Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Are accountants really that bad?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Catinka2008
Msg: 9
Are accountants really that bad?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I like accountants - I never understand what the problem is with this group being maligned.
 NY2Chi
Msg: 11
Are accountants really that bad?
Posted: 7/28/2008 9:15:32 PM

Accountants are miserable, boring and unattractive.

What I want to know is who told your friends where I work? I'm kidding. I love my job.
 Ferruginous
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/29/2008 9:05:28 AM
Accounting is certainly not for everyone.
I certainly could not envision myself being happy to do it as a career.

But it depends on the person.
If you feel that type of work would suit you, and you know you would enjoy doing it, then don't listen to other people.
Just because it's a career that many of them would not enjoy doing, doesn't mean that those people are able to tell you what you would enjoy doing for a career.
 Frau Blücher
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/29/2008 5:37:22 PM

Official shanty of the Permanent Assurance Company

I beg to differ. It is the “Crimson Permanent Assurance” and the lyrics are…

It's fun to charter an accountant
And sail the wide accountancy,
To find, explore the funds offshore
And skirt the shoals of bankruptcy!
It can be manly in insurance.
We'll up your premium semi-annually.
It's all tax deductible.
We're fairly incorruptible,
We're sailing on the wide accountancy!

Scribble away and balance the books!

(Sorry, but I am a HUGE Monty Python and Eric Idle fan)

As far as accountancy being filled with boring people, piffle. Another stereotype. I have worked as an accountant before, and the knowledge I gained helped me to forge a greater understanding of business and gives me an edge in my career as a financial analyst in program controls. IMO, boring people are boring; it has nothing to do with your profession.
 btj_rv
Msg: 16
Posted: 7/30/2008 7:28:36 AM
OP, I'd get a mentor during an internship while you are in a formal program. Alot of companies utilize these programs as a recruitment tool providing access to executive management employees. They can provide information into what the day to day job functions are within a particular area in the field. I took accounting courses as part of a curriculum in college and I can say that there are several different specialities within the accounting field. Also after you complete your program you may or may not what to go the accounting route. I'd utilize a mentor and determine if they are boring or not.
 cosmopolitan..
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/30/2008 8:50:14 PM
OP - go for your designation, you will never regret it. I too am a designated accountant, practically all my life and it's an extremely creative, stimulating, lucrative field - I personally love it! Even to this day, I am always learning, constantly new opportunities - and you will be surprised what accountants do for fun.

The field is ever evolving, and allows you the flexibility to move almost anywhere in the world, especially if you end up working for an international company... lots of choices...

Also, at the end of the day, make sure it's something you enjoy, if not it can be very tedious. Also, as you continue to move up in the program, the courses continue to get tougher.. sacrifices will be need to made for a few years.. but than again the rest of the future is yours to do as you please.

And as for days off, well depends how high in your career you want to go, I made the choice to work long hours for several years, but the benefits were incredible and to this day enjoying the fruits. Will I change anything about the choices I made - No. At the end of the day, everything in life has a price, the question is how high a price you are willing to pay for what you want... sometimes the price is hard work, and several years of long hours.

Good luck with your studies.
 yna6
Msg: 20
Posted: 8/7/2008 12:14:39 PM
Accountants always bring bad news it seems. So, they get poked at.
It is just a job.
Curtailing everyones lifestyle invites smarmy comments. Yes, curtailing lifestyles. You tell people what they are allowed to spend, to not overspend, etc, etc. People life far beyond their means in todays age, and accountants know this and try to make clients understand that, and that they have to make cuts in order to get their financial house in order.
Personally, I like accountants. down to earth, good hearted peoplr who are honestly trying to help.
 Reelax
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/22/2008 5:53:07 AM
Hey, we take all your mistakes and put them into nice neat columns.

People think accounting is boring, but to be honest, it's alot more interesting than many jobs. In accounting, you get to see how various companies work and what they do, compared to doing the same thing everyday (factory worker,manual labour, etc) where you just do your job and go home without any sense of betterment. Plus, the accounting field is always changing (example being the move to international accounting standards).

Accountants can be big partiers, at my last firm, we went to Niagara Falls and when the booze came, the party was fun.
 gtomustang
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/25/2017 11:31:40 AM
shoot, my accountant is an ex FBI sniper who's real life sounds like a RenMan post. He's a reminder that smart bad boys aren't the ones who see the inside of a jail cell.

Today on this rainy overcast day, the demonseed is...bureaucrats. I'm stuck between a company that wants a legal document that covers their ass, and a government bureaucrat that declares such paperwork does not exist. And she does it in her usual polite style that says, "if I can't understand what you are asking for, it has to be because you are inept so allow me to treat you like a child."

ah well, time for the end-run around them both. As the nuns used to teach in Catholic school, God may not give you exactly the solution you ask for, but you will get something. And that might require you to re-define what the problem is, just so you can force the solution to fit it.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Are accountants really that bad?