Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Kindredpage
Msg: 173
Have You Ever Been Mentally or Physically Abused by a PartnerPage 7 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

Yes I was once in an abusive relationship.I came close to death several times .I was under his control .I couldnt leave .He was good at psycological warfare. I was a zombie running on autopilot.It was mental sexual and physical abuse. The turning point was when he threatened to kill my kids .I ran to the neighbors busted in their door hid my kids under their beds called the police.
My abuse was hid so well.I couldnt let anyone know I failed my 2nd marrage.I got good at coverin bruises black eyes I had his foot print on my stomach many times.I wore long sleeves . was scared to go out in my yard for fear of explaing to someone who saw me about the bruises.Towards the end the beatings were more often and worse.Id get so Id blank out ,pretend I was in another place.Id smile and bounce around like a rag doll as he beat me cause if I faught back he would draw blood. or worse do it in front of my kids. (remember we couldnt leave there was no help we couldnt leave we'd die)
it was getting rough he was chokingme one night I go in and out of concious.the went for my kids .I dont know where my strength came from but I caught him off guard and faught him like a man.Grabbed my kids ran for help and kept running .We left with nothing but the clothes on our backs and never stopped.
Its been many horrid events some I know I blocked out many too grusome to speak of to an audience were you cant see the compassion in their eyes (on forum instead of in person)many events hard to talk about.
This was 13 years ago.Ive been happily divorced ever since.I had to do alot of counceling along with my kids .The one thing I needed to know was why .I desperately needed to know why.It haunted me for years .I could never heal until I knew why.
I found this book "why does he do this to me"by lundy ????? sorry I made an earlier post of it in the forums I forget who the author is. this book answered all of my questions.I read it and cried it all out .For a couple days all I could do was hold the book and cry.Now my past no longer makes me cry.
Its been 13 years I feel healed .It was my choice to heal .Hes not controling me now.Im happy my kids are happy. Its my choice that he no longer decides my fate or happiness.
Wow, that is hard to read. It's nice to know you and your kids got out and survived. Sorry this type of abuse has to happen to anyone
 daydream angel
Msg: 174
view profile
History
Have You Ever Been Mentally or Physically Abused by a Partner
Posted: 4/11/2009 11:22:23 PM
Thank you Kindredpage its hard to talk about and sometimes seeing my scared body reminds me of a particular moment.However I hope someone experiencing my past gets the help quicker.There is help . You must be discrete when your leaving or preparing to leave its the most dangerous time. Go through your childs school .A guidence councelor has the info you need and resources to help.Its hard to leave you have a fear of having to come back and face him.Your self esteem needs rebuilding. Your kids are suffering more than you can imagine.
A womens shelter can give you a list of things to do to prepare for your uh break out.
They can tell you what to expect and help finnancialy and with protection.
The emotional roller coaster starts and can be overwhelming. You dont need to do it alone. Above all put your kids first .It will guide you and drive you. again get that book "why he does it to me"( I must recheck tittle again too, sorry)
The poster Ive seen realy breaks me down is the one with the bruised up woman with black eyes standing with a casket and roses in background saying"Today he bought her roses .I pictured my family standing next to mine casket many times not knowing about the abuse I suffered.And me knowing they would have helped if only they knew.Its a game of shame and guilt and fear.
My family know s some of it now but it took many years to get it out of me.some days iit flows like a river some days I can hardly speak of it.
 oskyangel
Msg: 175
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2009 12:56:32 AM
Okay let me tell you something ,people wonder why woman stay or men for that matter in an abusive relationship ....

It is due to the fact they wear you down so bad mentally that you start beleiving it ...
Physically because they know that you are scared of them and all they have to do is raise there hand to you and you flinch....
Emotionally you feel that it is somhow your fault and who would want you after wards ....
This is how most abused people feel...I was one of them until 2003 when I met the love of my life .... we are not together any more but for 6 yrs I didn't have to look over my shoulder!!!!! I wasn't treated badly and that opened my eyes for even though we are not together... he showed me that there is more to life than abuse and that for the first time I didn't have to be afaid to live, and for that I will always love him ..So for those of you out there who feel there is no way out. There is you just have to say enough is enough and walk away!!! It may seem hard at first but I had to do it and if I can get out of 12 years of hell to find happiness and my self it was worth it ...
You are better than that!!!! Happiness is waiting go get it !!!
 mostlyhappy
Msg: 176
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2009 1:40:14 AM
I was emotionally and mentally abused by my husband. Little by little I accepted treatment and forgave things I never should have. When it happens very slowly, very subltly, you tell yourself that it's not abuse, that you are just overreacting.
Eventually, your whole personality gets erased. I'm working to recover mine, but it's hard to work through your past whilc trying to build a present and look for a future. Even after you get them out of your life, the issues they created inside you can come up and grab you or cloud your thinking just when you get a great opportunity for the present or for the future. It's such a part of your history that when you're getting to know someone, it will inevitibly come out. I see that a lot of people do not want to deal with anyone with any kind of history.
 Pinkribbonsinthesky
Msg: 178
Posted: 4/12/2009 5:32:24 AM
It takes great courage to stay within an abusive marriage

and

tremendous strength to leave.

The relief and weight lifted from your shoulders when you become "you" again is priceless.

Remember: ALWAYS BE KIND TO YOURSELF...........YOU ARE WORTH IT.

FROM POLOR111...

BEAUTIFUL...
 Zephyr2553
Msg: 179
Posted: 4/12/2009 5:53:38 AM
I have been mentally, emotionally and physically abused by three of my husbands. One mentally and emotionally, the second mentally and emotionally and the third all three....Wow!

My children suffered from my indescretions and still struggle in relationship issues. I've felt deep guilt and shame as a result of it, even though I, myself was a victim.

I love who I am now...a much stronger woman deep in wisdom and much, much more aware of the possibility for that to happen again.

I've received counseling and have read several books on the topic, have come to an understanding of the way people think and behave and am much happier now than I have ever been.

Each man was charming, intelligent, but in street ways, not in true deep wisdom. None of them had a love for God or followed any tenet other than their own manmade one from their own imagination.

I'm now hoping some day to meet a man who is deep and caring, who is aware each and every day of his temporal existance and his need for guidance from an Eternal God. I want a tender man with morals and respect for women. I want a man who respected his parents and his mother and sisters in particular, who loves children and is a provider and protector.

I can and do make it quite well on my own and am a very strong woman, I could physically take a man down now because of the self defense classes I've taken, I am financially stable and surprise myself daily at how many issues in life I handle so very well and God has truly blessed me with an exceptional body.

My best wishes to you and my truest sympathy. Life can and will get better and you will survive, not just survive, but take the past by the horns and make it work for you. Don't remain a victim, be a winner in every respect.
 familygal2
Msg: 181
Posted: 4/12/2009 8:28:35 AM
To add more to my postMy 15 yr old daughter went to his home after the split His son 23 had flirted heavy with her. He already had a girlfreind 16 with a baby16 months old from another guy. They always told new people she was 23. She drank a great deal with them. She was a bad mother . The baby was a burdon when I met the girl.The guys always her offered her pot, drinks . She said all three were so creepy.They If I phoned there to check on her theyd lie that she wasnt there when she was. They took her places I`D NEVER APPROVE OF! Insisted they buy my 14 yr old a prostitute for his birthday. Sick! Always shot at the Canadian geese , beaver, neighbors dog. On Kal lake. Fire cracker thrown into schools of fish. Always threatened with guns.Have many threatening texts saved fro the nephew.In the summer the ex attacked my daughter 15 at the time. She asked him to be polite to us he was fighting with his son oiver a ski boat his son bought. He claimed it was his boat. He always claimed he bought !he owned every! He always wanted power and control! His attack on my daughter was witnessed by a off duty cop and his retired probation wife. they got us to safety. He had huge issues of erectile disfunction and no matter how supportive I was he raged it was my fault.The ex had a huge issue with the sons girlfreind always spoke he had to get rid of the ****!He wanted his son back . The three guys always belittle the girl for weight gain said shes going to look like shit in the summer.The son tried to control her! Like the father did to me .wE AS FEMALES WERE ALL TWO TIMED ON! Neither of us were letting it happen! THE THREE WERE CLUNG TO EACH OTHERS HIP! NO! FEMALE CAME FIRST NO MATTER WHAT !. THEY WOULD DROP FEMALES LIKE A HOT POTATOE IF ONE OF THEM WANTED TO DO SOMETHING ELSE.i NSURANCE SCAMS THEY TRUMPED UP! TO PAY RENT. THE NEPHEWS MOTOR BIKE SCAM.TO SUPPORT A COCAINE DRINKING HABIT. THERE ARE STILL KIDS AROUND THESE GUYS AND ITS A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE ONE KILLS SOME ONE!
 familygal2
Msg: 182
Posted: 4/12/2009 10:27:57 AM
I AM A STRONG INDEPENDANT WOMEN! THERE IS NO MAN OR WOMEN WHO WILL EVER BREAK ME DOWN! I VALUE MYSELF AND OTHERS TOO MUCH! I POST PARTS! THERES ALOT MORE! OF MY ABUSE EXPERIENCE TO SUPPORT PEOPLE WHO ARE CURRENTLY IN A RELATIONSHIP OR COMMEND THE ONES THAT GOT OUT ALIVE! THIS IS A MESSAGE OF YOU CAN GET OUT SAFELY! I`M AFRAID FOR THEIR NEXT VICTIMS! I WAS NEVER AFRAID!!!!! I WILL NEVER STOP TALKING ABOUT THESE PEOPLE IN ORDER TO SAVE ANOTHER. THERE ARE STILL KIDS INVOLVED! THEY ARE NOT SAFE. YES!!!! MINISTRY IS NOTIFIED AS WELL AS RCMP.
 daydream angel
Msg: 183
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2009 12:43:27 PM
Its a long road back to becoming" you" again.Most of the puzzel pieces have been rounded ,parts missing,picture roughed up.
I went through a spell where I played this game of testing your love. "hes mad now , is he gonna hit me or love me his time"sick game ,I know butI did this sabatoging my relationships for years .Not knowing I was doing it.Sometimes the guys would pass the test for a while but eventualy many tierd of the game quick.I did counceling and had to learn to trust in love all over again.
I occasionaly run into a person being abused and believe it or not you can sense the abuse radiating off them.You cant hide it from a fellow former abusee you see the hurt ,pain,shame. You want to grab them and run .Become a hero and save them all.You cant. Them leaving is their choice .They have to make that decission on their own. when your outside lookin in ,it looks like the obvious choice . But inside looking out ,its a scary big step.
You have many calling abuse , crying wolf when they are unfaithful themselves and causing extra tenssion in the relationship. Claiming abuse is the reason. You make the ones realy abused live worse .The athorities have delt with so many women with false claims they dont believe the abusee unless they see blood. or witness it.
 Icey43
Msg: 184
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2009 2:26:12 PM
Yes, and thankfully he was the only one. And I learned from that horrible mistake.
I can see the signs much clearer and quicker now.
I have been single for as long as I have now in part due to the abuse I suffered from the person who was supposed to love, cherish and protect me.
I am very cautious about who I allow into my life.
 MikeM1968
Msg: 185
Posted: 4/12/2009 2:54:15 PM
Hey I stayed with a woman who cheated multiple times and even married her. I still consider what she did to be mentally abusive, however I do know that I was just stupid too. The other emotional abuse came from her after we were married. Why did I stay in it ? Because I had to *make* this relationship *work*. DUH!!

I'm willing to bet many believe they can make things work that they can't and that's why they stay in such crappy situations regardless of gender.

Many think that men don't get victimized by abuse either and that's just not true. It happens, we just don't hear about it all that much. Society (and threads like this - sorry for saying so, but it's true) would have all women fearful of ALL men due to the acts of a few real jerks. It's the old "one bad banana ruins the bunch" attitude. Hopefully many of you realize how unreasonable and unrealistic that way of thinking is.

I wish all of you who were victims the best and hope you learn that not ALL of us are like that.

Mike
 TOMic bomb
Msg: 186
Posted: 4/14/2009 9:12:45 PM
my ex wife would constantly accuse me of looking at women and lusting after them. i didn't like walking on eggshells. but she would imagine all these scenarios with women and belittle me. nothing could be further from the truth. i adored her. it took years for me to stop loving her after the divorce. of course she found a lover from work and was cheating on me. she married him 10 days after our divorce was final. i didn't date for years after ward.
 ZenBeth
Msg: 188
Posted: 4/15/2009 1:04:54 AM
It boggles my mind when I hear of men/women who stayed in abusive relationships. It's like staying where one isn't wanted. And it makes me wonder if they got into the relationship because they didn't think anyone else would want them so they settled for less.

~Beth~
 Call me Ginny
Msg: 189
Posted: 4/15/2009 5:40:01 AM
"You may ask why I didn't leave sooner, but believe me when you're in that kind of relationship it's not that simple. These kind of people, since I've learnt, are very clever, and it is a gradual process of manipulation they weave over you. It's not something that happens straightaway. It is a mind control game to them."

Sweetina, Congratulations on your escape. i understand how hard it is to pull oneself togehter to pull away.

"It is due to the fact they wear you down so bad mentally that you start beleiving it ...

oskyangel, You also have gained a lot of insight from your experiences.

I applaud all women who have survived abusive relationships and not allowe dit to crush them.

My story was similer. My ex exploited my insecurities and beat me down mentally until I felt no selfworth. I suspect he was mentally unbalanced himself.

His motivation was financial. I had a greater income and perks like free air travel. He quit his job the day we married and when I did break away, threatened to sue me for alimony. Women aren't the only gold diggers out there.

I ended up giving up two houses, three antique cars, and all the monet I had to get him out of my life; it was either that or shoot him, and I wasn't about to give him my future.

Good luck sweetie, better days are coming. Be strong and try hard not to let your experiences keep you from finding a loving man who will treat you as you deserve.

malibume
Msg: 190
Posted: 4/15/2009 11:54:28 AM
Abusive relationships are hard to overcome! I personally have been there and its hard! Its a place I will never again go!
 Illinois Gal
Msg: 191
Posted: 4/15/2009 12:05:15 PM
Abuse comes in many forms.. Beware of sheep in wolfes clothing. Oh I care about you, don't want to hurt you. One time talking about the word and God and the next few min, talking about sex, all his sexual experiences with his ex.. What he was looking for..all about him. I got out of that one fast.
Mental abuse is sometimes harder to get over than physical, some one hits you, don't give them the chance to do it again. But the pain does go away, the other lingers on., so watch for the tell tale signs, and get out of the relationship.
 I_stay_fly
Msg: 193
Posted: 4/15/2009 3:22:07 PM
hmmm that could be misconstrued as a mean thing but perhaps url etting ur insecurity and the fact that u, by ur own admission are heavy, add more sting to the statement..my best friend is heavy..i lovem like a brother, we crack jokes and sumtimes who knows..maybe we go to far but we all know its just bs talk....no one is perfect, and we all have our faults and flaws...enjoy life more and if the weight thing bothers u, they try to do something about it..i am sure ur beautiful...especially to him
 forum101
Msg: 200
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2009 10:29:29 PM
Yes, Yes, Yes. I realize I am a jerk magnet. My counselor says they seek women out, like me. Kind, sympathetic, giving, nurturing. Then they test my love. How much will I put up with? I am ashamed to say, I have put up with a lot.
We lived on a private farm. Gates all locked at 5 p.m. I was locked in every evening.
He had the key to get out. When he came in the door, I had no idea what would happen. Is he in a good mood, was he mad about something at work? Was the house clean enough, the meal good enough? This was the 3rd chance he had. Yes, I actually went back for more. Bruises on my neck, my back, my arms, all covered up, so noone would see. The blows to my self esteem were the worst. Now I look for this, in every guy I date. That's why I dont date anymore. Too many show signs way too early of this type of controlling, manipulation. Fortunately, for those of us that know the true signs, we are able to distinquish the real, from the fake or unhealthy affections, and can cut it off in the early stages. We have learned bullsh**. And know it when we see it. If I have to be alone the rest of my life, at least I will know, I didnt allow another person to abuse me.
Sometimes, I think I will never put this behind me. There is just too much of it. Counselor after counselor have said, I am strong, independent. I wonder though. I think I am paranoid, scared to allow another person mean so much to me, to have that much "hold" over me, that I could accept that kind of treatment and actually forgive it.
 DudeistPriest
Msg: 201
Posted: 4/16/2009 10:38:35 PM
Yep, sure was. But try to get some one to believe you when you're the guy and you're the victim. My ex was a master at verbal, emotional, and psychological abuse. I lost a lot of friends when we got divorced because it just had to be MY fault. Over the years most of them appologised after having some experience with her and finding out first hand what a bi.tch she can be.
 717fairydust6
Msg: 202
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2009 9:54:04 PM
YES!! This persons profile appears to be "somewhat normal" long story short, the only way I got away from him was to use a "hidden" straight blade to keep him from hitting me; and thank God I had a cell phone he didn't know about. He was loving, kind, considerate, funny, etc; until after a few days he started drinking and between 1:30 p.m. and 5pm God help you, his personality changed so drastically that he would abuse you mentally, physically, sexually. I lived through a physical and mental abuse marriage many years ago, thought I "knew it all" all the "signs" etc; but this guy was smooth. For any lady's out there, ALWAYS CHECK THEIR CRIMINAL HISTORY! Turns out this guy has 13 past charges against him, mostly for physical abuse, check fraud, thier profiles are NOT what they say! Yes, I was stupid for not checking these things out before I went with him to his home, No, I am not a "whoe", I was just another lonely person out there looking for a decent man. THERE AREN'T ANY Left. Ladies, PLEASE, check their criminal records or any other records you can get a hold of, DON'T GO TO THEIR HOMES at least not until you have known them on a public basis for at least 3 months. CHECK OUT where they say they work or what they say they do; be cautious, my bruises, my scars, especially mentally of the abuse will take me another 4 or 5 years to get over. I can't believe I was so fkn stupid!!! Just be aware! THOSE PROFILES ARE BULLSHIT! Check EVERYTHING out about them before you go anywhere private or alone with them. They are not all safe!!!!! I am still learning how to use a computer believe it or not or I swear I would post this everywhere for all women, I have his name, his address, his phone number, his social security number if anyone wants it!!!! I will gladly forward this via mail or other sources. If you know how to post this message for all women, please do so!!! NO one deserves what I went through. Peace and love to all; JUST BE SAFE in your choices.
 barbee1970
Msg: 203
Posted: 4/21/2009 9:57:54 PM
I have been both mentally and physically abused by exes. I did not stick around, either. Yes, they are conivving.

That is one of the red flags I see with men on this site, too. If you disagree with some, they flip it around to make us the bad guy. It's manipulation.
 lifesfreshstart
Msg: 204
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2009 11:32:05 PM
I was married and with to my soon to be ex husband for 10 years, for 10 years he was having affiars each time he left town for work (he left 6-8 mth of every year). This I only found out in mediation that he admitted to cheating more times then he could remember....He would fly off the handle at the littlest things like his taco shell breaking just strange. After his second tour to Afghanistan it got worse and more frequant bursts of anger and he started punching holes in the wall and the final straw for me was the attack with a 4 inch BBQ knife. It took me 3 or 4 months after leaving him to finally be able to sleep a full night. I always thought I could not leave because how would I afford things on one income etc.. then someone made me realize I make good money I knew I did but just the thought of a single income household as I have never lived alone was difficut. And I had no family here cause the army moved us here I felt alone and secluded the only "family" I had here was him and that was scary...I felt I needed him....
I see his profile on POF (he comes up as a match for me...lol) and always hope and pray he will not do the same to others...
I am very careful now and think with my head and I will never settle...
 geese06
Msg: 205
Posted: 4/25/2009 8:56:32 AM
Reading these stories just makes me cry and hurt for all of us...i met a man who i thought was amazing and made him my world...the man i loved so much i found out had a violent streak thru him....

one morning he came home after work and i was up to greet him with my little girl and all i asked was why are you an hour late i was worried wish you would of called(it was snowing like a bugger) and he flipped out grabbed my neck and had me backwards over the back deck while my 8 yo stood there in fear...he told me i was a liar a beetch and worthless....i was so terrified i didnt fight back i couldnt he is so much bigger than me...after about 10 minutes he let me go....i walked into the house and he had a bag of raw hamberger and he started throwing it in my face piece by piece telling me i was a lazy old ugly piece of shit and i couldnt do anything right...i just stood there and took it....

i forgave him for all this but it never stopped he got mad one day and grabbed me and threw me on the bed and began his verbal assults on me....in his eyes no matter what i did it was never good enuf...he bad mouthed me to his mother his friends and to me...he isolated me from my friends from my family living here was like walkin on shattered glass one wrong move and youd get cut....then one day he started his crap again and he left to go party with a friend like always and of course i wasnt good enuf to be seen with him...id had it i snapped inside and i kicked him out bought bolts for the doors and text him...of course he ignored it he knew that i was useless and would let him back...he was wrong...

he came home the next morning and broke in and was walkin around like he was mr big sheet...saying you brought me here you cant make me leave...im not leaving...i had opened the blinds in the living room and sat in a chair...i had asked my mom to come up and just sit up the street while he got his stuff to make sure i was gonna be ok...i told him....im sitting right here in front of the window...and someone is watching us right now...kinda deflated his ego bubble.... right about then a cop drove down the road (thank god)and he was under the impression i had called them....i took advantage of that and said im asking you to leave if you dont then i will have someone make you leave....the look on his face was priceless

bout then the phone rang and it was a telemareter and i said yes this is *****im fine right now no please just keep watching i dont need you here yet...he though it was dispatch calling to check on me...he left and its been 2 months hes now with a girl 15 years younger and running wild...god have mercy on her soul

to all those who had the strengh to get out and stay out kudos....to those who still are in these situations....RUN and DONT look back...this is not love on either side...its simply fear and intimidation....you fear...they intimidate...hugs
 freespiritjules
Msg: 207
Posted: 5/23/2009 8:37:01 AM
Nothing aids your confidence like a big protective dog that has your back. My dog wouldnt let an angry man close to me. :) Having lived in many cities, it's nice to have a drink on the sidewalk at night with your dog too, and when people want to fight with eachother they stay away from you and your dog. Dogs are more visable than guns and excellect protection for a single woman. If you are a dog lover that is.
 stephbby
Msg: 208
Posted: 5/25/2009 12:28:08 AM
I am actually in one of those situations. I dated the guy throughout elementary, junior high and part of high school and I left him because he was abusive. About 8 months ago he told me he changed... I believed it of course.

Not even a month later, I was back on the ground with his hands around my neck. For the past 6-7 months, there hasn't been a day when he doesn't hit me for some reason. And I read other posts about people saying he hit me three times and that was it... if only I was strong enough to do that...

Finally, 2 days ago I called the police and only because he did it right in front of my daughter. I feel so bad because he is in jail now and he will be in there for a while... but I know it was the right thing.

I have never let out my full story of what he does to me or says to me but trust me ladies (and men) that it only gets worse. The cops told me that, my counselor told me and so did my dv advocate and I told them that it couldn't get worse. Boy was I wrong!!

I know that I am not as strong as I used to be, I know I will never be the same and I know that I have a tendency to go back to these men but I do hope someday I can get the help I need and that ONE friend who can sit and listen without being judgemental.

It is hard to leave, and if you have a heart like mine, it can hurt to put them in jail, but it is for his sake, and yours. Be safe everyone.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >