Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Friends with...Food      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 that sam i am
Msg: 1
Friends with...FoodPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
With the societal drive towards individuality and autonomy matching up with the proliferation of bulk warehouse stores like Costco, what do you people do with all that food?

So living with parents is bad, and having kids as a single parent is also bad. Having roommates...also not so good. So here we are, all living alone. Buying individual portions negates any benefits of economies of scale. Either that, or we end up eating the same fricking thing for weeks. Sure I could give it to the food bank, but that would completely be stupid cuz I might as well just buy it from a boutique grocer if I wanted less food for the same amount of money.

What I really seek, and I wonder if anyone else has come to the same conclusion, is someone to eat with. Eating alone can be a chore and a bore. What would be cool is a plain and simple, no strings attached, food buddy. Someone you can take turns preparing food with. Someone to split the cost and the food bought in bulk at Costco.

Not a date, not romance, just pure and simple economics. Kinda like a marriage,minus the fighting and drama. Some one to just eat, help wash the dishes and leave. Maybe stick around for a DVD if there's nothing else to do.

Has anyone else come to this same conclusion?
 Murf167
Msg: 2
Friends with...Food
Posted: 4/23/2008 11:25:22 AM
I haven't had time to think about it. I'm trying to find room in my pantry for the rest of this family sized tub of velveeta shells and cheese.
 that sam i am
Msg: 3
Friends with...Food
Posted: 4/23/2008 11:43:45 AM
Ok ok the clincher is that both parties have to live in separate houses so as not to inadvertently end up married by accident.
 that sam i am
Msg: 4
Friends with...Food
Posted: 4/23/2008 12:03:34 PM
Well Lois, if you didn't live so far away, I'd join that group.
So what do the rest of you single people do with all that food?
Everyone needs food right?

Friends are cool but it'd be good to always have someone to share food costs with. Do the rest of the single males exist on pizza and takeout food?
 cncgandolf
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Friends with...Food
Posted: 4/23/2008 12:25:50 PM
My sister shops at Costco so I ride with her sometimes. At times she makes a box of half of what she bought and gives it to me for me and/or my sober home. I don't see how this saves her money but I am learning to accept things.

Me? I didn't find it economical even when I did have kids at home. hhehehehehe. I'm an excellent shopper and can do economy better at my local grocer and Trader Joes. Costco as an economy store is often a dupe.

However, not for economy but event appreciation, I have a girl friend whose husband is not "into" dining events. No fun to cook for. So, every other month she hosts a party for several of us female friends (sorry no guys). We buy the food and she does the decorating and preparation. Gormet and splendor. Most fun.

Just my experience.

Gandi
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Friends with...Food
Posted: 4/23/2008 6:07:57 PM
Why just food?

48 packs of toilet paper, paper towels, soap

gallons of laundry detergent, condiments, toothpaste, shaving cream, shampoo...

Ya - firing up the barbecue or oven for just one all the time seems wasteful.

And movies (DVDs ) are always good shared.

And separate domiciles is definitely they way to go too.

Gee... That Sam always has the best ideas
 sherilyn70
Msg: 7
Friends with...Food
Posted: 4/23/2008 7:41:40 PM
I'm single and I shop once a month at Sam's. There are lots of things I can buy in bulk that will last or that I will go through fast enough. The staples I keep on hand from there are eggs, half and half, butter, sour cream, roast beef, black forest ham, cheddar, pepperoni, canned chicken, hormel bacon crumbles and fresh boneless skinless chicken breasts (now that tyson makes individually wrapped 4oz portions). I get my mushrooms, peppers, asparagus and spinach there since I always go through those fast enough before they go bad. I also buy things like my blue-emu ointment and my atkins shakes and nutrition bars. I've done the math, even with the $40 membership fee I save a lot more than that in just one trip than if I were to go to the regular stores for the same items. Then there are the things like holiday dinners where I save on the Christmas ham or the 4th of July ribs and pork roasts.

I cook for one every night, it's healthier that way. If I eat processed junk from the store instead of cooking then all I never feel healthy. I am losing weight consistently even though I shop at a bulk warehouse.
 Captain Incognito
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Friends with...Food
Posted: 4/24/2008 1:32:19 PM
I cook every other night and with some of my meals I get one or two portions left over. I just freeze them, then with the other ones I have left over, I can alternate what I'm eating. Good for lunches, or nights I'm too tired/lazy/busy to cook.

Also, recently moving out on my own, I'm still learning how to shop for one person. Getting better at cooking in smaller portions though. I do find some meals don't turn out unless you make full batches though. (Which is where I'm getting 2-3 servings from)
 lucky777s
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Friends with...Food
Posted: 4/24/2008 3:13:58 PM
I think you said it yourself. FRIENDS WITH FOOD. Before I recently moved I had a female friend and we shared food about two times a week. It was nothing we ever planned it was just the way it worked out. Either she would call me up during the day or soon after my scheduled time to get off work and ask me if I was into having dinner with her and visa versa. It was pretty cool becuse I cooked dishes she didnt know how to cook. And she cooked dishes I would have never dreamed of cooking...Let say it was always a feast, not to mention alot of fun...Sometimes I might even sleep on her couch if we happened to have had anything to drink. Being as I dont drink and drive that too was pretty cool. What I am saying is a freind is a friend and friends are supposed to help each other. Good friends do this regardless to sex. And without expectations. Surprise one of your friends and invite them over for dinner sometime durng the week I am sure they will be glad that they dont have to cook. And will probably sooner or later feel like its thier turn to treat you.....
 Miss W
Msg: 10
Friends with...Food
Posted: 4/24/2008 4:23:58 PM
I personally love to cook and can see the OP's perspective as I'm increasingly not wanting to do it just for myself. I also do not currently have a dishwasher or indentured servitude to help me with the dishes. I've shared food with room mates in the past, but not my current one as I'm trying to replace him with a less slovenly model.

When I shop at Costco, I avoid the bulk most of the time with a few exceptions, such as canned tomatoes, which have a long shelf life and a multitude of uses. Another option is to join a dinner club. I used to belong to one that used to meet once a month. We would take turns hosting, menu planning, and shopping. In fact, I hope to join another one once my place is entertainment worthy.
 beehearnow
Msg: 11
Friends with...Food
Posted: 4/24/2008 4:30:31 PM
it could be a very enjoyable arrangement...
 that sam i am
Msg: 12
Friends with...Food
Posted: 4/24/2008 11:34:22 PM
I'm in Vancouver, not NY. Our food Co-ops seem to be like supermarkets but smaller.
 that sam i am
Msg: 13
Friends with...Food
Posted: 4/25/2008 7:58:43 AM
Good point ndulj,
but we all have to eat...some everyday. Heck! I like to eat a few times a day. Sex in comparison is a fairly recreational activity that one can indulge in time to time.
 that sam i am
Msg: 14
Friends with...Food
Posted: 4/25/2008 12:19:23 PM
Very Funny, Lois.
No, I prefer not to eat alone but I also like being able to use up my food faster so that I'm not stuck eating the same damn thing every single day. Eating to me, is a social activity.

Shopping and splitting the groceries works too. I do that time to time but it's hard to agree on what to get. Though 1kg of Parmigiano Reggiano at Costco is awesome.

Ndulj,
Yes, fancy dining is indulgent (I get the pun in your name) but sex compared to food? Pshh food wins every time for me. I'd be big as a house if it wasn't for my mad metabolic rate.

BeerShark,
I have a lot of free time. Well, most of my job is spent on the road driving from client to client. What food bank thing? I don't think I qualify for the food bank :( Oh you mean donate to the food bank? Pshh whatever! I'm looking to spend LESS money, not MORE.
 that sam i am
Msg: 15
Friends with...Food
Posted: 5/14/2008 9:50:53 AM
Real Relationships are a lot of drama with the potential for hurt and financial loss. This is just enjoying a meal together. The worst that could happen is a bad case of food poisoning.

Too many Americans treat food as something you shove down your gullet rather than an experience to be savoured and cherished.
 TheEmeraldTeardrop
Msg: 16
Friends with...Food
Posted: 5/14/2008 10:40:16 AM
I guess you'd have to find someone close by who can cook as well as you do and find a way to keep it equitable.

Unfortunately not everyone can cook at the same level and not everyone out there is looking for a fair deal. And I would wager many would see it as an opening to try to get into a relationship.

I think it's a great idea, but it would need people in probably unique circumstances to pull it off well.

The core dilemma is two people of the opposite sex have to be able to be true friends for this to work. And I think it's extremely difficult for men and women to find true friendship with one another without one side harboring some kind of feelings.

I think a group of 4 would work infinitely better than a group of 2.
 expat57
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Friends with...Food
Posted: 5/14/2008 11:26:22 AM
I have a food buddy!
A lady friend with common conversational interests and I shop together and have our evening meal together several times a week. We always set a nice table, choose wine, make a 'real' meal. It keeps the single-lonelies away .. requires that we choose actual 'food' and not something quick and easy but of poor nutritional value. Works for us because we have nearly identical food preferences. It's a friendship thing. Nothing more. It's known we do dinner together so other lady-friends often drop by after mealtime for a bit of friendly conversation and to help finish the bottle of wine.
We thought it was a good idea.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 18
Friends with...Food
Posted: 5/14/2008 11:34:58 AM
I'd love for someone to bring me a container with extra from cooking, and leave it and go home. That would be cool! Then I can eat alone, I don't have to cook and watch what I want and not have to ask them if I can get them anything - and they can feel good that the food didn't go to waste. Ahahaha
 867love
Msg: 19
Friends with...Food
Posted: 5/14/2008 11:52:36 AM
who actually buys anything at costco -(other than tires and tv sets) -go for the samples, stay for the hotdogs...
 that sam i am
Msg: 20
Friends with...Food
Posted: 5/21/2008 7:42:47 PM
Costco Rocks! Heck Yes...
Don't the rest of you find that eating alone sucks? It's just not as fun.
Meals are meant to be an event to share and enjoy..not stuffing your face while driving.

Eating together means that you're less likely to skip meals, or overeat. No one wants to look like a pig.
 chrylann
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Friends with...Food
Posted: 5/21/2008 7:51:49 PM
So, your place tomorrow for dinner, and mine Friday?
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 22
Friends with...Food
Posted: 5/22/2008 4:48:05 AM

Don't the rest of you find that eating alone sucks? It's just not as fun.

I never associated food with being in the company of others. It's a totally separate thing...sometimes they both happen at the same time, but I never found eating with or without others to be any different. Food is food, no matter how many people are at the table.
 that sam i am
Msg: 23
Friends with...Food
Posted: 6/14/2008 7:12:58 AM

I never associated food with being in the company of others. It's a totally separate thing...sometimes they both happen at the same time, but I never found eating with or without others to be any different. Food is food, no matter how many people are at the table.

That's the biggest problem with the individualistic North American culture. Even so called "family meals" these days involves family members cooking their own separate meals and then sitting at the table for a brief period. There's no sense of togetherness in the preparation of the meals and no good old fashioned made from scratch goodness.

It didn't use to be that way. Once upon a time, people cared about their food. They got it from farmers instead of giant supermarkets which in turn buy their foods from industrial scale food factories.

Look at the ads on TV. Oooh pop it into the Microwave and BAM it's done in 5mins. That's not FOOD. That's food-like substances cooked up in a science lab and brought to our tables masquerading as food. Food used to be something grown in the farm and still resembles a plant or animal by the time you bring it home. Chicken nuggets isn't food. Processed Cheese isn't cheese. What is with fruit rollups? Real Fruit isn't good enough any more?

North America has turned into a continent both overfed and undernourished. Food has been processed to the point where it barely has any nutrients left. To solve that, scientists simply add the nutrients in; not quite knowing what they really took out in the first place. Cereal...has iron fillings added in - just so that they can say that your cornflakes has added minerals.

I could spend hours defending food...but I don't have to. People just prefer to go back to their bovine ways and graze contentedly on their food-like products and find ways to cope with once rare diseases like Diabetes and Obesity.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 24
Friends with...Food
Posted: 6/14/2008 7:44:25 AM
Since you quoted me, I'll respond to this.

That's the biggest problem with the individualistic North American culture. Even so called "family meals" these days involves family members cooking their own separate meals and then sitting at the table for a brief period. There's no sense of togetherness in the preparation of the meals and no good old fashioned made from scratch goodness.

I try to make from scratch when I can and I eat healthy most of the time...who's there or not doesn't make the meal any more or less enjoyable, or healthy. Since I live in New England, there are farmers locally, tons of fruitstands, actual fresh fish and I have a ton of friends who grow stuff in their yards, so I don't depend on the market for everything - however the markets here do sell local farmed products as well.

It didn't use to be that way. Once upon a time, people cared about their food. They got it from farmers instead of giant supermarkets which in turn buy their foods from industrial scale food factories.

Yeah, luckily for this area, none of that's really changed.

Look at the ads on TV. Oooh pop it into the Microwave and BAM it's done in 5mins. That's not FOOD. That's food-like substances cooked up in a science lab and brought to our tables masquerading as food. Food used to be something grown in the farm and still resembles a plant or animal by the time you bring it home. Chicken nuggets isn't food. Processed Cheese isn't cheese. What is with fruit rollups? Real Fruit isn't good enough any more?

I agree...hey just cause I live alone and like my own company and even might have a hectic life at times doesn't mean I eat crap...far from it. I also get plenty of exercise, and a good nights sleep...I was an athlete most of my childhood, so that's what I know.

North America has turned into a continent both overfed and undernourished. Food has been processed to the point where it barely has any nutrients left. To solve that, scientists simply add the nutrients in; not quite knowing what they really took out in the first place. Cereal...has iron fillings added in - just so that they can say that your cornflakes has added minerals.

I agree wholeheartedly with this too...I mostly eat steel cut oatmeal for breakfast, so I wouldn't know what's in cereal these days (tho I do have a dry cheerios munching habit at times).

I could spend hours defending food...but I don't have to. People just prefer to go back to their bovine ways and graze contentedly on their food-like products and find ways to cope with once rare diseases like Diabetes and Obesity.

No argument outta me there either.
 daynadaze
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Friends with...Food
Posted: 6/14/2008 12:16:45 PM
I find cooking for two to leave a big leftover waste also, so I think you are thinking too small, you need to form a large group so that you only end up with maybe enough leftovers to last a night or two, and something you can freeze so it's not the 3 nights in a row leftover thingie. Also you can share the membership cost by only half of you actually buying it and the other half going as guests of the members.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Friends with...Food