Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pro-filer
Msg: 124
Welfare recipients with money to burn!Page 5 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
^^^^^^
Don't know when you were collecting, but when I was on welfare when my daughter was young, I had approximately $300 over and above rent. Certainly not enough to support a car, and I don't remember even having a TV. Hydro, groceries, laundry, clothes for her and transportation to my part-time job seemed to eat up all the rest. It may be that for your situation, you were entitled to more because of your son's illness. I certainly do not recall my time on social assistance being anything close to being a walk in the park.

I think pride is what gets people off assistance - certainly was my motivating factor since at that time, jobs that I was qualified for were pretty scarce and hardly paid more than welfare after childcare was taken care of.

Speaking of that ... which is better? Living below the poverty line on welfare with your kids and home full time, or living below the poverty line with a job and your kids are raised by someone else? Just curious.

And, glad your son went into remission. Hope all is well now.
 cantgetout
Msg: 125
Welfare recipients with money to burn!
Posted: 2/14/2009 9:21:48 PM
Just so you know, a single parent (with one child) on welfare now gets a maximum of $520/month for shelter and $325 for support, plus child tax benefit, which I think is just under $200/month for one child. So the total income is about $1045/month - not exactly a princely sum, considering that the average price for a one-bedroom in the Vancouver- Lower Fraser Valley area as of October/08 was $880. (This according to CMHC - the lowest was $709 in Surrey, highest was $1227 up at UBC; the average price within Vancouver proper was $936. ) A parent in this situation often has maybe $200-$250/month - or less - left over from which to pay for food, laundry, phone, transportation, clothing, etc. for two people. (And, of course, they often need to use some of that money for the expenses of looking for work.)
 Xavery
Msg: 126
Posted: 2/14/2009 9:38:39 PM
^I don't know if the OP had the cognitive power to think clearly about this matter, because the statement is insane. I have no idea how people on welfare manage and wonder why people always need to go on about the atypical person who abuses the system. Welfare recipients have money to burn and Santa Claus is real - right!
 mo-mo
Msg: 127
Posted: 2/17/2009 10:25:44 AM
I have never collected a day of welfare in my life...... There but for the grace of God go I...
Having worked in the system for almost 20 years I can tell you there are many people that require this assistance. How many of you are willing to financially support your schizophrenic 55 year old aunt or the 19 year old orphaned boy with fetal alcohol that collects the bottles out of your recycle bins ?
Not too many of you I would figure. It is nice that so many of you closed minded folks can sit behind your computers in your heated homes and pass judgment. Maybe you should look up that crazy homeless relative from your family and bring them into your home.
Take them off the streets, Keep them off the Dole.....not very likely is it.
Most would prefer to just turn a blind eye and pass judgment.
Count your blessings and hope that you or any of your family members never need public assistance. It is people like you that have made it so damn hard for those in need to jump the hoops to collect benefits that they prefer to pass by the government assistance offices and live in cardboard boxes on the streets. Some even burn to death !
Give your heads a shake and find some compassion for human kind !
 Ticketoride
Msg: 128
Posted: 2/17/2009 10:45:24 AM
It is nice that so many of you closed minded folks can sit behind your computers in your heated homes and pass judgment.

After working 50 Hours a week or more, I sure that can be minimally expected. Further more, you are talking about the Taxpayer's Money, my Money, and I have a say what the Gov't does with it by discussing these Matters with my MP who represents my Points to stop the Thievery of those who are looking for a free Ride through Life.

Schizophrenic are psychiatrically assessed and institutionalized when it has been deemed they are unable to take care of themselves. As with those with "fetal alcohol syndrome", where medically verified, will receive Disability Payments.

The rest don't qualify, because they are able to take care of themselves and are able to work. A Brief Review of the Welfare Scammers I have come into contact with more than adequately bear that out.

Maybe you should look up that crazy homeless relative from your family and bring them into your home.

They are either not qualified for Assistance, on Booze/Drugs or chose to be living on the Streets. Most make a Game of receiving Assistance, and won't work to earn a Living.

Most would prefer to just turn a blind eye and pass judgment.

Most are blind to the Fact they are usually Drug Addicts or use Assistance to supplement their Income. Judgement comes after the Facts are considered, without which you cannot render a Decision.

It is people like you that have made it so damn hard for those in need to jump the hoops to collect benefits that they prefer to pass by the government assistance offices and live in cardboard boxes on the streets.

Its the Costs of the Welfare State that rips off a substantial Portion of our Paychecks to support those who contribute nothing back.

Give your heads a shake and find some compassion for human kind !

Compassion starts with you and your Friends giving away every Penny left over from your Paycheck to feed those who do not support themselves, not the Gov't.

If every such bleeding Heart did the same Thing, you wouldn't need to ask the Gov't for anything.
 mo-mo
Msg: 129
Posted: 2/17/2009 11:42:37 AM
Most make a Game of receiving Assistance

What a fun game that must be ? Going hungry ,freezing your ass off in the streets,afraid for your life.... I bet most of them would rather be playing computer games indoors in a warm home just like you.

Schizophrenic are psychically assessed and institutionalized when it has been deemed they are unable to take care of themselves. As with those with "fetal alcohol syndrome", where medically verified, will receive Disability Payments.

You may want to do a lil more research on this subject. That is if you are at all interested in opening up your mind to caring about others.
Most psychiatric institutions and outreach programs have been closed down or drastically had their funding cut.
Theses people Schizophrenics or fetal alcohol sufferers to name a few do not have the mental or often physical wherewithal to look after themselves let alone work or jump through the hoops required to collect any welfare.

It never stops amazing me how generous and giving these people with nothing financially to give manage to give.
Often they are the first to give away their small pittance of money to another whom they feel is more in need. Their shoes with the holes in the toes serve them just fine and maybe they guy on the next corner could use the new ones more.
If more of us could adapt their selfless attitudes i believe the world would be a much happier place.

How many of you insure your cars on the island because the isurance is cheaper and there is no aircare ? I have met many working stiffs that feel it is ok to rip off the government via icbc or income tax. I guess its ok as long as you work. Consider yourself lucky enough to have you wits about you to be able to pull these white collar scams.
The poor mentally ill street people often don't even have enough wits about them to collect whats owed to them.

Therefore they dont have money to Burn only cardboard boxes and sadly even sometimes them
 whitetigeress
Msg: 130
Posted: 2/17/2009 11:46:48 AM
State that rips off a substantial Portion of our Paychecks to support those who contribute nothing back.

^^
research just how much of your paycheck truly does go to welfare
and how much it goes to other things that contribute nothing back such as care for senior citizens... you want that back too because it does nothing for YOU ?

bitterness and greed are such ugly traits
 Ticketoride
Msg: 131
Posted: 2/17/2009 12:23:56 PM
What a fun game that must be ? Going hungry ,freezing your ass off in the streets

Have a look in the Streets!!! There thy shall find an Abundance of Drug Addicts, financed by the Welfare State.

Most Welfare Recipients would rather not work and have a warm Home and play Computer Games. Some of us have Goals in Life and we work our butts to achieve them, and take Objection to those who run a "Poor Me" Campaign to have others pay their Way through Life. Again, as I have mentioned previously, those eligible and in need should be helped, but not to make Welfare a permanent Income.

This Topic is about Welfare Recipients who have Money to burn, not those who qualify by Gov't Standards.

research just how much of your paycheck truly does go to welfare

You can do the Research yourself, and it doesn't Matter if its 5 or 20 Billion. You are completely missing the Point here. No Argument has been made against those who require Welfare according the Gov't Outlines to bridge a Time of Mis-fortune. That is its Design, its not a Job or a Method of permanent Income, its not here to assist the working able to supplement their Drug Habits.

Care for Senior Citizens is not the same, nor have I made any Reference to it. They have usually paid Taxes all their Life anyways. That however is not a Welfare Issue. You should read the Posts I made earlier, little Point rehashing it again. This Topic is about those on Welfare with Money to burn. Again ... "Money to burn". And there are Way too many of them.

Maybe you don't get out often enough to see whats really going on. As soon as they are kicked off Welfare, they are suddenly available for work. I like the Gov't Guidelines, and if anything should be cracking down even further on the widespread Abuse.
 FunnyAndSweet48
Msg: 132
Posted: 2/17/2009 2:16:23 PM
I am all for reporting those who are truly scamming welfare & I have, however I notice several people on here encouraging others to report people who are scamming welfare. Remember that there is a difference between knowing & assuming. I am concerned about people jumping the gun & reporting those who legitimately need to be on welfare, based solely on observations without knowing the full details of that person's personal situation. Keep in mind that some use alcohol and/or pot to keep their pain level manageable because often pain meds are not enough, but I am in no way supporting those who use these & other illegal substances for recreational purposes.

I've heard so many people say that so & so shouldn't be on welfare, after all, she/he is physically fit & active so why can't she work? Disability comes in many forms & not everyone is willing to spread the details of their disability to everyone they meet, nor should they have to. Just because someone is not in a wheelchair or physically impaired & able to lead what appears on the outside to be normal lives, does not mean they are not disabled. Unless you have discussed the details of the disability directly with that person, you do not know what their daily struggles are.

I learned a good lesson when I was considering reporting someone for welfare fraud, however, one day a piece of her mail was put into my mailbox by accident. From the return address & discussing this with a neighbour who knew her better than I did, I learned that she was on long-term disability due to a mentally debilitating illness that would have made it difficult if not impossible to work. Although she seemed quite capable of working from an outside point of view, she could not function in a work setting other than delivering the local newspapers twice a week.

Many people on long-term disability want to work & suffer from self-esteem issues from not being able to have normal jobs & successful careers like their friends do. Those who can are encouraged to do whatever work they are able to, in order to remain mentally and/or physically active & avoid the depression that comes with feeling like a failure in life.

Therefore, those on long-term disability are allowed to make up to a certain amount of $'s on top of their disability income. Some can function in part-time jobs while others can only function in volunteer positions as they lack the daily consistency to be efficient in a regular, paying job. Even telemarketing jobs require efficiency, the ability to meet quotas & deadlines on time, good communication & problem-solving skills & the ability to tolerate verbal abuse & defuse angry people politely, not to mention the ability to sit upright for several hours at a time.

A friend of mine was once reported for welfare fraud by a lady she met at a party we went to. This lady was furious that a young, healthy & intelligent girl was on welfare instead of working, while living rent-free. What this 'outstanding citizen' who reported her didn't know was that my friend was on welfare only because she was taking a course so she could get a full-time paying job & that she had rent & utilities to pay at the house she was living in.

Due to this fraud report, welfare immediately suspended my friend's financial support pending further investigation & she had to quit school & file an appeal. A month or two later it was proven that she had not committed fraud, but this interrupted & delayed her schooling so she ended up having to be on welfare much longer than planned until she completed her course & got a job shortly after.

I would recommend that before you report someone for welfare or disability fraud, invite them over for coffee & try to learn more about them & their disability if they're open to discussing it. You might just realize that you've made an ignorant A S S of yourself by jumping to conclusions ... or they might even admit that they're scamming welfare, as some quite openly do.
 Xavery
Msg: 133
Posted: 2/17/2009 7:16:35 PM
Schizophrenic are psychiatrically assessed and institutionalized when it has been deemed they are unable to take care of themselves. As with those with "fetal alcohol syndrome", where medically verified, will receive Disability Payments.

This how I believe the system deals with schizophrenics. They are psychiatrically assessed as pointed out and then they may or may not stay in a psychiatric facility. It is cheaper to fit them with chemical straight jackets. Give them a c@cktail of major tranquilizers and send them marching. The straight jackets are ill fitting and have many side effects so this leaves schizophrenics unable to work or not using their drugs and, perhaps, self-medicating.

Once upon a time there was a place called Riverview (still exists) and many people with psychological illnesses lived there. Then something happened called deinstitutinalizaion and it was suppose to help the people with illnesses because they could live independently -maybe, in group homes, but the sick people got lost on the streets. However, I have heard they have money to burn or is it candles in their shopping carts.

X
 Pacific Storm
Msg: 134
Posted: 2/17/2009 9:25:13 PM
Sometime in the 70's?80's? the BC Premiere made a statement on TV that all those welfare "bums" should show up with a shovel on a certain day and he would give them some work.
There were so many people showed up with shovels, all ready to go to work that the Premiere was totally overwhelmed.
I also wonder though, about the huge number of mentally/emotionally handicapped people (some officially diagnosed, some not, some having turned to drugs or been an easy target for the trade, some not) who are also on the Welfare rolls.

And then there are the people who are just willing to ride the back of other's hard work because they can.
Generalisations tend to make idiots of us all
 Ticketoride
Msg: 135
Posted: 2/17/2009 10:27:26 PM
I am concerned about people jumping the gun & reporting those who legitimately need to be on welfare, based solely on observations without knowing the full details of that person's personal situation.

They do not act on Reports 'Carte Blanche', they investigate if you have something to go on other than just Hearsay. If you are mistaken, no worries, nothing will come of it. From a Business Perspective, the Employer would call the Welfare Fraud Office should a Temp Labourer insist he be paid Cash so as to not jeopardise his monthly public Supplement. They may not do anything with it at that Time, but if more Report accumulate, they'll take Action.

Due to this fraud report, welfare immediately suspended my friend's financial support pending further investigation & she had to quit school & file an appeal.

Go higher up and report the Case Worker who suspended your Friend. All Reports have to have a Basis other than just hearsay. There is no formal Appeal. The ministry has been restructured, and its likely that may be a Tale from the past.

Generalizations tend to make idiots of us all

So true.
 mrchicken
Msg: 136
Posted: 2/17/2009 10:47:39 PM
If I even suspect that somebody is collecting welfare, and I'm not satisfied that they are sufferring enough, I report them! HA, HA, HA.

I'm a big important man!
 heavyiron
Msg: 137
Posted: 2/22/2009 7:06:59 PM
Yes I would say I am a little confused by some of these single moms on income assistance who always seem to be wearing the latest fashions from Lu Lu lemon and Bebe, with plenty of extra cash on hand for tanning beds, gym memberships and money for babysitters so they can hit the bars on a regular basis and make more children with some loser who can't pay support.....I am sure I am going to get roasted for this post....but it needs to be said
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2009 4:00:32 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Ya...who the hell are they?... I wonder about that too.

Don't want to judge others.....but man.. my kids have been known to wear consignment coats....and we do go without the latest gadgets... no Wii, no big screen telly and the designer duds.... no babysitter here.
I got to wonder where the money is coming from for the manicures, tanning... vacations and gosh.. cabs... who can afford to take cabs?

sorry...but I'm with you heavyiron... I don't get it.

I am a single mom with 3 kids..not on welfare... no alimony here... we are doing okay....but we don't have the luxury items like a lot of welfare moms have.
 heavyiron
Msg: 139
Posted: 2/23/2009 7:09:41 PM
Thats the problem westernwildrose the gyms around the vancouver suburbs are full of single moms on income assistance with manicures ,pedicures, fake boobs ,fake tans and all the rest and when I overhear the conversations its always about what bar they are going to that night? But what I suspect is that the ex husbands of a lot of these women are financing there lifestyles in the form of support that is meant to go for the childs needs...I know this because my ex wife is one of them but as a father in BC I have no say in how she spends my money unless I take her to court and then she gets a free lawyer and I will have to pay thousands, so in the end its a lose lose situation for me. It seems to me that the single moms on welfare get a better deal than the moms who are working there asses off trying to make ends meet and it's just not fair.
 Fa que
Msg: 140
Posted: 2/23/2009 7:24:46 PM
Lots and lots of stereotyping in this thread eh.

Sad day when we say we KNOW what others lives are like when we really have no clue. Of course there are people abusing the system. People abuse lot's of systems. People cheat and lie and steal all the time. I betcha lots in here have evaded paying taxes, maybe stole a company pen or trinket. Maybe they took advantage of an automobile accident to get unrelated damages fixed....

The old Cast the first stone applies.

I am not condoning any abuse of a system like welfare, but I am sure glad it is there for those who might need it once in a while. For those who cheat the system on a regular basis, I say; Hold yourself accountable, and if you are gonna cheat, I hope you get caught and it is dealt with accordingly. I will not however pigeon-hole people into groups because I have no idea if the need is genuine, best to give the benefit of the doubt.
 cantgetout
Msg: 141
Posted: 2/23/2009 8:21:51 PM
The only agency that diagnoses fetal alcohol spectrum disorder in adults is the Asante Centre , which charges $3,000 for an assessment for an adult. (This was several years ago; it may have gone up.) Poor people don't have that kind of money, so they don't get diagnosed. (Occasionally, a kindly GP will stick his or her neck and offer a diagnosis - which they are not really supposed to do - but, for the most part, adults with FASD go undiagnosed and hence cannot get disability on that basis.)
 lovnlife
Msg: 142
Posted: 4/4/2009 11:51:31 PM
I seriously take offence to those who sit back and slag those on welfare as lazy and worthless.

I know first hand how women end up having to look at assisted housing or welfare. Yes there are alot of jobs out there. Do you know how much day care costs, do you know how hard it is to climb up the ladder in life with a child some man abandoned?

First off it is men who abandon their responsiblities when they get the women pregnant. Hence having to turn to welfare. Next time your out with your buddy bragging about how he ducks his support payments, or how he has kids he doesn't pay for slap him up side the head and call him the POS he is.

Yes some people are gold digging Lazy losers, yes there are some. Then there are some who never asked for their situations. So to sit around and condem them as lazy is IGNORANCE on your part. HOW DO YOU WORK and take care of an abandoned/unwanted(by the father) child at the same time. Some people really sit on their high horses and call people on welfare lazy. HOW dare you. I work hard and I pay my taxes, I however do not look down on those less fortunate in life. Unfortuanatly there are too many people out there slagging of those beneath them financially, it's a sad testament to selfishness and greed that is so pervasive in this city.

Only those who take my comments personally I have issue with, and even then I really could care less abolut you anyways.
 MercutiosGhost
Msg: 143
Posted: 4/5/2009 12:13:57 AM
^^ Don't hate the players, hate the game. The game of LIFE! SPIN THE WHEEL

I live in a town known for... single moms... and most of them aren't refugees. Some of their baby daddies might be though! Yeah I once had a date (a=one) with a high-school girl who turned out to have been twice pregnant, and did a fair bit of drugs. She was hot though! I don't have a point, it's late, sue me.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2009 6:31:05 AM
People on assistance get very little, and if they spend it as they rationally choose, they are maximizing the utility of that money, whatever anyone thinks about their choices. And, yes, not everyone is rational. And some people have unreported income - but that's not what we're talking about.

For smokers (not me - ever - but I understand) their drug is a necessity. It's a legal addiction. Remember, cigarettes used to be in the Consumer Price Index because about half of Canadians were smokers!

Cable TV? For a family with children, it's a valuable and very cost-effective way to keep the kids educated, up-to-date and entertained that does not involve danger. (No, not the premium porno channels!) It allows them to do school research, see current events and see some cultural and regional things their parents can't afford for them.

Taxis? If you don't have a car, picking up groceries can be cost-effective by cab, particularly if one can't carry a familyfull of food. Taxis are the only way to make sure one meets critical appointments like job and social services interviews for many on assistance. And doctors one may have waited for months for. If you're poor and have an emergency and no friends with cars, the taxi is your way to go.

For someone trying to reconstruct a family by finding a new partner, some expense on dating and clothing is often appropriate.

A cell phone may in fact be the result of not being able to qualify for a home phone - you can get them prepaid no matter how screwed your credit is because your spouse took off after raping the bank account and credit cards and making 100 calls to his or her online lover in Sweden.

I knew a 40-something mother who was abandoned by her husband with two kids and a lot of debt. Despite his having left and money being very, very tight, she felt it was important to repair her engagement ring because she never accepted that she was divorced. She sacrificed for over a year to get up enough to replace a $400 side-stone in the ring that had fallen out. It was that important to her.

I say, if it's not fraudulently obtained and there's nobody suffering as a result, people have to make their own choices. I wonder how many sanctimonious types would think of cutting back on their booze consumption - credit counsellors (dealing with people NOT on assistance, just in deep debt) find many won't even consider it.

ED BEAR
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 145
Posted: 7/6/2010 5:05:15 PM
LOL I've seen fair number with the latest cellphones as well Apple iPhones or whatever, and sleek new laptop computers, heading to a cafe with wireless access, etc.

I don't have either one of those things and I work _ I guess some people really do just feel 'entitled' though.

oh yeah, most 'need' a home computer & internet access too -maybe to check for dates on POF? or other sites?
 *ScorpioSweetiepie*
Msg: 146
Posted: 7/6/2010 8:26:33 PM
yup.. burns me up also... some.. not all of course.. are drug dealers.. they need to be on welfare so no one suspects... isn't that nice??? NOT

I have a taxi account and I know that when I call on 'that' certain day..(especially if its raining) the taxi company is super busy.. all with the welfare peeps.. heading to the liquor store... they tell me all about it.. pretty sad really....
 Ed Bear
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2010 4:23:36 PM
Sarniafairyboy: lest you forget, those fancy phones are pushed with plans that make them "free" or "cheap" and then a long-term commitment to pay and pay. And they are pushed to people who have no idea how to manage money or pay back debts. The salesthings always claim the upgrade will "save you money."
ED BEAR
$17.32 a month, and I bought the phone for $10, a motorcycle ride and a bowl of noodles.
 babyland
Msg: 148
Posted: 7/8/2010 4:37:41 PM
After nine years I flunked out of Vegas. I got a job in San Bernardino as a process server. My car engine blew up and I couldn't afford to fix it. I moved in with my uncle in Tarzana. He would let me live there but he wasn't going to feed me.

I started learning air conditioning at the West Valley Occupational Centre in Woodland Hills. A school subsidized by the State. No medical in the States but in the State of California there is free or dirt cheap vocational training available. You can pull yourself up if you apply yourself.

I go to welfare and apply for and receive a 140 bucks a month in food stamps. That's 35 bucks a week, right? That's five bucks a day, right? But it's enough because I would rather breath than eat anyway.

Not too long into this I get a letter: Please report to superintendent so and so for beautification of freeways. Time and location. Which I would have done it but it was during school hours. I phone. Can I do it on the weekends? No!

Meanwhile I got a counsellor at the West Valley Mental Health. That's where I get my script. I'm bipolar. I'm talking to her: "What am I gonna do? I can't quit school and I gotta eat.

She says, "You don't have to do it. You are exempt. You got a disability." Which it really never occurred to me that I did have a disability. I was never hospitalized. I took myself for treatment.

So I get the exemption form and give it to the self righteous aid worker and he asks, "Do you really think that you are disabled?" But I won't bite and I tell him I'm fine as long as I take my medication.

I graduate school and a week and a half later I'm working for an HVAC company. Working hard for six bucks an hour and paying taxes and there you have it. THAT'S HOW I WORKED THE SYSTEM!
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >