Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Friends with...Food      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 that sam i am
Msg: 23
Friends with...FoodPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

I never associated food with being in the company of others. It's a totally separate thing...sometimes they both happen at the same time, but I never found eating with or without others to be any different. Food is food, no matter how many people are at the table.

That's the biggest problem with the individualistic North American culture. Even so called "family meals" these days involves family members cooking their own separate meals and then sitting at the table for a brief period. There's no sense of togetherness in the preparation of the meals and no good old fashioned made from scratch goodness.

It didn't use to be that way. Once upon a time, people cared about their food. They got it from farmers instead of giant supermarkets which in turn buy their foods from industrial scale food factories.

Look at the ads on TV. Oooh pop it into the Microwave and BAM it's done in 5mins. That's not FOOD. That's food-like substances cooked up in a science lab and brought to our tables masquerading as food. Food used to be something grown in the farm and still resembles a plant or animal by the time you bring it home. Chicken nuggets isn't food. Processed Cheese isn't cheese. What is with fruit rollups? Real Fruit isn't good enough any more?

North America has turned into a continent both overfed and undernourished. Food has been processed to the point where it barely has any nutrients left. To solve that, scientists simply add the nutrients in; not quite knowing what they really took out in the first place. Cereal...has iron fillings added in - just so that they can say that your cornflakes has added minerals.

I could spend hours defending food...but I don't have to. People just prefer to go back to their bovine ways and graze contentedly on their food-like products and find ways to cope with once rare diseases like Diabetes and Obesity.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 24
Friends with...Food
Posted: 6/14/2008 7:44:25 AM
Since you quoted me, I'll respond to this.

That's the biggest problem with the individualistic North American culture. Even so called "family meals" these days involves family members cooking their own separate meals and then sitting at the table for a brief period. There's no sense of togetherness in the preparation of the meals and no good old fashioned made from scratch goodness.

I try to make from scratch when I can and I eat healthy most of the time...who's there or not doesn't make the meal any more or less enjoyable, or healthy. Since I live in New England, there are farmers locally, tons of fruitstands, actual fresh fish and I have a ton of friends who grow stuff in their yards, so I don't depend on the market for everything - however the markets here do sell local farmed products as well.

It didn't use to be that way. Once upon a time, people cared about their food. They got it from farmers instead of giant supermarkets which in turn buy their foods from industrial scale food factories.

Yeah, luckily for this area, none of that's really changed.

Look at the ads on TV. Oooh pop it into the Microwave and BAM it's done in 5mins. That's not FOOD. That's food-like substances cooked up in a science lab and brought to our tables masquerading as food. Food used to be something grown in the farm and still resembles a plant or animal by the time you bring it home. Chicken nuggets isn't food. Processed Cheese isn't cheese. What is with fruit rollups? Real Fruit isn't good enough any more?

I agree...hey just cause I live alone and like my own company and even might have a hectic life at times doesn't mean I eat crap...far from it. I also get plenty of exercise, and a good nights sleep...I was an athlete most of my childhood, so that's what I know.

North America has turned into a continent both overfed and undernourished. Food has been processed to the point where it barely has any nutrients left. To solve that, scientists simply add the nutrients in; not quite knowing what they really took out in the first place. Cereal...has iron fillings added in - just so that they can say that your cornflakes has added minerals.

I agree wholeheartedly with this too...I mostly eat steel cut oatmeal for breakfast, so I wouldn't know what's in cereal these days (tho I do have a dry cheerios munching habit at times).

I could spend hours defending food...but I don't have to. People just prefer to go back to their bovine ways and graze contentedly on their food-like products and find ways to cope with once rare diseases like Diabetes and Obesity.

No argument outta me there either.
 daynadaze
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Friends with...Food
Posted: 6/14/2008 12:16:45 PM
I find cooking for two to leave a big leftover waste also, so I think you are thinking too small, you need to form a large group so that you only end up with maybe enough leftovers to last a night or two, and something you can freeze so it's not the 3 nights in a row leftover thingie. Also you can share the membership cost by only half of you actually buying it and the other half going as guests of the members.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Friends with...Food