Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 4rumninja
Msg: 30
Do You beilieve that the mainstream media tells you the truth?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Do You believe that the mainstream media tells you the truth?
They Lie by omission, if a story doesn't fit into their liberal agenda they simply don't report it....

For example Gas prices, notice how little coverage there is about them since Obama is President?
The Wars again very little coverage..
Casualties of War again no coverage..
Unemployment very little coverage..
GDP. state of the Economy..little coverage and out right lies

What is the average price of Gas? How many have died this month in the wars?(when Bush was President there were totals on the news all the time) More have died in Afghanistan during Obamas reign than died the whole time Bush was President..
What is the real Unemployment Rate?

Not reporting News Worthy events and information is worse than reporting with Bias, at least if you report with Bias the news gets out there and the public can make up their own minds...
 flyguy51
Msg: 31
Do You beilieve that the mainstream media tells you the truth?
Posted: 8/3/2011 5:06:12 AM

For example Gas prices, notice how little coverage there is about them since Obama is President?
The Wars again very little coverage..
Casualties of War again no coverage..
Unemployment very little coverage..
GDP. state of the Economy..little coverage and out right lies

I hear and read about these things without even trying to. I don't even have TV. Are you sure you aren't "listening by omission"?

Plus, you have the most popular name in cable news to follow your agenda and most of the radio pundits.
 4rumninja
Msg: 32
Posted: 8/3/2011 5:44:58 AM
Really? So how many died in Afghanistan last month? what is the average price of Gas? What is the Unemployment rate? don't look it up .....

I do not have cable so the only news I get is from network TV...or I have to look online....

You really can't see the difference can you? Remember when Bush was President all the reports about death tolls, the Gas price coverage etc...Really? If not then maybe you weren't/aren't listening or watching at all...
 flyguy51
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/3/2011 7:42:43 AM
I have read that July was the deadliest month for soldiers in Iraq in over a year, that gas is $3.70 per gallon, higher than expected, job creation is much lower than expected and hoped, double dip recession is mentioned a lot, debt crisis is mentioned constantly, the tagline "Obama is criticized by liberals and conservatives" just the other day...

Maybe you aren't listening or watching at all...
 mateo45
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 8/3/2011 8:26:08 AM
Am not that enamored with Obama, but considering the alternatives, things could be a whole lot worse (for starters all you gotta do is look at all these irresponsible Tea Party clowns who just nearly trashed the country's credit rating)!

And BTW, don't forget that this is the biggest economic disaster we've faced since the Great Depression, and we didn't pull out of that one until WWII! So yeah, too bad about that part about Obama being a "failure".... that is for failing to clean things up fast enuff!

Guess what he really needs is some of that GOP "magical thinking" to make problems just "disappear", kinda the same way they go, "Dubya?... who was that?!!" ;-p
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 35
Posted: 8/3/2011 8:38:08 AM
The "Tea Party Clowns" are a breath of fresh air in a very stuffy Washington, they are NOT HAPPY with the same-old same-old D.C. shuffle.
The elections of last November indicate that many Americans feel the same way.
Sorry, Obama, Reid and Pelosi, and all others who stray from actually doing the things they were elected to perform. That kind of job satisfaction will no longer be tolerated.
Voters are fed up, Mateo. Do you get it?
 4rumninja
Msg: 36
Posted: 8/3/2011 8:44:36 AM

^^You don't have cable news, but you know what they're showing? That's a contradiction.
Not really, thought Cable news wasn't mainstream and Network News was...Cable "News" shows all show bias either left or right...used to watch when I had cable, funny to see how the same subject was reported so differently depending on the outlet reporting..Network news simply ignores stories...

And BTW, don't forget that this is the biggest economic disaster we've faced since the Great Depression, and we didn't pull out of that one until WWII! So yeah, too bad about that part about Obama being a "failure".... that is for failing to clean things up fast enuff!
Not to sure about the biggest economic disaster by the time Obama took office, it seems to me the Economy got worse after he took Office and implemented his Lack of Stimulus plan..the markets were pretty stable due to TARP and what not....he took office spent a ton of money on nothing ..created no jobs, scared the market, proposed business killing policies,and made things worse....
Two and a hall years later and a Trillion dollars later and the economy is stagnate,,obviously he did not know what he was doing when he implemented his "Stimulus plan", the argument about how bad it really was or how bad it could have been etc is BS...How do you Know?
Liberals use that argument all the time...it was worse than expected etc..why are things always worse than they thought or expected? Because they have no Idea what they are doing....
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/6/2011 12:25:37 PM
Of course the mainstream media tells us the truth, as "they" see it.
"They" being overwhelmingly on the Left side of the aisle.
 flyguy51
Msg: 38
Posted: 8/6/2011 4:37:51 PM

"They" being overwhelmingly on the Left side of the aisle.

But what about the people who sign "their" paychecks?

If the MM were that lefty, we would have been hearing much more about Ralph Nader, Dennis Kucinich, Iraqi citizen death tolls and collateral damages, depleted uranium munitions, landmine deaths worldwide, artificially low tax rates, corporate cronyism, industrial pollution (legal and illegal)... the list is virtually endless.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2011 4:32:21 PM
I DO believe that all of even the most angry strident and obviously intensely biased people who post on the forums, all THINK they are telling me the truth. Whether they are right biased, left biased, or centrist-forced, they all THINK they know what the REAL story is.

The so-called "mainstream media" are no different. Most of them have established a set of operating principles to guide themselves, in order to stay organized, and to help themselves pretend to be unbiased, at least to the public. Those guidelines are NOT designed, however, to avoid presenting falsehoods as facts, they are simply designed to prevent themselves from being successfully SUED for presenting falsehoods as facts. This is why you will so often hear them QUOTE a wing nut, rather than say themselves what THEY believe to be true. That way, they can tell the story they want, using other people's words, and escape all legal responsibility.

But no, nobody really tells the unvarnished, factual truth. They can't, really. As soon as someone claims to be supplying the entire reason for an event occurring, no matter what it is, they are displaying bias. This is because almost everything that happens has roots that run far into the past.
 cotter
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2011 8:22:31 AM

WE know better what is good for the world.
LMAO ... probably never heard the oxymoron "Compassionate Conservative".

No ... that's why I have no qualms about missing the evening news.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2011 4:14:21 PM
lol i just found this article again

according to this geezer your msm is truth personified

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/201001/british-newspapers-make-things

heres just a wee sample of the article

''that British journalists are as decent and conscientious as American journalists, and therefore that, once the errors in their reporting are pointed out to them, they would be ashamed and be quick to issue a correction or retraction. ''
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2011 12:49:42 AM
I believe the main stream media tells me the truth as much as i believe that the fly spaghetti monster is real.

So in short no, which is why i try to avoid network cable news stations as all of them are biases and have their own agenda.
 where4
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/30/2012 6:31:15 PM
^^^@ msg. #51:

Not sure what your point is here. Surely you don't suggest that the text you supplied is from an unbiased source, right? Never mind the topic is biased news, of course. But are you seriously suggesting the above biased commentary about biased news from biased media ownership is somehow neutral in intent?

I'm feeling a bit dizzy here...

PS: it would be helpful if you were to make clear indication of what text is your own thinking/writing versus what text it is that you're quoting. Remember, we have the tools here to accomplish this.

This allows you to quote a previous post.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2012 7:06:26 PM

Do You beilieve that the mainstream media tells you the truth about what's going on in the world with politics ?

First off, just what in the world is "the truth about what's going on in politics"? Is there ANY objective observer anywhere, media or not, on politics? If you injected Obama and each of the four Republican candidates with truth serum and asked them to tell you what the 'truth' was about any political issue do you think you'd get two answers that were the same?

There is no way to learn the 'truth' about politics. All one can do is gather as much information as possible from as many different sources as possible and come to your own conclusions. And I promise you, those conclusions will vary vastly from one person to the next, even if they consult exactly the same sources.

Secondly, having been the subject of numerous media reports in years past, I can promise you that NO media source gets everything right. Some do better than others but they all make mistakes. Occasionally a reporter has a predetermined agenda, but more often they're just in a hurry to meet their deadline and came to the story with little background information. I always take ANYTHING I get from the media with a grain of salt.

The absolute best reporter I've ever dealt with is Jeff Young, who often hosts the NPR program Living on Earth. He does his research, seeks out the best counter opinion source for any featured perspective, and takes whatever steps necessary to make sure he has his facts right. Over the years he probably interviewed me a dozen times and even though he would always include perspectives different from mine, he never misquoted me, edited my sound bites to appear to say something different than intended, or so far as I could tell got any background information wrong.

Good reporters ARE out there, but everyone makes mistakes. Never trust just one source.
 where4
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/31/2012 7:18:15 PM

I had no reason to use it [quote feature] in the post in question as I wrote its entirety. (the copyright is my own)

Oh, I see. Israeli spokeswoman Tzipora Menache is a personal friend of yours so you simply related one of your recent conversations with her? OK, that explains it now. So you vouch for the credibility of your impartial source, Tzipora Menache, is that it?
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2012 9:56:53 PM

As per my prior post, every single media outlet in the US is owned or controlled by three entities.

Really.

Which of those three owns NPR? Here in WV there are two daily newspapers in Charleston. Their editorial positions are consistently opposed to each other. Very rarely will they ever endorse the same candidate for anything. I learn quite a bit by reading both of them. I don't take what either presents as the "truth".

The truth about politics is very much an eye of the beholder thing. Any political perspective is essentially a philosophy, a point of view, a strategy those holding it think will be best for whoever they care about. There's no 'truth' to it.

I've spent a lot of time with a lot of media people over the years. I've dated a few. I've even written a few pieces that appeared unedited in various media outlets. I've heard no mention of blacklists, much less prison sentences here in the U.S..

No question some media outlets slant their coverage to one party or the other. Many over emphasize sensationalism and tragedy while giving short shrift to good news and signs of progress. But I just don't buy the concept of three puppeteers controlling it all. I've known too many good journalists who DID succeed in doing good reporting and still do today. When one of them gets muzzled or thrown in jail I'll revisit your perspective.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Just a poll for the people into politics.
Posted: 2/2/2012 10:48:00 PM
I will believe that the mainstream media isn't unbiased when i see frogs growing wings and flying. LOL They all have their agenda's there is no such thing anymore as unbiased journalism in the mainstream media. Fox News, MSNBC, CNN, CBS, ABC, NBC, New York Times, New York Post, Washington Post, Washington Journal etc.. are all guilty of playing the favorite card to a side, some show it a lot more then others though. This is why i mostly ignore media outlets now and go to sites like fact check which was ironically started due in part to the media spin of today, that's an unbiased site that shows truths and faults on either side with actual proof based on actual statements and documents to those that they are reviewing what is true and what is false based on what they said and not put some biased spin on it or put something out of contents to favor their side like mainstream media does. This is what happens when a lot of money gets involved. It's all about the big money for mainstream media. The more spin and drama they put on their so called news the more people tend to watch or buy into it. I mean I'll take CNN for example they used to be left now they have centered themselves more to the center/left than left recently. Why? Did they just have this sudden change of heart? LOL no. Were their ratings tanking since Dobbs and went to Fox and King left the network where most of the independents and conservative base viewed their network during those time slots, which where the highest rated programs on CNN? Yes. So, they went out and got more independents/conservative commentators to appeal to that base like Erin Burnett, Ari Fleischer, Alex Castellanos etc.. to get better ratings in an attempt to bring those types of viewers that they lost back. Big money is what drives mainstream media in what they put out now of days, which has caused a lot more corruption in the news media then in years past. Sad, that you cannot even watch what is supposed to be news anymore without someone putting their own biased spin on it.
 where4
Msg: 48
Posted: 2/3/2012 2:10:58 AM
Fact is, folks, we live in a very complex world.

I—like most everybody else, I think—would like it very much if there was one person or source of information where I could turn with complete trust in order to learn all the important stuff that I need to know. It doesn’t exist. To expect this is naïve. Actually, in a democracy it’s dangerous to expect this!

Once upon a time humans thought they had a trustworthy source of all knowledge and human wisdom in their parish priest. Or minister. Or mullah. Or Delphic oracle. Tribal witchdoctor. Whatever! Gee, God spoke to that guy, right? Or, at least he was able to read what God supposedly wrote. Or what God told the Chosen Guys to write. Right?

Then we grew up. We learned of church sex abuse scandals. The money changers and grabbers. In Pennsylvania we learned that beloved Pittsburgh Channel 4 TV personality Nick Perry was a crook when he drew the Pennsylvania lottery numbers on TV. I think he’s still in jail doing time for that breach of trust. Duplicity from trusted leaders abounds. Jerry Sandusky of Penn State--respected coach, community leader and founder of scripture-inspired The Second Mile charity for needy boys in central PA--has fallen from grace. Dragged poor old JoePa with him, too. This kind of rude reality has always been and it will never end. Question everybody and everything!

Learn to analyze information and sources for credibility. Learn to distinguish opinion from reporting. Understand the importance of context when considering quotes.

Oh, I know, it’s soooooooooo much easier to let those talking heads sift through all the stuff of the day and spoonfeed it to you with their own prioritized ‘take’ on the world. You get what you settle for. In the case of those who don’t know any better, we as a society get what they settle for as truth - when unscrupulous charismatic leaders abuse the power they hold for swaying political opinion. Everyone gets a vote here—even the naïve and deluded. Smart cynical guys like the late politico Lee Atwater used to laugh about the inherent power of persuasive communication over unquestioning people.

When Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson and those other famous guys of old wrote our nation’s founding documents they knew what they were doing when they tried to create a separation of church and state. They understood the power of charismatic leadership in inspiring the trusting faithful to act. Remember the witch trials and burnings in Massachusetts? The founding fathers knew all about that stuff. Fast forward to the Joseph McCarthy hearings and Hollywood blacklisting of the 1950s. Atheistic commies under every rock! They decried their own ‘war on religion’ back then, too. Gee, it was then that they added “under God” to the pledge of allegiance. God was on Joe McCarthy’s side, dammit!

Why is it that churches are tax exempt? Is that in the U.S. Constitution? NO! That tradition was born of the fact that church property was exempt from taxation in England, the motherland. Why, you should ask, was that the case? Because the king was the head of the Church of England! England had a state religion! Churches and pastors were a special privileged class of the king’s realm.Tradition! D’oh! Despite the establishment clause in our own constitution it wasn’t until 1954, when then-Senator Lyndon Johnson realized that the local preachers were all against him and instructing their flocks to vote against him that he introduced what is now known as the “Johnson Amendment” to the IRS tax code which says certain political activity in a church will cause their tax exempt status to be revoked.

Now, even this atheist respects that the founding fathers probably paid homage to the fact that churches can be a force for good in society when they teach morality and the basic golden rule in Sunday school. Even this atheist doesn’t advocate abolishing churches. Just keep their all-too-human, too-often-malevolent political force far away from my government! Lyndon Johnson simply codified that notion into the tax code.

Be aware that now there is a group of preachers and legal eagles trying to force a Supreme Court challenge of said Johnson Amendment in order to go back to the ‘good old days’ of preachers endorsing specific candidates. The Pulpit Initiative:
http://adfwebadmin.com/userfiles/file/Pulpit_Initiative_executive_summary_candidates%203_11_10.pdf?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Here’s the Pulpit Initiative plan for 2012:
http://speakupmovement.org/church/LearnMore/details/4702

Gee, Glenn Beck loves the Pulpit Initiative idea:
http://blog.speakupmovement.org/church/churches-and-politics/glenn-beck-and-pastor-jim-garlow-on-pulpit-freedom-sunday/

Moving right along, here’s an article from Tampa Bay Times, just last week leading up to the Florida primary, where the Newtster is on a conference call with pastors from all around, spouting off about his personal faith and what he intends to do in government to help the Christian faithful of the land. Gee, is it any surprise Pastor Jim Garlow of Pulpit Initiative fame is leading the discussion?

JANUARY 26, 2012
Gingrich tells pastors there is a 'war against religion'
[…]
“I think we are in a war against religion,'' Gingrich said during the call, which was openly recorded and made available to the Herald/Times. "I think the elites are bigoted secularists. I think we have judges who are dictatorial. I think we have constant pressure against religious expression.”
As he has done with pastors in other states, the former U.S. congressman used the opportunity to talk about his call for a Commission on Religious Freedom and his proposal to end "judicial activism."[…]

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-buzz-florida-politics/content/gingrich-tells-pastors-there-war-against-religion#comments

I consider the Tampa Bay Times article to be a fair piece of journalism here. Why? They are not telling you what to think about this. They are simply reporting and documenting that this took place. It’s up to you, the reader, to form your own opinion about it. However, take due notice:

…the pastors emphasized their power to move voters into Gingrich's camp.

Gee, does that sound a bit too scary to you? It definitely does to me!

Moving on again, remember Rick Perry’s sucky commercial from December? Beating the same drum of the fictional “Obama’s war on religion.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAJNntoRgA

Gee, ya think Republicans have a mantra going here? They don’t need to put up any evidence of said “war on religion,” but if you’re one of the trusting faithful, well, hey, maybe you’ll believe that the president of the United States of America really is waging a war on religion! Oh my! Lions and tigers and bears! Oh my! … He’s a muslim! … He’s Kenyan! Rick Santorum didn’t bother to correct a member of his audience recently when the guy picked up the long-ago-debunked president-as-muslim chant again. Santorum said it’s not his job to correct such a notion. Hypocrisy, much, RickieBoy?

And now we have this bullsh!t of Susan G. Komen withdrawing monetary support for Planned Parenthood to provide mammograms for poor women, all because Komen is being run by rightwing forces now. (Too lazy to provide my source for that, you'll have to use the google yourself. Go ahead.) Anyway, to hell with the mission of providing women with health services. We ALL gotta play the political pandering game now, too! And the Catholic bishops making all their noise because they don’t want their non-Catholic employees to have free access to birth control as the law requires of all employers now. It’s not enough for the bishops to control women’s health choices in their churches. Their church-related organizations employ all faiths of women and the bishops want to control the reproductive choices of ALL of them. All the bishops have to do, in reality, is forego federal funding for their programs! It’s very simple. If you have your hand out for federal monies to employ people in your hospitals and social service agencies then you have to play by federal employment rules just like everybody else in the same marketplace! But no, we’ll just beat the drum on ‘Obama’s war on religion’ for our political purposes.

By the way, how many of the Republican candidates in this current race started out with saying that God told them he wanted them to run for president? Just think about that… D’oh! They were all the anointed ones, I guess, huh? Each one of them has a direct line to heaven, it seems.

Obviously, now, I’ve gone off on a tangent here since religion mixing with politics is a particular sore spot for me. The point is, YOU have to take responsibility to connect the dots and put the pieces of information together, then sift through it all. Shame on you if you let some blowhard—either TV/radio pundit or politician or pastor or professor—interpret reality for you and then just swallow whole everything they tell you!!!

If you’re not skeptical you’re a d*mn fool! Learn to recognize good reporting for yourself! Pay attention to how it’s edited and check sources. If you didn’t pay enough attention in high school English class now’s time to realize that the teachers were trying to equip you with important critical reading skills for your adult life. A well-educated public is important for a democracy to work properly. Our vaunted founding fathers were well-educated men! I believe they’d spin in their graves to know about the charismatic charlatans who control the ignorant electorate nowadays! Sly cynical politicians cry war on the “Harvard elites” now, as if smart, well-educated people in the country are your enemy simply because they’re well-educated and smart - gee, kinda like those founding father guys, ya know! If you aren’t confident enough in your critical reading and thinking skills to know the difference between journalism and opinion-mongering, please know that it’s never too late to sign up for another English class at your local community college!

-----------------------------

EDITORIAL NOTE: The preceding was brought to you by a caffeinated writer who expects you to be able to evaluate which parts of it constitute opinion, which parts are documented facts, and how to evaluate the whole for your own conclusions. Develop your critical language skills (reading, listening, writing). Follow the links and use the google-thing to fact-check internet articles when you can. This newfangled technology’s great! Be a skeptic! Don’t take any wooden nickels! (If you are unable to figure these things out, please, do the rest of your country a favor and stay home on election day!)
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2012 4:09:49 AM

In Pennsylvania we learned that beloved Pittsburgh Channel 4 TV personality Nick Perry was a crook when he drew the Pennsylvania lottery numbers on TV. I think he’s still in jail doing time for that breach of trust.

Didn't they make a movie about that a while ago? I think i saw it but wasn't sure.

I must admit i' did admire his effort though lol. At one point or another i think many people prob thought about doing the same thing, rigging the lottery and becoming a millionaire.
 where4
Msg: 50
Posted: 2/3/2012 4:17:32 AM
I don't know about the movie, but I looked him up a little while ago and learned that he's no longer serving time for his crime. He's been dead since 2003! See, we learn new stuff on this internet all the time! It's so cool that we no longer need to depend on the 6 o'clock news anymore!
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2012 4:28:17 AM
Or outdated encyclopedias and in my case way outdated encyclopedias lol. I was still using an encyclopedia from 1981 for school research that my parents had for years. My mom used to always insist that those books were still good that were 15 years old until I got a computer with internet access back in 1996 so that i never had to deal with outdated encyclopedias again. Problem was i used the computer for everything but school research lol, but it did help me get a career later on in the tech field so not all was lost...

Hmmm...They actually did come out with a movie based on that called Lucky Numbers back in 2000 starring John Travolta.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0219952/

I could have swore I saw this movie before, now that i've seen who was in it.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 52
Posted: 2/3/2012 6:50:57 AM
Where4, I think I love your cerebellum.

What consistantly floors me is the ridiculous claim of the "Librul Media". Really? What utter and complete bullshite. The major media is owne wholly by very large, very rich, corporations. Bain Capital are MAJORITY owners of Clear Channel communications, which controls voices like Rush, Beck, Hannity, and so on.

So someone please explain to me how and when these mega huge corporations became "Liberal"? No, it's just like the "War on Religion". When certain people, oh hell, lets call a spade a spade, when the Right wing runs across a fact that either shames them or they dont' want the public to know, they scream like stuck pigs about "Librul media!"

We see, DAILY, the media talking heads, so called "journalists", allowing the Right wing politicos lie, bald faced, without the slightest bit of push back from the people who are supposed to be the voice and protectors of the people. Real Journalism died with Walter Cronkite and Edward R. Murrow. When scum like Newt Gingrich can brag about putting Juan Williams "In his place", or the Sunday talking head shows are overwhelmingly filled with Right Wing politicians (I dare you, look at this Sundays "News" shows, and compare the number of GOP politicians/mouthpieces to the Dem or Independant ones. I'm guessing, but I'd bet it's almost 90% or better GOP. Nearly everyone agrees that John McCain is past his sell by date, but he is almost ALWAYS one of these shows. Why?). So please, don't tell us the media is "Liberal".
 mrcs84
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2012 4:32:53 PM
Well, there are a lot of half-truths and political spins and such. These media outlets have to contend with each other, so they have to have some sort of means to set themselves apart from the other outlets. Otherwise, I imagine that all the information would be the same.
 cotter
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2012 4:48:36 PM

No ... not really. But I've known that for a long, long time ... since back in the 70's and 80's when I lived in Europe and got the truth in news.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >