Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 14
How long can the earth, or mankind last ?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I give it 50 years at the outside UNLESS mankind makes a major stop and U-turn. We're all headed off a cliff. Many realize it's there and are desperately trying to put on the brakes but it will take a concerted effort - unanimity. I don't think the human race is capable of that. Our government isn't capable of that. World governments aren't capable of that. But world governments have historically gotten it wrong. Our government has gotten it wrong and they won't change themselves. So who will? If mother nature doesn't get us (and she has every right to), the human race will. Put it this way - I'm not buying any really long term subscriptions.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 15
view profile
History
How long can the earth, or mankind last ?
Posted: 7/5/2009 7:31:21 AM
With the potential for world conflict, inevitable huge earth quakes, pollution and constant changes in the atmosphere how long can the world last ? Will the earth out live man kind, or vice versa. Will prophesy take over. The earth's inner core is an inferno waiting to come out packed under 25 miles of earth. The potential for nuclear activity and the constant glaciers melting also are a potential change in stability at least for us. Whats your take on this ?

The Earth might last a few million years. Maybe a few billion. I don't exactly know. But JHVM is right, that at some point, the Earth will go the way of all things, and be swallowed up by something else.

Mankind is going to last, until we kill each other off, either by war, or not working together to survive, or until we mutate into something else.

We got to the Moon in 1969, and haven't made much in the way of colonisation of other planets, asteroids, or satellites since. Many imagined that by now, we'd have made enough efforts to build space domes on the Moon at the least, and space stations that we could live on, as well. It seems that we're more interested in having mobile phones. So I don't expect that colonisation is likely to happen for a while, and without that, even if we survive natural disasters, it seems we'll struggle to survive the eventual destruction of life on Earth.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/5/2009 8:57:14 AM
It is truly the height of human arrogance to think that we can "destroy" Earth. Yes, we can do a lot of damage to the biosphere. However, there have been bigger and badder things that have come along over the 4.5 billion years of this planet's history and it's still here. Even the biosphere can recover from huge cataclysms.

Now, as for the species, well, we're doomed. The fact that we are so able to pollute the biosphere and bomb each other out of existence is just another mode of species extinction. All dominant species go extinct.

As a species that is so comparatively intelligent however, we are the first one ever to have a choice. We can continue the way we are, or we can make the effort to leave this little blue ball and move outward into the cosmos. The moment we set foot and stay on another world, we've improved our species' chances for survival many times over.
 chrono1985
Msg: 17
Posted: 7/5/2009 9:24:34 AM
I think we'll last a long time (in cosmological terms). Though the next couple hundred years will probably be similar to the world in Earth by David Brinn. Animal and plant life preserved in special zoos that are only aptly described as arks, which provide jobs to large amounts of the population in maintaining the conditions inside those arks. Powerful glasses to shield against increased UV radiation from the breakdown of the ozone layer, along with heavy cloths to protect our skin and internal organs. Large scale destruction caused by increased electrical charge in the atmosphere, storms of the likes we very rarely see now become common under such a condition.

But after surviving such a situation we'll only become stronger, and probably evolve to live normally under such conditions. In the long term I think we'll change into some completely unrecognizable form, more suited for varied environments we'll encounter with space travel or even genetic tampering during fetal stages.
 2hi-iq-4u
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/5/2009 4:52:03 PM
The Book of Revelation is Gods Account of how it will all play out just before Jesus comes in the clouds to raise His People to Him.

Actually Mona, it's John's account. It says so right in the title of the [Book of ] "The Revelation of St. John the Divine" Is God a liar, or did he intentionally mistitle the Book to make sure that Satan had his days on earth?

I still have a few of the pens which God wrote the Bible with, and I am selling them on Ebay if you want to buy one.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2009 5:38:32 PM

I find it very annoying that 'somebody' has to inject their religious crap into every single discussion here.
When it's not relevant, just ignore it. I always do. After a while, you kind of tune it out, and you don't even notice those posts. I find it extremely useful, because you get just as many crackpot theory posts as fundie posts. It helps for them too.

FYI, it doesn't help to draw attention to posts, if you want them to disappear. I know it's an extreme example, but I was watching a news critic the other day, and he pointed out how the best way to get lots and lots of serial killers, is to make them the main news item, and to publicise them as much as possible. People feed off attention, good or bad. Starve them of attention, and they soon stop, or they won't post half as much, because they know no-one is reading them.
 CerebralRomantic
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2009 6:05:15 PM
To paraphrase Stephen Hawking, "aggression may at one point have been a survival instinct, but as we have evolved it has ceased to be. If we as a species do not learn to curb our capacity for destruction then we will ultimately destroy ourselves."

Very rough paraphrasing, would definately appreciate if someone could find the original quote, it's from an interview he did as part of a series of scenarios as to how human kind could go extinct.

All the same, he's got it right.

We retain too much of our animal drives to not destroy ourselves.
 2hi-iq-4u
Msg: 21
Posted: 7/5/2009 6:13:03 PM
I actually find it annoying when people choose to discredit a book because of the hype and sensationalism which a few religious zealots attribute to the book. There is such a thing as open-mindedness, and there is also hard-headed obstinance. Mona suggested a book entry which directly addressed the length of the days of mankind. Complaining about other posters who are on-topic, is most definitely "off topic."
I didn't see some complainers actually address the topic. To me, the New Testament of the Bible contains a philosophy, not a religion, IMHO. One of the central characters, a dude named Jesus, preaches against religion and the religious, and for dramatic effect, invokes God against them. In my philosophy, we are free to sell pens to people who believe that God wrote the Bible. I enjoy the words of PT Barnum, another great Philosopher: "There is a sucker born every minute"
 Bluesman2008
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/6/2009 1:58:14 AM

To paraphrase Stephen Hawking, "aggression may at one point have been a survival instinct, but as we have evolved it has ceased to be. If we as a species do not learn to curb our capacity for destruction then we will ultimately destroy ourselves."

Steve and I are in complete agreement. In fact. I think I said that.
 no_excuses_please
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/6/2009 8:45:46 AM
Earth?
Another few billion years.
Mankind?
MAYBE a few hundred years more.
MAYBE.
 scorpiomover
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2009 4:57:08 AM
RE Msg: 26 by CerebralRomantic:
Everything can be dangerous if carried too far.

We retain too much of our animal drives to not destroy ourselves.
Even animals stop using the aggressive instinct at some points. An example is that the Alpha male and Alpha female pair in a wolf pack will allow another pair of wolves to mate and bear a litter of wolf babies, when food is plentiful. Another is that most animals don't kill for sport all that often, just for food, and for protecting themselves and their pack from threats from others.

It's amazing that for a species that claims to have evolved from animals, that we don't learn to be more like them.
 2hi-iq-4u
Msg: 27
Posted: 7/10/2009 2:59:09 PM
^^

At least your theory gives a little more time than many global warming advocates.
 vapeninsula
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2009 6:44:50 PM

I find it very annoying that 'somebody' has to inject their religious crap into every single discussion here. Geez...give it a rest! This is the 'science/philosophy' forum...not bible study class or the religion forum. I believe that any talk of god or religion is off topic in this forum according to these definitions.
---> Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems concerning matters such as existence, knowledge, truth, beauty, law, justice, validity, mind, and language. Philosophy is distinguished from other ways of addressing these questions (such as mysticism or mythology) by its critical, generally systematic approach and its reliance on reasoned argument. The word is of Greek origin: φιλοσοφία, philosophía, "love of wisdom".

---> Science (from the Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge") refers to any systematic knowledge-base or prescriptive practice that is capable of resulting in a prediction or predictable type of outcome. In its more restricted contemporary sense, science refers to a system of acquiring knowledge based on scientific method, and to the organized body of knowledge gained through such research.
To the topic at hand, I'm quite sure the planet will survive until it is swallowed up by the sun. As for humans, in the long term, if we dedicate enough resources to the most important endeavor, which to my mind is space exploration, there's no reason to think that mankind can't survive well beyond the expiration of Earth...in some form.

You just demonstrated your own ignorance with you own post. Religion is philosophical. Since you obviously haven't read the Bible, you wouldn't know how much wisdom, and expression of love for wisdom it contains. BTW, she can discuss her religious beliefs in here if she wants to.
 membrane
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/10/2009 9:35:35 PM
i read the hole thread before i desided to repley....

and i have found the answer allready was said, all the answers, you all talked about it... an infanate end of possiblitys

3 stick out in my head the most, 1 from a skynight i believe... the one shot opertunitie.... i know exsaclty what your talking about... i read a book called the short history of progress... and in the book it made mention to another book, called the world is easter island.. and in the book it relates easter island to the world by what mankinds nature is to it... the story of easter island is that a tribe went ther from the mainland, and at the time so said soil samples that it was a eden, many plants and animals of all sorts, then man arrived, and created a tridtion of making faces to honour past kings... each head bigger and better than the rest, using all the wood and resources until there where none left, unable to build boat to sail back to the mainland wich could be seen by the naked eye and eventulally witherd out and died... and in a sence that is us right now and the world

another that stands out is by a ... too high iq for you... witty i must say, yeah ive heard about what you say ass well, im not sure of the cause, planet x, solar flar, global displacency, or just us killing us, there will be survivors, as few as 10 000 like you said... we are like rats, we know how to surivive... for the most part... but i dissagree with your statment with you saying that there might be more survivors due to our levle of technology... in my personal opinion... i think when the shit hits the fan, no electronical device would save us, i belive those that will be left will be the ones living of th land in the first place, africans, aboriganas, and soo forth... just emagion for a moment, being in a semi large city, and the power goes off... emagion for a moment, no light, no running water, no 911... first three days might be ok, cause of confusion, but by the dawn of the forth.. mass mayhem, people will need food and water, when there will be none... emagion the devastaion

and 3rd.. by a ceoil i believe... earth globe... interestig, i have never heard that fraze before... im going to ponder that before i sleep tonight... i really like that, but like you said, americains. but you forget, we canadians are soo cleen as you might think... chinese, and soo on.... we have reached past max for a sustainable society... we are taxing the earth to its max potental, mother earth will wipe us clean of her if thats what it comes down to, but... at the same time, i belive we can change.... or atleast i want to have hope... even thought we are a brutal devastaing beast in the world, we can at the same time be the most loving caring assisting entity on this lovly green planet, the problem is loss of balence.. we do more harm than good, shure we push a beached wale back into the sea, but at the same time... we choked a hole herd out in a oil spill...

i dont know

love to all
 2hi-iq-4u
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/10/2009 10:05:52 PM

... but i dissagree with your statment with you saying that there might be more survivors due to our levle of technology... in my personal opinion...

I only said it might. It really depend on how much poop hits the rotating blades, but your opinion is certainly in the range of possibilities, and I can't outright dispute it.
 membrane
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/11/2009 4:33:49 PM
hhahaha, good one, "how much poop hits the rotating blades"... i like that, i dident mean to argue with you, i mean life is all about perspective and opinion, and each is entitled to thier own, that is mine, and the other was yours, none maybe be right nor wrong... just ideas, but as the same, i shouldent dispute you either... i can tell you are quite an educated inavidual, and you know what your talking about for the most part, but then again, we all all human no?
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >