Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TrialSize
Msg: 3
why won't my guy walk side by side with me??Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I once dated a guy who would get way ahead of me because my legs were shorter and I was usually wearing high heals. I would just stop walking and let him get so far ahead of me that eventually he'd realize I was way behind.
When he'd come back to me wondering why I was just standing there, I'd just tell him that I have no intention of running to keep up and I'd appreciate it if he'd shorten his stride and stay with me. It took a few times for him to get the hang of it, but it was worth it.
Classic example of how we teach others to treat us. It's weird you'd go a whole year without saying something. He's gonna wonder what took you so long too. You need to be more assertive in asking for what you want.
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 5
why won't my guy walk side by side with me??
Posted: 4/17/2008 1:23:13 PM
I could be way off base here, but is he of middle eastern ancestry? It is very common for men in the middle east to make their women walk a step or two behind them. Not being prejudiced here, just an observation.
 secret_agent_thing
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/17/2008 2:55:17 PM
Well think of the alternative, he could walk behind you and stare at your ass... actually looking at your profile that might not be such a bad idea.

Anyway back to the topic on hand. It's probably not because he has a girlfriend (then again who knows). He probably just isn't a fan of public displays of affection, guys do that. Like everyone else said though, communicate with him. Something upsets you talk to the guy, and not just with this situation. Some guys are aware of these little things some guys are not. He probably doesn't think of anything of it. There tons of things that seem minscule from a guys point of view but are huge for girls, and vice versa.

Or just kick him in the ass and say hey what the F man, hold my hand or else.
 jd28spot
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/17/2008 4:33:41 PM
That's just sooooooooooooooooooo wrong! Damn, even when walking with a friend I would walk beside them. Next time he's pulls that crap, turn around and walk the other way......see if he even notices.
 sosodizzy
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/17/2008 7:12:17 PM
When I was young, immature and stupid, I once dated this REAL ugly guy and I didn't want people to know he was with me, so I made him walk 3 steps behind me. That was so awful of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 HillsideCA
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/17/2008 8:12:28 PM
Maybe he's pissed about your "Single" profile on a dating site after dating for a year?

Maybe you're smoking and he wants to keep out of it?

If you don't know whether or not he has a girlfriend by now...I don't know what to tell you.

Kinder, gentler answer: I always try to walk side by side with someone I care about.

Unfortunate semi-logical conclusion: he may not care about you.
 Evenor
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/17/2008 9:06:33 PM
Is he foreign, might be customary if so... fast pace as mentioned earlier... never know unless you ask him as he might do it so much that he's really unaware what he's doing...
 Sardonis
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/18/2008 11:17:46 PM
Yeah I was gonna ask, is he from a culture where the men walk in front of the women?
 Dumpling-Girl
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2008 11:33:48 PM
That's happened to me with one boyfriend. I think it's a bad sign in general. These impolite boys don't deserve girlfriends. It's just so weird to me to think that it doesn't occur to them to slow down.
 that sam i am
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/19/2008 8:49:26 AM
You're not bad looking so it can't be that he's ashamed of you. Maybe he walks ahead of you because you walk too damn slow.
 RamblingMoonbeam
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/19/2008 10:05:47 AM
A guy worth having will not walk behind you for you to lead not walk in front of you to follow. The man that walks at your side where the two of you mesh in strides is the man worth having. Nothing short of a equal in life will be accepted.

Well except for their use of strentgh to open the jars for me
 wisguyingb
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/19/2008 12:42:23 PM
Well if you have been dating for a year, I would suggest changing your profile. It looks like you a looking for "long term" on here. Why? Your already in a long term relationship..right?
 pokerjimmy
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2008 2:00:20 AM
This isn't a guy thing or a macho thing. This is a guy who in public shows you no respect and doesn't seem to want people to think you're together.

He's lasted a year with you? Have trouble finding nice men?
 slybandit
Msg: 28
Posted: 4/23/2008 10:49:14 AM
There is only one good reason for that kind of behaviour.

But last time I checked, Texas did not have a problem with land mines.
 opnmydm
Msg: 32
Posted: 5/5/2008 6:45:04 AM
maybe he does not realize this, talk to him, maybe he is just a fast walker, i catch myself alot walking at my normal pace and having to just hold her hand to keep by her side when i am with a date
 sxyvirgo
Msg: 33
Posted: 5/5/2008 7:33:39 PM
While this CAN be a sign of disrespect or callousness, it might also be a very inexperienced, "undomisticated" if you will, kind of guy who is just not used to having to adjust (anything) in his life to fit with someone else. If he hasn't been in a lot of relationships or has been divorced / on his own for a number of years he may just be very set in his ways and doesn't even realize what he's doing. Tell him and get his reaction.
 nobrumski
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2008 8:16:21 PM
I know I have a bad habit of doing this myself. One reason is I walk really fast and have to force myself to slow down. I can only go so slow though before I get annoyed.

At the same time I somewhat equate it to when you are driving somewhere and someone is following you. It is up to you as the leader to keep a safe and easy pace that they can follow. At the same time it is up to the other person to make a reasonable attempt to keep up. I have had some people follow me that make no attempt to keep up even when I am doing 5 mph under with no traffic around. There is only so much you can do if the other person won't even attempt to keep up since you can only go slow.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 35
Posted: 6/6/2008 7:55:19 PM
I used to date a really guy who did this. He was really tall; 6"3' and I'm 5"4'.

I was always like, "wait for me! wait for me!"

He didn't do it on purpose, though, he was just tall AND a little absent minded.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  >