plus many other choices. Not as many as the larger models of course. My favourite is the fx4 which I use a lot too and at 22 lbs it's still manageable with a greater range. I know some die hard acoustic players really don't care for the these digital models but they just fit so easily into a band, can plug in without feedback, can play in any key and it doubles as a synthesizer with so many orchestral sounds. I have several acoustics of varying sizes as well. Keep an eye out at auction sales. I just picked up a nice medium sized accordion for 70 bucks...very old, in great shape, lovely wet musette sounds.

For some reason, maybe some earlier post...I thought you were Hungarian.

It's probably your mail settings. I have mine set to any age. I'm German and Ukrainian. That's awesome. I've never played accordion, I play guitar, drums, bass, cello, ukulele, piano and clarinet. How often does your band play?
 zsuzsa62
Msg: 123
Dating Musicians??????
Posted: 7/7/2018 12:09:10 PM
I didn't think I had any settings at all... I think it might be that 15 year gap restriction I've read about. As in the older person can't contact the younger one... (?) Not sure.

Wow you are muli-talented! That must give you lots of flexibility. I enjoy doing anything with string players as we go so well together. That's great. My roots are half German too, my Mom.
Anyway... I play clarinet in a couple of local bands, solo stuff at cafes/events/pubs/parties and my triage group wherever we get...wineries, pubs etc. I've done a bit of film music. I do whatever comes my way, if I think I'd enjoy it. Accordion is a bit different around where I live, which is advantageous.
 Coma_White
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Dating Musicians??????
Posted: 7/7/2018 2:12:45 PM

I didn't think I had any settings at all... I think it might be that 15 year gap restriction I've read about. As in the older person can't contact the younger one... (?) Not sure.

Wow you are muli-talented! That must give you lots of flexibility. I enjoy doing anything with string players as we go so well together. That's great. My roots are half German too, my Mom.
Anyway... I play clarinet in a couple of local bands, solo stuff at cafes/events/pubs/parties and my triage group wherever we get...wineries, pubs etc. I've done a bit of film music. I do whatever comes my way, if I think I'd enjoy it. Accordion is a bit different around where I live, which is advantageous.

This site is weird with all of its restrictions and such. Strings are definitely awesome. I really need to find a clarinet. I've only played it at school. What kind of software did you use for film music? I'm trying to figure out Cubase and Renoise. I guess the accordion is more popular in Europe. I love the sound of it though. Do you play often?
 CBGB77
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Dating Musicians??????
Posted: 7/7/2018 3:45:39 PM
Coma and zsuzsa: why don't you guys try favoriting each other? That might allow POF to let you correspond with each other. You guys seem to have alot in common could become great friends at least.
 zsuzsa62
Msg: 126
Dating Musicians??????
Posted: 7/8/2018 8:26:35 AM
Thanks CBGB77...I did try that but it still didn't work.

I use Logic Pro X...ended up with that because one of my band mates has it and it made learning easier as well as sharing tracks. We all live far apart and so it's also a great way to "rehearse" in between or when weather is bad. I'm still learning as I use it but I quite like it. I used to record decent demo CD's to drop off at venues etc. but now I find it's easier to include a youtube link on your card. People are more apt to check that out for the look and as well as sound, than to listen to a CD.
Yes, I do play a fair bit. Daily for myself and I have a few regular spots to play out. But not enough to live by so like most, I teach or have taught as my "real" job.
Well too bad I didn't know about your clarinet wish...I just donated one to a music lending library! Was in pretty good shape too.
 reverendswine
Msg: 127
Dating Musicians??????
Posted: 7/8/2018 11:29:35 PM
I have given Cubase numerous shots in the past but always ended up getting aggravated with it. Reaper has been my go-to the last several years. (although it has its own share of annoyances) It's funny how DAWs all serve the same purpose, yet each can be such a different experience.
Dating Musicians??????
Posted: 7/9/2018 7:49:07 AM

You guys seem to have alot in common could become great friends at least

Yes, and she lives in the County, beautiful place! One of the nicest beaches around, in this little gem of a place.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >