Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it ok to ask for your wedding ring back after divorce?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 IamMedina
Msg: 176
Is it ok to ask for your wedding ring back after divorce?Page 8 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
I got mine back! My grandmothers, then my mothers diamond were on that chunk of worthless gold. Oh, yeah, I got it back. I'm going to give it my son when he's old enough.
She thought it was "spoils of war".
 IamMedina
Msg: 177
Is it ok to ask for your wedding ring back after divorce?
Posted: 2/26/2009 5:06:50 AM

This is why you shouldn't spend too much on a ring.

priceless!
 sunshinelady123
Msg: 178
Posted: 2/26/2009 5:17:24 AM
You could always do what my first husband did. He visited the kids when I wasn't home & just took them from my jewelry box. I didn't miss them for months. And he did regift them - more than once
 Chrisjax64
Msg: 179
Posted: 2/26/2009 5:21:16 AM
In a nut shell, "NO". You gave it as a gift. She is not entittled to return it. Why would you want the ring now, after the divorce?

When I divorced my first husband, I kept the ring and had it make into a very lovely****ail style ring. I had always planned to give the ring to our daughter. Now that he is deceased, and his family still treats me like $%^&, I'm glad I still own the ring. Because if I had given it back to him, the ring would be in his family posession and they would of sold it. Thus, our daughter would never get it. As long as it's with me, the ring will be hers someday.
 Zephyr2553
Msg: 180
Posted: 2/26/2009 6:40:54 AM
I sold mine and made enough money to buy groceries and gas to get to work for a week.

He bought it at WalMart, so it didn't bring much cash, but oh well........

When its over, its over. If it was a ring that belonged to your mother or a family member like a grandma or great aunt Matilda, then maybe you should.

But be careful what you give to someone who might piss backwards on you on down the road. A gift is a gift is a gift. You don't ask for gifts back. You can ask, but it will make you look stupid and she will have even more to discuss about you with her new boyfriend....you wouldn't want that, right?
 bakedbrie
Msg: 181
Posted: 2/26/2009 4:39:19 PM
You men can be so cheap sometimes. Why would you want her wedding ring back? Are you planning on giving it to your next wife?

It's a gift, it's hers. Were you planning on taking everything back that you've given her over the years? Never mind, you sound like you probably didn't give her much. Hey, maybe that's why she asked for the divource?
 starstuff942
Msg: 182
Posted: 2/26/2009 4:55:28 PM

If it's a family heirloom of the husband's then yes, give it back. If it was bought specifically for that wife, then it's hers to keep, no matter the price. He can ask for it in the divorce but she's not obligated to give it back.
 tziganka
Msg: 183
Posted: 2/26/2009 4:57:39 PM
You're still in love with her...and you are hurt. Time heals all wounds... *big hug*
 themoreILearnthelessIknow
Msg: 184
Posted: 2/26/2009 5:04:01 PM
This is a priceless thread. Its all about money and no one wants to admit it. If it wasn't about money woman would be happy with a polished piece of garbage instead of bragging to each other how big the diamond was or feeling sorry for their friend who got something small. If it wasn't about money what man would really care if he didn't get the ring back? . Whats the usual excuse???...I hear it come on....." how much he spent is a sign of how much he loves me and is willing to give up for me". Anyone want to mention prices for these rings they want back? I bet you wont find anyone wanting the cheap ones returned. The funny thing is we are talking about a symbol of a commitment between two people...so why does this have to be represented by something expensive????? Would you woman wear something proudly that your fiance made even if it was a piece of steel but the workmenship was poor? If it only cost him 5$ in material but a lot of work to make and in the end wasn't worth more then 5$ would you wear it? LOL lets just admit what this thread is all about. Money.
 Knittin Kitten
Msg: 185
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2009 5:24:42 PM
It's been so many years that I had not thought about it til I read this thread. I remember what I did with the ring he gave me.....that was engraved inside with "unending love - til eternity". I threw it in his face.....I was a bit upset that he had SIX women on the side while he was married to me. I also threw a gold bangle bracelet at him, because I had seen two bracelets in his sock drawer when I was putting away his laundry and I had only received one for Christmas.

Now, if you ask me what I would do if I had it to do all over again.....Knowing what I know NOW, I DEFINITELY would have kept it. It was platinum and would have helped to clothe and feed the children and myself for quite awhile, especially when his support payments did not arrive on time.

I kept the diamond marquis engagement ring. I figured that not only had I earned it, it, too, would serve as emergency back up in case I ran into financial problems. What a proud feeling I had when my children were grown and gone and I had not been forced to sell the diamond. However, I did sell it and bought my first mobile home here in Florida when I retired and moved.

Just my thoughts,

KK

PS. Someone mentioned that it was all about money....well, you can't feed two children without it. I was a faithful, loving wife...worked til the week my first child was born, bought the luxuries - washer, drier, dishwasher and vacations....I didn't feel that I was a "taker".
 Pinkribbonsinthesky
Msg: 186
Posted: 2/26/2009 5:24:58 PM
Interesting subject.

I feel YOU NEVER EVER give a ring back if you were married and you get a divorce. You both went into this marriage and you both worked hard, then something went wrong. WHOEVER asked for the divorce, it does not matter, time to move on, take your split and find happiness with another woman or man in your greener field called LOVE. Never leave with resentment, if there is children involved, they pay the price for your unhappiness. Stop being so selfish. Let them know how much they are loved and when you leave your husband or wife, YOU NEVER EVER TALK BAD ABOUT THEM, your words follow you, it is your name that is to be RESPECTED. You treat people the way you want to be treated...Your name is EVERYTHING. Never ever forget that...it is held with HONOR...and guarded with the sword.

Now if your ENGAGED and the WOMAN BROKE THE ENGAGEMENT UP...the RING MUST GO BACK TO THE MAN! If the man broke up with the woman, I believe she has the right to KEEP it or return it. I do not care if the jewels are Grandma's...Again, this is RESPECT, isn't that what love is all about...or you would not have got yourself in this mess in the first place...
 28_Gemini
Msg: 187
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2009 5:30:54 PM
Its not ok. Move on let her keep the ring...you dont need a constant reminder
of your past. ...Find someone better and just learn from your mistakes.
 sally bentley
Msg: 188
Posted: 2/26/2009 7:21:47 PM
A year after the divorce? No, let it go. It is over. You wouldn't be entitled to it anyway. My diamond was my husband's grandmother's. If he wants it back, he can replace it with something the same size and value. I made it into a necklace.
 silverstarchopper
Msg: 189
view profile
History
Posted: 2/26/2009 10:02:20 PM
Might as well ask for the toaster, the silk nightie, her favorite 8 track tape you bought her for her birthday back now that you two are divorced. Dude, she's moved on and it's been a year. Time for you to do the same if you haven't already.
 ohio2fl
Msg: 190
Posted: 2/27/2009 6:37:43 AM
Some states have laws on if you planned to get married and the wedding never happened- she has to give back the ring - if it was her fault. The ring is contractual in these states..

In your case, it doesn't apply becasue you were married for so long and you want to give hers back...

Why even bother giving her ring back.? Just pawn it! Especially if she is dating someone else. It only makes you look like you are still into her...

B
 trailgirl
Msg: 191
Posted: 3/2/2009 1:06:27 AM
Seems like too much wasted hate being spent thinking about the ring, and vindictive to ask for it back. Move on, seriously, and start thinking about anything else. You'll be healthier for it in the end. Of course this thread is years old, so hopefully the OP is on to better thoughts and living.
 Pontoon guy
Msg: 192
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2009 2:47:46 PM
It should be returned,but getting a woman to give it back....think that is not going to happen,however you can ask for it to be returned in the divorce hearings and in most cases ( depending on what caused the divorce) will rule that it be returned, I got it back!
 Cogie36
Msg: 193
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2009 2:58:33 PM
If it was an engagement ring and you never went through with the marriage thats one thing.......but asking for the wedding ring back is ridiculous.....you as a couple buy them together.....she gives you one and you give her one.....and thats the end of it.......regardless if you get in other relationships or not that dosent mean they give them back.........

I have my wedding set that will be givin to my daughter or my son when they decide to get married.....
 ocean_marina
Msg: 194
Posted: 3/6/2009 2:59:24 PM
No - it is NOT ok to ask for the engagement or wedding ring back. They were a gift to her and it was a token of the the love you felt for her symbolizing your relationship. I would think they have sentimental value to her even though you two are no longer together. Everyone has sentimental things from past relationships that they can't bear to part with.

They are hers and it's a little piece of your marriage / relationship that she has to hang on to. In the grand scheme of things we are only on this planet for a short time and you were a part of her life for how many years? Besides, what would you do with them? Sell them...melt them down or give them to someone else....that just simply wouldn't be right - they are her memories - just let it go and move on.
 Sarahrei
Msg: 195
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2009 3:01:10 PM
It's pretty bad that the OP want it back, because it's clear that he wants it back out of spite. If I were to get divorced I would probably give the ring back without asking, I wouldn't want the reminder .
 irishchick3
Msg: 196
Posted: 3/6/2009 4:14:06 PM
The rings were a gift and you just don't go asking for gifts back. Period.
I kept mine (he has his), and I will eventually use the diamonds in something else for my daughters. They will never be used as engagement/wedding bands again.
 geawar
Msg: 197
Posted: 3/10/2009 11:48:16 AM
yes, it is okay. why would the ex want it. i know, so she can sell, or hock it. she doesn't want it and she doesn't want you to have it either.
 geawar
Msg: 198
Posted: 3/10/2009 11:52:57 AM
what did you do to earn? as for you, i think you kept the ring as a way to get even. i think you was a taker.
 PrimeWoman
Msg: 199
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2009 12:09:52 PM
OP-
Petty, childish and inappropriate.

Personally, I will have my wedding and engagement rings recrafted into something else. The way I see it, it's symbolic of making the best of the situation, recycling--transforming trash into treasure, turning lemons into lemonade...the Phoenix arisen from the ashes.
 Amma63
Msg: 200
Posted: 3/10/2009 12:13:58 PM
No - it's not okay.

Unless the set was a family heirloom on his side............then she should have enough sense to give it back automatically.

Otherwise - not on your life.

B.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Is it ok to ask for your wedding ring back after divorce?