Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > "Whatever Happens Happens"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Dumpling-Girl
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Whatever Happens HappensPage 6 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
In this context, I could see how a horny boy only interested in one thing would interpret that as "if things go well, I'll go with the flow and let us go all the way." Doesn't surprise me at all. I don't think I could say that phrase without realizing there might be some innuendo in it for a guy. It's all that training in grade 7 when no matter what one said, people twisted it into a sexual innuendo, so you can get to be quite good at avoiding anything that might be suggestive. I agree that it shouldn't have to mean necessarily sex, and can mean something in terms of an emotional connection, but unfortunately, if someone is interested in sex, that's what they're going to think you mean.
 f.r.i.e.n.d
Msg: 127
Whatever Happens Happens
Posted: 4/28/2008 11:25:42 AM
It's a matter of being acceptance or rejection(visa versa) and dealing with whatever happens. It's all up to you to make the right choices.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 128
Whatever Happens Happens
Posted: 4/29/2008 8:07:24 AM

It's all that training in grade 7 when no matter what one said, people twisted it into a sexual innuendo, so you can get to be quite good at avoiding anything that might be suggestive.

Bummer...I never got that grade 7 stuff, I feel like I got gipped! Then again that was almost 30 years ago, so I guess school was different then.
 actualized
Msg: 129
Whatever Happens Happens
Posted: 4/29/2008 8:25:03 AM
whatever happens, happens is a cop-out way of a woman to say she wants sex provided things go smoothly. she already wants it but as a woman, she has to find some extra little reason to feel comfortable with herself. when uttered in this manner she doesn't feel cheap by making it clear she wants sex.

i know this from first hand experience.
 Just a Country Girl...
Msg: 130
Whatever Happens Happens
Posted: 4/29/2008 8:41:07 AM
I don't know about y'all but when I say "whatever happens happens" I do NOT mean it in a sexual context. I mean it as let's get together and see if we like each other, get to know each other, and decide if we want to date or pursue a friendship. In every day life, whenever I use that term, to me at least, it means take life one day at a time and just go with the flow. It has nothing to do with sex to me. OP is right - this phrase can be interrupted SO many different ways. So, I guess the best thing to do is make sure you and your potential date are on the same page before you fling this phrase around. Just my opinion...
 luvablekitten
Msg: 131
Whatever Happens Happens
Posted: 4/29/2008 9:10:47 AM
Whatever means whatever. Anything and everything is possible, and certainly that includes sex, if it happens. If I didn't want to have sex with a person, I wouldn't use those words. Two people go out. They're having a great time. They have a few drinks. One thing leads to another, and bam. Sex happens. It doesn't have to happen, because whatever happens can also not happen, but certainly it's a possibility. There's a big difference between "lets just meet somewhere and see if there's any chemistry between us" and "Let's just have a few drinks, and whatever happens happens" If, a man said that to me, and that wasn't my intention, I would clarify that before the date began. "You know, Let's just hang out a little and see if there's any chemistry between us." Sorry, I'm female, and that's exactly what it means to me, and it's certainly what it means to a man.
 wondering1980
Msg: 132
Whatever Happens Happens
Posted: 4/29/2008 10:26:04 AM
the phrase genially means anything is possible so go prepared for a variety of things that could happen
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 133
Whatever Happens Happens
Posted: 4/29/2008 11:30:06 AM

the phrase genially means anything is possible so go prepared for a variety of things that could happen

I agree that if we like each other and want to explore possibilities, this is pretty much on the money. If we're BOTH not sure we're interested yet, tho - what else could that mean?
 davidsauvignon
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Whatever Happens Happens
Posted: 4/29/2008 12:06:44 PM
^^^ "If we're BOTH not sure we're interested yet, tho - what else could that mean?"

That it's at least the teeniest tiniest remotest possibility that "whatever" could happen depending on what happens (how it goes). Without clear definition as to what the "whatever" is or is not, nothing is excluded.

JMO

~ds~
 tigerlily1
Msg: 135
Whatever Happens Happens
Posted: 4/30/2008 1:39:35 AM
I think it is clear that we all mean and interperet the english language so differently that once you undetstand that, a great deal of time and effort needs to go into talking and making sure we understand what the other person is actually saying rather than assuming or guessing..........

such a short phrase seems to mean something different to so many people and as it is one I have been known to use I can see the misinterperation.........
 Golconda
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Whatever Happens Happens
Posted: 4/30/2008 7:16:22 AM

I think it is clear that we all mean and interperet the english language so differently that once you undetstand that, a great deal of time and effort needs to go into talking and making sure we understand what the other person is actually saying rather than assuming or guessing..........

In many cases it is much quicker and kinder to just be direct and honest in your communications. It's really not that difficult to tell someone "It was nice talking with you but I don't feel that we have any potential for a relationship" or even "I'm not attracted to you physically".

Many of the dating problems that women complain about on the forums can be avoided by being direct and honest when communicating to men.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 137
Whatever Happens Happens
Posted: 4/30/2008 7:24:37 AM
^^^The phrase in question was used by me before the meeting, and that was the context it was in. I didn't know I wasn't interested at that point (I suspected, but thought it might have been too judgemental before a meeting to make that decision).

I made it clear before meeting several times that it was only to determine interest and could end up being JUST a beer between two strangers and nothing more. Trust me, once I knew I wasn't attracted and when he asked me about it - I couldn't have been more clear about it - and I told him 8 different ways. The only mistake I see I made (and I did it thinking I was being polite) was not leaving the guy there after about 15 minutes.

In the future, it might be safer to cut things short as soon as I know there's no point, even if that's 10 minutes later - it's pretty clear that staying for the duration sends the wrong message.
 Golconda
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Whatever Happens Happens
Posted: 4/30/2008 7:33:08 AM

I couldn't have been more clear about it - and I told him 8 different ways. The only mistake I see I made (and I did it thinking I was being polite) was not leaving the guy there after about 15 minutes.

If you really did communicate directly and clearly, then the guy is dumber than a brick. You should have excused yourself after 15 minutes if you clearly had no interest. It's much kinder to tell people you aren't interested than it is to keep then hoping and wondering.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 139
Whatever Happens Happens
Posted: 4/30/2008 11:17:21 AM

You should have excused yourself after 15 minutes if you clearly had no interest. It's much kinder to tell people you aren't interested than it is to keep then hoping and wondering.

Point taken. I don't know why I thought it would be nice to continue the rest of the night, I figured the guy would understand that regardless of interest, it's what was planned - I guess I read too many "why don't women give men a decent chance?" threads where it was clear men thought women judged and dismissed too quickly.

It was courtesy on my part, of course - I wasn't going to find out anything that would make much difference early on. So I learned something, that's cool.

From now on, even if it's a 30 minute meeting, I'll leave as soon as I know there's no chance...
 grkboy
Msg: 140
Whatever Happens Happens
Posted: 4/30/2008 12:37:15 PM

Point taken. I don't know why I thought it would be nice to continue the rest of the night, I figured the guy would understand that regardless of interest, it's what was planned - I guess I read too many "why don't women give men a decent chance?" threads where it was clear men thought women judged and dismissed too quickly.

It was courtesy on my part, of course - I wasn't going to find out anything that would make much difference early on. So I learned something, that's cool.

From now on, even if it's a 30 minute meeting, I'll leave as soon as I know there's no chance...

I think too many people believe the first date from someone on a dating site is the possible beginning of a relationship.

I don't have a problem if a woman is into me at one point, but then loses interest the next day...just don't accept a date invitation then from me knowing this will never go anywhere.

I don't have a problem if I'm out on a first date with a girl and she isn't interested shortly after meeting me. This is why I keep first dates with online girls simple. Coffee and chit-chat. The only goal is to see if the real-life chemistry will be the same as the online chemistry.

If she's not feeling it, then I think it's polite to see things til the end of the date...give things a shot. Sometimes the nerves and insecurities set in and you don't feel anything, but when the comfort level comes in, feelings could come in...or at least interest to pursue further.

I think it's silly when people go out on first dates from an online site and expect there to be sparks and fireworks and love in the air. I just go out on the idea of seeing if we have a chemistry and click like that. Too many others go out thinking they might have found someone, but then get frustrated and/or disappointed when they see this person isn't what they hoped or things aren't moving fast enough.

Betty's on the right logic...just go out and keep it simple and friendly. Let things happen naturally if they will and don't be irked or mad if they don't.
 fishbill
Msg: 141
Whatever Happens Happens
Posted: 4/30/2008 5:13:02 PM
"""Thanks so much guys for answering before reading the thread so answers aren't biased and then reading to discuss...so far it's interesting what the responses have been, and it's really a small margin of men that immediately figure it means something sexual...most seem to take it how I meant it.""

No problemo. Nothing in the POF rules say we need to read a thread or know what we are talking about. That's one reason I HAVE ASKED FOR A PLUS, NEUTRAL, MINUS (hot or not) kinda voting thing on each post. Like many other forums.

Otherwise, "whatever happens happens" is "lowbrow talk", I could not find that quote in Bartletts (or Walgreens). It only means something significant to insignificant people, not you of course. That is not a "phrase" I use, I like to use complete sentences, that reference an ongoing conversation between another (It could even be someone that lives in my head, that no one ever sees, except me, but I am still courteous and communicate clearly with that person).
 sanchezzz
Msg: 142
Whatever Happens Happens
Posted: 4/30/2008 5:23:21 PM
I made sure not to read what anyone else had to say before I answered you...It means to me, that there is no way to see what the future holds, so let's go from here and see. It also seems to denote to me that whomever is saying it is not certain about how they feel about you , and that although they may be hopeful, they are probably slightly doubtful.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 143
Whatever Happens Happens
Posted: 5/1/2008 8:26:17 AM

I think too many people believe the first date from someone on a dating site is the possible beginning of a relationship.

I do too - some people seem to sort of "latch" onto certain things as proof they're on the way to not being single much longer. Sort of odd to me, but whatever I guess.

I don't have a problem if a woman is into me at one point, but then loses interest the next day...just don't accept a date invitation then from me knowing this will never go anywhere.

Fair enough. Same here, unless both don't have romantic interest but still are ok with hanging out, but I admit this rarely happens (mutual interest or disinterest).

I don't have a problem if I'm out on a first date with a girl and she isn't interested shortly after meeting me. This is why I keep first dates with online girls simple. Coffee and chit-chat. The only goal is to see if the real-life chemistry will be the same as the online chemistry.

Agreed - I find people tend to be defensive or don't see why I usually keep it short and low key - but it's because I know after 10 minutes someone will probably know they don't want to continue.

If she's not feeling it, then I think it's polite to see things til the end of the date...give things a shot. Sometimes the nerves and insecurities set in and you don't feel anything, but when the comfort level comes in, feelings could come in...or at least interest to pursue further.

I thought it would be less rude, and I can totally hang out with someone as planned whether they like me or not, whether I like them or not, etc.

I think it's silly when people go out on first dates from an online site and expect there to be sparks and fireworks and love in the air. I just go out on the idea of seeing if we have a chemistry and click like that. Too many others go out thinking they might have found someone, but then get frustrated and/or disappointed when they see this person isn't what they hoped or things aren't moving fast enough.

Ain't that the truth. I don't look for fireworks, but I do look for attraction and interest in wanting to know more. If I don't feel that (or they don't) - I just move on.

Betty's on the right logic...just go out and keep it simple and friendly. Let things happen naturally if they will and don't be irked or mad if they don't.

Thanks. I'm usually good with that, it's the people I meet that seem to have a problem with it, but that's cause I don't take disinterest personally - it happens, and will happen often if you plan on "dating" or meeting new people.

I made sure not to read what anyone else had to say before I answered you...It means to me, that there is no way to see what the future holds, so let's go from here and see. It also seems to denote to me that whomever is saying it is not certain about how they feel about you , and that although they may be hopeful, they are probably slightly doubtful.

Sanchezzz, right on the money. Thanks.
 lucilou
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Whatever Happens Happens
Posted: 5/6/2008 3:50:29 PM
What ever happens happens, means when 2 meet in person and there's sparks and attraction, then maybe there will be a second date to know each other well. Doesnt matter who asked who for the second date, if both willing to meet for the second time , then that's probably the beginning or starting to develop a relationaship.
 RaidernDC
Msg: 145
Whatever Happens Happens
Posted: 5/15/2008 10:09:56 PM

In general, to me it means I have no expectations, no demands, nothing.

There it is right there. I have used this phrase a lot and I am sure my single friends use this phrase. This phrase does not assume sex. It doesn't exclude it either. It is basically both people taking things as they come.

The last part about asking for sex after you had already said you weren't interested and then bringing up that you had said whatever happens happens was just game. He probably figured the first no was uncertainty on your part. He was trying to close the deal and wanted to see if he could make you feel guilty about "leading him on."

Now you are very sexy, so if you put the flirt on at all, he probably was a little worked up, which made it harder for him to hear no. That's sounds like a pretty interesting evening.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 146
Whatever Happens Happens
Posted: 5/20/2008 9:07:12 PM
^^^Yeah it was pretty interesting, and I agree at this point that it's got a different meaning for everyone...some guys will hear "dry wall" and think of sex...oh well.

I am QUITE sure he took basic friendliness and politeness for flirting...I know there was no way I gave him any indication I was interested, I tend to talk in disclaimer and I know I was doing that in phone conversations long before we actually met.

I now make sure to e-mail all information to friends before going out...that way if I am raped/killed at least the authorities have some info. But to be safe, I just won't schedule any more night meetings (outside of someone stopping somewhere where I am out with friends already).

I did two things wrong - the night thing and not going with my gut - I had a weird feeling, but thought I was just being too judgemental. Live and learn (even after 40 years)...
 Golconda
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Whatever Happens Happens
Posted: 5/21/2008 12:54:23 PM

...some guys will hear "dry wall" and think of sex...oh well.

It does seem like there are a lot of guys out there that are pretty desperate for sex.
 YingKissesYang
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Whatever Happens Happens
Posted: 5/21/2008 1:24:30 PM
now make sure to e-mail all information to friends before going out...that way if I am raped/killed at least the authorities have some info. But to be safe, I just won't schedule any more night meetings (outside of someone stopping somewhere where I am out with friends already). -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------
Or leave a note on your fridge or under the pillow, so when you get home, just toss it. Or, I suppose your way is fine too, a lot of people tell there friends "I'm going on a date tomorrow with a new person, etc".
 TheDirtyBen
Msg: 149
Whatever Happens Happens
Posted: 11/15/2008 2:22:17 PM
Maybe I'm not like the typical guy? I don't EXPECT sex when going into a date.

Don't get me wrong. It's nice when it happens. And if I'm attracted to the other person, I hope that it happens.

But I don't push for it.

In fact, I think that I probably could have MORE sex if I were assertive about it.

However, I try to gauge the situation and signals. And I'm not always that good at reading smoke signals.

Very, very, very rarely have I used the subject phrase.
Most likely, it would be used if a lot of the pre-meet talks had repeatedly transitioned around sex-talk.
If a woman were to use that phrase, it would tell me that she is not necessarily against having sex, if everything happens right.

BTW, what happened to UglyBetty??
 wildernesskitty
Msg: 150
Women Just As Guilty These Days
Posted: 11/15/2008 5:09:42 PM
That phrase means "open ended". If there's alcohol involved, then it could get .......

Men usually use it to proceed as far as you let them, and count on the alcohol and your loneliness to wear you down. SORRY BOYS, but you are hunters - u know some of u are like this.

Women use it as a vague answer so the men won't "automatically" think they're getting anything.

Solution: eliminate alcohol from 1st and possibly 2nd (GASP) meeting, and make them short, and IN PUBLIC. Honestly, we all enjoy sex, but that phrase is a dangerous one.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > "Whatever Happens Happens"