Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DLo!
Msg: 206
view profile
History
Would you date someone on antidepressants?Page 16 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
I dated a girl that started taking anti-dees while we were dating saying I was driving her crazy!!!
 Race25
Msg: 207
view profile
History
Would you date someone on antidepressants?
Posted: 7/7/2008 6:36:34 AM
I dated a woman that occasionally took antidepressants and we had a pretty good relationship. Im thinking that the exact diagnossi is more relevant than the prescription. Mild clinical drepression vs manic phychotic depression..... I would go with the first but not the second!
 kokomogirl46902
Msg: 208
Posted: 7/7/2008 6:48:36 AM
The question is whether you would DATE someone on antidepressants? Wow, are people really disclosing their personal medical history prior to a date with someone? A bigger WOW, are people really requesting personal medical history prior to asking someone on a date? We are not talking about a communicable disease here, even then, I'm not real sure PRIOR to an initial date is even appropriate. What happened to getting to know someone for who they are? What happened to if this person I've met on this date turned out to not be what I'm looking for, but I'd love to remain friends? I'm not on any form of any type of medication, so it's not as if I'm being biased in any way. And from way back in the posts, yes your right a person cannot cause you to be on antidepressants, but a situation brought on my being with a person, can cause you to seek medical help. Not all people get out of a relationship when they should! Seems we are all in for trouble when people are looking for COMPLETE perferfection in a member of the opposite sex. Come on, who is PERFECT?
 yooperbrat03
Msg: 210
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2008 3:13:36 PM
And as afew others have said - those that are activly on anti-depressants are usually in a state of mind that they "want" to be happier people. Meds is only 20 - 30% affective according to msot docters - the rest is up to the will and desire of the person.

This is very true. Meds are only a small part of the whole picture. Please realize that I am speakin from personal experience here, but over the years I've learned I need to listen to my body and what it is saying to me as to what's wrong. Ya know that little voice we all have. A lot of recovery from mental illness (depression, bi polar) is self motivation and finding inner strength. It's not easy to do, especially when you hit the rough times.

Dating can and is filled with with a lot of pitfalls and land mines. The one good thing about them is when you make it through them you find yourself a stronger and wiser person. It's sad that some do not realize this and see only the mental illness "label" and choose not to date you because of this. The flip side of the coin though is when you do begin dating someone and they realize the inner strength you have because of all you have struggled through, and you continue to do so, you know your life has become blessed.

Brat

*Edited to add this post is for the question relating to those on antidepresants used for mental illness.
 Quazi 100
Msg: 212
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2008 7:51:37 AM

Would I date? I have. The issue at hand was due to traumatic experiences (post-traumatic stress disorder) Is it the reason why we are no longer together? no. When we were together, I believed deep inside she is strong enough to overcome her fears and learn to handle the triggers that caused panic attacks, I still do. It just takes time.

Panic attacks.....used to have them all the time....got over them.....just had one for the first time in probably 3 years ago, just the other day....really surprised me.

I'm going back to school in Sept. and had just paid my tuition fees...went to Tim Horton's for a coffee, and sure enough....heart pounding, dizzy, sweating...the whole thing.
I just thought, wow, I must be more nervous about this than I thought.

Here's how I solved my panic attacks...ignore them...carry on with what you're doing....concentrate on it and don't even pay attention to the symptoms of the attack.

Here's how I see it...the attack is triggered...in my case by paying my tuition fees...my body starts to react...heart beats faster, I get a dizzy feeling, I start to sweat....

Here is the crucial part:

You now have two ways to go....react to the attack, or ignore the attack.

If you react to the attack, you are telling your brain, YES, we are in danger, send in the troops.....Did I need the troops in Tim Horton's....no....had I said yes, my brain would take it that non threatening situations are actually threatening, and try to send in the troops more often. The more you say yes to the troops, the more often they think you're in danger. In other words, you are training your brain to react to danger, when none is really present.

In Tim Horton's I said NO, and totally ignored the symptoms of the attack. By the time I sat down with my coffee, they were gone. The troops were called, but I told them that they weren't needed.

Don't get me wrong, this does take practice, but I was pretty determined, so it didn't take that long for me. It might not work the first time, but if you keep practicing, you will notice a difference.

And, just because you think you have them beat, doesn't mean it will never happen again...as in my case last week. I knew what caused it, (still works, if you don't know the trigger) I told it to go away, it went away, haven't had a problem since.

I hope this helps somebody....
 Quazi 100
Msg: 214
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2008 9:29:01 AM
missdix..

Sorry, I should have stated that I take a/d's, and have for a number of years.

My anxiety would break right through the meds.

After a hundred or so attacks (easily), I realized that I wasn't going to die, or go crazy, or even pass out.....and I was sick of them....not afraid of them.

I found that getting rid of that one component of my problems, made a big difference in my stress level. But again, I was determined to get rid of them.

Good luck with your ongoing battles...my heart goes out to you.
 jackster121
Msg: 218
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2008 6:19:51 PM
Simply put yes. Sometimes however when people regularly take their meds., they feel fine and think they no longer need them That is the only problem I could forsee.
 Vannili
Msg: 220
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2008 11:02:00 AM
No I only date a person with a healthy mind and body.
 Vannili
Msg: 221
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2008 11:11:59 AM
Qoute- Would you date not someone because they had a flu ? NO. The reason is I don't want to catch the flu virus and I don't enjoy being sick to missed work or having fun. Beside it is not fun to suffer for aches and pains.* abstractrelation* Have you heard about common sense ? I have heard it is not really that common.........
 namrael
Msg: 222
Posted: 10/7/2008 1:22:06 PM

alot of people taking anitdepressants end up comitting suicide.

Um, not the vast majority of us.

I take antidepressants. You wouldn't know I'm depressed unless you saw me without them, but I don't put myself in that position. Dysthymia (chronic, low-grade depression) runs in my family.

I wouldn't not date someone who took antidepressants, anti-anxiety meds, etc. I WOULD decide not to date someone who was unstable, but there's not necessarily a correlation between taking psychoactive pharmaceuticals and a lack of stability.
 VAPurr
Msg: 224
Posted: 10/7/2008 2:19:33 PM
I didn't know taking prozac was bad.

20% of the population has emotional problems, I have read.

VAPurr
 phishkev
Msg: 225
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2008 8:52:38 AM
Here we go again-what is the deal? Would I date somebody who ate potato chips when I don't? Who cares? It's all about ATTRACTION and chemistry-why bother with such petty sh*t-you just may miss out on somebody fab! Damn!
 rayray34
Msg: 226
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2008 1:28:15 PM
Guys can be jerks. I'm on antidepressants and I totally understand. I am a guy and other guys view another guy as being weak or whatever if he has to take medicine- they won't ever really know until they have to take them. Take care.

Ray

diamonds_or_pearls
Msg: 230
Posted: 11/1/2008 7:09:01 AM
I openly admit that I take antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds to try to quell the stigma that they have.
My depression is generational. I have tracked it back to my great grandfather. That's 4 generations that have suffered, and possibly more. Some were more severe than others. A few years ago I had a stroke and the dr. told me that I will possibly have to be on antidepressants for life. At one point, during my divorce, I was on the highest dose, but have worked my way down to the lowest. I tried several different ones before finding that Zoloft worked the best for me.

The anti-anxiety (Xanax XR) is taken daily, but I also have regular Xanax that I rarely take unless I am really upset about something. I have PTSD and the XR really helps me.

I wish I could be normal and not have to take them, but I'm not, and there is nothing I can do about it. We can't all be alike. I'd give anything not to be this way, but it's the way I am, and I can't be ashamed of it. People need to realize that there are many more sufferers of depression that are untreated because they are concerned how other people will view them if they find out about it. We as a society need to be more understanding and compassionate.
 namrael
Msg: 231
Posted: 11/1/2008 3:54:48 PM

No, since almost all meds cause sexual dysfunction. I do not need to deal with that on top of someone who can't get through the day without a pill to calm their mental illness. I want a partner, not someone who needs to be taken care of, who can't even have a nomal sex life. No thanks.

That's an amazingly ignorant view. Most SSRIs have sexual side effects listed. A side effect is something that CAN occur in certain users. I've been on several different antidepressants at various points, and not a single one has ever caused sexual dysfunction for me. That something is a potential side effect does not indicate that it is a foregone conclusion, by any stretch.

I don't need to be taken care of, and would frankly resent the attentions of anyone who tried to do just that. I have a chemical imbalance, and you'd have no idea I was on antidepressants unless I specifically mentioned it. I'm a stable person, and I'm a great no-drama romantic partner who expects my partner to deal with his own issues just as I deal with mine.

Then again, I'd be just as happy not to date anyone with such a clearly uninformed view.
 Quazi 100
Msg: 232
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2008 8:37:33 PM

Anti depressants don't work if it's situational. It only works if it's chemical. Anti depressants and anti anxiety meds have lots of side effects. While I commend those who seek treatment for these conditions, I would not want to get involved with someone who has those problems.

My line of work parallels this subject, so I understand all the responsiblity that comes with getting involved with someone on those meds. I would always be looking at them from the clinical aspect.

So....let me get this straight.

Someone with situational depression....which could turn out to be chronic, and suggest pathology other than a simple chemical depression....is ok to date.

But someone with a chemical imbalance, who is aware of the problem, and seeking help for it, is not worthy to date?

We all have pathlogy to some degree Jazzythecat....you should know that. Do you think that because of your "station" in life that you are immune from such mundane issues as depression and anxiety? If so, think again........
 Vannili
Msg: 234
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2008 7:04:16 AM
I will not date a person with unhealthy mind,even I am that desparate and he is the only man on earth.
 Quazi 100
Msg: 235
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2008 7:15:50 AM
I will not date a person with unhealthy mind,even I am that desparate and he is the only man on earth.

Will you please share with us, Vannili your foolproof method of detecting people with an "unhealthy" mind?

I'm sure that many here would like to avoid dating people with an "unhealthy" mind.
 Vannili
Msg: 236
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2008 8:44:07 AM
Quazi 100__ It is easy as flipping a pancake if a person tells you that he is taking antidepressant,you won't think that he has a healthy mind don't you? I met a few guys with unhealthy mind , (online datings/at work) I just talk to them in a casual way by sense of humor you can make a person laugh and comfortable,and they can be open to you, listen to their body language their eyes movement, this is a learned method. I am good on detecting a character on seeing them in person. Women can avoid if they have a good control of their sexual/high/vulnerable feelings when meeting a man,his voice,sweet talk ,his shoulder ,his touch, his looks is intoxicating,plus that hard drinks you are taking with him"",ooohhh his ex mean wife treats him so badly she even took his few dollars from his wallet ,now he is broke to pay for your drinks,and he was deprive for sex in a week and you are the most beautiful and they best woman he ever meet"". you can take that bait or not>>> Really you met unhealthy mind people out there not just men ,women too... Because of alchohol,street drugs,poor upbringing ,stagnant mentality. I am not speaking of others, this just me I look for a man that is healthy mind and body = decency,integrity, can take the challenge of life unscruple. It is a simple fact that a person with antidepressants will ask the question if you will date him/her. For he/she fully knows that it is a drag down and painful and she can't contribute very much on a healthy relationship .. But he/she is being honest..
 Quazi 100
Msg: 237
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2008 9:23:16 AM

Quazi 100__ It is easy as flipping a pancake if a person tells you that he is taking antidepressant,you won't think that he has a healthy mind don't you? I met a few guys with unhealthy mind , (online datings/at work) I just talk to them in a casual way by sense of humor you can make a person laugh and comfortable,and they can be open to you, listen to their body language their eyes movement, this is a learned method. I am good on detecting a character on seeing them in person. Women can avoid if they have a good control of their sexual/high/vulnerable feelings when meeting a man,his voice,sweet talk ,his shoulder ,his touch, his looks is intoxicating,plus that hard drinks you are taking with him"",ooohhh his ex mean wife treats him so badly she even took his few dollars from his wallet ,now he is broke to pay for your drinks,and he was deprive for sex in a week and you are the most beautiful and they best woman he ever meet"". you can take that bait or not>>> Really you met unhealthy mind people out there not just men ,women too... Because of alchohol,street drugs,poor upbringing ,stagnant mentality. I am not speaking of others, this just me I look for a man that is healthy mind and body = decency,integrity, can take the challenge of life unscruple. It is a simple fact that a person with antidepressants will ask the question if you will date him/her. For he/she fully knows that it is a drag down and painful and she can't contribute very much on a healthy relationship .. But he/she is being honest..

Ah, I see....so after you have detected a good character on seeing them in person, and women can avoid their sexual feelings....and the man looks like he is decent and has integrity...and you make sure that he doesn't take an antidepressant...that will drag down the relationship, and make it unhealthy because he can't contribute....then the relationship will be a good one?
 lovinglife369
Msg: 238
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2008 8:44:25 PM
8ui think that folks that aren't in the medical field have no business dissing depression/anxiety meds......you never know....one day you may need them.....
my situation is my husband of 27 yrs became ill......long....dragging, multi conditional illness.....had episodes where he didn't know who/where he was, etc. many hospitalizations.....icu visits, etc. And then, had a major surgical operation and was in intensive care for 3 months straight.....let me give you a little "insight" into depression...../helplessness....etc. The point I am trying to make is you never know from person to person what one has been through.......try give others a break
 junipermoon
Msg: 242
view profile
History
Posted: 11/3/2008 3:43:45 PM

It is better to date someone who is on anti-depressants and needs them, than someone who is not on anti-depressants and needs them.

i hear you! it sucks when someone screams, cries, rants and raves, begs for help, yet insists that they don't have a problem. hello??? they'll never find help if they don't admit that they have a problem.
 diamonds_or_pearls
Msg: 244
Posted: 11/4/2008 9:05:21 AM
I had a co-worker that was married to a man for about 20 years and one day he told her that he was hearing voices telling him to kill himself. They had 2 young sons and one had just been diagnosed with diabetes and the other had leukemia. One day he started hearing the voices, then thinking the house was bugged, among other things. He was diagnosed as schitzophrenic and was put on medicine for it. He did real well with the medicine but then would start thinking he was better and stop. His wife had him committed 3 times and each time he would do good then backslide.

What I'm saying is that mental illness can come on at anytime. They had been together for about 20 years and one day it just showed up. So unless you can see the future, the person that you think is perfect and makes you happy, may develop a mental illness, and then what would you do-----leave him because of it?
 Quazi 100
Msg: 247
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2009 8:30:58 AM
I'm sure a lot of people will say yes, but most of them have never read the warning labels on some of the meds, just the side effects of the meds without any depression can turn a person into a public menace.... personally i think if someone is taking anything stronger than wellbutrin, they should either be in a hospital or staying at their psyciatrists house, but I'd wager if they showed up there the shrink would call the cops and have a restraining order the next morning.

Funny, Wellbutrin was one of the A/D's that put me into a manic phase. I cleaned a very intricately carved wooden desk with an airhorn....it was really loud, but man, did it get rid of the dust.........

Side effects are taken from test studies of the drug. Every reaction to the drug is recorded, good and bad. The reaction to the drug comes from the person's brain chemistry. Unlike most people, I react to a new drug the first time I take it. Most people take 4-6 weeks to even feel the effects. I know within 3 days if I will be able to take any drug. Usually what happened, was that by the third day, I would be awake all night. That meant that if I didn't stop, I would head into a manic phase, like the one mentioned above.

A/D's are also prescribed for a number of other uses, other than depression. Amitriptyline, a tri-cyclic antidepressant is often used to help with the pain of nerve damage. It turns off pain receptors, lessening the pain.

So.....not everyone on A/D's is depressed....that's a huge assumption to make.....
 Vannili
Msg: 251
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2009 8:51:44 AM
If am on antidepressant or antianxiety pill yes I would date him as the saying goes "birds with the same feathers flock together"..
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >