Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it ok to ask for your wedding ring back after divorce?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 176
Is it ok to ask for your wedding ring back after divorce?Page 8 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
You gave it to her..it's hers/his whoevers.

You gonna re gift it? Pulease.

Mine ? Some fish probably choked on it..I place no value on something that had no value to begin with.

Pretty telling if you ask me.

Yeah..and give her back her years would ya?
I say that's an even trade.

You: I want my ring back. I paid for it. * stomps foot*
She: Well I want back my ten freaking years (or however many) back.

Someone needs their Flintstones chewable s with omega 3's.
Think.....
 bigshrek
Msg: 177
Is it ok to ask for your wedding ring back after divorce?
Posted: 6/9/2010 6:55:00 PM
If the gal gives the jewelry back after the relationship ends...
the BEST thing to do with it is have it all melted down to use to Gold-Plate your favorite pistol ;)

Frankly, the ring should be given back once the divorce is initiated.
 Rebluez
Msg: 178
Posted: 6/10/2010 9:34:30 AM
I didn't ask for her rings back... I didn't much care about it. I hear she took the diamonds and put them in her new set though. Seems she believed in the adage "men come and go, but diamonds are forever".. lol

As for what I did with mine... I took it to the nearest pawn shop, only asked for $25 (which just happened to be exactly the price of a carton of smokes at the time) and headed to the grocery store. I never smoked 200 more satisfying cigs in my life.

Bluez
 ~rain~
Msg: 179
view profile
History
Posted: 6/10/2010 9:42:43 AM
What are you going to do with it?? Wear it? pawn it? give it to your next girlfriend??

you gave to her, it is hers to do with what she wishes!! (unless of course it is a family heirloom) Then she should give this piece of your family back to you.
Leave it alone already, it sounds like you are looking for excuses to pick a fight with her because you are hurt that she has moved on..
You should move on as well and put the past behind you. Its the healthy thing to do.
 JFredMuggs
Msg: 180
Posted: 6/10/2010 9:46:26 AM
Wedding ring? Nah, why would I want that back? I did get my engagement ring back because it had been in my family for 3 generations, and I in turn gave it back to my Mother. Not sure what she'll do with it, probably give it to her lone granddaughter.

As for my wedding ring, I had plans to toss it in the Ocean out in CA. But I lost interest in that. I think I was going to just give it the ex, who was going to have both melted and turned into some other piece of jewelry.
 Tim_in_NPR
Msg: 181
view profile
History
Posted: 6/10/2010 11:49:15 AM
OP ... three easy words: NOT SO MUCH
 *Imperfection*
Msg: 182
Posted: 6/11/2010 10:55:59 PM
Why would you want them back? You did give it (them) to her, didnt you? What she decides to do with it (them) is up to her. But for some strange reason, I seriously doubt shes going to reuse them if she chooses to remarry.

what will she do with them?
sell them
melt them and make something out of them
give them to the kids (if you have any together)
give them away
keep them in a drawer (memories)
who knows?

You asked what would other divorced ppl do with their wedding bands?
I still have mine and plan on giving them to my kids. For me, its something that symbolizes what their parents had and what led to the kids being here. Its all the good stuff.
 isnuttinfree
Msg: 183
Posted: 6/12/2010 12:37:40 AM
If the OP had wanted the divorce I wonder if he'd be asking for it back. Hmmm.. will it then depend on who's fault it is that the divorce was instigated..hmmm.

I wanted mine back mostly because they were my parents rings. They meant something to me. Yes I demanded them back at the most appropriate time and yes she offered to give them to our children. I insisted and now have them. End of the story.

Understandble if the rings are in your safekeeping 'til they're passed on to your kids. In this case, a future partner should get new rings imo.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 184
Posted: 6/12/2010 2:05:56 AM

For those in the thread that commented: "well if he wants his ring back, she'd like her years wasted back" - that's crap and you know it. Regardless of who initiated the divorce and why, BOTH of their time was "wasted" - those implying that HER time is somehow more valuable than his are exactly the sort of people you see posting on the date threads about how a woman's worthy contribution to a date is "showing up". In the words of BigDaddyJinx (whom I haven't seen on here lately) - EPIC FAIL -

Lighten up Buckaroo...Like it could really happen.

Makes almost as much sense as asking for a wedding ring back * roll eyes*.

Plagiarizing another poster you look up to..Awwwwwww You DO have a "hero", now get some humor or learn when his quotes are appropriate and ask permission to use them grasshopper.

most women would respond very negatively (perhaps even violently) to such a request]

Now, WHO do you hang with.? Violent out of control women ?.YOU fail it seems...

Most men and women I know personally would know this is a totally inappropriate thing to ask.
 *Just Jim*
Msg: 185
Posted: 6/12/2010 4:28:31 AM
Nine times out of ten, that's the only reason people want it. People will destroy their wedding pictures, etc. but demand a ring back. Pretty telling if you ask me.

Yes,very telling & hating the other person imo, all rational thought is out the window.

& what is more disturbing as many of these same folks years later are still smoldering! lol

& on a positive note a least you don't have to give back all the bj's.

eattoplease
Msg: 186
Posted: 6/14/2010 5:33:25 PM
I think she prob sold it by now for groceries.....that rings just a small part...move on she has apparently...Good luck!
 LittlestIndian
Msg: 187
Posted: 6/14/2010 5:42:31 PM
No where in your wedding vows did you state that in case of a divorce you wanted your wedding ring back. What is the point, so you can recycle it and give it to your next wife??? If that is the case, tell your ex-wife that you want your washing machine back, the toaster, and the blender.

Nuff said!
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 188
Posted: 6/14/2010 6:17:08 PM

It's OK to ask anything you want. Should one expect that the ring is given back simply because it's asked for? Not in my mind. JMO
 DrummingNut
Msg: 189
Posted: 6/15/2010 7:56:59 AM
Never had anyone ask for the ring back.
Getting a pile of them in my jewerly box.

(lol)
 english lass
Msg: 190
Posted: 6/15/2010 8:57:41 AM
I left my engagement ring on the dresser when I left the house as, to me, it symbolized our promises of 'forever' together and that was now broken. I've no idea what he did with the ring, but as he bought it originally it's only fair it went back to him.

I kept the wedding ring because, to me, it symbolized the marriage as a whole, which includes our children. It's a simple plain gold band and is in a safe. When my daughter is older I'll give it to her (the boys wouldn't be interested.) Maybe she'll have it melted down into a design to wear on a chain, or something; it'll be up to her.
 funricosuavee
Msg: 191
Posted: 12/2/2011 4:38:36 AM
Yes, She should return it.. It's a breach of contract.. If you stop making payment on your car because you don't like it anymore would it be okay to keep it anyways??
My Ex wouldn't give it back either.. If she was so done with me there is no reason why she would want to keep it... That's okay though.. I transferred my business and all my assets under my Dad's name and got a minimum waged weekend job.. So, there! Go ahead and keep your $280 a month alimony Baby! LOL! "This is a Joke"
 StealthyNinjaKitty
Msg: 192
Posted: 12/2/2011 8:22:18 AM
When I left my ex, I kept my wedding ring & band because they're a family heirloom from MY side of the family. My dad gave them to my exhusband when he asked for permission to marry me. Had they been an heirloom from HIS side of the family, I would have given them back with no hesitation. Any of the jewelry that I acquired while we were together I kept, as my ex didn't want it back. Unless it's an issue of family heirloom, I don't see any reason to give the ring back...and I think it's tacky to ask.

I broke up with a man that I'd been living with and was engaged to several years later, and he wanted all the jewelry he'd given me back, including the engagement ring. No problem, it's shiny metal and rocks, and I didn't see any reason to fight over it, at that point, I just wanted him out of my life.
 Capn_America
Msg: 193
Posted: 12/2/2011 8:34:38 AM
Guess it depends on exactly the situation and what it is. But in my mind, a lot of the time, a gift is a gift. If you gave it at the time, its cos you meant it. No reason to take it back. And most of the reasons on the men's side of things are just out of spite (said not all, but most). My sis just split with her 9 year ex, and the guy is actually asking her to pay interests he would have made on the money he loaned her when they were living together....lol. I say screw the guy. Too bad I'm the only one saying, but thats another story.
As for wedding rings, yeah, she keeps it. Unless its like a family thing. But usually in a divorce, I dunno about you guys, but who should keep the damned band is the last thing that would be on my mind. There's other stuff she can steal that matters a lot more. Like car, house, etc lol. Hell, maybe she hired private assassin to end you in your sleep, the actual wedding ring becomes kinda passé
 gingerchick30
Msg: 194
Posted: 12/2/2011 8:39:35 AM
I agree with the posters that said she doesn't have to give it back. If she had broken the engagement before the marriage or if it had been a family heirloom of yours, then yes she should, but otherwise, no.

As many others have said, why would you WANT it back??

Another woman wouldn't want some other woman's engagement ring that you'd been married to if you found another woman that you wanted to marry and were thinking it'd save money on having to buy another ring.
 pureaussie257
Msg: 195
Posted: 12/2/2011 9:12:03 AM
You are joking eh? Why don't you go the whole hog and ask for half of the fridge, sofa,wine, good times,bad times and so on? Whilst your at it sue her for the stress she caused you when she gave birth to your children.
Seriously, you need to accept that when it's over then it's OVER!!!
 Capn_America
Msg: 196
Posted: 12/2/2011 9:34:08 AM

You are joking eh? Why don't you go the whole hog and ask for half of the fridge, sofa,wine, good times,bad times and so on? Whilst your at it sue her for the stress she caused you when she gave birth to your children.

LMAO. Dont feed them ideas
 Maleman999
Msg: 197
Posted: 12/2/2011 9:37:34 AM
I don't understand the dilemma with wedding rings. When my ex took off, she kept her wedding band and I had mine. No one needs a his and hers pair of wedding bands when there's no longer a him and a her.

As for engagement rings, I think the tradition is stupid and outdated. What's the purpose of the girl getting a ring, but the guy gets nothing? That's the whole crux of the problem with the issue of "Should she or shouldn't she give it back?" I'm assuming its roots are based on a time when a woman's role in society was to be barefoot and pregnant at all times and the man was the sole bread winner in the family, so only the man could afford to buy a ring.

Another reason I hate the tradition of a man being required to buy an engagement ring is women view it as a competition and the price of the ring is equated to the amount of love a man has. When a woman announces she got engaged, the first words out of her female friend's mouths is "Let's see the ring!!!" They automatically compare the ring to theirs. Women who got cheaper rings are pissed off and women with the biggest diamonds are considered more loved by their fiance and get bragging rights. The fiance's financial situation is never factored into the situation.
 gingerchick30
Msg: 198
Posted: 12/2/2011 9:47:42 AM
Maleman, I do agree about it being ridiculous the importance some women place on the "size" of the ring they get being equated to the "amount" of love the guy has for his fiance. If that were the case, marriages like Kim Kardashian's would never happen because she got a HUMONGOUS ring for a marriage that only lasted 70 + days.
 Capn_America
Msg: 199
Posted: 12/2/2011 12:36:55 PM

the importance some women place on the "size"

*sigh*
Some women ALWAYS place importance on the size, darn it....

Seriously, it doesnt matter, but what can I say, some people are shallow. Makes you wonder tho, if a guy doesnt see that side of a woman before marrying her, maybe he deserves not getting back a huge freakin rock lol.

Oh, and I dont know who Kim Kardashian is, but 70 days, Jesus...must be a headcase lol
 pureaussie257
Msg: 200
Posted: 12/3/2011 8:52:10 AM
^^^72 days.....2 days in her life is a lot!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it ok to ask for your wedding ring back after divorce?