Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 o76923
Msg: 58
Polygamy Page 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Jeesh, I see a ton of media bias out here. The reason that everyone sees big busts with Pedophiles being polygamist is because those are the sensational news stories. Those get people watching, talking, and more importantly, watching during commercials or viewing ads in print.

The vast majority of polygamy worldwide (at the moment) is One man, one primary wife, and one lesser wife/concubine. These pedophile ranches really don't account for that many of them. It's just that how many people would watch the news if they reported that "man has happy loving relationship with two wives" or "man's first wife wants more attention than his second"? That isn't even good enough to make a daytime soap opera on its own.

I mean think of it this way. When does a straight, two person marriage between consenting adults appear on the news? When one of them is murdered and/or missing, when one of them is a politician/celebrity and one of them cheats, or when one of them does something so mind-blowingly stupid they use it as a 30-second pick me up story. Based on that coverage, I think "normal" relationships suck.
 o76923
Msg: 60
Polygamy
Posted: 8/25/2008 4:42:48 PM

According to the Ethnographic Atlas Codebook, of the 1231 societies noted, 186 were monogamous. 453 had occasional polygyny, 588 had more frequent polygyny, and 4 had polyandry

That is what Wiki has to say on the topic. And then it goes on to say that in cultures where it is allowed, it is generally uncommon. It is simply out of the financial reach of most. Just thought I'd drop some numbers in really quick.
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Polygamy
Posted: 8/25/2008 9:20:49 PM
I do not mean to disrespect any lifestyle. I personally adhere to monogamy, but there are benefits to all styles. Someone once suggested to me the term 'polyamory' to denote multiple relationships based in love. I personally feel that this is entirely unrealistic. Not only is it trying to have the best of all possible worlds, it's confusing and misleading to others and most importantly to YOURSELF! Polygamy can work, but I don't think true love can fit into it.
Msg: 62
Polygamy
Posted: 8/25/2008 9:56:04 PM
polygamy, sleeping with siblings, moms and dads is illegal in the USA and in any reasonable and truly Christian country.

it's another issue that many people just end up being complete losers and confuse the freedom of choice and messing up a little here and there during a marriage with this polygamy BS.

I am more than sure that if a poll will be made about this where not only pathetic singles in this creepy free single site will participate, but also normal people, there would be very few who would think the way looks like 50% of the retarded posters think here.

may be the reason you are wondering in this idiotic site is that bcs you are wairdoes yourself? out of the norm unlike vast majority of normal people are?
 Verzen
Msg: 63
Polygamy
Posted: 8/25/2008 10:13:39 PM
You call other people on the site idiots, but I just cant seem to bring myself to be able to understand any more of your post than that.

Any person who says, "So and so is illegal in the christian country of the US" is full of themselves.
Last I checked, it wasn't against your religious faith to walk an alligator on a leash (Yes, that is against the law in Florida )

Nothing against the majority of religious folk, but those who say, "It's against the law because my religion says so" pisses me off... You are pretty much saying that a religious cult is in charge of an entire country and the country doesn't make it's own laws and regulations to abide by. There are some laws that make sense such as murder, stealing, etc. But polygamy shouldn't be illegal. If one man wants to marry multiple women, then let him. If one women wants to marry multiple men, then let them. Stay out of others lives...
Polygamy may not be for me, but that doesn't mean I want to regulate my neighbor's life and care more about what hes doing than about what I am doing.

(Incest should still be illegal given chance of increased birth defects)
Msg: 64
Polygamy
Posted: 8/25/2008 11:55:26 PM
Polygamy may not be for me, but that doesn't mean I want to regulate my neighbor's life and care more about what hes doing than about what I am doing.

hey dude, I really can care less what pisses you off, what pisses me off is you being such a smart guy and at the same time so confused. It's like you are saying even though family is a society phenomenon, meaning, people do register for marriage in governmental structures which the taxpayers like me and you support.

Your neighbor who will ahve 5644545 kids with his 5 wives whom I won't even show my diicckk will seek child support from government from the taxes me and you pay, if he dies or gets herpes on his ass since even if I won't even show my****to any of his sluts there should be lots of desparate and horney dudes like you who would be ready to fuk anyone. then , part of the medical system is sopnsored by government, me and you will pay for all these deseses.

So, you can't say that polygamy doesn't concern anyone, provided that we are talking about legalizing it.

if these suckers like you, want to legalize it, it means they are applying to the government which is chosen by regular citizens like me and represents the regular citizens like me.

If you retards want to stick your tails into your assseess and do that private or suck as many bitchhes as you want that's your business, but don't BS here about the nonsense, since messages from this site go everywhere and I have seen this pathetic poygamy BS in myspace too and shut their mouthes too...

since even idiotic gay marriage took too much time to pass, which I could care less,

but this poligamy BS is out of control.

go live in Iraq then they are muslims, can have as many wives as they wont. Join the army babe , you are in the right age, instead of sitting here like a puzzy and BS-in, I have served my term, you go fight with these dudes then come and startin enjoying yourself.

////////////
 Verzen
Msg: 65
Polygamy
Posted: 8/26/2008 1:02:34 AM
7733... you claim to be a business owner, yet your grammar is horrendous and your spelling is atrocious. In order for me to make a clean rebuttal, one would hope to be able to understand his opposition.

That said, only the idiots who can't take care of themselves apply for financial aid.

One man who has three wives has three kids each

which equals 9 kids, three wives, one man. One man and three wives who make an income, which, they are all better off then if one man had one wife who had three kids with two other girls who have three kids, taking care of these kids by herself without a father figure to help support her, which she would have to apply for financial aid. In the end, they would get less money from financial aid with the added support from the father figure.

Simple math...

Something that they should teach you in business school, eh?
 Closing Shop
Msg: 66
Polygamy
Posted: 8/26/2008 1:31:34 AM
If Brad Pitt wanted to bring me into the fold and gave me the choice of sharing him with all those kids or with Angelina, I'd probably choose Angelina.
 o76923
Msg: 67
Polygamy
Posted: 8/26/2008 1:40:13 AM
Personal attacks are unnecessary and should be avoided, lest the mods close the thread.

That being said, the belief that polygamy is wrong is actually firmly in the minority worldwide. The vast majority of cultures across the world allow for some form of polygamy. That being said, polygamy is still rare because most people in the world just can't afford it. It's expensive as hell to keep two women and the children you have with them happy. As a result, polygamy is frequently a status symbol and is something that people wish they could do, but cannot afford.

Also, bragging about the Christian status of the United States demonstrates a profound misunderstanding of what the US is supposed to be. The United States is supposed to be an a-religious state. Religion and Government are supposed to be separate where everyone is free to their own beliefs to the extend that they don't encroach upon someone else's beliefs. The religious trend in the US came out of a propaganda decision during the Cold War to make the US be the good guys against the godless-heathens of communism. We never actually recovered from that propaganda decision.
Msg: 68
Polygamy
Posted: 8/26/2008 9:03:47 AM

If Brad Pitt wanted to bring me into the fold and gave me the choice of sharing him with all those kids or with Angelina, I'd probably choose Angelina.

Come and join us babe, if you look at one of my GFs, you will forget Angelina /////////////////

The other guy with math, man, you did quite a math I see, still if something happens to the MAN there are more kids to be taken of, and yes I dont own a business of editing and this shhit is my fourth language as I said.
Msg: 69
Polygamy
Posted: 8/26/2008 9:14:11 AM

That being said, the belief that polygamy is wrong is actually firmly in the minority worldwide. The vast majority of cultures across the world allow for some form of polygamy.

We are talking about civilized cultures, nowhere in Europe, including Western and Eastern that kind of nonsense is even considered. Vast majority of people living in US are from European decent. It's good to take positive things from other types of cultures, but to learn one of the most pathetic staff muslamic cultures have - polygamy is ridiculous. You think all these wars are only for oil? no babe, this is a idiological war, the same way USSR and USA had a cold war, bcs their idioligy was different. So, you thinking that way is in some extent a betrayal.
 o76923
Msg: 70
Polygamy
Posted: 8/26/2008 12:56:36 PM
I am not a believer in majority morality. I merely brought up that 85% of cultures in the world tolerate polygamy because I think that it is interesting to get a global perspective on issues. It is healthy to look at all points of view before coming to a decision.

Prior to the 19th century, polygamy was tolerated or looked favorably upon by most of the world. And only over the past 100 years has there been a major crack down on it, even in the "civilized" world. But much of that comes from the bleed of religion into politics.

The cold war was actually one of the biggest pushes to make America a Christian nation. Prior to the cold war, church and state had been historically far further separated and had been drifting further still. However, as a propaganda move, the US embraced Christianity during the cold war to dissuade people from finding sympathy for the soviets. We were the morally righteous nation fighting the godless communists. That's why prayer was added to schools, "In god we trust" was made the official motto of the US, and other similar measures were done during the late 50s and early 60s.

I happen to be a believer in the fundamental rights of man. One of them is the right to believe in whatever religion or system of values that you chose to. I'm pretty sure that some famous dead guy wrote something about it. A right to worship freely, on a list of ten something or others. Well, I guess it's not that important. It's not like this is the United States of America or anything.

Beyond that though, I am an academic. I will also admit that I'm a skeptic and conspiracy nutter. As a result, when I see rules that seem contrary to logic or evidence, I raise an eyebrow. One of the things that causes me to raise an eyebrow is the ban on polygamy in the "civilized" world. Throughout the overwhelming majority of human history, polygamy was ok. Even in cultures that were last connected in the fertile crescent (indigenous Africans or Native Americans) all frequently had some tolerance for polygamy. In some cases, the idea of a one male-one female marriage was foreign. So, it made me wonder, why is it that the "civilized" world favors serial monogamy when polygamy comes so naturally.

Then, you can see that it's there for the same reason priests aren't allowed to marry and homosexuality is frowned upon. The Catholic church was the major political power player back in the day (by which I mean from the dawn of the Holy Roman Empire until maybe 100 years ago). There were a number of rules passed that benefitted the church or it's allies directly. If someone doesn't have a family, then their money frequently would be left to the church upon their death. But if you have polygamy, that almost guarantees that people will always have a family. So despite the fact that many of the most important people in the Old Testament practiced various different forms of polygamy (polygyny and keeping concubines being he biggest two), it was now a sin. Because of how pervasive the Catholic Church was into culture, it became obvious that monogamy is morally right. That's why the "civilized" nations happen to value monogamy so highly, but the rest don't.

Although, your definition of civilized does have to exclude India and China for that to be a true statement. Because in both India and China polygamy is allowed under some circumstances. And since both of those countries are kinda kicking US butt, if they aren't civilized, one would have to wonder.
Msg: 71
Polygamy
Posted: 8/26/2008 4:35:40 PM

lthough, your definition of civilized does have to exclude India and China for that to be a true statement. Because in both India and China polygamy is allowed under some circumstances. And since both of those countries are kinda kicking US butt, if they aren't civilized, one would have to wonder.

Oh guys, I can't beleive that you made me to get serious. I hopes many were enjoying my funny stuff up to this point, but I am not gonna stop protecting my point of view. put these keywords in google "polygamy discussion singles" and you will see the first listing is this thread we are discussing which everyone can read anywhere.

here is the thing - it is a distinct correlation where more developed countries do nto favor polygamy as opposed to less developed. You can add Japan, Canada, New Zealand, Australia , Israel to the list. India and China are not developed countries. Type "standard of living worldwide" or "quality of living worldwide" in google and you will see it.

I have lived in many countries and visited many countries too. You know what's the major difference between developed and less developed countries? It is everything is much better organized in developed countries rather than less developped countries. Not how hard others work, not how much pressure some put others, but only the organization. Life what I do, I mean my business, if I were to do that in say Mexico, I would never file reports, won't need to computerize billing, payrol, material usage etc. But here in the USA if I don't do that, I will be kicked out of business, because can't stay efficient and at the same time government does control but within limits and does it very smart and organized.

So, the same way, in developed countries marriage is an institution of two adults which is governed by the state and federal government, including but not limited to taxes, child support if it will be needed etc. You may argue and ask why in developed countries government is opposed to register more than one marriage as opposed to less developed countries? I can explain easily that it is because people usually are more educated, or intellegent in developed countries. You can do a research and find out that standard of living of certain individuals in the USA is related with their education level and IQ. So, it's because people in developed countries are smarter, more sensitive, ask more from a relationship and marriage partnership rather than just having fun and bring as many kids as possible. People in more developed countries do not marry just to bring as many kids as they can and do have a birth control due to their decency. Shortly we are much ahead from our monkey ancestors who would have sex with any woman and have as many kids as possible. Decent people do not go and have 10 children and don't know where they are. Decent, educated, intellegent and smart people do not go and have 3 wives, if they do not want to live with their present wife, they try to work things out, if they can't they can get divorced.

Thus, mt academician, to tell that in developed countries government will allow people to have multiple marriages is absurd.
 o76923
Msg: 73
Polygamy
Posted: 9/5/2008 3:39:44 PM
Who brought up polygyny? I thought we were just talking about polygamy...

Also, to be completely fair, it isn't an unfounded idea that males roam while women are faithful. There is some evolutionary advantage to it. And actually the study of intimate relationships shows us that even though people wind up dating others who are around the same attractiveness on a scale of one to ten, the most successful have the woman in the relationship something like .6 to .8 higher than the man. It's attributed to the woman valuing stability more and the man valuing attractiveness more.

I do happen to agree with you that open relationships should have gender fairness as a corner stone of them. But claiming that bigotry is the only reason that there is inequality is being somewhat closed minded. That being said, I think it should be up to the individuals involved. If they want a 3 person triad with a man and two women, that's cool for them. If they want a man and woman primary relationship with a third that joins sexually sometimes, that's cool for them too. If they want to have 5 men, 2 women, and a robot, I'm ok with that as well (although worried about the robot's ability to consent). I'm even ok with the one man-one woman thing. But the point is that not everyone feels the same way that everyone else does. What you might see as unequal mysoginistic garbage, might be her ideal relationship.
 superbadzzz
Msg: 78
Polygamy
Posted: 9/12/2008 2:41:38 AM
5 screaming wives and 20 screaming kids... count me in :p.
 pretty inn ink
Msg: 80
Polygamy
Posted: 10/1/2008 6:51:49 PM
funny i agree with this you wouldnt have enough ears to listen to it all and even if you could take all the nagging in you would want to be deaf due to the headache of it all. not to mention pleasing one partner can be too much why would someone think they could seriously take on more than one??
 Hoak
Msg: 81
Polygamy
Posted: 10/1/2008 11:39:49 PM
That is the same type of crap people used to say about inter-racial marriages a few decades ago... And I think we know how that argument goes over now, lol. It's nothing but a thinly veiled attempt to cover personal prejudice with concern for the children. Hell, you even admit in your post that the problem isn't with polygamous parents, but in how peoples prejudices will make their life difficult.
 flghtwings
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Polygamy
Posted: 10/2/2008 12:13:44 AM
Remember, polygamy is a crime and carries a very stiff penalty....TWO MOTHER-IN-LAWS!!
 lovinvixen
Msg: 83
Polygamy
Posted: 10/2/2008 6:52:35 PM
From a gal with a grin like that cat in 'Alice in Wonderland', Post # 24:

I've been in a polygamous relationship and thought it worked well........But you do have to have a relationship with everyone in the unit, not just one person, otherwise it doesn't work. Children are a mutual responsibility and you have to be willing to put your family first and not yourself, which is hard for a lot of people to understand in this age. I would be willing to be polygamous if I ever decided to marry. I prefer the commune notion of living together and raising children as a tribal unit, not just as secular parents.

Since my mother was raised with the Arizona City Mormons who *have NOT* bought into the false ideology of non-polygamous Mormonisn, I can give partial testimony upon this subject.

The problem is most males have a non-responsible attitude toward polygamy in that they do not want to take a hold of the monetary and child rearing aspect; sex is thier WEAK AGENDA. And that is not how it works. Many cultures around the globe have practiced polygamy and the most successful recognize the male must provide more economical resources and spend an abundant time with his sons. Sexual variety is a meager fringe benefit that is far outweighed by the financial maintinence of such a family.

As far as scripture goes why would God's prophet condone polygamy if it was not within God's plan as according to:

2 Samuel 12:7-8 (KJV)
7And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul; 8And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things.

And did Christ speak Pro-Polygamy when he spoke the Parable of:

Matthew 25:1-11 King James VersionMatthew 25
1Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. 2And five of them were wise, and five were foolish. 3They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
4But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. 5While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept. 6And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him. 7Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps. 8And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out. 9But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves. 10And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut. 11Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.

Why is Christ using the parable of ten virgins coming to the bridegroom if polygamy is against God's will as falsely and commonly taught?

The prophet Isaiah even spoke of the time to come when women through thier radical feminism and greed would cause polygamy to one day become the norm because they abused thier power.

Isaiah 4:1 (KJV)
1And in that day seven women shall take hold of one man, saying, We will eat our own bread, and wear our own apparel: only let us be called by thy name, to take away our reproach.

Have any of you put it together that polygamy in Europe in the early Church was frowned upon because of over population as thier was such great illnesses in thier history? And can you not see in the future Isaiah's words will ring true as far too many women are willing to sacrifice thier sons and husbands in the Middle-East as long as they can have a fancy car to drive or a vibrator called a motorcycle to ride upon?
 LoonyTunz
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Polygamy
Posted: 10/2/2008 7:17:11 PM

The prophet Isaiah even spoke of the time to come when women through thier radical feminism and greed would cause polygamy to one day become the norm because they abused thier power.

Well it IS becoming more common outside of religious sects. While it was nearly unthinkable in the 50's outside of those few cults.
I hope it is more than just radical feminism neutering so many men that I have been blessed with 3 lovely unique ladies.
 lovinvixen
Msg: 86
Polygamy
Posted: 10/13/2008 6:56:38 PM
Why don't so many confused females want polygamy?

a) Have you ever noticed how many are 'control freaks' over a stupid male who is willing to be abused by those types?

b) Bet you have never seen any females who well know about thier husband is with other women as long as the bills are paid and the children are fed?

WHY???

Because she may want him with another woman where she can further her control issues by 'divorce court/alimony' and that good ole child support!

c) Have you ever considered the most powerful women on the planet, U.S. gals with the right to vote, allow prostituion legally in one state and questionably within all states: espeacially California?

But they will not legalize Biblically endorced polygamy!

But so many Church gals are against Polygamy despite it being endorsed in both the New and Old Testaments of the Bible! To my understanding, there is only ONE SCRIPTURE against polygamy in the New testament; and that pertains to a man being a Bishop!
 SamuraiPixie
Msg: 87
Polygamy
Posted: 10/13/2008 7:50:11 PM
I'm sorry this simply boils down to there are certain things I don't share well, my toothbrush, my ipod, my makeup, my car and my man... to each his or her own, however, whatever floats your boat...

Suz.
 Blondecharmthe3rd
Msg: 88
Polygamy
Posted: 10/13/2008 7:55:49 PM
I see nothing wrong with this as long as all parties agree and are happy with the arrangement. Otherwise, just adding one more person to the mix is a receipe for disaster.

To those who have found it, kudos.
 lovinvixen
Msg: 90
Polygamy
Posted: 10/23/2008 11:21:37 AM
From post # 127:

It is illegal here. Actually, any increase in a sex a guy gets by having several wives is offset by the additional: nagging, B***hing, wasteful spending, backtalk, etc, he has to put up with...not to mention the additional mothers in law. There is not enough sex in the universe to make it worth that. Polygamists should be locked up in insane asylums for life, and denied conjugal visits.

You evidently have been raised by controling females, and feel you are just a drone bee in the hive and subserviant to a Queen Bee. So you assume all women are like that!

My mother is from Arizona City, the Mormon Polygamy Branch of the Church. The behavior you describe is not commonly viewed in that community.

Why?

Because women recognize real quickly when a female is playing a game as the females you desribe. When women live together, share the work, they come down real hard on girls who aren't co-operative as it will spoil the family unit: this includes their daughters.

Women who are bent toward pseudo matriarchy or rather psycho matriarchy many times are like the syndrome you describe.

But think about it, how many brides are lying through their teeth when they 'promise to love and obey' at the altar. Only to dominate and make a man miserable when the knot is tied.

You ought to drop by Arizona City and witness a more comfortable family unit; it might open your eyes! And it sounds like you are putting sex above responsibility!
 bugica5
Msg: 91
Polygamy
Posted: 10/18/2012 7:13:36 AM
you have great views and many i see you have researched.you definatly have a refreshing view and it is nice to see.
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >