Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jetty65
Msg: 75
Welfare recipients with money to burn!Page 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
I've seen some very irresponsible people on welfare. I know of someone that actually had more kids (6 i think) so they could collect more welfare at the same time she is collecting child support from 3 different fathers. She is on crack so you know where alot of her welfare checks are going. She owes 2000 to BC Hydro and is constantly being kicked out of places for not paying the rent.

We want to help the kids then money for rent needs to go directly from welfare to the landlord or to government funded social housing. At least in some causes.

A lot of posters have mention the government and corporate welfare bums.

Well at least here in Canada I feel somewhat safe with the Government I have, its not a perfect system but it is one of the best in the world.

As far as the corporate welfare bums, remove their tax breaks, and there will be more of them heading off to China and other countries where they don't have to pay people squat to work for them.

Are all people on welfare irresponsible ? No, but for those that are something needs to be done, especially when children are involved.
 jetty65
Msg: 77
Welfare recipients with money to burn!
Posted: 4/24/2008 7:14:13 PM
Let be clear here, 2 of the children are now with their grandmother, 2 or 3 ended up in foster homes, one of them is with another family member. I do not have first hand contact with this person, but the person who told me about her is in much more of a position to do any reporting and I know he did file a report. I do not know what the current status is, i had heard that she got the one child back, last I heard. Social Services being aware of her condition. I'm pretty sure the hydro was cut. This is an extreme case but an example of how some people are irresponsible, but not all.
 jetty65
Msg: 80
Posted: 4/25/2008 8:19:39 AM

get government grants in the MILLIONS to build a business,

Like every government assistance program there are abusers. Most people really make the most of these grants, start up a business and hire people, helping the overall economy.

I received a government grant to go back to school, Ive made the best of it. Now I have a good job.

No one in this thread believes that welfare be abolished, just mad at the abusers. If the social safety net continues to be abused, it might not be there some day for people that really need it.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 87
Posted: 8/20/2008 7:02:50 PM
The Purpose of Welfare was originally conceived for those who have suffered a financial Misfortune to assist them to get back on their Feet. It was never intended to be a Way of Living.

Nevertheless, some Situations do not fit the common Groove and need to be compensated or adjusted for. At one Time the Social Ministries used to hand out Welfare Cheques like Candy, and many were working on the Side for Cash under the Table, and the Welfare was only their Monthly Bonus Spending Dough. I am glad they have tightened up on it, and require People to show Proof of Job Search and Need.

I don't know what Percentage, but much of the Money designated to provide the bare Essentials do not go there. I agree with Direct Gov't Rent Remissions, Food Stamps, etc. This won't stop all the Abuse & Waste, but curb it to some Degree.

In the Case of People who seem to have Lots of Money left over for Non-Essentials, report them to Social Services, after all its your Tax Money they are getting.

Many Companies prior to Welfare Bonanza Cutbacks, couldn't get Workers to put in more than a few Days a Month so as not to jeopardize their Handouts. When the Gov't started to raise the Eligibility Criterias, Workers were suddenly knocking on every Door desperate in Search of Work.

So I am all for Clamp Downs on Welfare Fraud, as well as assisting People to get back on their Feet and earn their Income.

I am over 50 and can not work over 20 hours a week(standing) due to a job induced permanent back injury.

You may be eligible for WCB/Disability Payments. Can you not change your Profession(s) to suit your physical Limitations? Many People become Accountants or take on clerical Work so certain Disabilities are not Obstacles.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 91
Posted: 1/29/2009 3:52:23 PM
How about someone who is "disabled"; do some people believe it's a fake in order to get a free handout? What, in your mind, constitutes a true disability?

Welfare has nothing to do with Disability, nor was Welfare ever designed to supply anyone with a permanent Living.

Go here »» How do I apply for disability benefits?
 Ticketoride
Msg: 93
Posted: 1/29/2009 4:08:07 PM
Disability is a provision for those who are unable to function at a job due to a limiting condition. Is that about right?

The Link I posted defines that.

Welfare = Provincial Gov't
Disability = Federal Gov't
 mrchicken
Msg: 95
Posted: 1/29/2009 6:56:42 PM
It is often the case that a society is best measured by the treatment of its less able!

Something like that. I don't know who said it, but I never forgot it.

Direct welfare costs to our government are a pittance compared with cost of mantaining even one of our armed forces war ships.

I don't know if that is actually true, I was told that by somebody, and I never forgot that either.

I often have trouble remembering my own phone number though.

As to
Welfare = Provincial government
Disability= Federal government
SEMANTICS
 moneyforyou
Msg: 96
Posted: 2/3/2009 8:04:17 AM
they might also have a sugar daddy or 2 on the side. - like me
 mrchicken
Msg: 100
Posted: 2/5/2009 12:54:08 PM
Yeah right boys, I am a disability case since 2007.
Over the years I have been on and off the welare system as my health deteriorated, and I make no bones about it.

These people that actually believe welfare people are getting away with something are really something else! I read some of these comments an I interpret them something like this.

Yeah OK, give these wefare bums and disabled people a few bucks. Just make sure I'm able to view their GROVELLING and SUFFERING at all times. I think it might be a good thing if these people could be easialy identified so that they could be reported to the authorities if anyone was to see them having fun. I do not think it is right that my tax dollars be used for such frivolous purposes as to allow these people to enjoy life . Maybe there should be a law allowing anyone to kick these people if we feel that they are not SUFFERING enough to satisfy their personal critera as to being needy. After all everyone pays taxes.

THIS TYPE OF THINKING NEEDS TO CHANGE
 Ticketoride
Msg: 101
Posted: 2/5/2009 5:47:56 PM
These people that actually believe welfare people are getting away with something are really something else!

Nice PR Job. I know of a Half a Dozen either on Welfare or Disability who are scamming the System as an Income Supplement, working on the Sides undeclared. Don't speak for everybody, you don't know them all.

Welfare is not a Way of Life. It bridges some rough Times so the Person has an Opportunity to get back on his Feet and lead a Productive Life.

THIS TYPE OF THINKING NEEDS TO CHANGE

Yeah, "The World owes me a Living" Philosophy. That went Buh-Byes 20 Years ago. Good Riddance.

After all everyone pays taxes.

If Welfare-ites have enough Money to pay Taxes, why do they need Welfare?
 Ticketoride
Msg: 102
Posted: 2/6/2009 3:50:13 AM
Most use the welfare system as it is intended.

Yet to see one. They must be hiding or something, because the ones I happen to run into are simply sitting on their Laurels screaming for more support and using it as an Income Supplement, usually to sustain a Drug Habit.

Same with the "Disabled". Most work under the Table and are often getting high 3-figures monthly because of Arms, Elbows and what not that are "supposedly" out of Order.

We obviously cannot make one single Statement for Everybody. Nor do I wish to see those who truly suffer not get the Help they need.

Most of the Welfare Proponents support Welfare for Life, which is not what it was ever intended to be ... for Mama Gov't to nurse them into old Age. I know what they are all about, and their Objectives are anything but noble. Have you ever heard them say to get off the Dole and get your Life back into Order? Nope, "Poor-Me" screaming for more Handouts.

I would bet better than 80% would be kicked off the Public Tit in a Flash if you were to covertly Video them 24/7 for even 1 Week, according the Eligibility Standards.

Well taking money away didn't solve the problem for the Liberals and putting money in didn't solve the problem for the NDP so my ultimate guess is that money is not the issue.

Well, its my Money being remitted to the Gov't, thus I have a say, and yes it is an Issue what gets looted out of my Pocketbook.

If you know someone is scamming but haven't reported them? Why not?

More than plenty. With proof too.
 mrchicken
Msg: 104
Posted: 2/6/2009 8:38:59 AM
Well punch my ticket! I t must be nice to live in a black and white world; however, for most people life is just not that SIMPLE !
For most of us life and the choices we make are a little more complex, and are dictated by many shades of grey .
There are times that I wish things were simply black and white, but thats just not realistic is it.
Recieve $900 from welfare for mother and one child. Rent costs $800 now what would you do?
 Ticketoride
Msg: 105
Posted: 2/6/2009 10:55:21 AM
Well punch my ticket! I t must be nice to live in a black and white world;

You just make these Assumptions out of thin Air or does this have any Bearing on what I posted?

You mean the Guy that only rips off the Gov't occasionally or doesn't declare his Income is a "Gray Zoner". Anything and everything exists inbetween, and that is why the Gov't has Guidelines in respect to Eligibility.

If you are capable of working in any Form, you should be seeking work, not looking for a Hand to feed you.

however, for most people life is just not that SIMPLE !

Its not simple for working stiffs either who barely make enough Money to get by when they are taxed to the Tune of better than a third of their Paycheck, and don't have anything left to give to the "Look at Poor Me" Crowd.

Recieve $900 from welfare for mother and one child. Rent costs $800 now what would you do?

What most Mothers do. Find a Job that pays the Bills. As I said before, its a temporary Crutch to help you climb back out of the Abyss that you have gotten into.

I have never received a Dime of Gov't Handout, even when I had less than a few Bucks in my Pocket 30 Years ago. I always find a Way, always find a Job or something you can do someone is willing to pay for ... always !!!

What I don't do is wait for anyone to give anything to me, and then make a Lifetime Career of it.

You are looking for the divine Gov't Hand again. I cannot comment on your specific Situation, as I know nothing about it. My previous Post nails the Majority who abuse Welfare and Disability, who wish to slide into Retirement on the Back of the Taxpayer.
 mrchicken
Msg: 106
Posted: 2/6/2009 4:53:23 PM
Hold on just a minute here!
I am computer stupid, so I ask Ticket man ,
What percentage of Canadian Government Revenue is actually generated by income tax?

LLAYNE, I can't believe you begrudge a welfare person the income from recycleables.

All I am saying is we are not all equally able, and not all levels of ability are easially measured.
Pierre Trudeau established an important Canadian policy declaring that Canada would be TOLERANT.

I try to be tolerant of others, even though I'm a jerk sometimes.
Time for a group hug!
 Ticketoride
Msg: 107
Posted: 2/6/2009 6:20:56 PM
What percentage of Canadian Government Revenue is actually generated by income tax?

You can search Google for that, or any other Tax Breakdowns.

Pierre Trudeau established an important Canadian policy declaring that Canada would be TOLERANT.

"Tolerant" does not equate to robbing hard-working Peter to pay idle & useless Paul.

A charming Gentleman leaving us an Inheritance of a $ 300 Billion Debt.

Time for a group hug!

Hug back. Now go and get a Job.

1 single welfare recipient collects 7 grand a year

Indiscretionally and lavishly appropriated Welfare Sums attracts more open Hands, like more Flies to larger Cow Patties. The System cannot possibly function without re-acquiring the Status of the Welfare State if its not trimmed down to the bare Bones. Its an Emergency Contingent, not a Path through Existence. The current low Welfare Cheques are a great Incentive to get off Dole and find some Work. A Welfare Life should not be encouraged.
 Wild Sweet and Cool
Msg: 112
Posted: 2/7/2009 4:57:25 PM
Alright i know this isn't going to be a popular reply but here we go. It's very easy for those of us who lack nothing in terms of material goods and comforts to judge those whose financial situations are dire. The woman that you speak of with call display may have had the unit purchased by a family member, or the service paid for. When my gf had to raise her kids on her own her brother made sure her car ran safely - new brakes tires etc and a skookum stereo system cause he loves her. We need to focus on directing more federal funds to single parents / people living below the poverty line / the elderly and others who are unable to take care of themselves. We need to hit big huge fat greedhead corporations for this money instead of allowing govt to squeeze it out of joe blow from kokomo who's struggling to feed his kids, not penalize low income people who scratch out subsistence livings on social welfare which is s.f.a. What's important - money or human beings? And since when is it a crime to be poor? We need to readjust our attitudes in this area or the stain on our country (and this city) in particular as regards to homeless people and starving people will NEVER been erased. And it's up to us to do it, not snatch a few bucks out of some lady's pocket who has to buy her shirts at Value Village. Come on, man!
 mrchicken
Msg: 113
Posted: 2/7/2009 5:31:52 PM
Yeah, what she said !

Fight narrow minded thinking !
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2009 5:43:15 PM
As for some who claim that they have never received Government Subsidies, funds ....well I would ask do you have children who are living in Canada and grew up here?
Did you receive your monthy Baby Bonus cheque?.. your Childcare Benefit monthly?
Anyone receive a GST rebate?

anyone receive EI while out of work for a short or long period of time?
anyone go to university here?...college... receive your education here in Canada?
go to a hospital for medical care?
see a doctor?

well our country is heavily subsidized. Yes... the gov't tops up the funds to provide a lot of what we consider basics in our country. And hell ya... you pay your tuition fees...but the taxpayers ...anyone who has to fork up a sales tax or any taxes over their lifetime has paid into it at some point.

back to welfare recipients...well unfortunately some pple abuse the system....this can be found in many places... many other situations..does not make it right.

Question is... do we want to abandon our fellow citizens who are in need?
Do we want to be a society without a social conscience?
How can we ensure that such frauds are exposed and dealt with?
 Ticketoride
Msg: 116
Posted: 2/8/2009 2:34:10 PM
There are certain people out there that have proven time and time again that they obviously CAN'T make the correct choices on their own. Do YOU expect ME to keep feeding these people a monthly cheque and have them NOT be accountable?????"

Excellent Summary. "I am just too stupid to take care of myself" is one of the covert Pleas to feed into the Lifetime Purpose for Handouts.

based on word of mouth from a number of people I've met over the past decade that appears to be the experience for most who try to immigrate from Europe. I was told it costs anywhere from $10,000 to over 30,000 , time not even counted, for one person just to satisfy our bureaucratic policies and it may take a few years before they can actually immigrate as the Canadian government needs time to process and verify information. lol?

And that is an Understatement, but was more true 20 years ago. $ 3,500 a Month to put up your average Ethiopian Family that ended up on our Shores was pretty well the Norm. I saw the Cheques first-hand from the various Levels of Gov't.

Fight narrow minded thinking !

Long Done. The Taxpayer is not reponsible to support anyone, we don't even know you, we owe you nothing.

Question is... do we want to abandon our fellow citizens who are in need?

Why can't our fellow Citizen not make any Efforts to find work? 2 Years is a long Time, considering better than 50 Applications can be made monthly. Welfare even provides this Training free of charge, how to get a Job. Fully trained and after 1,200 Job Applications the Person is still seeking Public Handouts?

We put too much Credibility & Attention on "Poor Conditions", but overlook the actual "Intention" of the Person who is really deep down looking for a free Ride through Life.

Do we want to be a society without a social conscience?

At Times, part of social Conscience requires the Boot.

I cannot be bothered to help anyone who doesn't want to help himself. By cutting Welfare Cheques down to bare-bones, the Stress is on People to find work, not to look for higher and continued Public Sustenance.

They are doing pretty good right now. Companies are the #1 Reporters of Welfare Abuse, because the Welfare Receipient usually asks to be paid in Cash or won't work any more Hours because his "Disability Payments" are being jeopardized. And its not just a few who are doing this, but the overwhelming Majority of Welfare Recipients. I haven't come across a single one yet who plays it by the Book.
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2009 7:18:06 PM

They are doing pretty good right now. Companies are the #1 Reporters of Welfare Abuse, because the Welfare Receipient usually asks to be paid in Cash or won't work any more Hours because his "Disability Payments" are being jeopardized. And its not just a few who are doing this, but the overwhelming Majority of Welfare Recipients. I haven't come across a single one yet who plays it by the Book.

Well we seem to know of people who are cheating the Welfare system .... so why are we not stepping up and doing something about it?

I for one support responsible reporting of fraud, abuse of all kind - financial, sexual, child abuse, spousal, animal abuse.
I say responsble in that having your facts correct and making the call and standing up for all of us that are feeling swindled by our fellow citizens.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 118
Posted: 2/8/2009 7:31:07 PM
Well we seem to know of people who are cheating the Welfare system .... so why are we not stepping up and doing something about it?

I report about a Dozen or more annually, just about everyone on Welfare I happen to run into.

A lot of the poor "Mother & Child" Needs-Assistance was fully engineered between her and the Boyfriend, more Money while he is out working. Just Income Supplement. If the Money is barely enough to get by, why is it so busy at the Liquor Store on Welfare Wednesday, and every Eastside Scum Hotel bursting at the Seams, and Drug Dealers out in full Force?

In my Book, very few play by the Rules, making just about everyone a Welfare Cheat, regardless what they say, whatever bogus Tear-fest is painted up.

Glad the Trudeau Days of the 70's are gone when you could apply for your $ 350 Cheque in every Province and have them forwarded to your Hide-out in Mexico and retire in Style after a few Years. They wouldn't ask anyone to look for a Job, and they'd only have to come in once a Year to re-apply.
 mrchicken
Msg: 120
Posted: 2/8/2009 10:48:50 PM
Are there no work houses?
 Ticketoride
Msg: 122
Posted: 2/10/2009 3:44:35 PM
There is a line up takes place on the North side of Powell St. skid row every morning this line is for those that are soooo out of it they have to be given their welfare/and or disability cheque one day at a time

Any Loafer on Powell is either a Boozer or Drug Addict. This Habit that renders them "Stupid" is where the Welfare Cheque walks off to, and isn't helping anyone other than to procure more Drugs.
 Xavery
Msg: 126
Posted: 2/14/2009 9:38:39 PM
^I don't know if the OP had the cognitive power to think clearly about this matter, because the statement is insane. I have no idea how people on welfare manage and wonder why people always need to go on about the atypical person who abuses the system. Welfare recipients have money to burn and Santa Claus is real - right!
 Ticketoride
Msg: 128
Posted: 2/17/2009 10:45:24 AM
It is nice that so many of you closed minded folks can sit behind your computers in your heated homes and pass judgment.

After working 50 Hours a week or more, I sure that can be minimally expected. Further more, you are talking about the Taxpayer's Money, my Money, and I have a say what the Gov't does with it by discussing these Matters with my MP who represents my Points to stop the Thievery of those who are looking for a free Ride through Life.

Schizophrenic are psychiatrically assessed and institutionalized when it has been deemed they are unable to take care of themselves. As with those with "fetal alcohol syndrome", where medically verified, will receive Disability Payments.

The rest don't qualify, because they are able to take care of themselves and are able to work. A Brief Review of the Welfare Scammers I have come into contact with more than adequately bear that out.

Maybe you should look up that crazy homeless relative from your family and bring them into your home.

They are either not qualified for Assistance, on Booze/Drugs or chose to be living on the Streets. Most make a Game of receiving Assistance, and won't work to earn a Living.

Most would prefer to just turn a blind eye and pass judgment.

Most are blind to the Fact they are usually Drug Addicts or use Assistance to supplement their Income. Judgement comes after the Facts are considered, without which you cannot render a Decision.

It is people like you that have made it so damn hard for those in need to jump the hoops to collect benefits that they prefer to pass by the government assistance offices and live in cardboard boxes on the streets.

Its the Costs of the Welfare State that rips off a substantial Portion of our Paychecks to support those who contribute nothing back.

Give your heads a shake and find some compassion for human kind !

Compassion starts with you and your Friends giving away every Penny left over from your Paycheck to feed those who do not support themselves, not the Gov't.

If every such bleeding Heart did the same Thing, you wouldn't need to ask the Gov't for anything.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >