Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Primitive Alien Life May Exist, Stephen Hawking Says      Home login  
 AUTHOR
Primitive Alien Life May Exist, Stephen Hawking Says Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Dunno about a safe bet but it would be nice if extraterrestrial life was discovered in my little lifetime. Mars, Europa and Titan look the likeliest candidates..
 timenough123
Msg: 5
Primitive Alien Life May Exist, Stephen Hawking Says
Posted: 4/23/2008 4:36:24 PM
And whats up with anal probing?

If these abduction stories are to be believed, aliens have mastered the mysteries of time and space and can cross the vast gulf between the stars, yet they seem fascinated with the human ass.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2008 5:10:16 PM

"We don't appear to have been visited by aliens," Hawking said, adding that he discounts reports of UFOs. "Why would they only appear to cranks and weirdoes?"
Maybe they find cranks and weirdos as being smarter than world-renowned physicists?

Contradiction #1:
"We live in a society that is increasingly governed by science and technology," Hawking said.
That means more jobs in government have to be run by scientists, and given how hard it is to get a good job these days, that means more and more people will be doing a job in science.
"Yet fewer and fewer people want to go into science."
That means less and less people will be doing a job in science. This doesn't have to be a contradiction, provided that people have options for other jobs, such as in a positive economy. But we aren't in a positive economy. Hawking has a degree. If he is really that intelligent, he wouldn't comment on employment situations without considering the effects of the economy on employment in scientific jobs.

Contradiction #2:
Sending astronauts back to the moon, establishing a lunar base with a clear target of going on to Mars would do much to restore the public's support for spaceflight, he added.
Obviously, if we are going to spend any time in space travel in the next million years, some of it will be in new planets, and some in previously-visited planets. Either this is an extremely trite and trivial statement, which would be insulting to make, or Hawking must be suggesting that we should choose to travel to previously-visited places in outer space BEFORE we try out new locations. That means going back to the moon, where we have been before.
"If the human race is to continue for another million years we will have to boldly go where no one has gone before," Hawking said.
That means going to places where we haven't been before FIRST before we return to where we have been before. Again, one questions if Hawking is considering the ramifications of his statements, and the other considerations that are outside the field of his speciality.

I humbly suggest that Hawking would be better suited to sticking to fields in which he has focussed his massive intelligence: theoretical cosmology and quantum gravity.

Personally, if I was an alien, I would find someone who was savvy enough to never give my outer space origin away, or who would not be believed. Given that Hawking hasn't spotted the contradictions in his own statements, I don't think he's got the street smarts to not give someone away, and his notoriety as a scientist would make him too conspicuous and believable.

Besides, I would want someone to have an intelligent conversation with. If I had the ability to travel across stars or even galaxies, then I would think of theoretical cosmology, quantum gravity and the invariance of the speed of light, as child's play, the way we think of the Earth going round the Sun, before we got smart enough to know different. I would rather discuss things that would be new and interesting to me, such as human behaviour. That is something that crank and a weirdo might show me. But not an academic stuck in his ivory tower.

So I personally can understand why aliens would rather NOT talk to Hawking, than talk to him. He's just not smart enough to make interstellar travel a reality, and therefore the aliens would be so smarter than him to be like humans talking to little babies.
 abelian
Msg: 7
Posted: 4/23/2008 5:36:03 PM

His ideas are interesting, but I don't agree with his bleak arguments about people rejecting science. What is more accurate is more science will be done in developing countries, such as India, China, and elsewhere.

I've seen surveys which indicate that more than half of the adults in the U.S. (1) don't believe evolution is correct, (2) believe that humans and dinosaurs were living on the earth at the same time, (3) don't know that our sun is a star and a number of other things that everyone ought to know by the time he/she is a teenager. Hawking is probably optimistic.
 FrogO_Oeyes
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2008 8:37:41 PM

Given that Hawking hasn't spotted the contradictions in his own statements,

There's no contradiction. The moon and Mars are suggested not because they are priorities for exploration, but because they are stepping stones. Even at comparatively low speeds, the moon can be reached in a couple days. It is close enough to be easily managed from Earth, have rotating crews, receive supplies and equipment...but it has the advantage of lower gravity and no atmosphere. Those characteristics make it an ideal stepping stone to the stars. By establishing a moon base, much of the machinery required for interstellar travel can be manufactured where it will be far easier to construct AND launch.

Similarly, Mars is further from the sun, and offers a slightly better launchpad out of the solar system. With an Earthlike size and intermediate gravity, it's a useful model for preparing for extra-solar worlds. It's still close enough to Earth to be in constant contact and regular resupply, and far enough that self-sufficiency is a big concern. If we can't handle it there, dealing with it four light years away or more is unlikely.

So, this is not contradictory. These are generally accepted as necessary steps for meaningful progress beyond the solar system. Right now, we orbit 100 miles up and send robots elsewhere. We have no track record for human progress anywhere that isn't subject to rapid escape back to Earth.
 SomeonetookmySN
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/23/2008 9:47:49 PM
If I were an alien...

I would be doing alot of math. I would imagine that with all this hub-ub of math and such, I would think nut jobs are funny and well worth the trip for comedic value. Also, alot of whackos are into oddball stuff like... art, and music, and well... just oddball stuff. I think Douglas Adams described space life pretty accurately. Then again, I'm a nutjob whacko who likes oddball stuff.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2008 11:43:53 PM

And whats up with anal probing?

If these abduction stories are to be believed, aliens have mastered the mysteries of time and space and can cross the vast gulf between the stars, yet they seem fascinated with the human ass.

LOL, I know. You would think with all of their super advance technolgy they could come up with something a lot more advance then to anal prob a human .
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2008 11:48:48 PM

"E.T. Announces Stephen Hawking May Exist."
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 12
Posted: 4/25/2008 12:26:13 AM
Hawkings and Sagan were cabal government shills. If they ever went public with what they really knew, their funds would dry up like the Sahara in a New York minute. At least Sagan fessed up before he died.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2008 1:00:37 PM
The way I look at it is that our species rely on exploration for future survival of the human race, just like the humans that laid the ground work down for us 2,000 years ago by exploration to help insure our survival as a race today .
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 14
Posted: 4/25/2008 6:36:23 PM
We'll simply find another world to pollute (most likely Mars) and start the cycle all over again. Any bets how long it takes to see McDonalds on the moon? I think we should fix what we've broken here before even considering it.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2008 7:34:22 PM

And I'm heading for high ground if the water starts to rise.

If you wait that long it'll be too late.
 BLionII
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2008 11:50:07 PM
Why are so many people blasting Steven Hawking. I am sure he had the facts before he came to many of his conclusions. Most conclusions in sciences are not baseless you know
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2008 9:24:58 PM
Steven Hawking doesn't have an extremely high IQ for nothing. From what I have read, the guy has made logical sense in everything he has stated.
 danielmarkjarvis
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/27/2008 4:46:18 PM
what does he consider life to be?,the human species?no wonder he is a retard,it takes two to tango life and non living things otherwise we wouldnt know about the non living things,life is just chemical reactions and that happens on every planet,every star every galaxy,are we really alive seeing that everything we do obays the laws of gravity,i think 50/50.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2008 5:22:55 PM
I would never "blast" Stephen Hawking. I might poke fun at him, but I understand he has an actual sense of humor.

Most of Hawkings' work is theoretical, not factual. His theories and predictions have an annoying way of proving accurate. If he said the Universe was begun by glittering purple butterflies, I'd have to accept that as very likely true.
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/30/2008 9:48:44 PM

But! I will be the first to admit that people who believe the -craziest-, most absurd things also believe that UFOs are otherworldly in origin and that there's a super-secret government sanitizing all information released to the public. So that's not helping.

Does that sound absurd or farfetched to you? If you really want to find out, do what I did. Do your own FOIA request to the feds. Direct it to the Pentagon, the NIA, NSA (and any other alphabet grouping you like) for any an all information in their possession relating, directly or indirectly to extraterrestrial life.

If you do, you'll get (literally) reams of printouts of documents. BUT over 80% of the printed text is blacked out. You tell me what that means? Why would there be a coverup? Jeeez Louise the reasons are obvious.

1. For the first time in human history governments have been confronted with something they simply can NOT control and/or defend themselves against and it's completely understandable from an ego standpoint that they wouldn't want to admit that. Go read "Faded Giant" by Robert Salas and James Klotz. That should raise at least SOME hairs on the back of your neck. It's about a UFO that completely DISABLED about a dozen ICBMs at Minot Air Base. Yes, it's thoroughly documented. As soon as the UFO left, the ICBMs came back online. Go figure. Accept it or not. Who really cares.

2. The technology (simply follow the money on this one). Consider that "they" might just have solutions to our energy problems (zero point energy sources), our weather and pollution problems, our health problems. Do you think for one New York minute that the global oil and/or pharmaceutical corporations who, after all, are the ones that really call the shots, would EVER want that made public?

3. Their mere existence would require a complete re-d0 of practically every existing organized religion so it would shock the world (could be a needed shock IMHO). If you think the dispute between believers in evolution and I.D.ers is heated, can you imagine this one rearing it's head?

So, yes, you can dismiss people who accept the reality of extraterrestrials visiting us as nut cases or worse. But that's ok. We don't really care what you think. Do you really think you've been told the truth by your government? Get real. There was a very famous sighting in England some years ago at the Rendlesham (sp) air base where several guards had investigated a UFO sighting just outside the base (also a nuke facility). Those guards have since come forward with their own story about the sighting. The best the "debunkers" could come up with to explain the lights and craft was that it was a lighthouse off in the distance. Sure. When's the last time you ever heard of a lighthouse moving around....or moving anywhere. It was so completely absurd that it truly insults one's intelligence.
 TheLimey
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2008 8:52:17 PM

---Alien life may well exist in a primitive form somewhere in our corner of the galaxy---

And how would he know?
There simply isnt enough information or evidence either way to make that determination. Hawking is a smart guy but he makes statements like his opinion is the last word on the matter, and he sure as hell isnt Einstein. I think that the media
have over inflated his place and importance in the scientific lexicon because of his disability. I saw a documentary on Hawking and that seemed to be the general consensus of other physicists.

You seem to be having some difficulty with the word "may"...
 TheLimey
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 5/1/2008 8:54:14 PM
what does he consider life to be?,the human species?no wonder he is a retard,it takes two to tango life and non living things otherwise we wouldnt know about the non living things,life is just chemical reactions and that happens on every planet,every star every galaxy,are we really alive seeing that everything we do obays the laws of gravity,i think 50/50.

If we are to grade (on a curve) Hawking as a retard that makes you look like pond scum..
 AtomicGogol
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2008 9:41:29 PM
They absolutely ripped him a new one on Fox News.... Poor guy. I wonder if he realizes the error of releasing supposedly secret info in such a manner, especially on Fox!!! What're you thinking, Mr. Mitchell?!?!?!!!
 Is too hot
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/28/2008 11:00:05 PM
It didn't take long for the UFO nutjobs to speak up.

Do your own FOIA request to the feds...for any an all information in their possession relating, directly or indirectly to extraterrestrial life. If you do, you'll get (literally) reams of printouts of documents. BUT over 80% of the printed text is blacked out. You tell me what that means? Why would there be a coverup? Jeeez Louise the reasons are obvious.

Yes, the reasons are obvious. The documents must contain the statements, names and personal data of some people involved who have rights of privacy. Who woulda thought? A giant government conspiracy that gives you reams of information that is blacked out! Must be a giant coverup!

For the first time in human history governments have been confronted with something they simply can NOT control and/or defend themselves against and it's completely understandable from an ego standpoint that they wouldn't want to admit that.

Yes, something so overwhelmingly large and independent that they can completely hide it! Imagine vehicles that can outdo any puny little aircraft or missile in our arsenals yet these invaders allow themselves to be hidden.

Go read "Faded Giant" by Robert Salas and James Klotz. ...It's about a UFO that completely DISABLED about a dozen ICBMs at Minot Air Base. Yes, it's thoroughly documented. As soon as the UFO left, the ICBMs came back online. Go figure. Accept it or not. Who really cares.

And these things are being hidden by the government? They can do what they want but the government is hiding them? BTW, it's obvious you care whether or not anyone believes this piffle. Go read a physics book.

Consider that "they" might just have solutions to our energy problems (zero point energy sources), our weather and pollution problems, our health problems. Do you think for one New York minute that the global oil and/or pharmaceutical corporations who, after all, are the ones that really call the shots, would EVER want that made public?

But aren't you the one arguing that the technology is so beyond the government that it shatters their egos. Poor little crybabies! Now, you have them in complete control of these technologies to the point that they can control them but are denying us the benefits? Why? Large corporations could easily adapt to manufacturing this stuff instead of pumping oil, making cars, etc. This stuff would outsell anything they're making.

Unfortuately, the only reason you believe in this stuff is that you failed physics in high school. Don't you wish you had paid attention?

Their mere existence would require a complete re-d0 of practically every existing organized religion so it would shock the world (could be a needed shock IMHO). If you think the dispute between believers in evolution and I.D.ers is heated, can you imagine this one rearing it's head?

Wouldn't those evil atheist scientists be all over this? Or do you mean it's only people like you who do the sooper sekret research at these places?

So, yes, you can dismiss people who accept the reality of extraterrestrials visiting us as nut cases or worse.

Done.
 Dpilot1
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/29/2008 12:35:54 PM
It's not primitive life that interestes me. I'm looking for a cure for disease and of course, death. Beam me up.
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2008 5:57:00 PM
Try this link For the Mitchell interview on UK radio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXTXbi_VhJU&feature=related
 gurgly
Msg: 27
Posted: 8/5/2008 11:25:46 PM
"If the human race is to continue for another million years we will have to boldly go where no one has gone before," Hawking said.

Link

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20080422/sc_space/primitivealienlifemayexiststephenhawkingsays

LOL, Hawking slammed anyone that has proclaimed to see a UFO, by calling them cranks and weirdoes.

I find it a bigger problem that he said, "If the human race is to continue for another million years we will have to boldly go where no one has gone before". We, the human race, hain't been 'round for a million years, maybe one-tenth of that. So what's with this "another" million years? We haven't had the first one, how can we have another one?

As for "Primitive Alien Life May Exist, Stephen Hawking Says", I did not need him to know this. Hell, there is primitive alien life right in my neighbourhood. Cars blasting pumped-in music of Latino songs (that went out of style in the eighties?), Tagalogue chicks walking around in pumps, chewing gums, while in their hearts Elvis Presley hums. That's their ideal way of living the American Dream. My son gets beaten up by a gang of Hungarian nationalists every day at school.
 Sky at sunset
Msg: 28
Posted: 8/7/2008 8:18:33 PM
I enjoy reading Stephen Hawkings thoughts - but - how do we know he isn't the alien?
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Primitive Alien Life May Exist, Stephen Hawking Says