Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tarvold
Msg: 84
view profile
History
More Gramma Dramma.......Punctuate to PropagatePage 4 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Cycle of grunts:

forum of grunts
much mutual grunting
grunts evolved
 motownmaniax
Msg: 88
Are you a literacy snob?
Posted: 8/30/2009 2:11:35 AM
There's absolutely "nothing" wrong with judging future potential by rating intelligence. If people are so lazy, or simply too apathetic, to care how they appear in their profiles it says a lot about the way they think, and it's not a pretty sight...lol.

With spell-checking editors within easy reach on the net there should be no excuse for misspelled words, at the very least.

That said, I'll cut people slack for a misused word or context here and there. We all make mistakes. But to have a profile riddled with examples of unintelligible thought just screams incompatibility to anyone who treasures educated thought. It would be a dealbreaker with me.

Mo
 greyingred
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Are you a literacy snob?
Posted: 8/31/2009 11:07:43 PM

this particularly highlights that you take comments as a personal slight when none was meant

Hmm seems to me that the only one playing the chicken and egg game is not me. No slight was taken. Just expressing opinion. As for the knocking men bit....sorry but language both verbally and written seems to be more a female domain regardless of education or intelligence...so get a below average intelligent male with lesser communication skills and a chauvenistic attitude, one encounters problems especially if you are an above intelligent, higher level of communication skills and reasonably acute observations skills and worst of all female to boot...I think I said UG.

As for UG as opposed to UGH.....I did mean UG as in caveman lingo...UGH as in Yuck, as in a reaction to being revolted was not written nor implied.

Am with Soulmate on intelligence being innate and no matter how good or high the level of education without the innate intelligence it is merely gilded polish. An indigenous friend of mine left school at 14 and had not attended much beforehand. There is no doubt she is in the top 5% of intelligence and is a joy and challenge to converse with.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 105
Are you a literacy snob?
Posted: 9/1/2009 1:36:29 PM
Others graphically display the lack of thought that went into the composition

If you're like me, and I know I am, I wouldn't be wasting my 'composition' not to mention 'thought' on Plenty Of if I possesed the obvious prowess as some posters have here. Literacy simpletons are seen as drive by posters sometimes because we don't put as much time and weight into these posts.
I'm a performing artist (not by trade) and believe that writing is the most pure form of expression. I admire those that show true talent of artistry on here more than envy it. Some I would analagize as a talent such as a Bob Dylan busking on a corner instead of taking his talent to where it could do some real good.
 Musicalissy
Msg: 108
Are you a literacy snob?
Posted: 9/2/2009 3:24:39 AM
When I started reading this thread, I thought 'yes! I am a literacy snob and proud of it!'. In my profile, I even state that I prefer someone who can articulate words well. Like many others in this forum thread, I am attracted to a well written profile and turned off by too many spelling mistakes or even worse - incorrect punctuation or grammatically incorrect.

In some ways this may be judgmental of those that do not have an education. But I do not judge the odd mistake. It is when the profile is clearly not thoughtfully written or has too little content. Such as 'if you wanna know something.... ask'. Well my answer to that is 'I am not going to waste my time asking when you can't make an effort to say a little something about yourself.'

I do not have a degree, but I am working through one. I practically failed my HSC -but I am far from stupid. I wanted more for myself and was self driven to achieve what was then an enourmous feat. So, those that write well - either due to being formally educated or not, show that they make an EFFORT.

My thirst for self improvement and knowledge, attracts me to others who are the same. There are many intelligent people who cannot write - but unfortunately, when using sites like these that are text based, our initial impressions come from the words we read in each other's profile. Those that are smart but illiterate in some way, should be smart enough to have someone help them write their profile. Just as you would if you were to write a resume for a job. In fact, I think a profile should be taken as seriously as though you are applying for a job. Well maybe not AS serious, but I can tell you that those that make an effort, show that they are responsible, organised and smart.

Many of my friends talk/type in slang/code so that I have to keep asking them what they are talking about. It is extremely frustrating, but in person (face to face) I find them to be awesome people. So this leads me to wonder if I shouldn't fob off less than well written profiles.

But where do you draw the line? some people go for blondes, or dark skinned, or people of a certain weight or height. How is that any different to preferring those who write well?
 greyingred
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Are you a literacy snob?
Posted: 9/4/2009 7:36:17 AM
Absolutely!!!!! orators, poets, debators, authors, many more women than men

arghhh can't believe I am doing this...what an ignorance of history. There is a magazine that is specifically for women poets...it is called myslexia...which is an inability to get into print due to the fact that most publishers etc are men despite the fact that in school it is girls that predominately excell in english....it is a cultural, historical precedent that is changing.

lyrics and poetry are different...and sod off about Bob Dylan lol he can't sing for nuts and very few of his songs would survive without the tune. In fact a lot of songs are bloody awful rhyming doderal when spoken and full of cliches.

I'm off to the coffee and book shop to play three dimensional chess
 WithJustaLittleLuck
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Are you a literacy snob?
Posted: 9/6/2009 5:42:44 AM
Oh how I long to be a literacy snob, to spot the spelling and grammatical errors on the profiles of others; what a glorious gift that would be. To be able to look down upon those who confuse their and there, or sort and sought and don’t get me started on the use of two, to and too, which remain an impenetrable mystery to me.

To be illiterate, to be an illiterate adult, I know from experience, is to wander in a shadow land of ignorance and that to escape, through the kindness of strangers, into the broad and sunlit up lands of literacy is a blessing and a joy that can only be imagined by those to whom literacy has come relatively early and easily or sadly, not at all.

It is possible to imagine the modern world without telephones or motorcars but is impossible to conceive of it without mass literacy and inexpensive printing and as a consequence of that to be illiterate leaves you out of place and time, a stranger in a strange land for you have been born among the English speaking people but you are not really one of them. You cannot do what others do, you cannot learn what others learn, you cannot understand in the way that others understand because you have been cut off from the bedrock of your language which informs all other writing and provides the context and perspective from which all other writing is intended to be understood.

As I read back through this thread I recognise not only reflections of my own previous selves but others of all the kinds that I have meet along the way, from those long ago days when I use to have to write upon my arm the details that I needed to fill out a form, to get a job sweeping the floor.

The gifted, those that love language, those for whom the book is the centre of the day, they were my saviours and my inspiration, women all from whom the quality of mercy was never strained. They picked me up, encouraged me, comforted me and taught me what they could and then sent me on my way, to becoming an extraordinarily irritating autodidactic in desperate need of the discipline and humility that proceeds from formal education.

I recognise that special combination of unsuspected ignorance combined with absolute confidence that distinguishes the autodidactic from those who have been fortuned with a formal education. They are here in all there splendid varieties, those that have reached the mountain top, those who are upon the brink of making their final assault and those whose references suggest that while they are possessed of the love of learning their reach is well beyond their grasp but then what is heaven for.

But sadly I also recognise the brutish scribblers; barely literate themselves from whose ranks were drawn the army of my tormentors. Those whose disdain for the literate and the learned is a patina which clocks a well founded sense of inferiority, a want of self-esteem, a life sapping canker the consequences of which they will seek to ameliorate by humiliating those even less fortunate then themselves given any opportunity.

Am I a literacy snob, yes of course I am, as are all humans, it is language both written and spoken through which we know each other, through which we measure each other’s perspicacity through which we enjoy each other and understand each other. It is hard to imagine what it would mean to have a relationship with someone with whom you could not communicate or with whom you did not enjoy communicating, a someone with whom intellectual and emotional intimacy were just quite simply impossible.
 greyingred
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Are you a literacy snob?
Posted: 9/9/2009 1:15:07 AM

It is hard to imagine what it would mean to have a relationship with someone with whom you could not communicate or with whom you did not enjoy communicating, a someone with whom intellectual and emotional intimacy were just quite simply impossible.

Okay that's it! I give up all pretence and apart from a couple of spelling errors which is neither here nor there but 'their', a common mistake especially when composing and writing simultaneously. Mr Scholar I agree with Naamah.

Msg 115 as for women poets....glad you have forgotten Pam Ayres...as we all have.
 motownmaniax
Msg: 117
Are you a literacy snob?
Posted: 9/10/2009 12:46:11 AM
Literacy is essential ... if that's a criteria you value, and there's nothing wrong with it.

There is also a difference between someone that's illiterate but strives to better
themselves by learning, compared to someone who writes like a dumbbell and is
actually "proud" of it. I see the latter mindset all too often---the fractured words, the
gutter, ghetto spelling, the crude language apparently used for shock effect or ego
thumping ("Look how 'baaaad' I am"). I have no use for those types. And I don't feel
I need to have to defend myself or apologize or be politically correct in saying so.

There's nothing superior or snobbish about wanting someone to express themselves
coherently and intelligently.
 motownmaniax
Msg: 122
Are you a literacy snob?
Posted: 9/10/2009 3:36:32 AM
Google toolbar has a spell checker, too. I added it accidently and was surprised to find the feature was included.
 WithJustaLittleLuck
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Are you a literacy snob?
Posted: 9/10/2009 5:34:50 AM

the bl00dy thing only speaks American. Does anyone know how to naturalise a spellchecker?

I just installed firefox and there was a choice of a US or a British version on its homepage. I downloaded the British version and when I got it going it let me chose an Australian dictionary as some sort of add on. So the answer is probable to re install the program.
 DaddysLilDefect
Msg: 131
Are you a literacy snob?
Posted: 9/12/2009 11:47:51 PM
I dont mind a few badly spelt words, but what i can't stand is when people abbriviate everything!!

"hi hru 2dy?" grr it angers me hahaha It is definatly a pet hate! Even with a SMS, stop being a tight ass and send the 2 pages instead of the one, at least that way i will understand what you are saying!!

Oh and when people write "I Heart Things" ... because apparently its quicker?!?! ITS AN EXTRA LETTER! Love = 4 letters, Heart = 5 letters

/end vent.
 motownmaniax
Msg: 132
Are you a literacy snob?
Posted: 9/12/2009 11:51:38 PM

but then again thats the problem with computers and the internet, 90% of the
time its the users that are broken.

Can't count the times I've been guilty as charged.
 WithJustaLittleLuck
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Are you a literacy snob?
Posted: 10/2/2009 12:04:54 AM
^^^That is great.

What the hell is a Terpsichore?

I think Foeffer should be spelt Feoffer

Oh God I am the only one on here that has read the whole thing aren’t I?

There really isn’t any hope; I will be on here for life.

I better get some cats and be done with it.

lyingcheat
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Are you a literacy snob?
Posted: 10/2/2009 1:21:49 AM

Oh God I am the only one on here that has read the whole thing aren’t I?

No.
Not at all. On the contrary.
I read it two times, that's twice, one less than thrice.
One was fun, so why not double? Go for a couple?
Right through too, two to the end complete.

Though I thought wriggle and writhe deserved a place?
Not to mention queue and cue.
And where were hue and hew? Or who?
Which brings up sew, and sow, and so on...
And others, like done and bone and gone.
Bright, height and bite too, all out of sight.

No sign of signature reign, rain or rein
Neither work nor jerk, or lurk either.
Testing testing...
Two is more fun than one!
But three is a deformity.

meh! English rulz!
 WithJustaLittleLuck
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Are you a literacy snob?
Posted: 10/2/2009 2:05:59 AM
^^^Oh thank God, I will cancel the cats.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Are you a literacy snob?
Posted: 10/2/2009 3:00:16 AM
Thanks Julian!
After trying the verses, a Frenchman said he'd prefer six months of hard labour to reading six lines aloud.

I can see why the French guy had trouble of course, but on the other hand English has borrowed so many French words you'd think he would have found some quite familiar?
For instance...
enamour
chaise
corps
viscount
bouquet
chalice
joust
tour
mirage

I haven't even pulled all the French words out of that poem either... but just out of interest I stripped out all the words that look to be foreign in origin. I haven't researched or verified! I'm just going on appearance, so no one should rely on this for their thesis.

Some of these look to be ancient borrowings from Greek, Roman (Latin) and Norse (Scandanavian/Viking) and have been thoroughly anglicised, but others are obviously more recent.

diet, retain, plague, plaque, oven, receipt, devoid
Typhoid, measles, aisles, Exiles, similes,
Scholar, and cigar, Solar, mica, anemone
Kitchen, lichen, laundry, laurel
Scene, ballet,
wallet, mallet, chalet.
Viscous, mould
pronunciation, croquet, clamour, enamour
rival, tomb, bomb, comb,
devour, clangour, aunt,
Font, zeal, mauve, gauze, gouge and gauge,
Marriage, foliage, Query, fury
bosom, transom, victual, zephyr, heifer.
senate and sedate;
Scenic, Science, conscience, scientific.
Liberty, ache, moustache, leopard, precise,
police, Camel, disciple, label.
canal, plait, chaos,
Senator, spectator, mayor.
succour, Psalm, malaria.
Doctrine, turpentine, marine.
alien, Dandelion, battalion.
ally, whey, aver, leisure, skein, granary, canary.
Crevice and device and aerie.
preface, Phlegm, phlegmatic, target, gin,
scour, Hyphen, nephew
Monkey, cork, Psyche, paling, abyss, solace
Housewife, verdict and indict.

Add in tsunami and Japanese is represented, then perhaps throw in a volcano (from Latin - vulcanus) spewing lava (Hawiian - Pacific) onto the village (French) and burning (Norse/OE) up the houses (OE/Germanic) and it becomes clear, English is a very cosmopolitan (Greek - 'cosmos') language (O.French).
 nevaagin
Msg: 141
Are you a literacy snob?
Posted: 10/2/2009 3:43:26 AM
I think terpiscore or is that teri.. or damn , however it's spelt is something to with poetry or music and them sort of things . Languages are fascinating and english most of all , though not so much fun to speak as others [yeah yeah .. but I had to teach them so ..?].. English is fascinating due to England's raping and general pillaging throughout history [I think it was to make up for being tiny ]..but the not so much fun bit is due to the stiff upper lip philosophy it embraces , so you can't do a gallic shrug in English or randomly wave your arms around to make apoint as in Italian .
 lyingcheat
Msg: 151
view profile
History
Are you a literacy snob?
Posted: 10/3/2009 12:31:50 AM

Wish me luck!
Bona fortuna!
Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur...

probably just need a good latin root
I was just saying this to Lult just the other day. I think we all juan one of these.
That's the genesis of a thousand threads right there... looking for juan, but finding casanova.
 WithJustaLittleLuck
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Are you a literacy snob?
Posted: 10/3/2009 3:18:16 AM
I read the other day that Casanova was a librarian...handy when you are a literary snob

Yes it is a sadly unappreciated fact that the bookish are all fabulous lovers

"I have concluded that my conduct has depended more on my character than on my mind, after a long struggle between them in which I have alternately found myself with too little intelligence for my character and too little character for my intelligence."
Casanova "History of My Life"

WithJustaLittleLuck
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Are you a literacy snob?
Posted: 10/3/2009 5:15:32 AM

Quid agis, medice?

Vos es sic fervens

You realise this means we have no lives; it is going to have to be cats isn’t it.
 WithJustaLittleLuck
Msg: 158
view profile
History
Are you a literacy snob?
Posted: 10/3/2009 6:57:03 AM
^^^vos es sic meus somnium puella

Instead of cats or dating could I just get a copy of Harry Potter in Latin and learn to read that while I wait to die.

Yes it is in print "Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis" ; were there is life there is hope

nevaagin
Msg: 160
Are you a literacy snob?
Posted: 10/3/2009 2:28:12 PM
Hic hack and hock... sounds like what a red coated gentleman would say as the hunt began . I think i am the product of the hic part but hoc in Ireland is a little old castle that I am urged to go and claim ... this really means get involved in literary snobbery of the bureaucratic kind and I want to go to Italy anyway where they wave their arms around a lot and have rellies in Australia . And reading and literacy don't come high on the list of things to do .
 lyingcheat
Msg: 168
view profile
History
Are you a literacy snob?
Posted: 10/7/2009 8:34:27 AM

The character of Mr. Knox however is the one spark of hope in this dreary tale. Towards the end of the work he firmly rejects the meaning that Mr. Fox has tried to lock him into. He refuses to play his game of linguistic slippage...

Coincidentally, I'm not writing a paper on the post structuralist implications of Dr. Seuss!
It's quite a liberating position to be in, since it enables me to make wildly speculative assertions without regard for logic or truth.
For instance, I applaud the linguistic rigour of Mr.Knox in refusing to be bound by Mr.Fox and his distinctly unbound approach to language, but would argue that danger lurks in extending the point to a general principle.
Language, and meaning, are elastic. Linguistic slippage is surely a useful tool to explore that elasticity?

I also note Freudian connotations in Seuss' naming conventions. Seuss (actually Geisel) was of German descent which suggests the name 'Fox', or 'Fuchs', is an obscene analogue, and probably a metaphor for the role Mr.Fox plays in the story, vis-à-vis the relationship to language he tries to impose on poor Mr.Knox.
But Mr.Knox is resistant to being Foxed with, and is made of harder stuff, ie; he can take the knocks (knox), he's risen to his position as a character in this story via the 'School of Hard Knocks'. Which is itself a metaphor for the university of the street, basically - to be streetwise. So it's this canny faculty of commonsense that enables Mr.Knox to out fox Mr.Fox.
Ergo, bearing in mind the synonymous relationship linking the words 'rigour' and 'hard', these being descriptors of the outstanding qualities exemplified by Mr.Knox, Seuss seems to be echoing Mae West's famous aphorism - A hard man is good to find?

WithJustaLittleLuck
Msg: 174
view profile
History
Are you a literacy snob?
Posted: 10/8/2009 12:59:55 AM
^^^ There realy is a The Pop-Up Book of Human Anatomy
This could be the best day of my life
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  >