Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Kongzilla
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Can YOU cook?Page 9 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
I can cook. I can make pasta with meat sauce, somtimes with a sauce made from scratch, most of the time with a can of crushed tomatoes as a base. I can also do a fish sauce. And I also do pan fried steak cooked in red wine. I also clean too. Are there any women who appriciate that, or is that another thread altogether?
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Can YOU cook?
Posted: 4/27/2008 2:00:36 AM
Okay, let's get to the gist of this:
Coming from a family of 8 kids, I had to share in all the household stuff from a fairly early age, so I was baking cakes and cupcakes from the age of 7, frying and roasting from the age of 11, making gravies and sauces from the age of 13.

I know just how hard cooking isn't. It's about organization and time management. Only an idiot "slaves away over a hot stove" all day- most meals are cooked in 45 minutes or less, the rest of the day (if it takes that long) is prep and planning. If meal prep takes more than a couple of hours, except for very few exceptional kinds of meals, you're doing something very wrong.
The exceptions would be low-temp baking or slow roasting, and simmering. Even then, it's the prep that takes up the time.

My three favorite cooking appliances are my crock pot, my 2-tier electric vegetable steamer, and my microwave.
Crock pot cooking should be a guy's favorite method- put the food in the pot, set it on low, come back in 8 hours- what could be simpler?

Put rice in the steamer's rice tray, add water, put chicken or fish on top of the rice, season, add frozen vegetables to the bottom basket, steam for 4o minutes- simple.

The big trick to microwave cooking is determining how NOT to make foods explode; usually, the microwave comes with an instruction manual that explains this. The other trick is to get a microwave cookbook.

Most guys don't seem to understand that cooking is easy. Washing the dishes, pots and pans, now- that's not easy.
 m_squared_
Msg: 147
Can YOU cook?
Posted: 4/27/2008 7:39:00 PM
Absolutely I can cook!

My signature dish is Veal Parmesan with my own home-made red sauce over pasta of choice with a spring mix salad, oil/vinegar dressing, side of garlic mashed potatoes or steamed vegetable of choice and chocolate cake or cheese cake. The main course is served with HER wine of choice and real irish coffee with desert. The veal parm is also suitable as a chicken dish as well, if Veal doesn't work. Never dated a vegetarian/vegan, so I dunno what I'd do there. It all takes me about 4 hours to do, but let me tell you, the look in a woman's eyes when I pull out all of the stops is worth it!

Blame both my mother and the Boy Scouts of America for this guy's love affair of cooking.

A well presented (and great tasting meal) matched with the perfect wine is another way to a woman's heart.
 indianaman
Msg: 150
Can YOU cook?
Posted: 4/28/2008 8:20:05 PM
Yes I can cook. And not just grilling meat on the BBQ. For Christmas, instead of just repeating a Thanksgiving menu like many Americans do (turkey, etc.) I prepare an elaborate German dinner with sauerbraten that requires several days of preparation. along with spaetzles (dumplings), German potato salad, schnitzel (breaded and fried pork cutlets), etc.

I also have a secret recipe for chocolate chip cookies. I don't use any special ingredients, I just took the Nestle Toll House recipe off the chocolate chip bag and finely tuned the proportions over several years until I arrived at the perfect recipe.
 MacGyverRI
Msg: 151
Can YOU cook?
Posted: 4/28/2008 9:08:05 PM
redcassandra, while apparently looking for some new recipes wrote;
>Can You Cook?

Better than most ;)

>Would you find it enjoyable to prepare a meal for a special lady?

I do it all the time!

>And, what would you prepare

Nice try, I don't give out my secret recipes!!!

Signature dish, secret;
Lg. Portabellas stuffed with ****, ***** and *******'*, in a **** ***** stuffing and covered with some ****** **** cheese then grilled!

No secret;
Angel hair pasta in a fresh tomato OR Alfredo sauce with lots of misc. shellfish added.

Secret;
Cherrystones (small hard shell clams) roasted on the grill in their own juices w/ this, that and the other stuff added to make them "mini stuffie's" when done.
google "stuffed quahog recipe", it's a New England delicacy!

Buffalo meat, Scallop and Shrimp kabobs w/ a light Sesame Ginger sauce.

Enya, Steely Dan, Kenny G, Dan Fogelberg etc. in the background.
 MacGyverRI
Msg: 153
Can YOU cook?
Posted: 4/28/2008 11:54:13 PM
Yes, soup can burn, lower that heat!

Signature dish, modified to be good w/o MY secret stuff and simple enough for soup burners to make! I hope.....

4 Lg. Portabellas (4"+ or so, stems removed)

1/2 cup roasted red peppers, drained well, then minced,

a sm. bunch/hand full of "fresh basil" minced or 1 tbl. dried basil,

1/2 lb. cooked scallop's and/or shrimp and/or crab, coarsely chopped, I prefer all 3 cooked in 1/2 stick butter and 1-2 tbl. Old Bay seasoning.

1/4-1/3 lb. shredded cheddar cheese, save some for the tops.

all the above is then mixed into 1/2-1 tube of crushed crackers (your fav. brand),
stuff the mushrooms, sprinkle tops with some more cheese then grill on LOW, cover down, check every 1-2 mins. until cheese is just melted NOT burnt!
 m_squared_
Msg: 157
Can YOU cook?
Posted: 4/29/2008 6:21:23 PM

^^^ You have older brother?

Sadly, I am the oldest... and I have a younger sister who somehow got the cooking genetics from both grandmothers and our mother. She makes it look effortless! Alas, one day, I will out cook her on er, something.
 azsmp
Msg: 158
Can YOU cook?
Posted: 5/2/2008 2:06:37 PM
Hey Red, I attended a cooking school while in my early 20's and it was a god send... I will always cook something nice if I have someone special in my life. If we're just getting to know each other and haven't become intimate, I might have her over for a seasonal type meal, made with what ever looks freshest in the market. I'll also ask her in advance if she has a favorite dish, and I might cook that or include it in the menu.

Well, I could go on and on about this but hope it helps...

S..
 simpleman20188
Msg: 159
Can YOU cook?
Posted: 5/2/2008 3:23:16 PM
Among family and those that know me I am considered and incredable cook.

Part of good cooking is enjoying it, making it more than just a chore but a piece of art, a project of love.

This weekend I have family and friends coming. There will be three meat fifteen flavour shish-ka-bob, BBQ ribs, Corn on the cob, Green Bean Cassarole, new potatoes in a butter and parsley sauce, and that is just the base meal.
I can't wait to get started.
 Vancer
Msg: 162
Can YOU cook?
Posted: 5/3/2008 1:47:32 AM
I can cook a mean set of tv dinners.
Ridiculously consistent quality too.
 opnmydm
Msg: 166
Can YOU cook?
Posted: 5/3/2008 5:11:46 PM
i highly enjoy cooking and making all sorts of different foods for my date, that is if i am dating someone at the time, i also enjoy cooking as a couple, many different possibilities..
 avalanche325
Msg: 167
Can YOU cook?
Posted: 5/3/2008 5:28:28 PM
I'm a man and I can certainly cook. Grilled chicken with homemade marinades is my specialty. I also make a wicked orange chicken and I do General Tso's as well. So far my attempts as a good burrito have been futile.
Can YOU cook?
Posted: 5/4/2008 7:57:02 PM
I'm a great cook. Grilling and BBQing is my specialty. I can smoke/BBQ a steak that would be sold for big bux at a classy steakhouse. I also do some Asian cooking, mainly Chinese and East Indian.
 ae254
Msg: 170
view profile
History
Can YOU cook?
Posted: 5/4/2008 9:36:43 PM
Considering when I invite folk over for pasta night, on average I have a dozen or so show up... well, let's just leave it at "I have been told so"~

I grew up watching my mom cook. Later on, I somehow developed an allergy to both onions and mushrooms.

*sigh*

But I have managed to figure out how to enjoy Italian and BBQ without onion. I just had to get creative~
 nobrumski
Msg: 178
view profile
History
Can YOU cook?
Posted: 5/5/2008 8:05:37 PM
Nope can't cook at all. At the same time I am such a picky eater, I don't know where I would begin.
 jumby181
Msg: 179
Can YOU cook?
Posted: 5/6/2008 11:34:26 AM
yes, I can cook, and very very well. I like to eat so it just made sense to learn how. I enjoy daydreaming about what I want to cook, doing the shopping, hanging out in the kitchen doing the prep, which sometimes happens days before the actual cooking. The build up, then anticipation of how it will turn out.

Do I cook like that all the time? Hell no, I have to work, a house to take care of, responsibilities. But on the weekends I do enjoy spending time in the kitchen. I love to cook for someone, but it is more fun cooking together...
 sykoben
Msg: 188
view profile
History
Can YOU cook?
Posted: 5/11/2008 3:12:55 PM
cooking is so much fun
I have been doing it since I was a lil boy
my signature dishes are fettucini alfredo and lasagna
i made it through a year of culinary arts school and worked at the Fontain Blue.
 thathguy1123
Msg: 190
Can YOU cook?
Posted: 5/11/2008 9:44:53 PM
Yes I can cook. I infact do it for a living, and I hate every minute of it. Cooking for money has taken the joy from it.

I love cooking for friends or dates. But I have learned my lession. My last day at work is on Friday. I think it will be a long time before I cook again.
 lastbat13
Msg: 198
view profile
History
Can YOU cook?
Posted: 5/20/2008 11:14:33 PM
Yup, I makee the good grub. And I make it for one or more. It doesn't to me. I can't say I find it "enjoyable" to cook for others, but I don't mind cooking.

Signature dish is "Survival Food". It contains whatever the heck I grab spiced with whatever I grab cooked until it's done. Best served alone as it's usually rather hearty. I've never had any complaints about it.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Guy  >